PDA

View Full Version : Super Derby postponed as 10 horses tested

nearco
10-31-2014, 12:37 AM
This is a pretty unusual (and admirable action I must say).

8 of the 10 qualifiers for the Super Derby (Quarterhorses) at Los Alamitos are trained by one trainer, a relatively unknown trainer, and were previously in the care of a trainer who was banned last year.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/allred-postpones-super-derby-finals-orders-hair-testing-for-qualifiers/

nearco
10-31-2014, 12:42 AM
It's also interesting that the Super Derby was scheduled the same day as the Breeders Cup at Santa Anita. Maybe there isn't that much overlap between the QH crowd and the TB crowd, bit it seems like a scheduling conflict.

davew
10-31-2014, 01:13 AM
I have to wonder how long substances stay in the hair. Also if some of these Super Derby 'qualifiers' get disqualified and purse lept from previous race, what kind of legal action will follow.

Mineshaft
10-31-2014, 08:58 AM
damn you get ruled off for clenbuterol?

Mineshaft
10-31-2014, 08:59 AM
I have to wonder how long substances stay in the hair. Also if some of these Super Derby 'qualifiers' get disqualified and purse lept from previous race, what kind of legal action will follow.

good question and i dont know how long it stays in the hair. I think normal withdrawal time is 1-2 weeks out of the system

lamboguy
10-31-2014, 09:11 AM
the reason Dr. Aldred gives is he is suspicious that an unknown trainer has 80% of the horses in the field.

it sounds fishy, but just to give the benefit of the doubt. when horses train together, they often improve together when they are 2 year old's. its been happening for the 40 years that have been following racing. but and this is a big one, its almost impossible to keep that many horses going for so long without some of them having nagging pains and injury's. this trainer might have been treating them with magic potion to keep them going. also he could have been giving them all stuff to keep the horse's head's screwed on so that they focus better on their tasks.

good horses need good physical and mental skills to become champions.

thaskalos
10-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Why couldn't Mr Allred be the owner of a major thoroughbred track?

jballscalls
10-31-2014, 10:19 AM
I remember a QH race where a trainer supposedly had 4 of the 6 runners, but only 2 in his name. Well after the race in my walkie talkie I hear the clerk of scales say to the stewards "yeah Juan Sanguino wants to lodge a claim of foul on the 2 against the 1 at the 100 yard marker"

a short pause ensued and the stewards replied "Juan Sanguino doesn't train the 1 according to our program"

The Clerk of Scales says ok hold on......then about a 10 second pause and then he said the trainer of the horse wants to lodge an objection 2 against 1. I had to take a shower i felt so dirty announcing that and told the stewards it looked and sounded terrible.

Track Phantom
11-01-2014, 05:57 AM
Why couldn't Mr Allred be the owner of a major thoroughbred track?

Incredible comments by Dr. Allred. If more owners had his conviction and guts, they could actually move the needle on the cheating.

Here is what caught my attention.

Allred said he would rather close up shop than give up on his quest to have a clean sport.

“I will not go on this way,” he said. “We are going to stir up the nest. In the future we are going to make it very clear, in all of our stabling and entries: it will be clearly stated we have zero tolerance for clenbuterol and we are going to use hair technology. Anyone with a positive will be taken out of the race.

“Los Alamitos is very important to racing, with year-round Quarter horse racing and now with our Thoroughb red meetings,” Allred said. “I won’t have this. If someone gets a temporary restraining order or some BS, I’ll close.”