PDA

View Full Version : Tapit to stand for 300k in 2015

PhantomOnTour
11-03-2014, 05:56 PM
According to Bloodhorse...wow! :faint:

I remember Storm Cat had a stud fee around that number.
What's the largest stud fee ever charged in North America?
It cannot be too far from what they will ask for Tapit next year.

ultracapper
11-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Stormy was up to half a mil for awhile

Robert Goren
11-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Will somebody actually pay that number?

affirmedny
11-03-2014, 06:11 PM

With this penchant for siring winners, Northern Dancer's stud fee reached $1 million, an amount four to five times his rivals and a record amount that, as of 2009, has not been equalled.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Dancer

Stillriledup
11-03-2014, 06:12 PM

If you have a grade 1 mare and you spend the 300k and the foal looks amazing, stands correct, has a great head and balance, expect that foal to bring many millions at a sale. Its a gamble, but if you own a blue hen, you don't want to screw around, you go for the best.

PhantomOnTour
11-03-2014, 06:13 PM
With this penchant for siring winners, Northern Dancer's stud fee reached $1 million, an amount four to five times his rivals and a record amount that, as of 2009, has not been equalled.[7]

One million?!
Stunning :faint:

RXB
11-03-2014, 06:13 PM

Northern Dancer: $1,000,000 (without guarantee of a live foal, IIRC)

I think Storm Cat hit $500,000 at one point. But those were in 21st century dollars, not 1980's dollars. Factor in 20-30 years of inflation, holy cow.

Cratos
11-03-2014, 10:52 PM

I realize you said "North America", but Frankel's stud fee is anticipated to be 1 million pounds or about 1.6 million dollars

ReplayRandall
11-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Northern Dancer: $1,000,000 (without guarantee of a live foal, IIRC)

I think Storm Cat hit $500,000 at one point. But those were in 21st century dollars, not 1980's dollars. Factor in 20-30 years of inflation, holy cow.

Originally Posted by Cratos
I realize you said "North America",
but Frankel's stud fee is anticipated to be 1 million pounds or about 1.6
million dollars

Interesting to note, Northern Dancer is Frankel's great-grandsire.

nijinski
11-03-2014, 11:54 PM

They paid that for many years for AP Indy .

nearco
11-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Northern Dancer was $1m with NO live foal guarantee. :eek: :eek:

Storm Cat was $500k for good few years.

Sadlers Well was listed as private, but was reported to be in the $400-500k range.
Likewise his son Galileo is also listed as private, but you'll pay somewhere between $300k to $500k to get at him

Frankel's stud fee is listed as £125k (that's $200k in American money). Not sure where people are getting the $1m from.

nearco
11-04-2014, 12:25 AM
Frankel's stud fee is listed as £125k (that's $200k in American money). Not sure where people are getting the $1m from.

Here is his stud page at Juddmonte, lists his fee as £125,000.... http://www.juddmonte.com/stallions/frankel/default.aspx

ultracapper
11-04-2014, 01:12 AM

Was that back in the '70s or so? That is incredible, even in today's dollars.

And they say this game is dying. It's just going to become more of an elitist's pleasure. Maybe they'll call it "The Sport of Kings" or something like that.

Cratos
11-04-2014, 03:06 AM
Northern Dancer was $1m with NO live foal guarantee. :eek: :eek:

Storm Cat was $500k for good few years.

Sadlers Well was listed as private, but was reported to be in the $400-500k range.
Likewise his son Galileo is also listed as private, but you'll pay somewhere between $300k to $500k to get at him

The salient word was "anticipated" and the number came from the Forbes website and the Telegraph website in the UK.

However I will accept your number as being correct because their number was an anticipation that is incorrect.

Grits
11-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Going back a bit from today as fees may rise. Still, though, not always the best indicator of greatness. Over generations, time tells us who the standouts are. For many years, Mr.Prospector has been one of the greats, and my favorite. I visited him at Claiborne, not long before his death; glad to meet and rub him because everywhere in past performances, there was the name: MR. PROSPECTOR. His list of champion progeny is tremendous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Prospector

http://www.livescience.com/6389-kentucky-derby-winner-biggest-stud.html

Native Dancer was a successful racer, winning Horse of the Year in 1954, but would go on to even greater renown as a stud. One of Native Dancer’s grandchildren, Northern Dancer, won the 1964 Kentucky Derby and went on to earn the highest stud fee in racing history, said Headley Bell, president of Nicoma Blood Stock and who has bred other Derby champions. And Native Dancer’s great-great grandson, Mine That Bird, won the 2009 Derby.

Another of Native Dancer’s grandchildren, Mr. Prospector, sits atop of one of the most successful bloodlines of all time, having 10 Derby champions and eventual winners of every Triple Crown Race among his sons and grandsons, Bell said.

“If I had to pick the line with the most winners, I guess it would probably be the Mr. Prospector line,” Bell said. The other important bloodline today began with 1977 Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew.