PDA

View Full Version : Somewhere Fancy

The Inside Scoop
10-19-2014, 12:08 AM
What a horror show of a drive from Waples on Somewhere Fancy in the 5th at Woodbine. If you can drive one any worse than that I would love to see it.

Last start he buries him and explodes late up the middle to just miss, all the while being tons the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nD8aaeglpk&list=UU0RagnaQvFUM5BJUCIxWKow

This week he is in against a bunch of slugs and he floats him out and sits 4th. Anyone would certainly think he pulls the right line at the very least when he was sitting 4th after how good he was last week. Nope, he sits in, gets buried behind one who walks in front of him, squeezes out around the last turn where he is back about 10 lengths. He then paces a ton finishing and ends up 4th.:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: trying to go up the middle when the whole track on the outside is free. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

If you ever wonder why the grandstands are empty just watch the replay to see a horse who was at least 5 lengths the best at 2-1 get beat. It doesnt get any worse than that. :bang: :bang: :bang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOw4C2Uh-mo&list=UU0RagnaQvFUM5BJUCIxWKow

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

zico20
10-19-2014, 09:31 AM
What a horror show of a drive from Waples on Somewhere Fancy in the 5th at Woodbine. If you can drive one any worse than that I would love to see it.

Last start he buries him and explodes late up the middle to just miss, all the while being tons the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nD8aaeglpk&list=UU0RagnaQvFUM5BJUCIxWKow

This week he is in against a bunch of slugs and he floats him out and sits 4th. Anyone would certainly think he pulls the right line at the very least when he was sitting 4th after how good he was last week. Nope, he sits in, gets buried behind one who walks in front of him, squeezes out around the last turn where he is back about 10 lengths. He then paces a ton finishing and ends up 4th.:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: trying to go up the middle when the whole track on the outside is free. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

If you ever wonder why the grandstands are empty just watch the replay to see a horse who was at least 5 lengths the best at 2-1 get beat. It doesnt get any worse than that. :bang: :bang: :bang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOw4C2Uh-mo&list=UU0RagnaQvFUM5BJUCIxWKow

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Did you ever think it was the perfect drive and he finished just where he wanted to. That is the problem with racing, the possible occasional dump job. Not saying it was, that was a horrible drive. Much the best horse.

mrroyboy
10-19-2014, 12:53 PM
There is some truth to this. Not trying to bash drivers but they are supposed to be professional. They need to act like it.

Sea Biscuit
10-19-2014, 12:54 PM
There are many ways you can driver a harness horse. Some drivers like to go hung ho for the lead and control the pace and some like to come from behind. Randy Waples sometimes likes to save ground and try to thread the needle very late in the mile. Case in point:

Oct 16 Woodbine Race 10

Randy drove Dancehall Mistress exactly same way as he drove Somewhere Fancy. He won with Dancehall at 13-1 by a nostril and lost with SF by 3/4 of a length. With DM I never thought he would be able to extricate himself out of the traffic jam in front of him and incredibly he did.

Watch this replay video where he won with Dancehall Mistress.

http://bcove.me/xmj8bscf

Video replay of of Somewhere Fancy

http://bcove.me/pyjsl5mv

You win some and you lose some. Hopefully your winners keep you ahead of the losers.

No need to get your feathers ruffled over one gambling loss.

Sea Biscuit
10-19-2014, 01:37 PM
I might add here in all fairness that 2 horses (#5 & #8) in the race also encountered poor racing luck as they were stuck behind a dead horse #10 Always There driven by Yannick Gingras which created a big gap between them and the leaders.

Both these horses #8 High Flier and #5 Somewhere Fancy go up in my VS stable.

The Inside Scoop
10-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Did you ever think it was the perfect drive and he finished just where he wanted to. That is the problem with racing, the possible occasional dump job. Not saying it was, that was a horrible drive. Much the best horse.

He wouldn't be the first driver to try and keep one in the same class. This horse at the beginning of the year was highly thought of and they apparently turned down a huge offer from Burke from what I was told. I can guarante you they wish they took the supposed offer, I can tell you that much. He will win in that class he's in and will be 3/5 when he does which won't do anyone any good, who bet him at 2-1 yesterday.

zico20
10-19-2014, 10:11 PM
He wouldn't be the first driver to try and keep one in the same class. This horse at the beginning of the year was highly thought of and they apparently turned down a huge offer from Burke from what I was told. I can guarante you they wish they took the supposed offer, I can tell you that much. He will win in that class he's in and will be 3/5 when he does which won't do anyone any good, who bet him at 2-1 yesterday.

