PDA

View Full Version : TV and simulcast signal problems

kenwoodallpromos
05-03-2004, 01:27 AM
No big problem, I am just wondering if network horseracing feeds and simulcast feeds and personnel routinely goof up like the KY Derby did when it began raining.
At GGF for simulcast there were 2 minor problems= Hollywood feed goofed up 3rd race, and after NY feed was over there was color bars on the screen and a siren-like sound that took several minutes to fix.
Maybe all of that just came up close together, or else racing video is cheap and in need of updating.

Valuist
05-03-2004, 10:37 AM
What I find amazing when I'm at the OTB is how when the signal goes out, its always in the middle of a race. This happens w/NYRA all the time at the OTB I go to.

As for the TV coverage, I think NBC didn't use quite as many camera cuts as usual but they still had too many. One that I don't understand is when the horses are on the far turn and they cut from a pan shot to a side view of the two leaders. This is a useless angle. Then when the field hits the stretch, they cut back to the pan shot.

I like ESPN's overhead camera. Its great for trip-noting. They used it on the filly turf race and you can clearly tell the exact path each runner is in.

kenwoodallpromos
05-03-2004, 01:37 PM
I wonder why the rain caused transmission trouble from CD. The NFL with all the bad weather seems to transmit well.

Tom
05-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Earlier in the day, they showed guys setting up the ESPN equipment. It looked like they were positioning stuff just inside the track, actually at a lower level that the track surface. This is wehr ethe waterfall was later in th eafternoon. Probably washed out/shorted out the connections.