PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita is a joke again!

depalma113
11-01-2014, 03:13 PM
The horse wires the field with those fractions. Typical Santa Anita garbage. Screw the Breeders Cup!

BlueChip@DRF
11-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Is it back to that weird condition from January 2001 where :20 and :41 doesn't die in the stretch?

camourous
11-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Racing would rather have good weather so they can gouge the customers that show up than put on a fair racing event.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Hard to bet with both fists and confidence when you see that.

Shemp Howard
11-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Yet I've heard a self-proclaimed "top East Coast conditioner" claim the Breeder's Cup should be permanently staged at this dump.

Go figger.

goatchaser
11-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Damn Santa Anita!! They should have not rolled the track. Should have left it open so we could have a Heavy / MuddyTrack today. They probably even Ordered the rain for Last night and this morning. DAMN YOU SANTA ANITA!!

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Damn Santa Anita!! They should have not rolled the track. Should have left it open so we could have a Heavy / MuddyTrack today. They probably even Ordered the rain for Last night and this morning. DAMN YOU SANTA ANITA!!

The track is supposed to be like umpires/refs in sports, they should blend into the backround and you should just notice the athletes.

Unfortunately, this is "track racing" and not horse racing.

The conventional handicapping process can be thrown out the window with the rest of the trash.

pandy
11-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Agree. This is a joke.

I would imagine that Bayern and Moreno may get into a speed duel. If you are on either one of those horses you have to try to get the lead.

This is one of the many problems with speed biased tracks on big days like this. I know that last year some people on here said stuff like, "who cares if the track favors speed, just bet the speed..."

Yeah, that works in claiming races on regular days but on a day like this, the bias could create some bizarre and unanticipated speed duels, and horses that sit just behind the speed will win, but good luck figuring out which stalker gets lucky.

I picked Stonetastic today, thinking that he can wire the field, but the bias may actually hurt him, because in a sprint I would think that he'll still get the lead but he'll probably have much more pressure than he would have normally, so a stalker may trip out.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Another speed horse, went right around there, nobody tried to beat her, they ran this like a harness qualifier, single file.

The way to "make money" on BC day is to pass the BC and bet other tracks, take advantage of the increased pools on everyday, overnight type races. Those tracks dont have "Special rules" where the 72 hour security barns just add a handicapping element that is a complete guess, i dont mind betting on honest races, but if the other 364 the races are "business as usual" what good does it do me to have clean races 1 day of the year?

Also, this is the Breeders/Horsemen/Owners cup, its the day where the participants get to become much richer while the bettors get no "break" in takeout rates and pay 20s and 40s just to get into the doors.

dilanesp
11-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Yet I've heard a self-proclaimed "top East Coast conditioner" claim the Breeder's Cup should be permanently staged at this dump.

Go figger.

Speed is the universal track bias.

And Santa Anita is no dump. Considering it is 78 years old, it is an amazingly fan friendly facility.

And if you want more consistent surfaces, we can always try synthetics again. Want that?

Finally, it's not as though you will get more consistent tracks by racing at places with bad weather.

pandy
11-01-2014, 03:56 PM
You're right, this is exactly why harness racing's handle on half and five eighth tracks has evaporated.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Speed is the universal track bias.

And Santa Anita is no dump. Considering it is 78 years old, it is an amazingly fan friendly facility.

And if you want more consistent surfaces, we can always try synthetics again. Want that?

Finally, it's not as though you will get more consistent tracks by racing at places with bad weather.

If horses go "too fast" they're supposed to get tired and the closers are supposed to swoop up. But that doesn't happen at this place, doesn't matter how fast you go, the closers won't come and get you. At other places they do, here they don't.

goatchaser
11-01-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm never going to understand People who play the races. When I stink it up I stink up. I never blame the Track. You see how it's playing. So adjust to it. I'm hard Headed like a lot of horse Players. Yes The Breeders Cup should be about the Horses. But I think it's also about Making Money. You have two nice Prices so far. Hope someone made some money. I didn't.

You do know if it was a fair track and all Fav's won. We would be hearing how Chalky the day was.

MadWorld
11-01-2014, 04:00 PM
If horses go "too fast" they're supposed to get tired and the closers are supposed to swoop up. But that doesn't happen at this place, doesn't matter how fast you go, the closers won't come and get you. At other places they do, here they don't.

