PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Antenna Questions

Robert Goren
10-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Where I live we get free WiFI, but in my room it is not a strong signal(2 or 3 bars). I was thinking about getting thinking about getting a USB port adapter/antenna. What should I know about them and will it work? Is there one that will work for a Smart TV?

GameTheory
10-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Where I live we get free WiFI, but in my room it is not a strong signal(2 or 3 bars). I was thinking about getting thinking about getting a USB port adapter/antenna. What should I know about them and will it work? Is there one that will work for a Smart TV?Antenna might help, but it is really the source that needs to be boosted (or supplementary bridged routers closer to your location). Hard to pick up what isn't there, but of course it is a two-way signal so it will help somewhat.

But if you are sharing wi-fi with a bunch of other residents, kinda doubt you'll be able to enjoy Netflix and the like (at decent quality) if that's what you're getting at with the SmartTV question. (Ever try to watch a movie on hotel wi-fi?)

I'd be looking to get my own internet for anything serious, but who knows -- I get speeds on my phone now that are just as fast as I was getting in my house just a few years ago. If it weren't for the data cap it would be good enough speed for most people...

DeltaLover
10-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Check here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wi-fi+signal+amplifier&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=28655145927&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17548505519893041350&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6v8zfwuzv7_b

OTM Al
10-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Or just get nuts and get something that will seriously boost the signal. Mine is coming Wednesday...

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412706870&sr=1-10&keywords=wi-fi+signal+amplifier

Red Knave
10-07-2014, 03:01 PM
I think in RGs case, someone else has control over the signal.

Have a scroll through here (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=high%20gain%20wifi%20usb&sprefix=high+gain+%2Celectronics) to see if anything catches your eye. A friend has the HiRO H50194 and likes it, fwiw.

Also, as Game Theory says, you will not likely find a way to usefully connect your smart TV to the internet. If you want to pursue that, you should speak to the IT people there.

_______
10-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Delta and OTM:

Are those products going to help someone like Robert who doesn't have his own router?

I'm not clear how equipment to boost the range of a signal helps someone who connects through semi-public wifi unless he's going to give it to whoever is providing the signal.

DeltaLover
10-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Delta and OTM:

Are those products going to help someone like Robert who doesn't have his own router?

I'm not clear how equipment to boost the range of a signal helps someone who connects through semi-public wifi unless he's going to give it to whoever is providing the signal.

Not sure since I have never used such a technology...

Robert Goren
10-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Delta and OTM:

I'm not clear how equipment to boost the range of a signal helps someone who connects through semi-public wifi unless he's going to give it to whoever is providing the signal.You are correct, I don't control the signal. I have even been able to find out where the signal is coming from. Nobody on site knows anything. They told me a password when I moved in and the name of the network and said I was on my own. If I can get a good signal to my computer, I can live with using the tv as a monitor to watch Netflix and Youtube. It is not a bad signal most of the time, but it has problems at the worst times or so it seems.

Longshot6977
10-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Delta and OTM:

Yes, signal strength can be boosted without access to the router. Use a WIFI repeater/extender. Here is a link to some info which contains a few links to products.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130829162336AAt06Un

DJofSD
10-07-2014, 07:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna
http://www.cantenna.com/

ARRL design: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/Jan-Feb_2011/QEX_1_11_PASKVAN.pdf

DJofSD
10-07-2014, 07:31 PM
You are correct, I don't control the signal. I have even been able to find out where the signal is coming from. Nobody on site knows anything. They told me a password when I moved in and the name of the network and said I was on my own. If I can get a good signal to my computer, I can live with using the tv as a monitor to watch Netflix and Youtube. It is not a bad signal most of the time, but it has problems at the worst times or so it seems.
While the radio signals including those for WiFi will generally penetrate common building materials, it has problems with large appliances and the such.

Move your antenna/laptop/etc. around your entire living space, not just where you normally work. Try it down low and up high looking for the best reception.

Once you've located a good spot you might be able to set up an antenna to "catch" that sweet spot which will give you system the best feed.

OTM Al
10-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Delta and OTM:

You are right. Longshot's suggestion is more appropriate for him. I do control my own so am looking forward to getting my new router tomorrow

lansdale
10-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Where I live we get free WiFI, but in my room it is not a strong signal(2 or 3 bars). I was thinking about getting thinking about getting a USB port adapter/antenna. What should I know about them and will it work? Is there one that will work for a Smart TV?

Hi Robert,

I think GT hit on the real problem, if what you want to do is stream video to a smart TV, in a public location. In a such a setting (hotel, hospital etc.) with a number of people working off a limited number of access points, the speed required for something that chews up a lot of GB like video-streaming is limited. So even having an antenna-enhanced connection doesn't help. I often run into this while traveling - everything seems to shut down at 8 pm as everybody in the hotel/motel starts trying to stream a movie.

The solution mentioned by others - a router - will work, but the data costs can mount pretty quickly if your streaming a lot of 1080p (high-resolution) material, which is now standard. If you do decide to got this route, the Verizon Jetpack ($30 per mo. for 2GB of data - one or two movies will eat this up) works very well - and per usual is free if you take the contract.

Cheers,

lansdale

GameTheory
10-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Hi Robert,

I think GT hit on the real problem, if what you want to do is stream video to a smart TV, in a public location. In a such a setting (hotel, hospital etc.) with a number of people working off a limited number of access points, the speed required for something that chews up a lot of GB like video-streaming is limited. So even having an antenna-enhanced connection doesn't help. I often run into this while traveling - everything seems to shut down at 8 pm as everybody in the hotel/motel starts trying to stream a movie.

The solution mentioned by others - a router - will work, but the data costs can mount pretty quickly if your streaming a lot of 1080p (high-resolution) material, which is now standard. If you do decide to got this route, the Verizon Jetpack ($30 per mo. for 2GB of data - one or two movies will eat this up) works very well - and per usual is free if you take the contract.

Cheers,

lansdaleYeah, one HD movie is 1-2GB so cell service broadband isn't much of an option except in an emergency. (Like if my main internet goes down, I can hook up my phone as a hotspot and be ok for a few days -- as long as I don't watch movies.) The only real solution if you want decent fast internet any time of day in a place like that is to have your own installed in your place (if possible), either cable or DSL.

Robert Goren
10-08-2014, 01:48 PM
I am living in an assisted-living facility. I don't think there are too many PC connected to the residents network. They have an office network, but it gets even fewer bars. I bought this thing this morning.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-AWUS036AC-80211ac-867-Mbps-Long-Range-WiFi-USB-Adapter-DUAL-BAND-245-GHz-/131210946379
It was a bit more than I want to pay, but I want to be fairly sure it would work. We will see. It suppose to arrive Saturday.

Red Knave
10-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Looks like you got a good price on it too. Good Luck.

Longshot6977
10-08-2014, 05:56 PM
I am living in an assisted-living facility. I don't think there are too many PC connected to the residents network. They have an office network, but it gets even fewer bars. I bought this thing this morning.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-AWUS036AC-80211ac-867-Mbps-Long-Range-WiFi-USB-Adapter-DUAL-BAND-245-GHz-/131210946379
It was a bit more than I want to pay, but I want to be fairly sure it would work. We will see. It suppose to arrive Saturday.

I hope it works out for you Robert. Good luck. The price looks good too.

davew
10-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Robert, once you det it you need to try different angles and locations as you said you are not even sure where the signal source is.

lansdale
10-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Hi Robert,

I hope the antenna solves your problem. This has also been a problem for me and a number of people I know while traveling, so I can relate. One film guy (who is plagued by this issue) suggested a speed test of your location - find out the bitrate.

Many institutional settings (or places like Starbucks) set their speed at 1 Mbps, which is fine for surfing and e-mail, but that's all. Watching DVD level material on TV requires 3.5-5 Mbps. HD resolution (this is the standard for Nexflix, Youtube, etc.) requires 5-7 Mbps. Super HD - 10 Mbps, 3D - 12-15.

This is only one among many online speed tests. You might want to try.

http://www.digitallanding.com/internet-speed-test/

If this continues to be an issue, don't hesitate to post - I'll keep checking around.

