PDA

View Full Version : America’s safest cities

horses4courses
11-13-2014, 09:27 AM
For all you fear mongers out there, violent crime continues to trend lower.
Seems like many posters on here are afraid to unlock their front doors.

Interesting that 7 out of 10 cities listed are in blue states.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/america-safest-cities-152041816.html

The number of violent crimes across the United States is estimated to have dropped by 4.4% in 2013 from the year before, according to data recently released by the FBI. In all, the number of such crimes declined by nearly 15% in the last 10 years

Tom
11-13-2014, 09:36 AM
We will somehow lure you out of those cities.....

Robert Goren
11-13-2014, 10:15 AM
They are small.

DeltaLover
11-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Not exactly cities!

Clocker
11-13-2014, 10:56 AM

Which is totally irrelevant to the issue.

According to the Urban Institute's Roman, reducing crime “is about economic policy, it’s not about crime policy.” He added, “The idea is that if you make a city more economically vibrant, you attract people to that city who bring with them resources to try and make that city better. And those resources benefit all of the people who are already there.”

The especially high household incomes in area with low crime rates, and the generally low incomes in areas with higher crime rates, appear to support Roman’s statement. In fact, Frisco and Naperville had the highest median incomes among large U.S. cities. In all, eight of the nation’s safest cities had median household incomes of more than $70,000 last year. By comparison, the median household income across the U.S. was $52,250 in 2013.

They all appear to be middle to upper-middle class communities away from the inner city and from poverty. In other words, they are where the greedy capitalists live. So obviously the solution to crime is to give everyone a minimum wage of $70K.

horses4courses
11-13-2014, 11:02 AM
So obviously the solution to crime is to give everyone a minimum wage of $70K.

Tongue in cheek, of course, but you actually make a pertinent point.

A bigger contribution from the mega rich, and an across the board
rise in the minimum wage, would be a step in the right direction.

Tom
11-13-2014, 11:08 AM
As would a larger contribution from the anchors.

btw, where does Ferguson fall? You remember Ferguson?
The city where evil Whitie is holding down the brothers and doing horrible stuff to them? Even though all Blacks have to do is go and VOTE out the Massa's and solve their problems. How much more money do they need in Ferguson to get off their butts and TAKE CONTROL of their lives? r is whining and crying considered action on the left? :lol:

You can't fix everything with money.
Especially someone else's money.

You get what yo work for. OR steal.

AndyC
11-13-2014, 11:18 AM
For all you fear mongers out there, violent crime continues to trend lower.
Seems like many posters on here are afraid to unlock their front doors.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/america-safest-cities-152041816.html

Yes but even in blue states there are red cities. Which way do you think the political winds blow in Temecula and Murrietta where they banned together to stop the buses loaded with illegal immigrants that the Obama administration wanted to dump on them? Irvine isn't exactly a liberal hangout either.

horses4courses
11-13-2014, 11:41 AM
You can analyze and break down all those areas as much as you want,
and spin it accordingly - a 4% reduction in violent crime is significant.

Will Fox News, or even CNN, be reporting on this?

Tom
11-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Based on the election results, crime should go down 50% next year.

horses4courses
11-13-2014, 12:00 PM
There are those who would have us believe that there is
panic in the streets, and the country is in a state of emergency.

Not so fast, comrade.....

AndyC
11-13-2014, 12:01 PM
You can analyze and break down all those areas as much as you want,
and spin it accordingly - a 4% reduction in violent crime is significant.

Will Fox News, or even CNN, be reporting on this?

Are you suggesting that a decline in violent crimes across the US is somehow related to politics? There would be no reason for Fox or CNN not to report it if they thought it was newsworthy.

To me it would be newsworthy if someone broke the info down demographically. What was the age, racial, religious, family, makeup of each city? Were strict gun laws in effect?

Marshall Bennett
11-13-2014, 12:06 PM
No place is safe anymore. :cool:

alydar
11-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Just another worthless list you see everyday on the web.

reckless
11-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Just another worthless list you see everyday on the web.

What would you expect from those that ridicule Fox News but refer to a worthless list from a worthless web site called Yahoo News? :lol: :lol:

GameTheory
11-13-2014, 02:15 PM
The decline in crime rates is reported all the time (as new rates come out for the previous year, etc) by all the news outlets...they report them if they go up or down or stay the same. The overall crime rate is currently the lowest in my lifetime (actually it about matches the year I was born: 1970). It was significantly lower than that if you go back farther to the early & mid 60's, we are unlikely to get back to those levels ever.

