PDA

View Full Version : What's this enter password about?

reckless
10-23-2014, 04:41 PM
As of today, I am getting a pop-up in the lower trey that has a flag with an 'x'.

Upon clicking this icon a pop-up says there's an important message and that message is that I need to enter my most recent password.

I originally set up this computer just three weeks old when I bought this computer brand new. There is a log-in to start, being my email address as the log-in.

Could this be a scam to get my passwords?

Thanks for your help.

johnhannibalsmith
10-23-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm not a computer guy and don't know your specifics, but since you said it was a new computer - thought this Win8 tidbit might be applicable.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/click-here-to-enter-your-most-recent-password/50838de8-a033-4e00-a38b-aee6e2464f76

reckless
10-23-2014, 05:59 PM
I'm not a computer guy and don't know your specifics, but since you said it was a new computer - thought this Win8 tidbit might be applicable.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/click-here-to-enter-your-most-recent-password/50838de8-a033-4e00-a38b-aee6e2464f76

Thank you very much for the link.

This didn't happened for the first 3-4 weeks since I bought this desktop computer, until today. On my old laptop, with Win Vista, the changing password dialog box that popped up every 3-4 weeks has basically prevented me from getting into Hotmail. They want a mobile phone number so they could verify me, all for my protection, of course. :lol: :lol:

I plan on killing Vista and installing a linux distro. Same for my Win XP desktop.

I just didn't think I would have similar problems w/my new 8.1 machine this soon.

Thanks again for your help, john.

MJC922
10-23-2014, 06:44 PM
I can't imagine using Hotmail accounts to log on to windows. The last time I had to deal with Hotmail was about a month ago when trying to configure child accounts for my kids on the xbox 360 live gold, which you can't do by the way, you have to buy separate gold accounts for everyone on the same console or you share one account period, which we're doing.

I went through the same BS as it sounds like you have, they want to send you text messages on cel phone to confirm your identity and all of that nonsense. So when setting up windows on new desktops and laptops I would strongly recommend always choosing windows local accounts first. You can then actually use your computer the way you expect to and deal with Hotmail access or the windows app store later.