PDA

View Full Version : Any X box experts?

JustRalph
10-27-2014, 09:19 PM
A price cut is coming Nov 2nd and I'm considering an early Xmas present to myself.

Some of these games I'm watching commercials for are incredible.

I'm not averse to play station either.

I don't know crap about video games. Any suggestions much appreciated

headhawg
10-27-2014, 11:10 PM
You're talking about the latest generation, yes? (Xbox 1 vs. PS4?) I'm more of a PC gamer but the video gamers seem to be leaning toward the PS4 as a better console. You probably can't go wrong either way. Just check to see if there's a specific title that you need to have as some stuff is exclusive to one console or the other.

MJC922
10-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Wish I had first hand experience with the next gen consoles to share with you but we don't have one yet. Both of my kids have PS3's and then we have an xbox360 downstairs. Next gen is definitely on our radar though, possibly for Christmas, we'll have to see.

One nice thing about Sony for the PS3 was the PSN network was free, you'll probably want to do some research around that as you may need a PSN Plus or the XBOX live gold subscription with the next gen stuff and these are NOT free.

Good advice from headhawg, check out the titles, if there's one you really like check to see if it's exclusive to one console or the other, most are available on both. My kids were all about Little Big Planet 1 & 2 which was exclusive to Sony -- when version 3 comes out probably be exclusive to the PS4. Exclusives titles can definitely drive sales of the consoles.

Everyone has their own preferences for games, I personally enjoy the multiplayer stuff like World of Tanks which (at the moment) is only for xbox live gold members on the xbox360 or you can play it on a PC. Looking ahead to next gen games one on my radar is Evolve by Turtle Rock Studios, they seem to be taking their time to get that just right before release.

I've always found video gaming to be a nice compliment to gambling. With horses you need an awful lot of discipline, it takes weeks and months of not being reckless to come out ahead. I find that I still need to be able to let loose sometimes and that adrenaline rush which comes from things like playing sports or video gaming allows me to strike a pretty good balance.

Grits
11-10-2014, 04:07 PM
JR, I don't know anything about XBox, but do you remember DONKEY KONG?

Last night, my son and I played it for about 4 hours. We were in WalMart (I try not to go, I hate the place) anyway I saw it among the Wii games. So, I say to him, "you want mom to buy you Donkey Kong?" "Yes, m'am. That'd be good." Of course, I bought it. I've spoiled him all his life....still he's dear. :)

We got home and, honestly, he beat me in the ground!! Then, he beat me in the ground again, at Wii Bowling. :lol:

I'm not much of a gamer. I don't see myself doing the violent ones. ROTFL

JustRalph
11-10-2014, 05:04 PM
JR, I don't know anything about XBox, but do you remember DONKEY KONG?

Last night, my son and I played it for about 4 hours. We were in WalMart (I try not to go, I hate the place) anyway I saw it among the Wii games. So, I say to him, "you want mom to buy you Donkey Kong?" "Yes, m'am. That'd be good." Of course, I bought it. I've spoiled him all his life....still he's dear. :)

We got home and, honestly, he beat me in the ground!! Then, he beat me in the ground again, at Wii Bowling. :lol:

I'm not much of a gamer. I don't see myself doing the violent ones. ROTFL

Thats sounds like a great night! For family stuff, the Wii is awesome. We always play at Xmas. Tennis and Baseball. I'm still shopping.......waiting for those Xmas specials to hit........... :ThmbUp:

ldiatone
11-10-2014, 08:07 PM
get ready... i have xbox 30 and started to play "Avatar" "halo" and "final fantasy 14".... good luck..i got through 1 screen of avatar and said WOW. have not played that game since.. opened "halo"....first time i fired the gun i thought my hand was going to fall off with the game vibration in the hand controls. now i did play "tomb raider" (love laura) 1 2 3 and had fun, but these games are...WOW. now i use the x box to watch movies and DVD's :blush:
ps i played those TR games on a pc with no hand controls....