I can tell you for a fact that Tom Tetrick, Tims father, when he was driving at Fairmount 30 years ago, purposely ran for 2nd 100s of times to keep the horse in the same class. Everyone who was a regular at the track knew it. And he didn't hide the fact that he was driving for 2nd. It was blatantly obvious, and I had a buddy on numerous ocassions who told me when he wasn't trying to win. We made a ton of money when he was on the best horse playing against him for the win.

MutuelClerk
10-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Thanks Scoop, the perfect example of why I only bet harness in summer stake races and Grand Circuit in the fall. I can't hit the overnight races, especially the condition races where owners, trainers, drivers, often have no incentive to win. Those two trips were brutal.

Sea Biscuit
10-21-2014, 03:32 AM
There are many ways you can driver a harness horse. Some drivers like to go hung ho for the lead and control the pace and some like to come from behind. Randy Waples sometimes likes to save ground and try to thread the needle very late in the mile. Case in point:

Oct 16 Woodbine Race 10

Randy drove Dancehall Mistress exactly same way as he drove Somewhere Fancy. He won with Dancehall at 13-1 by a nostril and lost with SF by 3/4 of a length. With DM I never thought he would be able to extricate himself out of the traffic jam in front of him and incredibly he did.

Watch this replay video where he won with Dancehall Mistress.

http://bcove.me/xmj8bscf

Video replay of of Somewhere Fancy

http://bcove.me/pyjsl5mv

You win some and you lose some. Hopefully your winners keep you ahead of the losers.

No need to get your feathers ruffled over one gambling loss.

Oct 20 Race 2 Woodbine

Here is another one of Randy Waple's save ground and thread the needle late in the mile wins with #4 Rave On

http://www.woodbineentertainment.com/Woodbine/Video/Pages/StandardbredVideos.aspx?bcpid=90870914001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAADkqtiUk~,dxTzKbxPUTuMmLHagEvNhvQ73V j4gcbk&bclid=84711328001&bctid=3849979455001

Sea Biscuit
10-21-2014, 08:05 AM
owners, trainers, drivers, often have no incentive to win.

No incentive?? I always thought owners, trainers and drivers make their money by winning races and not by losing them.

Sinner369
10-21-2014, 09:29 AM
To be fair........it was still early (at the 1/2M pole) for the horse to be pulling; their could be many reasons why the driver did not pull.....the horse does not like to be first over; he has a short 1/4 mile brush; the driver was under instructions' to wait; the driver's judgement was faulty........etc.

That is why people do not like harness racing they figure they got robbed.

Thoroughbreds do the same thing but it is not as obvious to the human eye because they are going at a much faster pace and people would not be able to see such incidences!

MutuelClerk
10-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Sea Biscuit, I like the way you left out condition races when quoting me. You'd be good in all these political commercials. Claiming, stake racing, sire stakes, I agree it is about winning. Condition races that's not always the case. Horses at these levels can make more money often not winning and just filling the condition. If you disagree, that's fine.

The Inside Scoop
10-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks Scoop, the perfect example of why I only bet harness in summer stake races and Grand Circuit in the fall. I can't hit the overnight races, especially the condition races where owners, trainers, drivers, often have no incentive to win. Those two trips were brutal.

Games are played in the condition classes each night, especially the maidens and non winners of 2 and 3 classes. As a handicapper you have to take into consideration whether you believe the connections want out of the class. You need to keep a calculator handy as well. :rolleyes:

A great example at WEG of someone who has played the class games for years is Joe Hudon. He likely has chased more bettors from the track then anyone in the history of Ontario racing. Another used to be Donnie Rankin Jr. when Windsor was open. Some of his non drives should have been in the hall of shame. Ever wonder why Windsor closed? How those guys got away with what they got away with, was beyond belief. Hudon is still doing it today.

mrroyboy
10-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Very well said. As informed handicappers we need to take trainers intentions seriously. Of course all horses can't go all out to win every race. It's all part of the game.
Drivers also make good decisions and bad decisions. I am just saying we need to take all of it in stride or we will wind up in a mental institution. :D

Faceless Enemy
10-21-2014, 12:53 PM
For a horse that should have been tons the best, he should have pulled ahead of Aramblin Hanover and crushed the field. The opportunity was there. And a stone cold closer type is always risky at 2-1 and this race proved that yet again.

