PDA

View Full Version : Landing on moving comet

pandy
11-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Is it just me or is this story not getting enough attention? They landed a washing-machine sized spacecraft on a comet traveling 83,000 mph almost 3.7 billion miles away. Seems so unlikely, it's amazing. And most cars still get less than 25 mpg in local driving.

Robert Goren
11-13-2014, 08:11 AM
We have become bored with "rocket science". We much more concerned about what the First Lady is or isn't doing. Maybe it is just as well. It keeps the bean counters away.

rastajenk
11-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Are comets big enough to have their own gravity, or did the trusty Maytag have to attach itself somehow?

tucker6
11-13-2014, 08:29 AM
You're right and all, but is it really a big deal? Bigger than the Pioneer probes having left the solar system? Bigger than Viking? Bigger than the vehicles on Mars? Bigger than man in space? This is nice and all, but it's a probe that landed on a comet for research purposes. Where's the sex appeal? Where's the connection to our everyday lives? Not so much.

pandy
11-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Are comets big enough to have their own gravity, or did the trusty Maytag have to attach itself somehow?

It has legs that are powered and thrust out into the surface to attach. At first they didn't grab because it landed on a bolder, but it went up and came back down and attached. All while moving at 83,000 mph.

pandy
11-13-2014, 08:39 AM
You're right and all, but is it really a big deal? Bigger than the Pioneer probes having left the solar system? Bigger than Viking? Bigger than the vehicles on Mars? Bigger than man in space? This is nice and all, but it's a probe that landed on a comet for research purposes. Where's the sex appeal? Where's the connection to our everyday lives? Not so much.

They claim it can help us understand how we got here. And, if one of these comets is going to crash into the earth some day, this technology could come in handy. I found this more amazing than most of these space explorations. I still don't understand how it tracked this thing for 10 years (where does the fuel come from?) and how it could find it and land on it while moving at 83,000 mph so far away. The whole thing sounds impossible.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-13-2014, 09:05 AM
It is amazing, I had no idea that this was even being attempted until I read that it had just been done.

Robert Goren
11-13-2014, 09:05 AM
You're right and all, but is it really a big deal? Bigger than the Pioneer probes having left the solar system? Bigger than Viking? Bigger than the vehicles on Mars? Bigger than man in space? This is nice and all, but it's a probe that landed on a comet for research purposes. Where's the sex appeal? Where's the connection to our everyday lives? Not so much.See what I mean about keeping the bean counters away! :D

DJofSD
11-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Yes, and this one has enough mass to have a sufficiently strong enough field which is how the landing craft actually landed. The mother ship let it go with just the right amount of nudge and in the right direction then the rest of it was the comet pulling it down to the two bounce landing.

DJofSD
11-13-2014, 09:16 AM
This is huge but just because it's not a manned mission or has some kind of sex appeal that makes it attractive the the unwashed masses does not lessen the importance. How many people thought Christopher Columbus had a good idea?

This is a first, albeit tiny but important step to solving lots of problems. Any Ringworld Engineers out there?

horses4courses
11-13-2014, 09:18 AM
I believe that the project was initiated in Europe, which may account
for some of the lag in breaking this story. I did notice that it was the
lead story on last night's NBC Evening News, though.
So, it has sparked interest.

Amazing feat. The craft took off 10 years ago.
The odds of pulling this off had to be pretty high.

DJofSD
11-13-2014, 09:23 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30034060

That first bounce was a doozy.

OTM Al
11-13-2014, 09:24 AM
They claim it can help us understand how we got here. And, if one of these comets is going to crash into the earth some day, this technology could come in handy. I found this more amazing than most of these space explorations. I still don't understand how it tracked this thing for 10 years (where does the fuel come from?) and how it could find it and land on it while moving at 83,000 mph so far away. The whole thing sounds impossible.

Don't need a lot of fuel. No resistance. Point it in one direction and it doesn't loose momentum. Fuel only needed for course adjustment and landing. The rest is all mathematics.

Tom
11-13-2014, 09:27 AM
When I saw the commercials on TV about it, I thought it was a movie coming out for the holidays. :blush:

DJofSD
11-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Cue Johnny: it's so big ... just kidding.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30037352

JustRalph
11-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Don't need a lot of fuel. No resistance. Point it in one direction and it doesn't loose momentum. Fuel only needed for course adjustment and landing. The rest is all mathematics.

It's amazing the physics behind space travel. :ThmbUp: Most don't understand it. I have found it amazing since the mid 60's when they actually taught us about it in grade school. We also were herded into the gymnasium to watch Apollo launches and splash down events. It was a huge deal.

Looks like this latest comet craft is ultimately a failure

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/world/comet-landing/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

pandy
11-17-2014, 06:37 AM

That's amazing.

DJofSD
11-17-2014, 10:22 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30083969

LottaKash
11-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Is it just me or is this story not getting enough attention? They landed a washing-machine sized spacecraft on a comet traveling 83,000 mph almost 3.7 billion miles away. Seems so unlikely, it's amazing. And most cars still get less than 25 mpg in local driving.

Quite a Remarkable Achievement imo...

I watched a special about it on TV late last nite on the Science channel....The group responsible for the mission were giddy all over the place..

