PDA

View Full Version : video cards

HUSKER55
10-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Lately I have noticed that music videos skips every once in a while and sometimes my screen flickers and if you want to watch a tv program or anything else the picture sort of fades, for lack of a better term.

Mary's grand daughter came over the other day and said that my picture on my monitor look great when nothing is moving but changes when you start to do something.

Her thinking was that I have the wrong video card. I have a radeon hd6570, 64 bit 1 gig

She said my band with was way too low and should be 128 bit minimum and I needed 2 gigs of memory and then she went on and I got lost.

I am going to start doing some research but I was wondering which ones you guys and gals use and if you are happy with it. Also, what should I be looking for.

I always thought streaming video was streaming video and there was nothing you could do. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

MJC922
10-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Lately I have noticed that music videos skips every once in a while and sometimes my screen flickers and if you want to watch a tv program or anything else the picture sort of fades, for lack of a better term.

Mary's grand daughter came over the other day and said that my picture on my monitor look great when nothing is moving but changes when you start to do something.

Her thinking was that I have the wrong video card. I have a radeon hd6570, 64 bit 1 gig

She said my band with was way too low and should be 128 bit minimum and I needed 2 gigs of memory and then she went on and I got lost.

I am going to start doing some research but I was wondering which ones you guys and gals use and if you are happy with it. Also, what should I be looking for.

I always thought streaming video was streaming video and there was nothing you could do. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Hard to say without seeing the issue first hand but the specs of the card you have should be fine. The difference between a 1GB video card and a 2GB video card is not apt to be important for streaming one thing. If you were streaming many things concurrently then it might. Streaming is mostly impacted by bandwidth issues, that is, the wireless connection between your router and your device or upstream internet bandwidth issues from your ISP. If you're directly-connected with the machine to your router then the potential wireless issue would be out of the picture. That's the best way to go. There is an outside chance the video card could be starting to fail. These things do happen from time to time due to dust, heat etc. There was a time when video cards made all the difference but Intel's on-board graphics are better than they once were so unless you're doing heavy gaming then a card isn't really necessary for most people. The 'fading out' is again most likely bandwidth issues. If you're wireless and there's congestion on the network there are times when the resolution of the image might be stepping down to keep the video playing smoothly and then back up when it gets better. Depending upon what app you're viewing the stream with some have settings to prevent this down-stepping however then you're looking at intermittent freezing and buffering of the video etc.

JustRalph
10-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Make sure internet bandwidth is not the real problem

HUSKER55
10-19-2014, 10:32 AM
thanks guys!