PDA

View Full Version : Rome: On air on Classic

Grits
11-03-2014, 03:11 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88537/rome-on-classic-garbage-result-ruined-race

Grits
11-03-2014, 03:23 PM
He didn't take the steward's telephone call...

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/breeders-cup/classic-rome-says-you-have-to-be-lucky-and-we-werent/

Rome said one of the stewards tried to call him after the race on Saturday night to explain the decision, but he chose not to take the call or call back because he felt he didn’t need an explanation.

Tom
11-03-2014, 03:27 PM
... a kick in the junk.
That pretty much makes a phone call unnecessary. :eek:

Bet the new owners are lining today to get in on this game.

Track Phantom
11-03-2014, 04:53 PM
He didn't take the steward's telephone call...

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/breeders-cup/classic-rome-says-you-have-to-be-lucky-and-we-werent/

I'm wondering if the stewards called all the owners or just Jim Rome. If just Jim Rome, why? I know Rome has the radio show and was the owner of the favorite (and was bumped by Bayern). Still seems odd unless they called the owner of Moreno, too (who was eliminated by the action at the start).

Grits
11-03-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm wondering if the stewards called all the owners or just Jim Rome. If just Jim Rome, why? I know Rome has the radio show and was the owner of the favorite (and was bumped by Bayern). Still seems odd unless they called the owner of Moreno, too (who was eliminated by the action at the start).

You answered your own question. ;)

Stillriledup
11-03-2014, 06:24 PM
In Rome's interview with Simon Bray that aired on TVG a few days ago, Rome said Baffert called him and insisted that he didn't instruct Victor to carry SB wide. The way Rome told this story, it seemed that it was pretty important to Baffert that Rome didnt' think he (Bob) was behind this mugging.

Redboard
11-03-2014, 07:45 PM
On his tv show tonight, he took the high road( thats racing, ive moved on, no hard feelings, etc.) , but he gave the challenge above to Bayern.

Stillriledup
11-03-2014, 07:52 PM
On his tv show tonight, he took the high road( thats racing, ive moved on, no hard feelings, etc.) , but he gave the challenge above to Bayern.

Lets have a match race. Mile and a Quarter on opening day at Santa Anita in December.

(for those of you who hate match races, you know you would watch)
its on!! :D

burnsy
11-03-2014, 08:34 PM

That's why the stewards are full of crap....with the "speculation" speech. I imagine the owners don't want to hear that either. What "speculation"? The main pace competition was taken out. These are the kind of people they hire to officiate racing. They don't even know when the complexion of the biggest race is ruined. Somehow it's not speculation to assume the race was not compromised by that start? Go figure..... :confused: The owners are too busy for this kind of moron explanation. Who can blame them?

Stillriledup
02-01-2016, 02:32 PM
7-S60g5_Q8A

Jim Rome talks about the game and his own highs and lows as an owner.

thespaah
02-02-2016, 12:31 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88537/rome-on-classic-garbage-result-ruined-race
I'm glad someone finally has a bully pulpit and is credible enough so that people are listening.
The point is that a guy like Rome who has a mic and an audience can point out the problems and use that media to perhaps "put the fear of God" into the Stews in CA.....
Or maybe the Stews will simply ignore Rome because unless the CHRB takes notice, nothing will happen to the Stewards....

v j stauffer
02-02-2016, 12:51 AM
I'm glad someone finally has a bully pulpit and is credible enough so that people are listening.
The point is that a guy like Rome who has a mic and an audience can point out the problems and use that media to perhaps "put the fear of God" into the Stews in CA.....
Or maybe the Stews will simply ignore Rome because unless the CHRB takes notice, nothing will happen to the Stewards....

I think the overhead shot from the blimp conclusively shows the stewards decision was correct.

It was also extremely consistent with decisions made on similar circumstances at the start of races in Southern California.

mountainman
02-05-2016, 01:46 PM
What makes Rome credible on racing? And why would he rate some special explanation from the stewards? Nobody likes being ripped, especially on national tv by a hip, acid-tongued celebrity, but major league judges had better develop thicker skins than that.

Stillriledup
02-05-2016, 03:37 PM
I think the overhead shot from the blimp conclusively shows the stewards decision was correct.

It was also extremely consistent with decisions made on similar circumstances at the start of races in Southern California.

