PDA

View Full Version : Great Article on Ayn Rand by Charles Murray

RunForTheRoses
10-29-2014, 05:42 AM
http://thefederalist.com/2014/10/16/ayn-rand-captured-the-magic-of-american-life/

Robert Goren
10-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Ayn Rand was a lot of things. But first and foremost she was an atheist. She spend a lot of her time in her later years promoting atheism. Her ideas reflect her belief that there is no God. Objectivism can not co-exist with the belief in an active god. She would have been the first to tell you that.

TJDave
10-29-2014, 01:52 PM
L. Ron Hubbard - Ayn Rand

Separated at birth

thaskalos
10-29-2014, 01:59 PM
I enjoyed reading her book, PHILOSOPHY: WHO NEEDS IT.

AndyC
10-29-2014, 02:25 PM
L. Ron Hubbard - Ayn Rand

Separated at birth

How so?

TJDave
10-29-2014, 02:47 PM
How so?

Both kooks extraordinaire.

Tom
10-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Or....two normal people being watched by a kook? ;)

hcap
10-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Both kooks extraordinaire.And both started cults.

RunForTheRoses
10-29-2014, 07:50 PM
And both started cults.

I knew you would like the article.

RunForTheRoses
10-29-2014, 07:55 PM
I enjoyed reading her book, PHILOSOPHY: WHO NEEDS IT.

I read a big chunk of that book if not cover to cover. She's very good in that she inculcates in the reader the sense that ideas matter. When I read it (and still) I did not have such a vast knowledge of Philosophy to ponder her contention that she only owes to Aristotle. I think I have to agree with Murray that that is pure bunk.

But still she does instill that inquisitiveness quality and for that she deserves credit.

hcap
10-29-2014, 08:03 PM
I knew you would like the article.I will wait for the movie. Who Is John Galt and Who Will Go to this Next Ayn Rand Dud?? :lol:

_______
10-29-2014, 09:11 PM
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year olds life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adult unable to deal with the real world. The other, or course, involves orcs."

-John Rogers

Clocker
10-29-2014, 09:25 PM
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year olds life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adult unable to deal with the real world. The other, or course, involves orcs."

-John Rogers

Who is John Rogers?

barn32
10-29-2014, 09:37 PM
"Happiness is a delusion of those whose emotions are superficial."

~Ayn Rand~

GaryG
10-29-2014, 09:41 PM

~Ayn Rand~Happiness is a warm gun - Lennon/McCartney

_______
10-29-2014, 09:42 PM
Who is John Rogers?

Screenwriter/Comedian.

Clocker
10-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Screenwriter/Comedian.

Who is John Rogers?

Tom
10-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Happiness is a warm gun - Lennon/McCartney

XQdwnTnl6w

_______
10-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Who is John Rogers?

:) . I'm a little slow.

reckless
10-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Ayn Rand was a lot of things. But first and foremost she was an atheist. She spend a lot of her time in her later years promoting atheism. Her ideas reflect her belief that there is no God. Objectivism can not co-exist with the belief in an active god. She would have been the first to tell you that.

~Ayn Rand~

Wow, good ol' Ayn Rand would have been a very welcomed edition to PA Off Topic General, for sure.

She would have regularly bitch-slapped all the left wing economic knuckleheads here, especially those who think raising taxes, raising the minimum wage and having open borders and unfetted immigration policies as being good for the economy. Not to mention what she'd do to the nitwits who support a top-down totalitarian government that takes away individual freedom and income on the false guise of providing health insurance.

Add to that her participation in the great Religious thread which would have been spectacular too, regardless of one's very own personal beliefs. While hard to believe, Ayn just might have easily doubled the amount of replies (15,107 at this writing) and views (going on 280,986) in the Religion thread all by her lonesome! :)

Robert Goren
10-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Wow, good ol' Ayn Rand would have been a very welcomed edition to PA Off Topic General, for sure.

She would have regularly bitch-slapped all the left wing economic knuckleheads here, especially those who think raising taxes, raising the minimum wage and having open borders and unfetted immigration policies as being good for the economy. Not to mention what she'd do to the nitwits who support a top-down totalitarian government that takes away individual freedom and income on the false guise of providing health insurance.

Add to that her participation in the great Religious thread which would have been spectacular too, regardless of one's very own personal beliefs. While hard to believe, Ayn just might have easily doubled the amount of replies (15,107 at this writing) and views (going on 280,986) in the Religion thread all by her lonesome! :) I am don't understand where you get the idea that she would have opposed open borders. As I read her(and it has been a while, I admit), she would likely opposed any effort by the government to close the borders or do about anything else. I could be wrong on that. I would be interested to hear your arguments on why she would want the government to close the borders.