PDA

View Full Version : Will Magna shut out the Preakness

cj
05-03-2004, 03:38 PM
This was the intent of the other thread I started, but its kind of went off track.

So, seeing how online betting is my only way to play these days, how are those who play from home going to play the Preakness? Any chance Magna will allow Bris, YouBet, etc. to take Pimlico on Preakness day? If not, they will lose tons of money in my opinion. I just don't believe people will open an Xpress Bet account for one race. If I skipped the winter GP and SA meets without being tempted, I'm sure one race won't kill me.

Thoughts?

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2004, 03:45 PM
I'll happily skip the race....I don't need to bet it, and if they aren't going to make it easily available, then screw them.

cj
05-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Further, what about the Breeder's Cup later in the year? Maybe Magna won't have a say, I'm not sure. Now that WOULD suck if I can't bet that!

ceejay
05-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
I'll happily skip the race....I don't need to bet it, and if they aren't going to make it easily available, then screw them.

Me too.

howardjim
05-03-2004, 04:38 PM
According to YouBet the Preakness will not be available.They are promoting a 10% rebate,apparently on winnings though the details are yet to appear.The time period,May 10th through the 16th is obviously aimed at Stronach's power play.
YouBet also indicated that host tracks are leased to Breeder's Cup and all betting platforms are out of Magna's purview.

Valuist
05-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Open an offshore account if you really want to bet it. It might not be worth the hassle for just one race, however. But for the Breeders Cup, I'd do it. And you know Magna isn't going to let you bet it online conventionally.

sjk
05-03-2004, 05:21 PM
I have bet races with xpressbet (Call-a-bet) almost every day since 1996. I have always had excellent customer service.

In 1998, due to the exclusionary practices of the TVG tracks I began betting with YouBet.

It is not a big deal to play using two accounts at the same time. I have been doing it nearly every day for 6 years. It is actually easier to use xpressbet for the call-a-bet tracks than it is to alternate between two Youbet accounts.

I was pretty mad about the TVG exclusionary practices 6 years ago but decided to get over it because I wanted to play the races.

If you want to avoid the Magna tracks based on your principles I don't fault you for that; the premise that it is not easy does not ring true for me.

cj
05-03-2004, 05:26 PM
The main problem I have with Magna is they gave us something, then took it away. That never works in this country. Why the main two can't work something out is beyond me. It would be beneficial to both.

BillW
05-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Further, what about the Breeder's Cup later in the year? Maybe Magna won't have a say, I'm not sure. Now that WOULD suck if I can't bet that!

I think BC Ltd. leases LS Park for the breeders cup and runs the show, so hopefully no lockout.

Bill

Tom
05-03-2004, 09:00 PM
If Magna doesn't allow open betting on the Preakness, I am all for petitioning NRTA to declare the Preakness no longer part of the triple crown and find a substitue race. Never happen, but would be worth the try.
I did not miss SA or GP this year and will probably never go back to betting either of them no matter what Magna does in the future. Frankly, they are both inferior betting meets in my opinion. Tampa Bay was far better tha GP ever was. And if SA ever was a major league track, it was long before I ever played it.
Go Smarty.....Double Crown 2004!

daylami
05-03-2004, 10:16 PM
magna / stronach is what we used to call in high school a douche bag.

he is cutting off his nose to spite his face.

look at the derby handle it broke all records.

ntra needs no more promotion money, they need a national race each week linked to a pick 4, i mean the pick 4 had 2 million in the pool the super had 5 million, the tri had 20 million

people simply want big fields.

Richard
05-03-2004, 11:47 PM
I'm completely in the dark here.Am I to understand that Magna Entertainment owns PIM too?

BillW
05-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Richard
I'm completely in the dark here.Am I to understand that Magna Entertainment owns PIM too?

Yea, they bought Maryland :rolleyes:

Bill

kenwoodallpromos
05-04-2004, 12:56 AM
It is not too hard to figure why sports like NFL, NBA, NLB with balls are doing so well-the racing industry has none.
Playing kids' games and letting one Cannuck screw things up.

gillenr
05-04-2004, 09:14 AM
It would be interesting to compare Preakness handle as a percent of Derby handle historically if, as expected, they ban internet betting. Does anyone have those records.

BillW, I think you're right about BC.

ceejay
05-04-2004, 09:52 AM
I fully expect magna to cut out the non-expressbet account wagers in the preakness. My reasoning is that for every $100 bet that they lose from TVG, UBET, Ameritab.... they only miss out on about $3. That could (I think in Magna's opinion) be offset by $20 additional bet into Expressbet (15% of $20 is the same $3).

Magna understandably doesn't care as much about the total handle as their bottom line. I think where the pressure needs to come from is the real entities that will suffer from lower handle: The Maryland Horsemen and Tax commission/taxpayers are losing out because I'll bet that Magna is not sharing the expressbet revenues with them.

Red Knave
05-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
... and letting one Cannuck screw things up.

Hey, watch who you call Canuck!

He's a transplanted Austrian.

;)

backandlay
05-04-2004, 02:24 PM
My answer would be to open a Betfair account which will definitely cover the 2nd and 3rd legs.

Screw Magna, Id rather get set at the price I want than have to put up with monopilisation from Magna and the likes.

BillW
05-04-2004, 03:25 PM
See Irishlad's post re. letter from AmericaTab. In it they state that as of now, PIM will not be available for Preakness weekend. Oh well :rolleyes:

Bill

kenwoodallpromos
05-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Don't know what nickname for an Austrian is. I think one of Canada's sports teams is called the Cannucks, like the Yankees are called.
You are correct, I forgot, Stronach is Austrian, like Hitler and Arnold.

Hammerhead
05-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Not being a conformist. I will and have not bet any of the Maget tracks. Anyone that feels they can dictate to who can and who cannot carry there signals and to force people to use their preffered betting sites to suit there selfish greed is doomed to failure, and I for one will be glad to send them on there slide to hell. I always believed this was a sport catering to the public, not dictating who can have and who cannot.

fouroneone
05-05-2004, 11:37 AM
I could care less about all this magna crap.

I am a fan of racing, and on the 15th I am going to go to My local OTB or Track, Make a bet and watch the race.

I am a fan of racing more than i am a fan of gambling, and the race will still be run no matter what goes on with lock outs or the internet.

The horses don't give a damn about all this xpressbet/TVG crap and neither do i.

Speed Figure
05-05-2004, 12:44 PM
If this guy buys Churchill Downs Inc, TVG is DONE!!!!!!http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=22287

BillW
05-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Speed Figure
If this guy buys Churchill Downs Inc, TVG is DONE!!!!!!http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=22287

It's interesting that he thinks people will select horses by "spinning reels like a slot machine" and wait 15 minutes for the result. I guess it depends on how much that hostess caters to the participants. :eek:

Bill

NoDayJob
05-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by sjk
I have bet races with xpressbet (Call-a-bet) almost every day since 1996. I have always had excellent customer service.

If you want to avoid the Magna tracks based on your principles I don't fault you for that; the premise that it is not easy does not ring true for me.

I agree. Why cut your nose to spite your face. They ( the tracks) always want it their way. However, the customers (us) can and will go offshore as long as that option is open.

NDJ

Brian Flewwelling
05-06-2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Hammerhead
Not being a conformist. I will and have not bet any of the Maget tracks. Anyone that feels they can dictate to who can and who cannot carry there signals and to force people to use their preffered betting sites to suit there selfish greed is doomed to failure, and I for one will be glad to send them on there slide to hell. I always believed this was a sport catering to the public, not dictating who can have and who cannot.

So you go along with CDI and TBG that started this exclusivity thing???

Not me!

Fleww

ps Frank is now duel citizenship living in Switzerland, Hitler is dead, and Arnold is almost :D

Hammerhead
05-06-2004, 05:32 AM
Whats a CDI & TBG? My opinion was expressed and thats that.

rrbauer
05-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Pimlico is a Magna track.

'Cotters don't bet Magna tracks.

www.boycottmagna.com

Valuist
05-10-2004, 11:41 PM
According to tomorrow's DRF they (Magna) will not give in on this. If you don't have a Magna account, you will have to go to your track or OTB. I can't say I'm surprised by this.

Dancer's Image
05-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by rrbauer
Pimlico is a Magna track.

'Cotters don't bet Magna tracks.

www.boycottmagna.com

Thanks for the link...I have been conducting my own personal boycott (Magna will really crumble due to the loss of my $2 bets), but now officially joined the ESPN racing guru....(from the website's roster)...

Hank Goldberg Florida