Take that information and bet accordingly

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 04:13 PM

Here's the problem. The information that i've already spent time accumulating is useless. I want to be able to use THAT information. I spend plenty of time on replays making trip notes and other stuff and i don't do that so i can throw it out the window and bet on the horse i THINK is going to get the lead in the first 3 strides of the race.

Tom
11-01-2014, 04:14 PM

I did.
I bet at Woodbine. :D

pandy
11-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Jerry Bailey just said that no horse has ever gone wire to wire in the sprint.

pandy
11-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Here's the problem. The information that i've already spent time accumulating is useless. I want to be able to use THAT information. I spend plenty of time on replays making trip notes and other stuff and i don't do that so i can throw it out the window and bet on the horse i THINK is going to get the lead in the first 3 strides of the race.

I agree 100%. What's the use of handicapping when it all goes out the window and becomes a guessing game of who's going to be the last horse to get the lead?

cj
11-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Jerry Bailey just said that no horse has ever gone wire to wire in the sprint.

FM Sprint, right?

dilanesp
11-01-2014, 04:28 PM
FM Sprint, right?

Still true. And so much for the bias.

pandy
11-01-2014, 04:28 PM
FM Sprint, right?

Yes, that's right, and it held up again, even with a slow first quarter. Judy The Beauty was one of the highest late energy horses in the race, so hopefully the track is drying out and becoming fairer.

cj
11-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Yes, that's right, and it held up again, even with a slow first quarter. Judy The Beauty was one of the highest late energy horses in the race, so hopefully the track is drying out and becoming fairer.

It is certainly slower than earlier on the card, probably some correlation.

FrankieFigs
11-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Good thing that speed bias is there or Judy the Beauty doesn't hold on to beat the closing-from-the-back-of-the-pack Better Lucky, right? :rolleyes:

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Good thing that speed bias is there or Judy the Beauty doesn't hold on to beat the closing-from-the-back-of-the-pack Better Lucky, right? :rolleyes:

What are you a wise guy? :D

Tom
11-01-2014, 04:40 PM

That's 2 good ones for you today..... :lol:

FrankieFigs
11-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Gotta have a little fun playing this game. Only way to keep my sanity... :cool:

winningponies
11-01-2014, 04:47 PM
I did.
I bet at Woodbine. :D

Good call Tom. We hit that early Double for $549. Great play...

PaceAdvantage
11-01-2014, 04:49 PM
The horse wires the field with those fractions. Typical Santa Anita garbage. Screw the Breeders Cup!I loved every single minute of that race...

dilanesp
11-01-2014, 04:56 PM
I loved every single minute of that race...

All one and two thirds of them?

PaceAdvantage
11-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Damn straight...and all 60/1 payout... :lol:

pandy
11-01-2014, 05:03 PM
The turf course seems a little inside biased, too, but let's face it, it's green spray paint at Santa Anita, not real grass. But I like Silentio, hopefully he gets a clear run.

JimG
11-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Yeah, after watching Texas Red's race, the track is really inside early speed favoring. Damn Santa Anita! LOL

andtheyreoff
11-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I think you guys jumped the gun a little bit.

goatchaser
11-01-2014, 06:03 PM
So Happy Santa Anita is a Strech Runners Paradise. I Finally made a NICE SCORE!!

cj
11-01-2014, 06:09 PM
I always recommend playing a track like it is fair and use bias notes later...just really tough thing to be sure of without a full day of information.

Now, taking a flyer on a horse like the winner of the Juvenile Fillies at 60-1, why not (nice job PA), but I just can't bet horses based only on the track. It almost always turns as soon as everyone thinks they know a track is biased.

pandy
11-01-2014, 06:10 PM
I think you guys jumped the gun a little bit.

C J can shine a light on this. There's no doubt that the track was lightning fast and speed favoring for the first four races, but when it dried out, it changed, thankfully.

Congrats to the Desormeaux brothers, what a great story. Keith was his usual hard ass self, but Kent handled it well. Personally, I think it's pretty obvious that Keith is jealous of Kent, but, I congratulate both of them on this great win. Keith has proven himself as a trainer. Kent is one of the greatest riders of all time.

goatchaser
11-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Unread Today, 10:21 AM #53
goatchaser

vCash: 400
21.3 43.4 1:08.2 Cement track right now. BUT..It's expected that the track was pounded down so the rain didn't soak in. In rained until about 2 hours ago. Surprised it wasn't wet at all. I think they will dig a little deeper after each race.