Racey
10-21-2014, 07:33 PM
looking for better than 2-1...maybe he goes up a notch next week and wins at a price......2 brutal drives never tried...crook. entered Sat night 12th race 7 hole. High flier out of the 9 hole...

Sea Biscuit
10-22-2014, 10:26 AM
looking for better than 2-1...maybe he goes up a notch next week and wins at a price......2 brutal drives never tried...crook. entered Sat night 12th race 7 hole. High flier out of the 9 hole...

I wouldn't call him a crook.

If you look at the replay video you will find he alongwith High Flier encountered poor racing luck by getting stuck behind a 46-1 shot driven by Gingras otherwise the result might have been quite different.

Ground saving trips are part of horse racing as far as anyone can remember. Who can forget Calvin Borel's ground saving trip on Mine That Bird in the 2009 Kentucky Derby. Some Jockeys/drivers excel in it some don't. Randy Waples I believe excels in it.

I have already given out two video links in this very thread which proves just that.

mrroyboy
10-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Guys (and girls) we can't let these things get to us. It f u cs up our handicapping. Not saying anyone is wrong, just have to live with it.

Sea Biscuit
10-24-2014, 04:01 AM
I wouldn't call him a crook.

If you look at the replay video you will find he alongwith High Flier encountered poor racing luck by getting stuck behind a 46-1 shot driven by Gingras otherwise the result might have been quite different.

Ground saving trips are part of horse racing as far as anyone can remember. Who can forget Calvin Borel's ground saving trip on Mine That Bird in the 2009 Kentucky Derby. Some Jockeys/drivers excel in it some don't. Randy Waples I believe excels in it.

I have already given out two video links in this very thread which proves just that.

Oct 23 Woodbine Race 7

Another one of those 'hug the rail and win' drives by Randy Waples with #7 Reflection Hanover at 5.90-1

http://bcove.me/hhaff9f2

What a driver!!!

Sinner369
10-24-2014, 10:59 AM
From years of playing (betting) especially on 1/2 M and Five furlong tracks...the 3rd hole after the start is the worst position in harness racing.......because you have to be 1st over or be trapped forever.

In this case Waples got lucky and was able to find a seam to win at the very end.

Sea Biscuit
10-24-2014, 01:08 PM
From years of playing (betting) especially on 1/2 M and Five furlong tracks...the 3rd hole after the start is the worst position in harness racing.......because you have to be 1st over or be trapped forever.

In this case Waples got lucky and was able to find a seam to win at the very end.

Woodbine is a 7/8 mile track. Waples must be the 'luckiest' driver in the world. Never underestimate the power of a ground saving trip.

I have already given out three links to 3 recent races where he won in similar fashion.

More to come.:jump:

The Inside Scoop
10-25-2014, 11:46 PM
Crushed tonight

Blasted from gait, (like he did earlier in the year at Philly, so the gait speed was always there when they wanted to use it) went to front, then sat the 2 hole, popped out turning for home and won by a mile. Was there ever a doubt this horse would win tonight. 9/5 was an incredible price on him. Shocking they made Jamiesons horse the favourite in there over him, but I am not complaining.

MutuelClerk
10-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Nice hit, good call Scoop. did okay myself. Thanks.

The Inside Scoop
10-26-2014, 12:10 AM
Glad you did ok on him. Good stuff.

Sea Biscuit
10-26-2014, 05:04 AM
Sea Biscuit, I like the way you left out condition races when quoting me. You'd be good in all these political commercials. Claiming, stake racing, sire stakes, I agree it is about winning. Condition races that's not always the case. Horses at these levels can make more money often not winning and just filling the condition. If you disagree, that's fine.

Well Mr Mutel Clerk Somewhere Fancy won this week.

Care to make a comment about that.

Sea Biscuit
10-26-2014, 05:20 AM

Crushed tonight

Blasted from gait, (like he did earlier in the year at Philly, so the gait speed was always there when they wanted to use it) went to front, then sat the 2 hole, popped out turning for home and won by a mile. Was there ever a doubt this horse would win tonight. 9/5 was an incredible price on him. Shocking they made Jamiesons horse the favourite in there over him, but I am not complaining.

What a difference a week makes.

Last week Waples was a crook who don't win and likes to keep the horses in the same class.

Last week drives like Waple's keep the grandstands empty.

Last week you were wondering who bet him at 2-1 and this week 9/5 was an incredible price.

Last week the owners of the horse should have accepted Burke's offer. I wonder what you have to say about that this week.