PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Updates

whodoyoulike
11-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Today is the first Tuesday of November, I've just received an update when I shut down my XP machine. I do recall this occurring in the recent prior months. I thought MS stopped issuing updates for the XP as of April 2014. But, I do remember an emergency update notice which went out after April.

Has anyone else noticed these updates or does anyone know why they're still occurring? Is there a way to find out what was updated?

Thanks.

GameTheory
11-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Today is the first Tuesday of November, I've just received an update when I shut down my XP machine. I do recall this occurring in the recent prior months. I thought MS stopped issuing updates for the XP as of April 2014. But, I do remember an emergency update notice which went out after April.

Has anyone else noticed these updates or does anyone know why they're still occurring? Is there a way to find out what was updated?

They will still send the security updates and "malicious software removal" where they can...

DJofSD
11-11-2014, 09:30 PM
They will still send the security updates and "malicious software removal" where they can...
Right, as best as I can recall, that's the only thing I've seen hit my lone XP system. I'll pull it out of the bag (it's a laptop) in the next day or so to see if there are any updates, bring FF up to date then run another backup. If there are any MS Updates other than the malicious software kind, I'll be surprised. I believe today is MS Update Tuesday, so I expect to see the 16 updates I read about earlier today to come down the pike here shortly.

As far as checking what was actually installed, I believe the XP version of Update does have a history function. Start MS Update then look along the left side to see if you can find 'show history' or 'show updates.' The other possible way to check -- XP related specifics is growing dimmer and dimmer, so I could be wrong -- is to run the Control Panel app Software then Installed Updates which should produce a list.

DJofSD
11-11-2014, 09:38 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx

Note the asterisk for XP -- it will be dropped as a target platform for those removal tool updates next July.

whodoyoulike
11-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Thank you for your responses. I was unaware of this.

wilderness
11-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Mine came today as well.
Unfortunately the thing is a piece of crap, and had NEVER detected anything.

FWIW, I haven't fired up my XP 64 machine in more than five months. Last time I did updates were abundant each month.

DJofSD
11-12-2014, 11:23 AM
As expected, my XP system received only 1 update which was for the malicious software removal tool.