Just needed Patience is all I was saying.

cj
11-01-2014, 06:11 PM
C J can shine a light on this. There's no doubt that the track was lightning fast and speed favoring for the first four races, but when it dried out, it changed, thankfully.

Congrats to the Desormeaux brothers, what a great story. Keith was his usual hard ass self, but Kent handled it well. Personally, I think it's pretty obvious that Keith is jealous of Kent, but, I congratulate both of them on this great win. Keith has proven himself as a trainer. Kent is one of the greatest riders of all time.

I agreed, and even said before racing started the track would probably change throughout the card on Twitter. It will be a fairly tough day for making figures.

dilanesp
11-01-2014, 06:13 PM

You need to wait for horses to come back on normal tracks before you conclude there is no doubt of a bias.

MadWorld
11-01-2014, 07:21 PM

Correct, but that is the case for everyone. If you recognize a speed bias, it should help you a lot.

I'm sure a speed bias at Santa Anita on a big day wasn't a shock to you though.

magwell
11-01-2014, 07:30 PM
The horse wires the field with those fractions. Typical Santa Anita garbage. Screw the Breeders Cup!Now they should ban Santa Anita ........:rolleyes:

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Correct, but that is the case for everyone. If you recognize a speed bias, it should help you a lot.

I'm sure a speed bias at Santa Anita on a big day wasn't a shock to you though.

But a speed bias essentially eliminates a certain segment of the race, it makes it a shorter field....isn't it better if ALL the runners actually had a shot if the race went their way?

I just want more options.

pandy
11-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Fortunately the track settled as it dried, but, yes, a speed bias will kill the sport. It killed harness racing, especially on the half and five eighth tracks. If it wasn't for the two turn tracks like Balmoral, Hoosier, Meadowlands, Woodbine, harness racing would be finished.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Fortunately the track settled as it dried, but, yes, a speed bias will kill the sport. It killed harness racing, especially on the half and five eighth tracks. If it wasn't for the two turn tracks like Balmoral, Hoosier, Meadowlands, Woodbine, harness racing would be finished.

You GOTTA be able to win from "the clouds" on occasion. Tracks like Santa Anita heavily water their main track, and the kickback is ferocious, horses return to be unsaddled caked in mud. Track has to be fair.

Clocker
11-01-2014, 08:08 PM
But a speed bias essentially eliminates a certain segment of the race, it makes it a shorter field....isn't it better if ALL the runners actually had a shot if the race went their way?

Not if the public thinks that all the runners actually have a shot.

Tom
11-01-2014, 08:45 PM
You GOTTA be able to win from "the clouds" on occasion. Tracks like Santa Anita heavily water their main track, and the kickback is ferocious, horses return to be unsaddled caked in mud. Track has to be fair.
Like Texas Red?

depalma113
11-01-2014, 08:52 PM
I like Bayern, but he needs to come down.

Stillriledup
I like Bayern, but he needs to come down.
no doubt. Easy call.

DJofSD
I guess 1:59 was too fast. Take 'em down.

RXB
11-01-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm not so sure. They're lenient with regard to the first three jumps and that's where the interference occurred.

Nobody gained much ground in that race. Dirt is just so front-biased.

depalma113
11-01-2014, 08:57 PM
More Santa Anita garbage.

RXB
11-01-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm not so sure. They're lenient with regard to the first three jumps and that's where the interference occurred.

Nobody gained much ground in that race. Dirt is just so front-biased.

Just as I was hit the post button, they announced they're leaving it. I'm not surprised.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Baffert crashes/bothers Shared Belief again and stays up.

Story at 11.

Tom
11-01-2014, 09:00 PM
That was far more than a bump out of the gate.
Another Baffert mug job.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 09:00 PM
If the first jump is off limits, why don't more jocks just wipe out the field in big races? Seems like a no brainer, esp if you're a speed horse, you can just cut the field off and nobody says a word.

