PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the Union for killing the jobs!!

JustRalph
10-23-2014, 04:29 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/23/union-demands-send-japanese-firm-jobs-packing-from-california-town/?cmpid=cmty_twitter_fn

Palmdale gets the short end ......

Clocker
10-23-2014, 04:37 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/23/union-demands-send-japanese-firm-jobs-packing-from-california-town/?cmpid=cmty_twitter_fn

But the union gets the moral victory. :p

HUSKER55
10-23-2014, 06:04 PM
ya know, a great spot to build that plant would be Baja.

Robert Goren
10-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Strange how companies that say they treat their employees right want no part of a union. What are they scared of? I smell a rat when ever they say that. Of course this company with aid of some local officials (paid off?) was trying to a an end run around the law. Nothing but a bunch of crooks. They got caught in the act and left with their tail between their legs. If they were legit, they would have went to Texas instead of trying to pull a fast in California.

_______
10-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Strange how companies that say they treat their employees right want no part of a union. What are they scared of? I smell a rat when ever they say that. Of course this company with aid of some local officials (paid off?) was trying to a an end run around the law. Nothing but a bunch of crooks. They got caught in the act and left with their tail between their legs. If they were legit, they would have went to Texas instead of trying to pull a fast in California.

Robert-

My dad was a union carpenter and I only have the life I do thanks to the middle class living his blue collar union job provided. I had a good education in public schools which, by the time I was in junior high, were unionized. I hate when people feel they have to provide a resume before responding but I'd like what I'm going to say to have some context.

The company was not doing an end run around the law. They could have agreed to waive an election but are not legally required to. The union that backed the environmental challenge rolled the dice that they could force the company to change their position. They lost.

It doesn't make the union bad. And it doesn't make the company good. It certainly doesn't imply corrupt dealings by any public official. There are still guaranteed jobs in Palmdale as required by the contract with the MTA. Thee just won't be the additional jobs there could have been.

The right will make this a poster case for anti-union agitation. And they are probably right to do so. It's hard to make a argument that anyone in California is better off because of this.

You can be in favor of unions and still acknowledge this was a cluster f.

Tom
10-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Strange how companies that say they treat their employees right want no part of a union. What are they scared of?

Seriously?

davew
10-23-2014, 09:27 PM

Palmdale lost the jobs, but they will go somewhere else

and they will all live a fuller life in Palmdale without the spores and environmental issues the factory would have created.

Clocker
10-23-2014, 09:42 PM
and they will all live a fuller life in Palmdale without the spores and environmental issues the factory would have created.

And the residents will have plenty of leisure time to enjoy the pollution-free environment and to pursue their passions, becoming photographers or poets, unrestrained by job-lock.

Tom
10-23-2014, 10:02 PM
It is not nice to call union people spores.

Robert Fischer
10-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Seems like a big problem with unions is that they are themselves corporations.

It's just how the system works.

It's like one of these "leaders" who pops up to help poor, or help minorities. Invariably they are scumbags, crooks and thugs.

Where have you gone Martin Luther King Jr.
A nation turns it's lonely eyes to you.
If King was a scumbag, crook or thug, at least it wasn't blatantly obvious.

It's a harsh system.

When we look at the conglomerates, they are using every bit of leverage that they have in intelligent ways, against the general public, in order to drive down the cost of labor.

Obviously the general public has much to gain, if they do the same thing and use what leverage that they happen to have to increase the cost of labor.

It would be nice however if the workers could work together to leverage their position and increase the cost of labor without resorting to scumbags, crooks and thugs.

Maybe it's just how the system works? Is this really the best we can do?