PDA

View Full Version : Powerline V5

Lefty
05-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Steve Wolson has had a good run on his sel using his prgm. Anybody here have this prgm, Powerline Ver 5? How do you like it? Finding that the db concept works well or do you have another preferred way to use it?

lefthandlow
05-05-2004, 01:49 PM
A guy here was going to buy it and I looked it up and its 450.00.
That's a lot for a program.I can't wait to hear how this one does.
This is the place to hawk software but does anyone make $ with
them.I see a lot of post that have 3 #'s across but that's it..
HOPE SOMEONE HERE ANSWERS LEFTY"S QUESTION>
Maybe the guy bought it that posted a week or so ago.
WHO is the creator of this power on line program.Maybe he is around here and can tell us about it..

I wish they had spell check here also.I can't type l.. LL

Jeff P
05-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Steve Wolson has been posting his software picks and results daily in the Selections forum. And they've been doing very well. So far,

Overall:

389 plays - 128 wins (33%)
$778 bet - $927.80 ret'd, profit +$149.80 (ROI +19%)

Gotta say it: Nice job Steve.

That said, a question for you Steve. Has posting successful selections over an extended period of time (not easy to do at all) helped to sell any copies of your program so far?

jackad
05-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Steve,
Did you get my PM?

Jack

wolsons
05-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Hey guys:

Lefthandlow: I am the creator of the program (but not the programmer) - I could tell you a lot about it, but I've been led to believe that overt merchandising is severely frowned upon on this board. I have responded to private messages, and the link to my website has been posted. I just figured the best way to promote a product, in a positive way, is to test it openly on the board for an extended period. There's been so much back-and-forth on the board over the last year about having a software vendor contest, and it always goes nowhere - I figured just let it all hang out.

Jeff P: thanks for the compliment, and the answer to your question is YES, I have sold a few copies to board members since my online posting started.

Jackad: I did get your PM, and responded - if you didn't get it, let me know and I'll resend.

Steve

lefthandlow
05-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info.I'm glad that I know its your program and I'll
watch the results.
I can remember years ago when I had a program and I got picks that were not the same as the creator and he said you picked the wrong pace line,you should have used the 6th back and not the 3d.So if I used poweronline program would I get the same results as you?They are very good from what I see on the board?I notice you pick only one which is a plus and hard to do.
Keep up the good picking.. LL

Hosshead
05-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Lefthandlow, I was wondering the same thing.-- If the buyer of Steve's sw (assuming he updates the track profiles etc.) would get the same results as the inventer of the sw, who knows ALL the idiosyncrasies of the product. Also, in order to model each track, do you have to enter the class,dist. etc for each race, or does the sw do it for you.

wolsons
05-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Hey Guys,

Lefthandlow: "So if I used poweronline program would I get the same results as you?They are very good from what I see on the board?I notice you pick only one which is a plus and hard to do."

Pretty much YES - I've been limiting my posted picks on this board to basically Top consensus picks of the software - where I've 'strayed' to the 2nd Consensus pick has been where the Top pick hasn't been very strong and the Black Box and Dynamanual options point to the 2nd pick. Since I've decided to supply starter databases (which includes about 10,000 races from most major tracks since January of this year) to PA board members in order to get them off to a running start, they'll be looking at basically the same foundation 'base that I'm working with.

Hosshead: "Also, in order to model each track, do you have to enter the class,dist. etc for each race, or does the sw do it for you."

It's all done automatically - all you have to do is unzip the data and results files for the track in question, then select the 'Model' option (1 date) or the Bulk Model option (if there's more than 1 date), and the rest is done for you.

A note to those who already ordered the software, the starter database will be going out to you the beginnng of next week.

