PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Wager Design

Disenchantedguy
10-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I am someone who loses more than I win so I probably shouldn't be saying anything; but some of the bets I see people make kill me... today I saw a gentleman make an all/all/all pick 3 wager. I mean maybe he just wanted a morale boost saying he hit a pick 3! I mean you couldn't whittle down at least one horse from each leg? :lol: I know he could get lucky and by sheer random gambling luck hit a big one, but talk about negative expectation over the long haul. Another wagering strategy I can't figure out is when people will play a trifecta with something like: 3,4/all/7. So you have the handicapping acumen to know the 7 will for sure be third but no clue about the second leg?? :rolleyes: I seriously wonder if these people are crazy or maybe they are crazy like a fox! Maybe they know something the rest of us don't? I consider making a dumb wager something like; I really like the 4 horse a lot and I bet everything in exactas with the 4 and don't put any money on the 4 to win. I do this all the time and it is probably my worst betting trait. I know many of you must witness the ridiculousness with which some people attack the game. What is sad is that these people are "our wagering opponents" and I still come out behind!

horses4courses
10-05-2014, 10:06 PM
I'll never criticize those who employ Lotto strategies
when making horse wagers.

We could use a 100,000 more just like them :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
10-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I am someone who loses more than I win so I probably shouldn't be saying anything; but some of the bets I see people make kill me... today I saw a gentleman make an all/all/all pick 3 wager. I mean maybe he just wanted a morale boost saying he hit a pick 3! I mean you couldn't whittle down at least one horse from each leg? :lol: I know he could get lucky and by sheer random gambling luck hit a big one, but talk about negative expectation over the long haul. Another wagering strategy I can't figure out is when people will play a trifecta with something like: 3,4/all/7. So you have the handicapping acumen to know the 7 will for sure be third but no clue about the second leg?? :rolleyes: I seriously wonder if these people are crazy or maybe they are crazy like a fox! Maybe they know something the rest of us don't? I consider making a dumb wager something like; I really like the 4 horse a lot and I bet everything in exactas with the 4 and don't put any money on the 4 to win. I do this all the time and it is probably my worst betting trait. I know many of you must witness the ridiculousness with which some people attack the game. What is sad is that these people are "our wagering opponents" and I still come out behind!
The people who play the 3,4/all/7 trifecta usually also have the 3,4/7 exacta.

wisconsin
10-06-2014, 09:52 AM
The people who play the 3,4/all/7 trifecta usually also have the 3,4/7 exacta.

Why not cover themselves with a 3,4/3,4,7 Exacta or bet a separate 3-4 box. I know this is what they call running over your own money.

Probably better to simply bet the 3 and 4 both to win.

castaway01
10-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Why not cover themselves with a 3,4/3,4,7 Exacta or bet a separate 3-4 box. I know this is what they call running over your own money.

Probably better to simply bet the 3 and 4 both to win.

I think the only reason you make that 3,4-All-7 bet is if 7 is 20-1 and has a penchant for running 3rd. We've all seen horses with records of 20 1-2-7 that close too late with too little. Maybe the 3 and 4 are the most likely winners, then he throws everyone in 2nd, followed by the longshot in 3rd? Trying to hit a $1 trifecta for $100 instead of a $4.80 show return. Just speculating as we don't have any context for the bet. Granted not a serious wager but if someone was just screwing around with a small bet it could make sense.

jk3521
10-06-2014, 02:33 PM
A better option is to play a vulnerable favorite in the 3rd and 4th positions of a superfecta. Yesterday , last race at Santa Anita the :12: was a definate horse to play this way. When the track commentator mentioned that someone" in the know "told him that the :2: was ready, I threw some combinations together with 30 seconds to go. I had :2: :8: :11: :12: among other plays but wouldn't put a 70-1 shot in for 2nd. The 10 cent super paid $1600 dollars. My version of "Kinky Handicapping". :D

P.S. I'll also play the favorite in the 2nd spot in the exacta for a saver.

1GCFAN
10-06-2014, 09:18 PM
I shared a table with a gentleman who bets all/all exactas and trifectas on big races with heavy favorite. He keeps records of every bet and claims to break even over the course of the year. He had a good Belmont Day!