PDA

View Full Version : PIMILCO

Cratos
11-09-2014, 10:40 PM
I haven't been to Pimlico since 1996, but I see that the backstretch has been extended with a "*dog leg."

Therefore my question is how far is the extension? It seems to be only to 6-1/2F.

cj
11-09-2014, 11:00 PM
I haven't been to Pimlico since 1996, but I see that the backstretch has been extended with a "*dog leg."

Therefore my question is how far is the extension? It seems to be only to 6-1/2F.

I don't think that is correct. They didn't run any races longer than 6f, and frankly, I doubt there is any room for another half furlong. I could be wrong, but never heard anything about any extension.

PhantomOnTour
11-09-2014, 11:13 PM
I don't think that is correct. They didn't run any races longer than 6f, and frankly, I doubt there is any room for another half furlong. I could be wrong, but never heard anything about any extension.
That's what I'm thinking.
The 6f gate is backed up to the very end of the existing chute as it stands right now.

Cratos
11-09-2014, 11:52 PM
That's what I'm thinking.
The 6f gate is backed up to the very end of the existing chute as it stands right now.
If you look at the old DRF track layout of Pimlico you are correct; the 6F start is backed up to the end.

However if you look at the layout on Google Earth there is definitely an added " dog leg."

I will call Pimlico on Monday for clarification.

stormreveler
11-10-2014, 01:48 AM
The dogleg appears to be present right at the start of this video from the 2012 Preakness (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9zd4jppdnY).

It doesn't seem anything new is afoot, which I take to be your supposition.

outofthebox
11-10-2014, 06:52 AM
I believe what your seeing is where the tractors and other equipment enter and leave the track..

cj
11-10-2014, 06:53 AM
I believe what your seeing is where the tractors and other equipment enter and leave the track..

Yeah, there is nothing new.

Cratos
11-10-2014, 10:38 AM
I believe you might be right and Pimlico is closed for racing therefore I cannot confirm it.

However I will layout the track as shown on Google Earth and I can edit it later.

Rise Over Run
11-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Based on a review of some aerials available on-line (http://www.historicaerials.com/) the track configuration has been the same since at least 1957; with the "chute" present paralleling Belvedere Ave. There is a track record for 7 furlongs on the Pimlico website: "7 F 1:26 Zeus 3 109 May 3, 1921" so perhaps they did use that chute in the past.

outofthebox
11-10-2014, 01:21 PM
I believe what your seeing is where the tractors and other equipment enter and leave the track..Called my friend and he said that "dog leg" has been there for years and is used for the tractors to turn around. The tractors and water trucks enter near the head of the stretch where there is a storage yard.

wiffleball whizz
11-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Wouldn't wanna be hanging out by the 7 furlong chute and or the 6f chute

On a side note they put in new turf at pimlico after the meet and I went there to put in a breeders cup play and the turf looked awesome!!!!!

Too bad they don't race in the fall there

Cratos
11-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Called my friend and he said that "dog leg" has been there for years and is used for the tractors to turn around. The tractors and water trucks enter near the head of the stretch where there is a storage yard.
Thanks for the update and I will identify it as such on my layout

cj
11-10-2014, 04:18 PM
I believe you might be right and Pimlico is closed for racing therefore I cannot confirm it.

However I will layout the track as shown on Google Earth and I can edit it later.

Yes, I'm right, as I told you in the first response in the thread.

Cratos
11-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Yes, I'm right, as I told you in the first response in the thread.
I am confused? When did I state or infer that you were wrong; I had two pictures in front of me (which I stated), one from DRF and another from Google Earth that didn't match exactly and I wanted to understand why.

You gave a truncated response without an explanation which didn’t sufficiently answer the question to me and I continued to pursue an answer with an explanation and posters “Rise Over Run” and “outofthebox” responded with the answer that I sought.

Again, I don’t see how this cast your answer in a negative light.

cj
11-10-2014, 06:34 PM
I am confused? When did I state or infer that you were wrong; I had two pictures in front of me (which I stated), one from DRF and another from Google Earth that didn't match exactly and I wanted to understand why.

You gave a truncated response without an explanation which didn’t sufficiently answer the question to me and I continued to pursue an answer with an explanation and posters “Rise Over Run” and “outofthebox” responded with the answer that I sought.

Again, I don’t see how this cast your answer in a negative light.

I just found it amusing, that is all. I grew up in Baltimore and have been to Pimlico many times. I knew there was zero chance there was any chute, dogleg or straight, recently built because I know the layout well. I should have been clearer and more positive that there was nothing new.

Cratos
11-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Pimilco Track Layout

Dark Horse
11-18-2014, 05:17 PM
According to my friend and mentor, a former thoroughbred trainer with many years at Pimlico:

"The elbow chute at the 3/4 pole is there because the track needs a place for the gate to be working in the morning for practice. There is no other place that it would be safe to have it so the chute was built with that in mind."

