PDA

View Full Version : Free BC Edition of the Horseplayer Monthly

DeanT
10-29-2014, 06:50 PM
In The October/Breeders' Cup Issue:

http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanamonthly.html

We get you ready for the Breeders' Cup with a number of questions and answers with handicappers, and we discuss what we love most about the event. In addition, Lenny Moon gives you keys for turf sprints, Craig Milkowski of TimeformUS looks at Santa Anita post position stats, and we handicap the Classic in two minutes.

Also in this issue: Dan Zucker offers up a pair of columns - the Horizontal Horseplayer and how the Breeders' Cup is the Super Bowl of Horse Racing - Jerod Dinkin has the cynic's guide to the event, The Track Phantom compares Tonalist and his daddy, AP Indy, Art Parker says not to count out the Coach, and Ken Massa pays tribute to Mike Mayo.

Thanks for reading and sharing. And thanks to everyone who participated again this year.

letswastemoney
10-29-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm a bit surprised at the handicappers recommending show bets in that issue.

I only think it's a useful wager if there's a heavy show pool favorite like Close Hatches that may finish off the board.

DeanT
10-29-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm a bit surprised at the handicappers recommending show bets in that issue.

I only think it's a useful wager if there's a heavy show pool favorite like Close Hatches that may finish off the board.

The question about newbies? I think it makes some sense. Newbies like to cash tickets, and probably need to to stay interested in a two day event. It's sure not a value type bet tho, so I hear ya.

What would you tell a newbie to bet if it was their first Cup?

letswastemoney
10-29-2014, 08:12 PM
The question about newbies? I think it makes some sense. Newbies like to cash tickets, and probably need to to stay interested in a two day event. It's sure not a value type bet tho, so I hear ya.

What would you tell a newbie to bet if it was their first Cup?Some of them mentioned win bets and exacta boxes. Probably one of those.

With a 3 or 4 horse exacta box, they aren't relying on one horse, and because it's the Breeders' Cup it usually pays more than the cost if it hits.

Grits
10-29-2014, 08:26 PM
DeanT, with TFUS, Bris, and, now, your last 5 years of BC stats, which is outstanding work, thank you to all at Hana, and to your stats partner, HDW. This is a fine offering!

DeanT
10-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks Grits. Everyone in there does it for free (and HDW allows Jeff to use some of that), and we certainly appreciate it.

LWM,

My fave thing to do on big days for fun? A show parlay. I wonder what we'd be betting on the last BC race if it was ever alive. I expect it would be a lot of moola!

Tom
10-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Good job, guys.
Lots of good stuff.

Exotic1
10-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Dean T and Crew,

Thank you !!!

DeanT
10-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks for reading Exotic. And thanks for sharing it around. The airwaves come BC time get cluttered so we really appreciate that!

Good luck this weekend.

cj
10-30-2014, 02:34 PM
I have fun doing these, especially like this time when it isn't figure related. I learned something too. I definitely learned I should do these kind of post position studies on every track, some very telling data at Santa Anita.

alydar
10-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Great, as always very professional and super resource.

DeanT
10-30-2014, 03:46 PM
I have fun doing these, especially like this time when it isn't figure related. I learned something too. I definitely learned I should do these kind of post position studies on every track, some very telling data at Santa Anita.

Me too. Not playing SA I just dont grind any data. I love Upstart at a price, for example, but looking at the PP stats you have to temper the excitement.

KEE 8.5f races were great for that as well. Have to pay attention to so many things if you want to beat the rake.

PS: Thanks Alydar.