Steve

Hosshead
05-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Steve, Thanks for your response.

pasco
05-07-2004, 08:00 AM
I read where LL asked or talked about pace lines.Steve does the program pick the pacelines it uses.If it does what about turf and dirt and mud lines?Most programs do not do this well at all.
No offense but isn't a program only as good as the speed figs or pace figs that the software uses fom the data source.I've had a lot of software in my day and a lot of them pick the same horses as the best speed fig has recorded in the last race or ave of so many races or pace speed..
It all comes from the data provider.Does anyone feel this way or is this just me a software junkie looking to use a program to make a little free cash.
Steve I'm not picking on you its only because your program is hot and I for one would like to see how one gets these selections.I like your roi your getting and the fact you are using one pick per race.
Keep on posting Pasco

wolsons
05-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Hey Pasco,

I don't mind your questions at all, and I certainly don't think that you're picking on me! The software does pick the pacelines - remember, what this program is is a combination of 22 different methods that I have authored over the years; each of those methods, regardless of what type of race or surface they were designed for, has its own built in rules for paceline selection. These are all programmed into the software - so, for the software user, paceline selection is not an issue.

As far as the speed figure issue, for the purposes of my program, I feel that any decent set of figures will suffice - that's why I had no trouble switching over to the TSN Procaps files at the beginning of this year. While there may be occasional discrepancies between the ranking orders of Beyer #s, BRIS #'s, TSN #'s, and most other commercially available types, I feel that long term the results will even out - none of them are THAT damned reliable!

Steve

pasco
05-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Steve thanks for the info. keep up the good work

JimG
05-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Just thought I would revive this topic so anybody that owns this program may share how they are doing with it. Are you glad at this point you spent the $450 for the program? What do you like about it? What dislikes? How does it compare with other programs you've tried? etc., etc.

Jim

Speed Figure
05-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Jim,

The $450 is only until 6/1/04. It's $495 after that. I guess it's not a bad price when you know he get's no kick backs off the DATA.

JimG
05-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Speed Figure
Jim,

The $450 is only until 6/1/04. It's $495 after that. I guess it's not a bad price when you know he get's no kick backs off the DATA.

SF,

I have no issues with what he is charging. Just wondering how others that have bought it like it. I would not be asking if I wasn't considering it. If the average user can break even or cut their losses with it, then it may be worthwhile.

Jim

Maxspa
05-25-2004, 04:08 PM
Jim,
Still no answers from Powerline users! However, in my opinion, Steve couldn't have been more upfront with his software! We complained on this board when other developers really pushed their products and the advertising connected with it was really outrageous. His daily selections were there for everyone to see and despite the fact he played every race, a profit was shown. I can't believe there aren't people on this board who have the software and are using it on a daily basis. I would like to hear some responses from that group as well. I would have purchased the software but a couple of months back I invested in a real dud. We need to be careful in that we should be handicappers not collectors.
Maxspa

Bob Allen
05-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Hi fellas,

I wasn't the one who said he was going to get Power-onLine V5 but I bought it anyway.

What I would like to know is if anyone has the program installed on a machine running Win 2000? There are no installation instructions for W2k so unless you know what you are doing it won't install. Also seem to be having trouble with a couple of other features but we'll see how soon Tech Support gets back to me after my e-mail last night.

There are some nifty features to this software and it does build some very nice models, which is what I was looking for.

Will keep everyone apprised as to its efficacy - JimG won't let me forget that.

Happy trails,

Bob

JimG
05-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Bob Allen

Will keep everyone apprised as to its efficacy - JimG won't let me forget that.

Bob

You got that right Bob! I expect a full report:D

Jim

wolsons
05-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Bob,

Just so you know, I DID get your email and forwarded it to the programmer - you should hear from him tonight. I will follow-up with him later myself.

Steve

Bob Allen
05-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Hi Steve - Jim, and everyone,

Just a quick note.

Wanted to log in and let everyone know that Steve's programmer is quick, smart and solved my problem in two e-mails. I'm up and running full steam right now.

I may not get any sleep to try and get some of my 80,000 procaps files modeled by tomorrow morning but I'll give it one heckuva shot.

