PDA

View Full Version : Maybe not the best of plans?

Tom
11-01-2014, 11:07 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88483/nov-1-racing-at-meadowlands-canceled?source=rss

They ran 8 cards, cancelled 5.
Maybe not the right time of year for all grass races?

Meadowlands used to be a great race meet.

titans1127
11-01-2014, 01:27 PM
You know I've thought about it but never really looking into the reasoning, but why are races taken off the turf when it rains but a sloppy track is fine? I'm guessing it has to do with the footing or traction that isn't there on wet grass compared to mud.

castaway01
11-01-2014, 02:21 PM
You know I've thought about it but never really looking into the reasoning, but why are races taken off the turf when it rains but a sloppy track is fine? I'm guessing it has to do with the footing or traction that isn't there on wet grass compared to mud.

Because horses' hooves running over soft, wet grass tears that turf course up and eventually would ruin it while horses' hooves running on mud just put a mark in the dirt.

Tom
11-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Why worry about the course on the last day for almost a year?

RXB
11-01-2014, 03:19 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88483/nov-1-racing-at-meadowlands-canceled?source=rss

They ran 8 cards, cancelled 5.
Maybe not the right time of year for all grass races?

I agree. They should be running on both surfaces. This coming from someone who MUCH prefers grass racing; but it's just not practical.

OTM Al
11-01-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm sitting there right now. It rained a lot here. They waited to the last minute to cancel today. Just seemed to rain every weekend this month but not at all during the week. Just bad luck and no reason to give up on the meet.

BTW, it costs a lot of money to change over the dirt track twice like that. Just not worth it.

Tom
11-01-2014, 03:55 PM
I gave on the meet as soon as they announced it. :D

Brogan
11-01-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm sitting there right now. It rained a lot here. They waited to the last minute to cancel today. Just seemed to rain every weekend this month but not at all during the week. Just bad luck and no reason to give up on the meet.

BTW, it costs a lot of money to change over the dirt track twice like that. Just not worth it.
Today was canceled last night.

OTM Al
11-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Today was canceled last night.

I kept looking for it and didn't see it til 10 this morning. Was going regardless though.