PDA

View Full Version : Hawthorne Racetrack: Get rid of the cats

FantasticDan
11-05-2014, 06:22 PM
http://www.chicagonow.com/raining-cats-dogs/2014/11/save-the-hawthorne-racetrack-cats/

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/report-hawthorne-on-the-wrong-paw-with-cat-caretakers/

Boo Hawthorne. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

tucker6
11-05-2014, 06:30 PM
The owner of the track needs to see the Wizard about getting a heart. Thank God Hawthorne only has this as its major problem. And yet I bet he'll look the other way at drug infractions though. :rolleyes:

nijinski
11-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Read this on FB , folks are calling to complain . He will save on mice and rat poison if they stay and some of the horses like them too !

Steve 'StatMan'
11-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Here is an important press release from Hawthrone regarding this. Not only has she continued to have access, but later word from Hawthorne came that she has also continued to break now I understand TWO things that Hawthonre wants regarding what she is doing. Apprently she is overfeeding ALL the cats on the backstretch, including the ones that are owned and regulary cared for and belong to a number of the barns, adding her own food to the bowls that already contain the food from their owners/caretakers, further contributing the the wild animal problem, and is upsetting a number of the horse owners and trainers. Not just feeding the feral cats. Plus I read in this that she again brought her daughter with her onto the backstretch after she was told not to bring her after having done so in the past.

Yes, this lady is doing nice things. Ane we all like nice ladies that do nice things. And yes, kitty cat ladies are often nice, to the point of sadness from the outside sometimes. And yes, there is a rat problem on the Hawthorne backstretch, esp. given that the Waste Management Transfer Station was added at least a decade or more ago on the adjoining property to the backstretch. But I am detecting that sad mix between helpful, kind person and pathetic cat lady that only wants to do what she wants and won't listen to the property owners. I hope I'm wrong about this impression, and they can work this out. However, I do not believe that Hawthorne in any way is being a 'bad guy' in this, and since Hawthorne has let Ms. Gobernetz help the backstretch cats for many years, and the problems are now the results of her new and recent behaviors, I think her work depends on her acting more in line with her responsible ways of the past.

Please read the link to the check the Press Notes on the Hawthorne Website from Nov 3rd and Nov 5th regarding the feral cat situation.

http://www.hawthorneracecourse.com/hawthorne_news/

I have to scram right now. If I can find the notes I read from Hawthorne regarding her also extra feeding the already cared for cats, I'll post a link to it too.

As a side story, perhaps as many as 10 years ago, our group with Scott McMannis at Arlington Park had an odd experience one weekday afternoon. We were in a room, at the time it had some tables and chairs added but hidden away from the main floor, now the Miller Lite Party Room. We were following the card and doing our handicapping, when we started hearing faint meowing sounds. Scott, myself and others tried to confirm what we were hearing, and called maintenance, they got a worker with a ladder, and they got a either a feral or barn cat out of the drop ceiling above. Appearently it had found a way to wander not only into the building, but into the insides of the infaststructure. IIRC we were told the cat was safely returned to the backstretch. Funny, odd incident. Glad we were able to help that cat that day.

TJDave
11-06-2014, 02:41 AM
Here is an important press release from Hawthrone regarding this. Not only has she continued to have access, but later word from Hawthorne came that she has also continued to break now I understand TWO things that Hawthonre wants regarding what she is doing. Apprently she is overfeeding ALL the cats on the backstretch, including the ones that are owned and regulary cared for and belong to a number of the barns, adding her own food to the bowls that already contain the food from their owners/caretakers, further contributing the the wild animal problem, and is upsetting a number of the horse owners and trainers. Not just feeding the feral cats. Plus I read in this that she again brought her daughter with her onto the backstretch after she was told not to bring her after having done so in the past.

Yes, this lady is doing nice things. Ane we all like nice ladies that do nice things. And yes, kitty cat ladies are often nice, to the point of sadness from the outside sometimes. And yes, there is a rat problem on the Hawthorne backstretch, esp. given that the Waste Management Transfer Station was added at least a decade or more ago on the adjoining property to the backstretch. But I am detecting that sad mix between helpful, kind person and pathetic cat lady that only wants to do what she wants and won't listen to the property owners. I hope I'm wrong about this impression, and they can work this out. However, I do not believe that Hawthorne in any way is being a 'bad guy' in this, and since Hawthorne has let Ms. Gobernetz help the backstretch cats for many years, and the problems are now the results of her new and recent behaviors, I think her work depends on her acting more in line with her responsible ways of the past.

Yeah, whatever. Whether she's right or wrong she needs to continue doing it and the track needs to continue to let he do it. Just because.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-06-2014, 06:09 AM
Yeah, whatever. Whether she's right or wrong she needs to continue doing it and the track needs to continue to let he do it. Just because.

Somebody does. I agree. But this is likely a voluntary thing, and they may need a new volunteer, as they are unlikely to pay for this when so many other duties either go to the same person.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-13-2014, 05:57 PM
an update from last week:

http://www.chicagonow.com/raining-cats-dogs/2014/11/update-hawthorne-race-course-feral-cats/