PDA

View Full Version : HPQ: company to split

DJofSD
10-06-2014, 09:07 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-06/hewlett-packard-to-split-into-two-seeking-to-remain-competitive.html?hootPostID=e8d9185ac6ad9fba074072 2db84be6de

Robert Goren
10-06-2014, 09:19 AM
The more interesting thing is the splitting of Paypal and Ebay.

davew
10-06-2014, 11:08 AM
The more interesting thing is the splitting of Paypal and Ebay.

I think it is a money grab by the CEOs to get more cash for themselves.

I remember a few years ago Phillip Morris split off Kraft to be a separate company when they started getting big tobacco lawsuits against them. If I remember correctly Kraft IPO included Phillip Morris retaining over 80% of shares. Wall Street I more crooked than horse racing and online gaming / poker.

_______
10-06-2014, 11:49 AM
It's hard to make a bull case for either the PC or enterprise divisions at HP. They've been trying to sell the PC/Printer division without success so now they are just cutting it loose. It's a mess and I wouldn't want to own either.

eBay splitting off PayPal is a different story. A lot more people will want to own a stand alone PayPal then will want eBay. The split will at least give PayPal management a fighting chance in a rapidly changing payments world.

DJofSD
10-06-2014, 12:12 PM
eBay splitting off PayPal is a different story. A lot more people will want to own a stand alone PayPal then will want eBay. The split will at least give PayPal management a fighting chance in a rapidly changing payments world.

I don't know enough details of PayPal's business or technology, but, I have a feeling they've already lost the race.

Clocker
10-06-2014, 12:21 PM
The split will at least give PayPal management a fighting chance in a rapidly changing payments world.

I don't know how well they are doing, but I know that Amazon has entered that market. That can't be good news for PayPal.

_______
10-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Agree with both of you. PayPal would have been better off as a stand alone two years ago.

I was just comparing owning Paypal with owning HP's hardware division. I don't think there is any question which you should want to own.

HUSKER55
10-06-2014, 05:43 PM
55000 people just got unemployed.

Robert Goren
10-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Paypal as soon as it split off becomes takeover target. Ebay is already losing some of it market to Amazon. What happens to them when/if Alibaba enters the US market?

davew
10-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Paypal as soon as it split off becomes takeover target. Ebay is already losing some of it market to Amazon. What happens to them when/if Alibaba enters the US market?

They start aggressively fighting counterfeit goods entering country and helping companies battle over trademark infringement against Chinese government and 'entrepreneurs'.

Clocker
10-06-2014, 08:15 PM
They start aggressively fighting counterfeit goods

Amazon Marketplace is the arrangement that lets 3rd party sellers list items for sale on the Amazon page.

Amazon just announced a new policy that Marketplace sellers will not be able to list DVDs with a list price over a certain amount ($25??) without meeting certain stricter registration conditions, including a showing of the source of inventory.