Just wanted to let folks know that Steve is not just after your money - he wants that, but he also makes sure you get good customer service. Service like you expect and hope for from a good software developer. Not naming any giant company in Bellingham!

Ok, everyone to the short line,

Bob

MitchS
05-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Cougar is dead. Long live MitchS.

Bob. Lets see. How many programs does that make now? Find a home.LOL

I am starting daily free picks soon at www.ultimateprecisiongaming.com

Mitch

JimG
05-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by MitchS
Cougar is dead. Long live MitchS.

Bob. Lets see. How many programs does that make now? Find a home.LOL

I am starting daily free picks soon at www.ultimateprecisiongaming.com

Mitch

Mitch,

I looked at your website. On the home page, third paragraph, I think you mean "precedent" where you write "president"

Jim

chickenhead
05-28-2004, 12:23 PM
also last paragraph there should be their.

MitchS
05-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Oppps. I thought I corrected all of my spelling mistakes.

Thanks Guys,
Mitch

Bob Allen
05-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Maxspa, Jim and other interested parties,

As you know, maybe, I have purchased PowerOnline V5. To date, and for the next few days I will not be playing but will be building all of the models as I load in my huge pile of Procaps data files.

That being said though, I thought you all might be interested in a little test I just ran to see if PowerOnline might live up to the expectations of a guy like me who has been looking for a good modeling program for a looong time.

I have no idea how many thousands of races I have loaded in so far but I decided to give the software a test against one of the tracks I consider just about the hardest to handicap - namely, Philadelphia.

This is a one day test and does not mean squat to the long term but with all the clamoring for information I wanted to get this to you now.

As Mel (the programmer) wrote in the other thread, instead of demanding 10 races, 40% wins and an ROI of >=EVEN for the Black Box as Steve does, he uses 20-50 races, 20% wins, and an ROI>= 20%. So I compromised on the Black Box confirmation and used 10-20 Races, 20% wins and an ROI of >=20% for a day at Philly Park. Yes, just one day for now. More later. Ok here's what PowerOnline gave with absolutely no handicapping by me other than adjusting the race parameters to get a Black Box confirmation.

10 Races Total
1 Race Passed not enough data (you know Philly)
9 Races Played
One Pick per Race
5 Wins on TOP
$18 Wagered
$38.20 Returned (low 6.20 - high 11.20)
55.5% Winning Frequency on 1 Pick per race
112.2% ROI
2,399 Races in PHA Database so far

I think these are acceptable results. ;)

Gather your tickets and head for the short line,

Bob

jackad
05-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Bob,
What do you mean by "adjusting the race parameters to get a Black Box confirmation?"

Thanks.

Bob Allen
05-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Jackad,

If you download the manual on Steve's web site you get a glimpse in the back of the manual when Steve handicaps a full day's card at AQU to get his picks.

Basically what he does is call up a race and run it against the database (here you can use the 5-2-1 weights or, as I did, use the weighting that uses both IV and Win %age for each race type - I forget the name), then note the top 2 horses on the Consensus and click Black Box.

Upon clicking Black Box you will be prompted to enter three things: 1) minimum # of races to be used for that type of race, 2)minimum Win %age of those races you will accept and 3) minimum ROI you will accept from the Black Box ratings.

This is where I entered 20% Win %age and 1.2 Minimum ROI. The sticker, at least for these races at Philly, was in the number of races in the database that fit Today's Race criteria exactly. I started off with 20, if that didn't produce two Black Box contenders then I moved down to 15 Races and if that didn't give two contenders I moved all the way down to 10 Races re-running it each time until two horses showed.

When two horses showed I compared them against the Consensus Picks and if either was one of the Top 2 horses and was not picked by the Black Box for ML, Consensus or The Exotic Machine then I used that horse. I didn't have any occasions where both of the top 2 Consensus horses were both Black Box contenders so I didn't have to make any calls there.

