PDA

View Full Version : Question re pick 3 payouts

trying2win
05-05-2004, 04:32 PM
How come when there is a dead heat in race involving a pick 3, that the pick 3 payoff is the same for the two winning combinations?

For example, if there was a dead heat in the third leg of a pick 3, and the winning horses were a 7-5 favorite and the other horse was 25-1 on the board, you would think that there would be a lot less winning tickets involving the 25-1 horse, yet the pick 3 payoff is the same! I don't get it.

In this same hypothetical race listed above, there would be two different win, exactor, and trifector payoffs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there would also be two different daily double payoffs, if that type of bet was offered in the second and third leg of this three race series).

Thanks,

T2W

Zman179
05-05-2004, 09:44 PM
That's because, depending on the jurisdiction where the races are taking place, the pick 3 payoffs are calculated differently.

In some states (as well as in all provinces in Canada), whenever there is a scratch the post-time favorite is substituted. Also, when there is a dead heat, all winning tickets are pooled into one general payout.

However, other states have different rules like in New York (flats only), New Jersey, Florida and now Kentucky. In these states, the pick 3 pool is treated EXACTLY like a daily double in regards to scratches (refunds & consolations) and dead-heats (separate payoffs).

trying2win
05-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Zman,

Thanks very much for the info.

T2W