The blimp view is interesting and seems different, but the word on the street was that SB was 'banged up' after the race, is there another part of the race where SB might have been banged up?

Doza
02-05-2016, 07:47 PM
The blimp view is interesting and seems different, but the word on the street was that SB was 'banged up' after the race, is there another part of the race where SB might have been banged up?

Just before passing the finish line for the first time Mike Smith was standing up strangling Shared Belief, and he may have clipped heals or was bumped again there. I believe that incident cost him the race more than the gate incident.

Stillriledup
02-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Just before passing the finish line for the first time Mike Smith was standing up strangling Shared Belief, and he may have clipped heals or was bumped again there. I believe that incident cost him the race more than the gate incident.

Certainly an interesting debate that will be talked about for a LONG time.

PaceAdvantage
02-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Certainly an interesting debate that will be talked about for a LONG time.Wasn't a very interesting debate to those who completely dismissed Bayern's win as nothing but a thug victory aided by blind stewards...even when that blimp view was shown to you very early on...you wanted no part of that. :lol:

castaway01
02-06-2016, 01:04 PM
What makes Rome credible on racing? And why would he rate some special explanation from the stewards? Nobody likes being ripped, especially on national tv by a hip, acid-tongued celebrity, but major league judges had better develop thicker skins than that.

I don't think it's that he's more credible than anyone else, but he has a voice that a lot of people hear and "skin in the game", while random complainers on a message board can be easily ignored.

Stillriledup
02-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Wasn't a very interesting debate to those who completely dismissed Bayern's win as nothing but a thug victory aided by blind stewards...even when that blimp view was shown to you very early on...you wanted no part of that. :lol:
Um, ok.

spiketoo
02-07-2016, 10:47 AM
I don't think it's that he's more credible than anyone else, but he has a voice that a lot of people hear and "skin in the game", while random complainers on a message board can be easily ignored.

Wow - watched this thread and bit my tongue but there's just so much wrong with this.

Skin in the game??? You mean he has disposable income and can purchase an interest in a few horses? Well, based on such the 'random complainers' here have skin in the game also with our churn and in fact, we are the primary providers for lining his pocket with purse monies.

He's a shrill shill. Always has been. Just because he has a voice that a lot of people hear doesn't mean they listen to him. He's always been a bully just looking to get ratings. Listened to him back in SD locally in the 90's and he hated racing with a fervor. Jocks weren't athletes in his world. Then went on-and-on calling Jim Everett 'Chris'. Really wish Everett would have laid him out in the studio when he did that.

So Biily K brought him into the fold. Good for him I guess. Another narcissist with a 'name' brings some 'attention' to this game but really, nothing else. Now with Shared Belief he got his 15 minutes on network TV which he could never get on his own (yeah I know a litany of cable shows which he's been dropped from all). He can purchase all the interests he so desires but again, brings nothing to the sport. If only he'd acknowledge us passengers in the back of the bus and shrill about our causes also...

Grits
02-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Spiketoo, there's great truth to what you've written. The moment "skin in the game" was typed the thought came....what about the bettors. I loved HIS HORSE--SHARED BELIEF. I was impressed by how Rome handled the Classic loss. That is as far as my impression went. I didn't dwell beyond. He's not above, he's not more credible, he's not better--than you, than me, than anyone. Too, I've never looked at him as a celebrity...I don't even look at real celebrities with awe. They simply have a different gift.

I listened to 20 minutes of Rome's 50 minute address. The most effective public speakers know when to stop. 30 minutes, max, would've sufficed.

Thank you for writing, I appreciated reading your post. :ThmbUp:

spiketoo
02-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Spiketoo, there's great truth to what you've written. The moment "skin in the game" was typed the thought came....what about the bettors. I loved HIS HORSE--SHARED BELIEF. I was impressed by how Rome handled the Classic loss. That is as far as my impression went. I didn't dwell beyond. He's not above, he's not more credible, he's not better--than you, than me, than anyone. Too, I've never looked at him as a celebrity...I don't even look at real celebrities with awe. They simply have a different grift.

I listened to 20 minutes of Rome's 50 minute address. The most effective public speakers know when to stop. 30 minutes, max, would've sufficed.

Thank you for writing, I appreciated reading your post. :ThmbUp:

Hehe - modified that a tad. :D

Grits
02-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Hehe - modified that a tad. :D

Very good, Spiketoo!!!