Relwob Owner
11-01-2014, 09:02 PM
If the first jump is off limits, why don't more jocks just wipe out the field in big races? Seems like a no brainer, esp if you're a speed horse, you can just cut the field off and nobody says a word.

Exactly......

depalma113
11-01-2014, 09:02 PM
A Merry-Go-Round in the Classic!

Yeah, the track was fair. :lol:

Mr_Ed
11-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Wow. Did the stewards que up the correct start.

Was an easy call.

pandy
11-01-2014, 09:03 PM
He should have been dq'd but you know they let horses get away with murder in these big races. When I saw how badly he came in I was rooting hard for California Chrome to pass him in the stretch. Tainted win for Bayern.

Mr_Ed
11-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Listen to these goofs interviewed in the winners circle (Battering Ram Baffert and his jock(strap).

Got away with murder.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Here's what i don't get.

If there's 0 pct chance anything that happens at the start is dq-able, why even put the inquiry up in the first place? Why even bother looking at it?

Once you put up the inquiry, you're essentially saying its a DQ-able offense and if its a DQ-able offense, how does it NOT come down?

Know what im saying?

ArlJim78
11-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Moreno got double teamed, first by Bayern then Toast of New York clocked him for good measure. I've seen less bumping at a demoltion derby.

pandy
11-01-2014, 09:13 PM
It was an obvious DQ, no doubt about it. What a horrible classic and the start ruined the race. Bayern should have been taken down not only for his infraction but for completely screwing up the biggest race of the year. He eliminated two of his main rivals including his only pace rival. What a joke.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 09:15 PM
It was an obvious DQ, no doubt about it. What a horrible classic and the start ruined the race. Bayern should have been taken down not only for his infraction but for completely screwing up the biggest race of the year. He eliminated two of his main rivals including his only pace rival. What a joke.

AND, the horse he crashed into he has a history of interfering with.....interfering with ON PURPOSE.

ArlJim78
11-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Remember it was a Baffert horse that tried to take out Shared Belief in his prior race.

JustRalph
11-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Nobody made up any ground at all. Did this track flip again?

Tom
11-01-2014, 09:25 PM
I think I have seen enough horse racing for this lifetime.
I had the place horse 6 units to place and 12 units to show.
And I still don't want to ever watch another race.
Especially on a dirt track.

Track Phantom
11-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Most insulting thing I've ever seen in racing.

Didn't have an impact on the outcome? Hmmm....

Ask yourself this, what odds would Bayern gone off at if I would have told you he had a fairly easy, uncontested lead and the other two speeds, Cigar Street and, more notably, Moreno, were cut off and basically eliminated?

2-1

Beachbabe
11-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Here's what i don't get.

If there's 0 pct chance anything that happens at the start is dq-able, why even put the inquiry up in the first place? Why even bother looking at it?

Once you put up the inquiry, you're essentially saying its a DQ-able offense and if its a DQ-able offense, how does it NOT come down?

Know what im saying?

That's what I dont get.
Bayern bothered a few horses but they say it didn't affect Shared Belief's placing. Bull&&it.
Why put up the inquiry if they knew it was something that happened right out of the gate and that they would say it didn't affect a placing. :ThmbDown:

dilanesp
11-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Most insulting thing I've ever seen in racing.

Didn't have an impact on the outcome? Hmmm....

Ask yourself this, what odds would Bayern gone off at if I would have told you he had a fairly easy, uncontested lead and the other two speeds, Cigar Street and, more notably, Moreno, were cut off and basically eliminated?

2-1

Too speculative. The stewards can't assume tactics

Had SB finished closer, he would have come down.

dilanesp
11-01-2014, 09:30 PM
That's what I dont get.
Bayern bothered a few horses but they say it didn't affect Shared Belief's placing. Bull&&it.
Why put up the inquiry if they knew it was something that happened right out of the gate and that they would say it didn't affect a placing. :ThmbDown:

Because the whole world is watching.

classhandicapper
11-01-2014, 09:33 PM
I understand the inclination to not DQ horses in major races & also understand the extra leeway given at the start of races. However, Bayern took out the 2-1 favorite and the only other quality speed in the race in one huge bump. I have long argued that DQs should be rare & obvious. But if you don't DQ Bayern there, then no horse should ever be DQ'd for an infraction at the start of a race ever again. That call practically encourages riders to take out their major foes at the start.

