PDA

View Full Version : trust your doctor?

lamboguy
10-16-2014, 08:17 PM
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/10/seven_charged_in_medical_kickback_scheme_in_centra l_north_jersey.html#incart_story_package

Dave Schwartz
10-16-2014, 09:32 PM
This is business as usual AFAIK.

I am sure it is not a coincidence when my doctor refers me to a particular lab for blood work or a particular procedure.

PaceAdvantage
10-18-2014, 01:57 PM
Based on my parents' experience with doctors over the last few years...I would paraphrase Reagan...trust, BUT ALWAYS verify...never put all of your trust in doctors...they are human and VERY fallible, just as we all are.

And they make mistakes. And they have gross errors in judgement.

Where loved ones are concerned, I am now totally convinced that doctors and their supporting staff (especially) are to be watched like hawks, and questioned endlessly.

judd
10-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Golf with a dentist(who is a doctor) and he does not believe in doctors at all-- he does not go to doctors and doesn't believe in medication---repeat he is a Dentist!

PhantomOnTour
10-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Sad story from Cajunland:

We, like many cities, have a large number of doctors who are from India. They naturally have a tight knit community.
A few years back one member of this tight knit community blew the whistle on another who was doing exactly what was described in the OP.

The latter is currently in jail and the former has been ostracized from the tight knit community he used to be a part of.
Shame - he did a good thing, the right thing, and now has been basically kicked out of his circle of friends.

badcompany
10-18-2014, 02:10 PM
I'll trust that, in the area of health and nutrition, I'll know more than my doctor.

Tom
10-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Mafia, AMA.....
Mafia, AMA.....
Mafia, AMA.....

johnhannibalsmith
10-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Golf with a dentist(who is a doctor) and he does not believe in doctors at all-- he does not go to doctors and doesn't believe in medication---repeat he is a Dentist!

My kind of guy.

DRIVEWAY
10-19-2014, 12:14 AM
You must trust the medical professionals that you are dealing with. Best practices, diagnostics and treatments change quickly in todays computer, laser, robotic based society. Has you Doctor kept current?

http://www.healthgrades.com/
Search for independent evaluation of Doctor and/or Hospital.

Seek second opinions from teaching hospital Doctors unaffiliated with source of first opinion. In serious matters a second opinion is mandatory.

Research online current state of the art information concerning condition at hand. John Hopkins University Hospital publishes significant guidelines about the latest and greatest in treatment options.

Once you've researched and acquired a second opinion, you'll need a plan to decide on treatment etc. Finding that ultimate third opinion or accepting the guidance of Opinion 1 or Opinion 2 is your responsibility.

thaskalos
10-19-2014, 12:58 AM
Putting your trust in doctors is dangerous to your health.

thaskalos
10-19-2014, 01:02 AM
I'll trust that, in the area of health and nutrition, I'll know more than my doctor.

No doubt. These doctors have some gall claiming to be in the "health and wellness" business...when, in reality, they are in the pill-pushing business.

mostpost
10-19-2014, 01:45 AM
This is business as usual AFAIK.

I am sure it is not a coincidence when my doctor refers me to a particular lab for blood work or a particular procedure.
There is nothing wrong with a doctor referring you to a particular lab. The doctors I go to have a worker from the lab right in the office. I don't have to go to that person to have my blood drawn, but why wouldn't I? It is the most convenient option.

The difference between this and what was referred to in the OP is the illegal kickbacks in the OP.