Cheers,

lansdale

davew
10-11-2014, 05:24 PM
the digital landing didn't seem to work for me, found another

http://www.att.com/speedtest/

OTM Al
10-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Or just get nuts and get something that will seriously boost the signal. Mine is coming Wednesday...

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412706870&sr=1-10&keywords=wi-fi+signal+amplifier

If any of you are in the market for a full router, this thing is really good. It has an excellent interface program that can be run by your main computer or even from a tablet.

JustRalph
10-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Robert, just because you are in a medical facility, it can't hurt to ask an administrator if you can get your own internet installed. I know someone who did it. Had the router right in their room. It worked great. $29 bucks a month.
Btw, if you can get access to their current router via a network cable (check your room outlets, you never know) you will get much better speed.

barn32
10-13-2014, 05:30 AM
I tried everything under the sun. USB antenna, external antenna, boosters, cell phone tethering, you name it nothing worked.

So yesterday I got Centruy Link for $29 a month plus the cost of a router. (1-year contract, 30 day free trial) The speeds are 10Mbps download and around .72 upload, which is enough for any surfing, Netflix, etc.

Century Link is a dedicated DSL line that uses an existing phone jack, and you don't need to have a phone line connected.

Tech guy had to come to my place to rewire the outlet, but there was no charge and now I'm up and running.

Much, much better than what I had.

Robert Goren
10-13-2014, 05:47 AM
The antenna has come and it has improved the signal quite a bit. It still isn't the same as cable, but I can live with it..... I checked out the video from Xpressbet and after a couple of starts and stops early, it went without stopping for two races. That was my main concern.
This is pretty small facility(about 50 residents). There are plusses and minuses to that. I might move, but I want to give this place a chance because the staff is so nice.

Robert Goren
10-18-2014, 02:53 PM
I found a program called Connectify Pro which turns my computer into a hot spot so now my smart TV get the same 5 bar signal as the computer with the antenna. It is amazing what is out there if you search around a little.

lansdale
10-18-2014, 03:23 PM
I found a program called Connectify Pro which turns my computer into a hot spot so now my smart TV get the same 5 bar signal as the computer with the antenna. It is amazing what is out there if you search around a little.

Hi Robert,

This is one of the next steps I was going to recommend, but I thought the antenna solved your problem. Many people i asked about how they dealt with this problem told me the combine Connectify, which now has 3 million users, with the Chromecast dongle, when traveling - an excellent deal for only $35. One of the big pluses of Chromecast, is that you can basically sling anything on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet right to your TV - you're not limited to the apps available on your Roku box or Apple TV. Depending on your residence's bitrate, HD might still be a problem if you're watching much Youtube or Netflix, but importantly, with Connectify, you're not paying for any extra bandwidth use.

This is an issue which I think affects everyone, and I may start another thread about it, but if you want to post more about what's going on with your situation
there, I'll try to respond.

Cheers,

lansdale

MJC922
10-18-2014, 04:45 PM
One thing to consider is what channel the wireless router is set to, you can download utilities to see what channel everyone else's router is using and switch yours to the least congested. It helps sometimes but it's not perfect. I waste more time on this issue than I'd ever like to admit, $50 router or $250 router, I've yet to get satisfaction with this. When you open up INSSIDER home and see 20+ other networks in range, good luck.

Robert Goren
10-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi Robert,

This is one of the next steps I was going to recommend, but I thought the antenna solved your problem. Many people i asked about how they dealt with this problem told me the combine Connectify, which now has 3 million users, with the Chromecast dongle, when traveling - an excellent deal for only $35. One of the big pluses of Chromecast, is that you can basically sling anything on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet right to your TV - you're not limited to the apps available on your Roku box or Apple TV. Depending on your residence's bitrate, HD might still be a problem if you're watching much Youtube or Netflix, but importantly, with Connectify, you're not paying for any extra bandwidth use.

This is an issue which I think affects everyone, and I may start another thread about it, but if you want to post more about what's going on with your situation
there, I'll try to respond.

Cheers,

lansdaleThe antenna will not work on my smart tv. I now the same antenna strength on both the computer and the tv thanks to Connectify.