PDA

View Full Version : Conflict of interest in NJ Sports wagering case....

onefast99
10-31-2014, 08:44 AM
As reported by sports law blog yesterday there appears to be a conflict of interest in the fact that Judge Michael Shipp is the older brother to former NFL running back Marcel Shipp. But the story gets better, it appears that as the Judge initially ruled in the sports wagering case in 2013 less than five months after that decision, Marcel Shipp is in training camp with the Arizona Cardinals serving on then first-year head coach Bruce Arian’s coaching staff as a Walsh Fellow.
This is indeed a conflict of interest and the Judge should in fact remove himself from presiding over this case due to impartiality.

SandyW
10-31-2014, 09:24 AM
As reported by sports law blog yesterday there appears to be a conflict of interest in the fact that Judge Michael Shipp is the older brother to former NFL running back Marcel Shipp. But the story gets better, it appears that as the Judge initially ruled in the sports wagering case in 2013 less than five months after that decision, Marcel Shipp is in training camp with the Arizona Cardinals serving on then first-year head coach Bruce Arian’s coaching staff as a Walsh Fellow.
This is indeed a conflict of interest and the Judge should in fact remove himself from presiding over this case due to impartiality.

And now you are some sort of a legal expert, give us a break already and stop trying to think you know more then the rest of the world.
You my friend are not the judge and the jury. All this info was well known when the judge was assigned the case and the lawyers for New Jersey did not object.

Robert Goren
10-31-2014, 09:33 AM
You seem to think that Judge Shipp is the reason you are not getting sports wagering in NJ. He is not. A change in judges is not going to change anything.

Canarsie
10-31-2014, 10:22 AM

Even Lesniak sees no problem how this is playing out I don't see what your beef is. If it’s serious and the guy who has spent millions of dollars om attorney fees while drawing a high salary (my guess it’s not public) hasn't asked for him (judge Shipp) to be recused he ought to be taken off the MP payroll. Wouldn't that be a fair argument against the MP side being incompetent?

This story is 3 1/2 weeks old why is it being brought up now?

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/10/brother_of_judge_on_sports_betting_case_was_nfl_pl ayer_the_auditor.html

onefast99
10-31-2014, 10:42 AM
You seem to think that Judge Shipp is the reason you are not getting sports wagering in NJ. He is not. A change in judges is not going to change anything.
I'm glad you're a wiz at reading comprehension, nowhere did I ever imply that. What was implied is if there is a conflict based on impartiality the Judge should remove himself.

onefast99
10-31-2014, 10:44 AM
And now you are some sort of a legal expert, give us a break already and stop trying to think you know more then the rest of the world.
You my friend are not the judge and the jury. All this info was well known when the judge was assigned the case and the lawyers for New Jersey did not object.
"the burden of disclosing such information to New Jersey should be placed on those having unique, first-hand personal knowledge of the facts." This information wasn't well known prior to Judge Shipp ruling on the case in 2013 or last week, this is another attempt by you to discredit everyone and anything that you disagree with as you continuously did in the original Sports wagering thread.

onefast99
10-31-2014, 10:49 AM
Even Lesniak sees no problem how this is playing out I don't see what your beef is. If it’s serious and the guy who has spent millions of dollars om attorney fees while drawing a high salary (my guess it’s not public) hasn't asked for him (judge Shipp) to be recused he ought to be taken off the MP payroll. Wouldn't that be a fair argument against the MP side being incompetent?

This story is 3 1/2 weeks old why is it being brought up now?

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/10/brother_of_judge_on_sports_betting_case_was_nfl_pl ayer_the_auditor.html
A lot more has been uncovered since that NJ.COM two paragraph article. I won't speculate on who is or who isn't on the MP payroll as it has nothing to do with this latest development. Even if Judge Shipp removes himself the permanent injunction will be addressed and executed. The third circuit will then get this case back, there will be no sports wagering for quite sometime as this continues to get battled in the court system. Good luck today Mr C!

SandyW
10-31-2014, 10:51 AM
"the burden of disclosing such information to New Jersey should be placed on those having unique, first-hand personal knowledge of the facts." This information wasn't well known prior to Judge Shipp ruling on the case in 2013 or last week, this is another attempt by you to discredit everyone and anything that you disagree with as you continuously did in the original Sports wagering thread.

This is a quote from State Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-Union) on Oct.5,2014, I suggest you read it, explain to me what new information has come out and why the good Sen. Lesniak has not said anything, but you seem to have more info then they do and where do you get your info from.
What is the latest development that you are talking about??
It seems that you are the only one that has this information.

The Auditor isn’t suggesting that there’s any kind of conflict on Shipp’s part. His brother’s NFL career ended long before he took up the case. And it’s The Auditor’s understanding that litigants of both sides of the case have thought Shipp handled it fairly.

"State Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-Union), who has battled for sports betting for years, said he was interested to learn about Shipp’s brother but didn’t see a problem."

“The NFL treats former players as badly as they treat everyone else so I'm not concerned,” he said

onefast99
10-31-2014, 11:05 AM
This is a quote from State Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-Union) on Oct.5,2014, I suggest you read it:

The Auditor isn’t suggesting that there’s any kind of conflict on Shipp’s part. His brother’s NFL career ended long before he took up the case. And it’s The Auditor’s understanding that litigants of both sides of the case have thought Shipp handled it fairly.

"State Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-Union), who has battled for sports betting for years, said he was interested to learn about Shipp’s brother but didn’t see a problem."