Marshall Bennett
11-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Seen lots and lots of $$$ wasted in several ventures of late. I'm an old astronomy buff from my childhood years, still own my first telescope and a newer more expensive model with a 9 inch mirror.
My views have shifted a lot however from spending money in space vs. here on earth. That is if the money is properly appropriated of course.
I'm not so sure anymore that whatever technology we gather from space will be processed and used in time to make any difference here on Earth at the rate we're going.

JustRalph
11-17-2014, 02:55 PM
I don't know what they are celebrating. At least not now. It's dead. Ten years down the drain after a few days of pictures

FantasticDan
11-17-2014, 03:10 PM
I don't know what they are celebrating. At least not now. It's dead. Ten years down the drain after a few days of picturesIf you read the article that DJofSD posted, it mentions that, "The probe managed to complete over 80% of its planned primary science campaign on the surface", before falling silent. And there's a chance it might reactivate later as it nears the sun.

Just because things haven't gone perfectly doesn't mean it's a failure.

tucker6
11-17-2014, 03:17 PM
If you read the article that DJofSD posted, it mentions that, "The probe managed to complete over 80% of its planned primary science campaign on the surface", before falling silent. And there's a chance it might reactivate later as it nears the sun.

Just because things haven't gone perfectly doesn't mean it's a failure.
They are massaging the truth in saying that. The reality is that the meaty experiments that prove out the mission's value did NOT get completed.

DJofSD
11-20-2014, 10:33 AM
http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/11/20/the-sound-of-touchdown/

DJofSD
12-01-2014, 08:00 AM
http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2014/12/Comet_ISON_disintegrates

Comet ISON appeared to survive the close approach, emerging on the other side of the Sun. Some still hoped for a bright display in the night skies. But they were to be disappointed. Quickly, the comet began to disappear. A recent analysis of SOHO data showed that the nucleus had indeed disintegrated just before closest approach to the Sun. Nothing appreciable was left of it, just a lot of dust and vapour.

Oh well.

FantasticDan
12-05-2014, 11:29 AM
This morning heralded The Dawn of Orion...

UEuOpxOrA_0

DJofSD
12-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Orion is a waste of money. And just to be clear, I am in favor of manned space exploration.

HUSKER55
12-05-2014, 11:32 AM
you guys are a tough crowd. they hit that thing after a 10 year flight. If nothing else their planning and landing skills leave no doubt.

Marshall Bennett
12-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Fix things on Earth and return to space later. The money being spent/wasted should be used to try and right the ship here. The world is a major mess !!

DJofSD
12-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Fix things on Earth and return to space later. The money being spent/wasted should be used to try and right the ship here. The world is a major mess !!
BOC.

FantasticDan
12-05-2014, 12:19 PM
BOC.What does Blue Oyster Cult have to do with this? :p

Tom
12-05-2014, 12:44 PM
ClQcUyhoxTg

DJofSD
12-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Balderdash.

classhandicapper
12-05-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm not so sure anymore that whatever technology we gather from space will be processed and used in time to make any difference here on Earth at the rate we're going.

Especially when we can reverse engineer crashed UFOs at Area 51 for a lot less. ;)

DJofSD
12-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Especially when we can reverse engineer crashed UFOs at Area 51 for a lot less. ;)
According to some, that's already been done.

Tom
12-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Southwest Airlines.

JustRalph
12-05-2014, 04:27 PM
how much did the orion show cost? I am for space travel, privately. Where it is done cheaper. This was money down the toilet

What the hell are we expecting to discover on Mars anyway?

Oh Boy!!! It's a dead planet........

HUSKER55
12-05-2014, 06:51 PM
wouldn't it be the berries to find out the red planet is a dome and there is a civilization that doesn't want any part of us? :D :D

Marshall Bennett
12-06-2014, 05:32 AM
BOC.
What's that?

HUSKER55
12-06-2014, 07:37 AM
bone of contention :confused:

DJofSD
12-06-2014, 08:18 AM
bunch of crap

Tom
12-06-2014, 09:51 AM
If there really is life on other planets, I have to assume they would shoot us out the cosmos if approached them. They must know what we are.

DJofSD
12-06-2014, 10:01 AM
If there really is life on other planets, I have to assume they would shoot us out the cosmos if approached them. They must know what we are.
Yes, they know what we are. Proof -- you are a disease! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_9g2r0SdEZc)

Marshall Bennett
12-06-2014, 03:27 PM
BOC.
What's crap about it? Show me any examples since the shuttles were retired where the cost has been rewarded.
Scientist will argue that space exploration is needed to find cures for diseases. My argument is that these compounds and elements may exist, but their discovery is like finding a needle in a haystack. Colonization would be my only reason to continue space exploration. Since nothing within our solar system beyond Earth is suitable for sustaining life, the only logical option would be to explore another planetary system. Since we don't have the capability to travel light years in distance, and most likely never will, the expense far outweighs any benefits imo.

HUSKER55
12-06-2014, 05:04 PM
think kitty hawk compared to the F16

DJofSD
12-06-2014, 06:46 PM
A man's reach should exceed his grasp.

With belly button contemplation, you get nothing.

FantasticDan
12-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Sleepy Pluto probe wakes up :sleeping: :eek: :ThmbUp:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/its-alive-nasas-new-horizons-pluto-probe-wakes-work-n262996

Tom
12-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Space exploration is one of the few good things we do.