Apparently leaded gasoline was a big determinant (not kidding)...if you can handle a Mother Jones article, here it is:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline

JustRalph
11-13-2014, 03:45 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/09/murder-drops-as-concealed-carry-permits-rise-claims-study/

Murder is down

BlueShoe
11-13-2014, 04:12 PM
They are small.
No They are not. Of the four cities in SoCal, I am very familiar with one, Glendale, somewhat with another, Irvine, and slightly familiar with Murietta and Temecula.

I lived in Glendale for most of my adult life, 34 years, before moving to OC. It has a large Armenian and Latino population, and is not as affluent as it once was, there are still working and lower middle class neighborhoods.

Irvine is the most "Yuppiefied", most residents are well to do moneywise. There is a large number of Asian citizens that send their children to UC Irvine.

Robert Goren
11-13-2014, 08:23 PM
No They are not. Of the four cities in SoCal, I am very familiar with one, Glendale, somewhat with another, Irvine, and slightly familiar with Murietta and Temecula.

I lived in Glendale for most of my adult life, 34 years, before moving to OC. It has a large Armenian and Latino population, and is not as affluent as it once was, there are still working and lower middle class neighborhoods.

Irvine is the most "Yuppiefied", most residents are well to do moneywise. There is a large number of Asian citizens that send their children to UC Irvine.The largest city on the list has 238,000 people. You should not compare them to large metro areas. Lincoln(pop 270k) is 40 miles of farm land from the Omaha area(pop 900k), but might just as well be a 1,000 miles apart when it comes to crime. All a citizen of Lincoln needs to do is listen to the 10 o'clock news on an Omaha tv station to feel safe in Lincoln.

AndyC
11-13-2014, 11:23 PM
The largest city on the list has 238,000 people. You should not compare them to large metro areas. Lincoln(pop 270k) is 40 miles of farm land from the Omaha area(pop 900k), but might just as well be a 1,000 miles apart when it comes to crime. All a citizen of Lincoln needs to do is listen to the 10 o'clock news on an Omaha tv station to feel safe in Lincoln.

Have you ever been to Glendale! It's all part of one big large metropolitan area known as Los Angeles. If a crime is committed in Glendale it's very probable that the perp lived in an adjacent city.

BlueShoe
11-14-2014, 12:51 AM
Have you ever been to Glendale! It's all part of one big large metropolitan area known as Los Angeles. If a crime is committed in Glendale it's very probable that the perp lived in an adjacent city.
The same can be said for Irvine, it is part of the enormous megatropolis of Los Angeles-Orange County-Riverside, etc. metro area.

GameTheory
11-14-2014, 09:57 AM
The same can be said for Irvine, it is part of the enormous megatropolis of Los Angeles-Orange County-Riverside, etc. metro area.

It is true of parts of Glendale (other parts are up in the hills and isolated), but not really Irvine. I mean yes Irvine is part of the whole metro area, but it is sort of the end of the road there, not really connected in a dense urban way like Glendale is. (People don't go through Irvine to get to somewhere else, it is surrounded by non-urban stuff or coastline, look at it on the map.) I'm surprised that many people even live in Irvine -- the place is basically an office park.

(I was once a courier in SoCal -- I know every nook and cranny of LA and Orange county.)

Marshall Bennett
11-14-2014, 12:03 PM
The largest city on the list has 238,000 people. You should not compare them to large metro areas.
Tell that to what few good people are left in Flint, Michigan. :)

BlueShoe
11-14-2014, 09:03 PM
It is true of parts of Glendale (other parts are up in the hills and isolated), but not really Irvine. I mean yes Irvine is part of the whole metro area, but it is sort of the end of the road there, not really connected in a dense urban way like Glendale is. (People don't go through Irvine to get to somewhere else, it is surrounded by non-urban stuff or coastline, look at it on the map.) I'm surprised that many people even live in Irvine -- the place is basically an office park.

(I was once a courier in SoCal -- I know every nook and cranny of LA and Orange county.)
Not really Irvine? :confused: There are five freeways that run through Irvine, an airport, and a major university, but Irvine is the end of the road? That would be a surprise to the quarter of a million humans that call it home.