PDA

View Full Version : Dwyre column

Cholly
10-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Horse racing as seen by a mainstream sports writer:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dwyre-20141021-column.html

"The O'Neill case is just another example of why Lakers exhibition games can make the sports front page and horse racing doesn't." Ouch!

thaskalos
10-21-2014, 04:35 PM
It's us HORSEPLAYERS who should be admitted to the Betty Ford Clinic upon retirement. We are more addicted than ANY horse...

Track Phantom
10-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Well written article with common sense questions. I've always laughed when people would try to defend trainers by going through the recipe of drugs to determine they aren't performance enhancing. If I have to go back and take (and pass) Chemistry to find an edge in horse racing, it's time to move on.

I'm not one that likes to just throw out problems without a solution. That's too easy. I know the solutions must be difficult. But the problems are so blatantly obvious and I don't have a solution. Tough spot to be in for everyone involved....including O'Neill, who is only trying to survive as I'm certain if he were to race cleanly, he would go the way of Jack Van Berg. (I think he was 0 for 20 with 0 in the money after the penalties were announced. Coincidence? Right).

DeltaLover
10-21-2014, 05:53 PM
It's us HORSEPLAYERS who should be admitted to the Betty Ford Clinic upon retirement. We are more addicted than ANY horse...
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Best post of the month Thask!

Redboard
10-22-2014, 12:57 PM
A shame. I know that the term “mainstream media” doesn’t mean what it used to but the BC is in LA so you would think that the local media would have articles about the upcoming BC races, such as interviewing the trainers, Jockeys, owners, etc.
One of the rationales for holding the BC in SA was because they thought that it would bring out the Hollywood stars and get publicity that way. Bo Derek , who is down to a 1.5 now, is about it.

elhelmete
10-22-2014, 01:18 PM
I dunno, we're supposed to spit roast Doug and yet numbers are still rock solid for the NFL and its cast of felons? We horseplayers aren't the only sheep who should head to Betty Ford.

elhelmete
10-22-2014, 01:20 PM
A shame. I know that the term “mainstream media” doesn’t mean what it used to but the BC is in LA so you would think that the local media would have articles about the upcoming BC races, such as interviewing the trainers, Jockeys, owners, etc.
One of the rationales for holding the BC in SA was because they thought that it would bring out the Hollywood stars and get publicity that way. Bo Derek , who is down to a 1.5 now, is about it.

I've been twice (2009, 2012), this is wrong.

We were surrounded by a healthy number of celebs.

Robert Goren
10-22-2014, 02:20 PM
It's us HORSEPLAYERS who should be admitted to the Betty Ford Clinic upon retirement. We are more addicted than ANY horse...Cute! but not true. While plenty of HORSEPLAYERS are addicted, but all race horse are.