“The NFL treats former players as badly as they treat everyone else so I'm not concerned,” he said

Over the past 24 hours new information has come to light that shows a timeline of the events with Judge Shipp as related to his brothers attempt to gain a coveted position with an NFL team.

onefast99
10-31-2014, 11:08 AM
This is a quote from State Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-Union) on Oct.5,2014, I suggest you read it, explain to me what new information has come out and why the good Sen. Lesniak has not said anything, but you seem to have more info then they do and where do you get your info from.

A question you have asked of at least 4 or 5 posters on this forum. Here is a simple answer learn how to navigate through the sports law blog and see that a lot of the information you read here is from that site, don't limit yourself to one media report sandyw it will make you one dimensional!

SandyW
10-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Over the past 24 hours new information has come to light that shows a timeline of the events with Judge Shipp as related to his brothers attempt to gain a coveted position with an NFL team.

Where can I find this so call new information that is only 24 hours old?

onefast99
10-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Where can I find this so call new information that is only 24 hours old?
Search for it. ;)

SandyW
10-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Search for it. ;)

That is a good non answer, but I found it and this does not change anything.
As I said before this thread and the other thread will reach well beyond the 1000 post mark long before New Jersey takes their first legal sports bet.

onefast99
10-31-2014, 11:42 AM
That is a good non answer, but I found it and this does not change anything.
As I said before this thread and the other thread will reach well beyond the 1000 post mark long before New Jersey takes their first legal sports bet.
I have no reason whatsoever to start a thread that has no validity to it based on my opinion. I do agree with you that NJ won't be taking bets for quite sometime as the courts will continue to throw this one around at least until June or July. Have a good day at the track...thats where I am headed, I will post my parimutuel tickets veifying that tonight!:cool:

thespaah
10-31-2014, 06:40 PM
What makes you think your opinion means more than that of others?
You don't get to tell people to "shut up" just because you don't like what they have to post.
The OP is merely expressing HIS view of the issue.
From the get go, you have been 100% anti NJ SW. The manner and tone in which you've posted on this subject has been unpleasant and sometimes caustic and biting.
So what gives? Why are so unwilling to give this thing a chance? Why are you so dead opposed to it? What's your deal?
Don't flame back. Just answer the questions.

thespaah
10-31-2014, 06:52 PM
And your reason for stating this is...?

thespaah
10-31-2014, 06:55 PM

THat is simply Lesniak's opinion.

ultracapper
11-02-2014, 05:22 AM
And so, in which direction would the judge be biased, for, or against, sports wagering in NJ, because his brother was a football player.

How can a judge rule on one of these Microsoft anti-trust cases, when his brother has a computer in his house?

Robert Goren
11-02-2014, 06:21 AM
And your reason for stating this is...? NJ does not have the law on its side. A change in judges is not going to change that.

Robert Goren
11-02-2014, 06:22 AM
And so, in which direction would the judge be biased, for, or against, sports wagering in NJ, because his brother was a football player.

How can a judge rule on one of these Microsoft anti-trust cases, when his brother has a computer in his house?Only if it were a Mac.

onefast99
11-02-2014, 09:30 AM

How can a judge rule on one of these Microsoft anti-trust cases, when his brother has a computer in his house?
His brother is now in line for a much coveted position as a coach in the NFL!

onefast99
11-02-2014, 09:31 AM
NJ does not have the law on its side. A change in judges is not going to change that.
Typical answer from you, bandwagon "I hate the horseman" bs....

Canarsie
11-02-2014, 09:46 AM
I have a question for the opposition to sw side and always like to see all points of view (intelligent) written here.

You can only have one or the other.

1. stay is extended and eventually judges rule against NJ.

2. stay is lifted and you can only wager at a physical plant. It turns out to be a colossal failure and the entire process needs to be reworked. Bookmakers thrive from day one that sw is implemented.

Before you jump on my butt this is just for entertainment purposes only. There is too much animosity between both sides maybe this will lighten it up.

Write away boys and girls and try to remember to have fun.

SandyW
11-02-2014, 09:56 AM
His brother is now in line for a much coveted position as a coach in the NFL!

So you are saying that if the judge ruled against the NFL, his brother would not be in line for a coaching position in the NFL.
I guess his brother can't be much of a coach if he need all this so call help that you mentioned.

onefast99
11-02-2014, 10:54 AM
So you are saying that if the judge ruled against the NFL, his brother would not be in line for a coaching position in the NFL.
I guess his brother can't be much of a coach if he need all this so call help that you mentioned.
"Just over a year ago, Marcel Shipp served (https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/status/350750321196285952) as a Bill Walsh NFL Minority Coaching Fellow with the Arizona Cardinals (http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Walsh-Fellowship-Influences-Cards-Staff/88e77cad-5728-4c87-aa5d-b33bc98c76a8). The Walsh Fellowship is a highly selective coaching program (https://www.nflplayerengagement.com/next/bill-walsh-nfl-minority-coaching-fellowship/) administered by two league entities, the NFL Management Council and NFL Player Engagement. The league-run program assigns talented minority coaches to NFL teams during minicamps and training camp. During this time, they gain coaching experience and better position themselves for full-time coaching jobs with NFL teams. Most NFL coaches who are minorities participated in the Walsh Fellowship. Marcel Shipp’s own Twitter page (https://twitter.com/search?q=%40marcelshipp&src=typd) stresses “straight to the NFL,” implying a desire to return to the NFL."