PDA

View Full Version : Bris Prime Power-Scratch?

Flysofree
10-28-2014, 07:56 PM
When the top figure horse is scratched, does the 2nd horse automatically become the top rated horse in the Prime Power figs. (I know that may sound crazy, but many programs that I have used with data files, the 2nd horse does not always move to the top after a scratch of the top horse). I don't see anywhere Bris addreses this question on their website.. They just have comments for 3 points and 10points difference in the figures. Been awhile since I checked...

Does their Prime Power figure include pace. We discussed earlier that it does not include today's jockey, but I don't recall any mention of pace.

Thanks

JJMartin
10-28-2014, 08:05 PM
When the top figure horse is scratched, does the 2nd horse automatically become the top rated horse in the Prime Power figs.
I would say Yes because that power number is like an enhanced speed figure which would never change because another horse scratches.

Tom
10-28-2014, 08:24 PM
In the PP Generator, I scratched the #1 PP horse and no racing changed, but there wasn't a #1 anymore.

jk3521
10-28-2014, 08:26 PM
In the PP Generator, I scratched the #1 PP horse and no racing changed, but there wasn't a #1 anymore.
Wow ! ...really? :D

Robert Goren
10-28-2014, 10:36 PM
I don't think the prime power numbers change. I have horse entered on back to backs in similar races have the same number in both races. I think, but do not for sure, that the PP numbers are base solely on the past performances of the horse and do have anything to do with its competitors in the race.

therussmeister
10-29-2014, 12:33 AM
I believe Prime Power is based solely on the competition, and how it fared, in its most recent races. I don't know how many races are used for the calculation. Pace is not taken into account, nor is today's distance or surface.

Johnny V
10-29-2014, 07:13 AM
I believe Prime Power is based solely on the competition, and how it fared, in its most recent races. I don't know how many races are used for the calculation. Pace is not taken into account, nor is today's distance or surface.
Pace and distance are taken into account in the Prime Power number. This is what is stated on their website library.

Spiderman
10-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Prime Power # is an aggregate of all past performances. Power points are amassed by several factors - performance, running company, distance ran -which may be delineated in the Brisnet library. I do not give any weight to a prime power # in the handicapping process.

eqitec
10-29-2014, 09:20 AM
My observations have been that a horse's BRIS Prime Power Rating (PPR) changes from race to race. Since no one seems to know for sure what goes into the PPR, the rating wouldn't be any good if it didn't factor in how the horse performed in each of its previous races.

Here is a real example for Seldom Seem Slim running in today's 2nd at AQU:

Seldom Seem Slim's PPR today - 108.5
Seldom Seem Slim's last race PPR BEL, 10/11/14, Race #3 - 107.9

Since Seldom ran 5th out of 7, 17 lengths behind on 10/11, one would have to wonder why its PPR today is higher than it was on 10/11. The change must be due to all of the other factors that BRIS bakes in to the PPR.

Assuming that a horse's competition in any given race and all of the ensuing factors such as speed, pace, race shape, etc. that are affected by each horse, a scratch should change the PPRs of all other competitors. To see the dynamic effects of a scratch, one would have to have access to the BRIS computer used generate the PPRs or BRIS would have to re-publish post-scratch data files. To my knowledge no one has direct access to the BRIS computer and BRIS does not re-publish post scratch data files. Please correct me if I'm wrong on either fact.

Tom
10-29-2014, 09:32 AM
PP is in the single file data file, so if anyone has a DB, they could look at a horse over time and see where the rating goes.

JJMartin
10-29-2014, 10:42 AM
PP is in the single file data file, so if anyone has a DB, they could look at a horse over time and see where the rating goes.
The top figure has a high strike rate especially if you filter it through secondary factors. However the average pay out is too low. It is like the m/l fav on steroids. It may be useful as a key in exotics but I would never flat bet that thing.

duncan04
10-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Here is the Prime Power explanation from the library

Prime Power combines many factors into one potent figure. BRIS Speed, Class, Pace, form, weight, distance and more are all combined by a sophisticated computer algorithm into an incredible rating. Employing dozens of qualitative handicapping factors, Prime Power accurately measures the demonstrated quality of each horse's most recent starts and consolidates them into one composite rating.

See more here : http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=primepower

DRIVEWAY
10-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Ironically, Prime Power is useless in the Breeders Cup races. Will the top PP horses win more races than the lowest PP horses. Hint: all foreign only raced horses are zero in PP. There are 6 turf races.

Tom
10-29-2014, 01:37 PM
BRIS Class in BC races has been worth looking at.

DRIVEWAY
10-29-2014, 03:46 PM
In the 2014 BC, the top PP in the dirt races is the first/second choice in the morning line. In the Turf races the top PP tends to be misguided.

Expect three or four top PP to win with a negative ROI.

Some people have declared this to likely be their last BC and their final year playing the horses. For those people the races should be especially exciting and competitive.

Turf sprint at SA is dominated by experienced runners at SA's downhill course.

Foreign horses run big time in the other Turf races.

In the dirt races with 14 runners expect the unexpected.

Pay special attention to Cigar Street in the Classic. With all his injuries behind him, Mott has him primed for a top effort.

The BC is the day for (sub)Prime Power and lighting up the tote board.

whodoyoulike
10-29-2014, 09:53 PM
I don't think the prime power numbers change. I have horse entered on back to backs in similar races have the same number in both races. I think, but do not for sure, that the PP numbers are base solely on the past performances of the horse and do have anything to do with its competitors in the race.

Here is the Prime Power explanation from the library

Prime Power combines many factors into one potent figure. BRIS Speed, Class, Pace, form, weight, distance and more are all combined by a sophisticated computer algorithm into an incredible rating. Employing dozens of qualitative handicapping factors, Prime Power accurately measures the demonstrated quality of each horse's most recent starts and consolidates them into one composite rating.

See more here : http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=primepower

I'm looking at the Bris PP's for Exploring for July 27, 2014. One is for Sar Race 8 OC62500n2x 7f 3&up; (P3); wght 122; owner: Love Unlimited Thoroughbreds Llc; 8 entries; ACL 115.6. The other is for Mth Race 8 Teddy Drone Stk 6 f 3&up; (P3); wght 117; owner: Vargara Nicole; 11 entries; ACL 115.4. Exploring scratched at Mth and ran 4th at Sar.

The Prime Power for Exploring is 139.8 for both races. Maybe, the difference between 6f and 7f doesn't change the rating.