Cratos
11-18-2014, 05:37 PM
According to my friend and mentor, a former thoroughbred trainer with many years at Pimlico:

"The elbow chute at the 3/4 pole is there because the track needs a place for the gate to be working in the morning for practice. There is no other place that it would be safe to have it so the chute was built with that in mind."
I am not disputing your post and.your friend could be correct, but please read post #10 within this thread because that poster gave equally good reasons for the "dog leg" to be there.

wiffleball whizz
11-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Pretty exited for pimlico to open back up.....laurel not a great time in my opinion

Has pimlico ever raced in the fall?

Rise Over Run
11-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Pretty exited for pimlico to open back up.....laurel not a great time in my opinion

Has pimlico ever raced in the fall?
Yes. As recently as the early 90's I can remember them going back to Pimlico for a meet after the Timonium Fair. Then it was on to Laurel for the Maryland Million in early October and the remainder of the winter.

Dark Horse
11-18-2014, 08:58 PM
I am not disputing your post and.your friend could be correct, but please read post #10 within this thread because that poster gave equally good reasons for the "dog leg" to be there.

Will be glad to let him answer that. He's been trying to sign up, but there seems to be a long delay on the administrative side. I believe he was actually there when it was built, as a trainer.

Cratos
11-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Will be glad to let him answer that. He's been trying to sign up, but there seems to be a long delay on the administrative side. I believe he was actually there when it was built, as a trainer.
It should be noted that the "dog leg" extension has absolutely nothing to do with the running of the races on either the main track or the turf course.

I added it because it showed up on Google Earth. However it is not shown in DRF's American Racing Manual track layout of Pimlico Race Course.

Ruffian1
11-19-2014, 05:30 PM
It should be noted that the "dog leg" extension has absolutely nothing to do with the running of the races on either the main track or the turf course.

I added it because it showed up on Google Earth. However it is not shown in DRF's American Racing Manual track layout of Pimlico Race Course.

This is correct. The dog leg has nothing to do with racing. It is there to allow a place for the gate to sit so horses can get in their gate work in the morning. That is it's only purpose.

It has been there for a long, long time.

I saw where someone spoke to tractors turning around. While I supose they could turn around there, it would make no sense to do so. The tractors, water truck and grader are stationed and have been for decades, just past the end of the old grandstand at the 1/8th pole area or near the top of the stretch. There would be no reason to turn a tractor around there to go back to it's station. If they turned around, they would be 5/8ths of a mile from home but if they continued around clockwise they would only be 3/8th of a mile from home. Also, they need to harrow the entire track so they typically do not turn around there. I do not recall them ever turning around there.

Hope that helps.

Cratos
11-19-2014, 09:25 PM
This is correct. The dog leg has nothing to do with racing. It is there to allow a place for the gate to sit so horses can get in their gate work in the morning. That is it's only purpose.

It has been there for a long, long time.

I saw where someone spoke to tractors turning around. While I supose they could turn around there, it would make no sense to do so. The tractors, water truck and grader are stationed and have been for decades, just past the end of the old grandstand at the 1/8th pole area or near the top of the stretch. There would be no reason to turn a tractor around there to go back to it's station. If they turned around, they would be 5/8ths of a mile from home but if they continued around clockwise they would only be 3/8th of a mile from home. Also, they need to harrow the entire track so they typically do not turn around there. I do not recall them ever turning around there.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the explanation; I enjoy track layouts because each tell a different story.

Ruffian1
11-20-2014, 07:32 AM
Anytime.
And, I thought some more about someone seeing the harrows turning around in that dog leg. Maybe they were harrowing the dog leg and it just looked like they were turning around. That area needs to be harrowed as well especially if the gate was open for business that morning. Maybe that is what the person saw.

gheuks
11-20-2014, 10:50 AM
Pimlico ran in the month of September til about 10 years ago. In the early 2000's the ran into January due to cracking glass panels in laurels grandstand area

wiffleball whizz
11-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Great thread guys!!!!

Maybe with Maryland racing turning the corner maybe there will be a pimlico fall meet in the coming years....

How it is Maryland is actually racing in august this year no long summer break

cj
11-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Great thread guys!!!!

Maybe with Maryland racing turning the corner maybe there will be a pimlico fall meet in the coming years....

The Colonial deal screwed things up for a while in my opinion.

Ruffian1
11-20-2014, 12:27 PM
The Colonial deal screwed things up for a while in my opinion.

I agree. If anything that is an understatement.

What a brutal trip for the horse and the workers at the toughest time of the year to ship.

ronsmac
11-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Great thread guys!!!!

I wish Pimlico could show more of the field when watching the races on tv. It's probably impossible, with the grandstand being located so close to the track.