PDA

View Full Version : Breeders Cup "Series"

burnsy
11-12-2014, 07:26 AM
After the results of this years Classic and taking racing realistically. The Breeders Cup should consider developing a series of races at 3 different tracks over a 8 to 10 week period.

1. The home track horses have a distinct advantage. Having it at the same track is not a fair barometer of who is best. Back in the "day" horses often met on neutral grounds.

2. Incidents like that of the classic and bad trips can be interpreted differently over the series of races.

3. Making a one day, one race determination on horse championships is a fallacy and pretty much a joke in reality. That's why there is so much controversy, anger and disappointment many times after the season is over. I actually think some of the Breeders Cup nonsense has hurt racing. People bet it but after they just throw up their hands and say it proved nothing. I'm not the only one saying this either.

Of course there's a glaring problem with this idea. How many of these horses could take 3 hard races at the end of the year? This is an idea, I don't know if it would work. But year in and year out, its becoming apparent, something has to give because this system lacks credibility. Yeah, its a great thing to bet, obviously, but the outcome is a shaky determination of who is really best. Make it better or get rid of it.