PDA

View Full Version : Question For Aqueduct players

Bennie
11-02-2014, 10:19 AM
I was just wondering if those who follow Aqueduct can give a little heads up to which direction the track is laid out as far as any effect todays gusty winds may play a role in the early or late running? Will they be running into a head wind or tailwind down the backstretch? I used to watch the first race or two and watch for the flags in the infield but haven't seen them lately with the camera angles they show.

Tom
11-02-2014, 11:09 AM
North/South view. Type in name of a track and select Goggle Maps - you can get any you want to look at. Or call Cratos. ;)

DeltaLover
11-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I was just wondering if those who follow Aqueduct can give a little heads up to which direction the track is laid out as far as any effect todays gusty winds may play a role in the early or late running? Will they be running into a head wind or tailwind down the backstretch? I used to watch the first race or two and watch for the flags in the infield but haven't seen them lately with the camera angles they show.

I would not bother about adding wind in the equation!

This of course does not mean that it is not a factor and does not affect the outcome of the race; surely wind has an impact to how the race will be run, but the same is true about many other conditions, like humidity, sand condition and quality, temperature, sunlight, start-up distances just to name a few...

A microscopic view of horse racing, will only confirm that it is a chaotic event, that has to be approached by consecutive levels of abstraction that will simplify the whole process, instead of making it more complex.

Bennie
11-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Being so close to Jamaica Bay tends to add to the gusty winds and I was looking at the possibility of front runners getting the worst of it and horses coming just off the pace would get the better trip.

Bennie
11-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Tom - Thanks for the photo. North to South the wind is at their back down the backstretch.

traynor
11-02-2014, 01:33 PM
I would not bother about adding wind in the equation!

This of course does not mean that it is not a factor and does not affect the outcome of the race; surely wind has an impact to how the race will be run, but the same is true about many other conditions, like humidity, sand condition and quality, temperature, sunlight, start-up distances just to name a few...

A microscopic view of horse racing, will only confirm that it is a chaotic event, that has to be approached by consecutive levels of abstraction that will simplify the whole process, instead of making it more complex.

An interesting opinion, and point of view. I disagree with the "has to" part. That makes it seem mandatory. It is an opinion, and a point of view--it is not necessarily something that dictates what others can express or accept as their opinion or point of view.

On the contrary, there are some situations and circumstances when a "microscopic view"--especially of factors and attributes overlooked by others in their scramble to find ultimate truth in sweeping generalities--can be quite profitable. Understanding the effect of the wind on the backstretch at Aqueduct--especially as winter approaches--may be among those situations and circumstances.

One of the most profitable (and enjoyable) winters I have spent in the east was a winter meet at Aqueduct--with what could only be described as a "microscopic view" of the races there. A bit of work, but well worth the effort.

Old Chinese saying: "All rivers lead to the sea."

Tom
11-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Wind can have a significant effect on pace times as Aqueduct.

mikel9478
11-02-2014, 08:26 PM
very interesting post. I wonder how big of an impact it had, and if more sprints or routes.

ronsmac
11-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Aqueduct is one of the windiest tracks I've ever seen.