PDA

View Full Version : I forgot how brutal the post time delays are at Delta

Milkshaker
10-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Love this joint but forgot how brutal they are with keeping anything close to post times matching off times.

10/16: Horse scratched at the gate race #8...appears to require no vet or ambulance attention, yet the race is delayed 12 minutes. To process a rush of refunds on a 30-1 shot? Then as they're re-loading, after all that time to ponder it, one jock decides he needs a saddle reset.

9th race now and they have been circling near the gate with 0 MTP for 6 minutes now. No reason. Nothing amiss. Probably trying to recoup some betting $$$ because they didn't hit the track until 5 MTP.

I'm trying to get crap done while making time to watch/bet your races. At least make an attempt to stick to scheduled post times.

What's the over/under date for the first cancellation due to a lighting failure this year?

Mineshaft
10-16-2014, 11:49 PM
Nov 20th is the date on the O/U for cancellation due to lighting.

And it will happen more than once.

cutchemist42
10-17-2014, 12:24 AM
Yeah noticed that tonight, I feel like GP has this problem sometimes too.

SandyW
10-17-2014, 12:29 AM
The track is owned by The Boyd Group, as long as the slots are humming along racing is a secondary priority.

Maximillion
10-17-2014, 01:29 AM
The track is owned by The Boyd Group, as long as the slots are humming along racing is a secondary priority.

I dont know enough about Boyd to really dispute you,but they seemed to have done a decent job with this track.
For me....this is the Saratoga of dirt claiming races.

CosmicWon
10-17-2014, 02:54 AM
Me too. Love Delta.

Fun track with plenty of bombs to spice up otherwise formful racecards. Not too difficult to learn the ones who are almost always live.

Nice paddock on simo feed allows pretty good view of how well they're warming up. Best of all is the vast, affordable wagering menu :)

Twinspires running a 10% bonus on all DDs this week at Delta.

therussmeister
10-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Yeah noticed that tonight, I feel like GP has this problem sometimes too.
The only tracks I play regularly that stick to the schedule are the NYRA tracks. Back when GP had a huge rainbow six carryover they would delay the first race of the rainbow by about five minutes, now they seem to delay it every day.

TravisVOX
10-17-2014, 12:31 PM

What do you base this statement on?

cutchemist42
10-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Me too. Love Delta.

Fun track with plenty of bombs to spice up otherwise formful racecards. Not too difficult to learn the ones who are almost always live.

Nice paddock on simo feed allows pretty good view of how well they're warming up. Best of all is the vast, affordable wagering menu :)

Twinspires running a 10% bonus on all DDs this week at Delta.

Any tips for the bombs?

Milkshaker
10-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Any tips for the bombs?

Avoid the Broberg (supertrainer) races entirely and concentrate on the races in which the fave is a low % trainer--then bet any remaining 15% (and up) trainers blindly in that same race without being swayed by the form of the horse.

CosmicWon
10-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Agree on the Broberg advice. His barn always get overbet and are tough to read--seem just as likely to win off like Pegasus II at 3/5 as the are to finish a desultory 5th. Same with the Amoss runners down there.

If you're into chalk, Bret Calhoun is usually solid with maidens and the Meloncon-squared combo (or anything ridden by G-Money Meloncon) is typically legit. Buzzer Billy Patin and Scott Gelner get along well when they team up as do Keith Bourgeois and Emanuel Nieves.

A key to making money there isn't so much finding 15-1 winners as it is using the 4-1s who defeat the 3/5s in a few legs of the multis. Additionally when the results are chalky for a few races I can almost guarantee a $30 horse will win sooner rather than later. I can't say that's necessarily a trend but it happens frequently enough that it's appreciable to me without even digging--that's what I meant by knowing when the bomb is going to come. Even if you don't know who the longshot horse is per se, you do know that he's winning pretty soon.

In terms of finding prices sometimes you have to use your imagination in these $10k MCL with 24 time losers. I use a lot of Sheets-type figures and paying attention to form cycles can be lucrative. (I use the term "form" loosely with the slow ones). That's probably my best advice for overlays down there--look for positive condition moves even if their prior figures seem a touch uncompetitive.

Also I tend to look for horses that have muddied form (because for instance they raced all summer at EVD with little success) but have shown prior affinity for DED and are returning to that surface today. That type of basic surface switch handicapping can also lead to bad favorites who showed ability on the turf at FG or EVD but now are relegated back to the main at Delta.

One last thing I've noticed anecdotally but haven't at all verified is the odd early money that seems almost too deliberately heavy on fringe contenders and lacking on the 9/5 ML shots. Like someone is trying to throw other bettors off the scent of legitimate horses until about 3MTP when the money starts to roll back in. Seemingly happens all the time down there but maybe I'm mistaken.

I'm not always convinced everything is on the up-and-up at Delta, but I find it for the most part to be pretty formful if you put in a little effort. It's also strong on patterns perhaps because there are only so many barns down there and trainers repeat what's successful.

Start playing a few $.50 P3s on its weekday cards and in no time at all you'll begin to pick up on the winning patterns and making money. Some people call playing Delta degeneracy, but I just call it an inexpensive good time.

Milkshaker
10-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Useful long-form post by Cosmic. Thanks.

I would also add...

Although I have been getting away from trip handicapping in recent years (in favor of trainer patterns), Delta generates some lucrative opprotunities for replay watchers.

It's the combo of full fields, a 6f track, marginal jocks and chartcallers who (in my opinion) just don't seem to see the obvious, important things in a race (or maybe they do see them but don't report them it a chart).

I have seen major trip trouble reported as something like "no rally" or "bid, faded." How could you not see that horse get bounced off the inner rail or be 6 wide on both turns?

Not just every now and then, but nightly.

raybo
10-18-2014, 03:12 AM
I love DeD! But, if you don't know this track, and its gamblers, beware!! Those high average payouts look great, but getting enough of those longshots to be profitable is not something you get unless you've been playing there for a while. I'm not saying some of the races are fixed, but ...............! Just ask anyone who has been betting there since they were 5. :lol:

098poi
10-18-2014, 08:17 AM
I love DeD! But, if you don't know this track, and its gamblers, beware!! Those high average payouts look great, but getting enough of those longshots to be profitable is not something you get unless you've been playing there for a while. I'm not saying some of the races are fixed, but ...............! Just ask anyone who has been betting there since they were 5. :lol:

I'm not saying you look like you put on weight, I'm just saying. :D

jk3521
10-18-2014, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=CosmicWon]Agree on the Broberg advice. His barn always get overbet and are tough to read--seem just as likely to win off like Pegasus II at 3/5 as the are to finish a desultory 5th. Same with the Amoss runners down there.=[QUOTE]

Always skip races where Amoss horses are entered at any track, but how do you avoid races with Broberg runners? 11 races and 8 of them with his horses and then he wins 5 of them. JEEEZZ ! :D , :bang:, :confused: , :mad: , :faint:

AND they all look great in the paddock and on the track.

CosmicWon
10-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Bret Calhoun gets another maiden winner down there in R3 tonight. Shipper was a homebred for his new owners Stonestreet and sired by its stallion Kantharos who was dropping from open MSW at Indiana to restricted LAhhh breds at The Delta. Won by a length as 7/2 3rd choice and paid $9.80.

It's easy. Just start to remember what moves win for who and you'll soon be ahead of most with minimal handicapping. That's my silly method, but it has brought me success there. Do whatever works for you to get involved because the racing really is quite fun, lucrative and entertaining :cool: