PDA

View Full Version : Another Sign the Apocolypse ....

cj's dad
10-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Is upon us..

Female play-by-play announcer doing the Illinois-Wisconsin game on ESPN2.

Is this a first for a major network ?

zico20
10-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Is upon us..

Is this a first for a major network ?

There has been a female doing major college football games for years now. Her name is Pam Ward.

ronsmac
10-11-2014, 04:50 PM
There has been a female doing major college football games for years now. Her name is Pam Ward.I heard they're even giving women the right to vote these days. The world is going crazy.

cj's dad
11-11-2014, 12:53 PM
There has been a female doing major college football games for years now. Her name is Pam Ward.

I did specify "female"

Robert Goren
11-11-2014, 01:54 PM
There are several women doing play by play of college football games.

Tall One
11-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Doris Burke is another. Worst part is her voice is deeper than the guy calling the game with her...:D

horses4courses
11-11-2014, 02:31 PM

It really matters to you?

cj's dad
11-11-2014, 03:36 PM
It really matters to you?

Not really- inquiring and having a bit of fun.

jballscalls
11-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Doris Burke is another. Worst part is her voice is deeper than the guy calling the game with her...:D

yeah Doris does play by play of NBA games amongst other stuff. I thought she did well but she gets hammered on twitter each time she calls.

BlueShoe
11-13-2014, 02:43 AM
There are several women doing play by play of college football games.
Wish that there were fewer of them. Not keen on women doing play by play or even commentator on men's sports. Women's volleyball, softball, or basketball, okay, sort of, I guess.

Much more accepting of women commentators in horse racing. Really liked the long departed Jan Rushton at NYRA. Jill Byrne knows what she is talking about. Jeannine Edwards has dropped out of racing it would seem, since she works for ABC/ESPN and NBC now does the major races.

Robert Goren
11-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Doing play by play is one thing, but doing color is another. The color job is usually filled by someone connect to the sport like former player or coach to provide insight and human interest. There have been former players who could do play by play, but not many. The play by play job is best filled by someone trained to do it. I see no reason that woman can't do play by play, although it takes a bit of getting use to. Maybe a woman physical therapist could do color, but that seems to be quite a stretch.