For the record, I didn't have a bet on the race. So this is not sour grapes. IMO it's just another inconsistent call. If the calls were consistent, you'd at least know what you were up against. We obviously need some national standards for DQs so people don't have to come away from races feeling like they got screwed.

All that said, Bayern is a terrific horse. He's probably better than I gave him credit for. But IMO he's not the best 3yo in the country. He's had extraordinary good fortune with biases and trips in all his major wins except the Woody Stephens. I really hope the voters realize that CA Chrome and Shared Belief are superior racehorses when it comes time to give out year end awards, but I doubt it.

Bigadam119
11-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Was there really a speed bias in the BC races today?

Also Parx should be happy with the Classic/distaff combo.

Redboard
11-01-2014, 09:39 PM
I understand..... that CA Chrome and Shared Belief are superior racehorses when it comes time to give out year end awards, but I doubt it.

Interesting thought, but I don't believe the Eclipse voters would disqualify the horse when the SA stewards didn't.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 09:40 PM
I understand the inclination to not DQ horses in major races & also understand the extra leeway given at the start of races. However, Bayern took out the 2-1 favorite and the only other quality speed in the race in one huge bump. I have long argued that DQs should be rare & obvious. But if you don't DQ Bayern there, then no horse should ever be DQ'd for an infraction at the start of a race ever again. That call practically encourages riders to take out their major foes at the start.

For the record, I didn't have a bet on the race. So this is not sour grapes. IMO it's just another inconsistent call. If the calls were consistent, you'd at least know what you were up against. We obviously need some national standards for DQs so people don't have to come away from races feeling like they got screwed.

All that said, Bayern is a terrific horse. He's probably better than I gave him credit for. But IMO he's not the best 3yo in the country. He's had extraordinary good fortune with biases and trips in all his major wins except the Woody Stephens. I really hope the voters realize that CA Chrome and Shared Belief are superior racehorses when it comes time to give out year end awards, but I doubt it.

Good post. To set the record straight, there's no "leeway" because the official response from the judges was that it didn't affect the outcome. This means, if the outcome was affected in their mind, they take the horse down, they don't leave it up under the guise of "let them play" out of the gate.

Also, there's history of this trainers horse bothering Shared Belief on purpose. Now, i don't know about any of you, but to me, that's a factor, even if i wouldn't say it publicly, i would think about it in my mind as i was making the call.

Tom
11-01-2014, 09:40 PM
All that said, Bayern is a terrific horse.

He has a good left hook.

Good post. To set the record straight, there's no "leeway" because the official response from the judges was that it didn't affect the outcome.

Then how you ever DQ a horse other than at the wire?

Redboard
11-01-2014, 09:41 PM
I think I have seen enough horse racing for this lifetime.
I had the place horse 6 units to place and 12 units to show.
And I still don't want to ever watch another race.
Especially on a dirt track.

Right, you'll be back tomorrow playing Ft. Erie.

Tom
11-01-2014, 09:43 PM
No, not a chance.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 09:44 PM
He has a good left hook.

Then how you ever DQ a horse other than at the wire?

My point was that some people, including Baffert in post race interviews before the inquiry was decided, were saying that there's 'leeway' at the start. But, if we are to believe the judges, Bayern comes down if they thought it affected the outcome. I'm not sure how you can say a horse getting totally clobbered like that, jarred off his feet, didn't affect that horse's chances.

SmartyLane
11-01-2014, 09:47 PM

Completely agree with you.

I love Chrome and had some question on how good SB really is. After this race he showed me how good he is. Moreno who should of been up with Bayern vying for the front was bumping with SB the entire backstretch hindering SB even more than just the first couple furlongs. Worst part about the race is we can all agree the race was not run giving all horses a shot. As mentioned above, you tell me Bayern has lone lead entire way around, I am unloading the savings account on him. Entire structure of race changed 50 ft from start. Very unfortunate, Chrome ran good race and SB really is real deal to get 4th considering.

Edit: what the heck was Rosario thinking to let Tona be so far out of it. He had no shot at the leaders but still closed lots of ground.

classhandicapper
11-01-2014, 09:51 PM
My point was that some people, including Baffert in post race interviews before the inquiry was decided, was saying that there's 'leeway' at the start. But, if we are to believe the judges, Bayern comes down if they thought it affected the outcome. I'm not sure how you can say a horse getting totally clobbered like that, jarred off his feet, didn't affect that horse's chances.