The reason I didn't have a pick for the first race is it was one of those weird Philly races they run so often. It was a 7 furlong sprint for 2 year olds. I just couldn't get an acceptable consensus or Black Box rating in that race so I passed it. All the rest of the races were easy.

In re-reading this it seems like I make this to be a long drawn out process. It's not. All together this took about 7 or 8 minutes for the whole card.

Hope this helps instead of confuses,

Bob

jackad
05-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Bob,
Your response definitely helps. Thanks.

Another issue: With so many races in a track's database, the database must go back years. Wouldn't changes in the track surface that might have been introduced over this period compromise the program's selections?

Maxspa
05-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Bob,
These types of user reports are super for the people that are in the process of making up their minds whether the software will fit into their handicapping scheme or make an improvement in their bottom line.
That's what's great about this board, experienced horseplayers telling it like is. As a result, we all gain knowledge and somtimes a different perspective on handicapping!
Thanks for your input and keep sharing your ideas.
Maxspa

Hosshead
05-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by jackad
Bob,
Your response definitely helps. Thanks.

Another issue: With so many races in a track's database, the database must go back years. Wouldn't changes in the track surface that might have been introduced over this period compromise the program's selections?

From what I understand the Procap db Bob is talking about probably goes back to Jan. of 2004. Not much change in the tracks since then.

Bob Allen
05-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Jackad, Maxspa and others,

Fellas you are both right.

The DB that Steve sends out will be (I haven't gotten it yet) for 2004.

The Procaps DB files I have go back three years. And yes, there is a strong possibility that would affect the way horses run the track. Since I haven't had time to check any other tracks yet, the DB is still being built as I write this, I really don't know if I will run into a significant change somewhere along the line. My "guess" is that I will. My "hope" is that I don't.

#5 in the 6th for $20 across,

Bob

Maxspa
06-01-2004, 10:36 AM
All,
Any Powerline User updates over the long weekend? Perhaps the number of tracks played, bets, and R.O.I.?
Maxspa

jackad
06-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Maxspa,
You're asking for the sharing of experience with powerline. Why don't you share your experience using TPR? It would be appreciated.

Maxspa
06-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Jackad,
TPR is a software program that gives information and you must make choices based on the data you deem important. However, I did not know that there was a question regarding its usage until Dick Schmidt responded. For that reason I have not commented on this program.
Maxspa

thelyingthief
06-11-2004, 03:19 AM
does anyone out there know if a program exists that will 1) do my thinking for me 2) pick all the trifectas over 2000 bucks 3) analyze all the pacelines and generate a suitable one if none exist 4) maintain the appropriate stats without my having to touch either mouse or keyboard 5) also, i'm really confused about betting, so i'd like it a lot if the program did that for me too.

and if it'll feed my dog when i'm away, that'd be a great thing, too!

p.s. i can only afford 22 dollars and change.

thanks!

cato
06-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Then I have the software for you--

After years or painstaking, hand-crafted research I am proud to announce the latest program to sweep the nation:

The All-Horse-Net-Power-H2-Thoro-Energetic-KGEN-V5

guranteed winners
specialinzing in exotic winners
guaranteed

The database (extra) does contain a dog-feeding module:cool:

Cato

Kappa
06-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Yeah, but how much are the datafiles? :D

thelyingthief
06-11-2004, 06:40 PM
i will trust any man named cato. where do i send my money, and how quickly can i get this marvelous example of modern technology?

upthecreek
07-14-2016, 09:12 AM
Is there anyway to add previous years files and results via the bulk modeling feature? Im trying to load Sar 2015 but it wont process the files
Thanks

fight
07-23-2016, 03:13 PM
cato is there a website ty

Pensacola Pete
07-23-2016, 04:52 PM
cato is there a website ty

It was probably a joke...

Also, all but the last three posts (including this one) are from 2004 or earlier.