PDA

View Full Version : Nice picture just for PA

cj
10-14-2014, 11:30 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bz6kJAaCEAAK0dj.jpg:large

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2014, 11:57 AM
That's awesome. I visited him many moons ago at Jonabell (when it was still just Jonabell with no Darley attached).

It was 4 or 5 years after he retired, and by that point, he was already very much lighter in color than his racing days. But he was still a beast with an attitude. Not an unkind attitude mind you, but just a horse who knew he was the big man on campus...and knew the ladies were close by...lmao

I love that horse. More than any other ever...really hope I can visit him again one day soon...I took it as a potentially bad sign that they retired him from stud duty two years ago...but he looks amazing in that photo...how recent is that shot? If you put a gun to my head, I would say it's from years ago.

Robert Fischer
10-14-2014, 11:59 AM
great picture

Dave Schwartz
10-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Hope you don't mind but I linked to this from my Facebook page.

(Even the big boys can use a link or two, right, PA?)

https://www.facebook.com/TheHorseHandicappingAuthority

RacingFan1992
10-14-2014, 12:13 PM
A true genetic gem. No Native Dancer/Northern Dancer/Bold Ruler what so ever. The way he is acting in that picture I would say there is no cause for concern.

tucker6
10-14-2014, 12:20 PM
That's awesome. I visited him many moons ago at Jonabell (when it was still just Jonabell with no Darley attached).

It was 4 or 5 years after he retired, and by that point, he was already very much lighter in color than his racing days. But he was still a beast with an attitude. Not an unkind attitude mind you, but just a horse who knew he was the big man on campus...and knew the ladies were close by...lmao

I love that horse. More than any other ever...really hope I can visit him again one day soon...I took it as a potentially bad sign that they retired him from stud duty two years ago...but he looks amazing in that photo...how recent is that shot? If you put a gun to my head, I would say it's from years ago.
Seems he is doing well these days. This from a June 2014 DRF article ...

http://www.drf.com/news/catching-holy-bull

Exerpt:

Holy Bull, a 2001 Hall of Fame inductee, was pensioned in 2012 due to declining fertility and the infirmities of old age. According to Jockey Club statistics, eight live foals were reported as the sire’s final crop.

Holy Bull, 23, still resides in familiar quarters in a Darley at Jonabell stallion barn, stabled across the aisle from two fellow pensioners – old rival Cherokee Run, 24, and Quiet American, 28. With the exception of visits to the breeding shed, Boden said Holy Bull lives “the same life he did” as an active stallion, being turned out and groomed daily and spending time in a massage blanket, “which he loves.”

“The most important thing, from racehorses right up through their next career, change is not really what they do well,” Boden said. “You try to keep things as regular as you can.”

Another thing that has never changed for Holy Bull is the accolades.

“He does have a lot of fans,” Boden said. “He is a star here. He’s a celebrity on the farm.”

cj
10-14-2014, 12:43 PM

The caption I saw seemed to indicate it was very recent, but I can't tell for sure. He does look pretty trim for a 23 year old horse.

Rex Phinney
10-14-2014, 12:55 PM
A true genetic gem. No Native Dancer/Northern Dancer/Bold Ruler what so ever. The way he is acting in that picture I would say there is no cause for concern.

I never knew that, a real genetic one off for sure.