It's preposterous to say it didn't effect his chances. They are full of crap. It also took out Moreno which further changed the race.

The leeway comes from the understanding that there is a lot of incidental and accidental contact at the start of races. If you start DQ'ing horses for every bump at the start, you'd rarely get a race without an inquiry. But this was not incidental and it took out the favorite and the other major speed. Both had a huge impact. If they can't tell that everything about the race changed dramatically at the start for several major contenders, then they should not be in a decision making position.

Mr_Ed
11-01-2014, 09:51 PM
3 lengths out of the gate SB is turned to a 10 o'clock position.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 09:53 PM
It's preposterous to say it didn't effect his chances. They are full of crap. It also took out Moreno which further changed the race.

The leeway comes from the understanding that there is a lot of incidental and accidental contact at the start of races. If you start DQ'ing horses for every bump at the start, you'd rarely get a race without an inquiry. But this was not incidental and it took out the favorite and the other major speed. If they can't tell that everything about the race changed dramatically at the start, then they should not be in a decision making position.

no doubt, totally agree.

Tom
11-01-2014, 09:54 PM
If they can't tell that everything about the race changed dramatically at the start, then they should not be in a decision making position.

In their defense, they checked the replays, they checked with the riders, they checked their rickets....

Back when Sirius/XM had a racing channel, they had HRTV on at noon, and one of the California stewards was on every Thursday.

The guy was a total jerk.

Stillriledup
11-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Privman unloading on the judges.

https://twitter.com/DRFPrivman

FrankieFigs
11-01-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm still cracking up at those that are still proclaiming a "speed bias" because Bayern goes wire-to-wire. The reason why no one was gaining at the end is due to him getting an easy lead and having something left in the tank in the stretch.

thespaah
11-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Well, credit yourself with another astute observation.
This is my gripe. My number one peeve.
That is when the track management "plays" with the surface to favor one type of running style over another.

iceknight
11-01-2014, 10:06 PM
This will SURELY get lot more new fans to Horse Racing!!

DJofSD
11-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Do we believe the best stewards were in charge today? Are the stewards something the BC Ltd. has any control over?

thespaah
11-01-2014, 10:20 PM
The track DID change throughout the day. It appeared to be playing relatively even as the day wore on.
Perhaps the product of the track drying out a bit and this giving horses a chance to forge forward from mid pack.
For example, Tonalist was over at Bel Aire Country Club getting in a quick 9 holes as the field reached the 3/8ths and he ended up a credible 5th.
One can surmise the result had Tonalist been closer up at that point.
Tonalist made up 10 lengths from the 1/4 pole. And 5 lengths from the stretch call

Tom
11-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Do we believe the best stewards were in charge today? Are the stewards something the BC Ltd. has any control over?

:lol: You used best and stewards in the same sentence! :lol:
That call was so bad, I am expecting the stewards to be sent to Finger Lakes.

magwell
11-01-2014, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't have taken him but then again I wouldn't have given Victor 7 days for herding SB out in the first turn in the Awesome Again.So maybe I should be a steward at SRU Downs where everybody gets paid ?..........;)

biggestal99
11-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Another speed horse, went right around there, nobody tried to beat her, they ran this like a harness qualifier, single file.

The way to "make money" on BC day is to pass the BC and bet other tracks, take advantage of the increased pools on everyday, overnight type races. Those tracks dont have "Special rules" where the 72 hour security barns just add a handicapping element that is a complete guess, i dont mind betting on honest races, but if the other 364 the races are "business as usual" what good does it do me to have clean races 1 day of the year?

Also, this is the Breeders/Horsemen/Owners cup, its the day where the participants get to become much richer while the bettors get no "break" in takeout rates and pay 20s and 40s just to get into the doors.

The way to make money in the bc is to ignore the chalk and concentrate on bombers with a chance.

Allan

goatchaser
11-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Snow racing at Aquaduct..Speed never hangs on there right? Saratoga track is to deep and Sandy.....Poly just sucks..It's not real dirt. Santa Anita is the worst speed Bias track in the country..With all this BS to put up with..why do you guys still Play the Ponies?...Unbelievable. Why don't you all just write the track you play and ask them to conform the track to the way you Handicap. You seem to want it all just handed to you on a plate.

PaceAdvantage
11-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Now, taking a flyer on a horse like the winner of the Juvenile Fillies at 60-1, why not (nice job PA), but I just can't bet horses based only on the track.For the record, the track had nothing to do with my pick in that race, even though I did mention bias in my write up...but that's because I'm lazy in my writing and needed something to write about... :lol:

Hambletonian
11-02-2014, 08:17 AM
So Ca has always been a speed favoring joke, maybe changed a little with the synthetics, but not anymore.
l
if they were concerned about fairness the BC would be at Belmont, Churchill, Woodbine, Arlington or Gulfstream every year.

they want sunny weather and celebrity interviews, I guess keep it in So Cal.

pandy
11-02-2014, 08:37 AM
It has. Stretch out speed and speed in general is something that has to be given careful consideration in route races at Santa Anita, always has been. Speed does better going two turns there than in sprints because the riders are much more aggressive in one turn races. In sprints, you want stalkers.

Another thing I don't like about Santa Anita is the turf course, which has very little grass on it and is way too fast. The turf courses at Arlington, Belmont, Woodbine, are much better courses, no comparison. Santa Anita turf has always been bad.

Track Phantom
11-02-2014, 09:10 AM
I don't understand the debate here. Especially amongst the savvy handicappers that come on this forum.

Bayern eliminated horses, most notably the speed in Moreno and that completely changed the complexion (and almost certiainly, the outcome) of the race. To say anything otherwise is indicating using pace in your handicapping is foolish and doesn't matter.

This is one of the most insulting things I've ever seen. Ever! The insult goes in a lot of directions but, most clearly, protecting the elite at the expense of the "little guy" (not Andy Serling, mind you).

The integrity of horse racing took a major blow yesterday, in my opinion.

pandy
11-02-2014, 09:22 AM
I agree, Valento. Worse yet, it's hard to imagine that the judges didn't feel the horse should come down. They just didn't want to take down the winner of a major race. They took the easy and cowardly way out.

dilanesp
11-02-2014, 09:34 AM
I don't understand the debate here. Especially amongst the savvy handicappers that come on this forum.

Bayern eliminated horses, most notably the speed in Moreno and that completely changed the complexion (and almost certiainly, the outcome) of the race. To say anything otherwise is indicating using pace in your handicapping is foolish and doesn't matter.

This is one of the most insulting things I've ever seen. Ever! The insult goes in a lot of directions but, most clearly, protecting the elite at the expense of the "little guy" (not Andy Serling, mind you).

The integrity of horse racing took a major blow yesterday, in my opinion.

The integrity of racing did just fine. There are specific rules on disqualifications, and had the stewards taken a number down for "changing the complexion of the race", rather than costing a horse a better finish, their decision would have violated California law.

Disqualification isn't permitted to fix anything that goes wrong in a horse race.

Track Phantom
11-02-2014, 09:49 AM
The integrity of racing did just fine. There are specific rules on disqualifications, and had the stewards taken a number down for "changing the complexion of the race", rather than costing a horse a better finish, their decision would have violated California law.

Disqualification isn't permitted to fix anything that goes wrong in a horse race.

Huh? Not a single word you said made a lick of sense to me. Even if what you said was true, it flies in the face of logic.

Horse racing integrity took a major hit yesterday, whether you want to admit it or not. I was in a Vegas sports book and there wasn't a single person I heard directly or indirectly that wasn't disgusted by this.

SandyW
11-02-2014, 10:25 AM

This is the post that makes the most sense to me, anything can happen in a race that could and most of the time does change the outcome of a race.
It is not the stewards job to change the complexion of a race.
Shared Belief was sitting behind California Chrome on the outside all the way down the back stretch, when CC made his move SB could not stay with him. What we need now is a match race between the two of them to prove something that is very obvious that CC is a far better horse then SB.

wiffleball whizz
11-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Would have loved to see CC get second and see the owner start yelling about the no dq!!

classhandicapper
11-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Still can't figure out how to insert images right.

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10376279_856139174416478_365999984732135422_n.jpg? oh=b78e5fffb9fc00bc38546ae3fea2a209&oe=54E4002C