PDA

View Full Version : Help for a pleasant Keeneland BC 2015

MYKE
10-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Any help is appreciated

I have never been to Keeneland. I plan on visiting Oct 17 and 18 to play and to scout for hotels. I plan on attending the breeder’s cup in 2015.

Scouting places to stay

Transportation best way in and out of track

And of course area to avoid

Milkshaker
10-03-2014, 05:27 PM
I have visited Keeneland twice, and both times I got basic, chain-hotel accomodations on the western side of Lexington off Man O War Blvd. that were not fancy but sufficient. I had to drive to both tthe track and downtown.

I'm usually one for staying in the downtown area and walking to dinner and watering holes, but on both visits I have to say I was disappointed with what downtown Lexington had to offer.

When I went in 2008, it was just at the beginning of the recession, and I was shocked at the empty storefronts and entire shopping plazas that were "open" but had only one or two tenants.

I went back in 2013 and was eager to see how the city had rebounded. Sadly, it hadn't.

Especially considering Lexington is a university town, I expected some vibrancy and walkability. There is none. I was also stunned at the juxtaposition of how beautiful the surrounding lush farm country is outside of town, but how drab and dead the downtown was.

I also give the restaurant scene low marks. Two or three nice high end places (A La Lucie, Dudley's) offset by LOTS of chain dining options. There is no middle ground (ie a non-chain place where you can get good regional cooking without it setting you back more than $50 per person). I like brewpubs, and there were 3 when I last went--one in a warehouse district and two in far-flung locations well off the beaten path. None of them served meals when I visited (just bar snacks).

Knowing the price gouging that will be in effect for the BC, I would seriously consider staying west of Lex and commuting in for the races. Turning left leaving the track (ie to downtown) is going to be a nightmare on BC weekend.

tanner12oz
10-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Its going to be challenging on BC day...i have been there for opening days, bluegrass day and am actually driving down tomorrow. Have stayed at the four points, doubletree and baymont all have been adequate with doubletree being best by far. On the big days track never feels insanely crowded like at Belmont it anything. Grounds are stunning and surrounding attractions (farms,distilleries) are worth the extra day in town. Can't say any food has blown me away going to try to eat at ramseys diner this weekend. Pm me for any questions and I'll do my best to answer

Milkshaker
10-03-2014, 07:48 PM
One Keeneland quirk that I found bizarre (someone who has more current intelligence can correct me if I'm out of date on this):

When I have been there on busy Saturdays, I opted to have a drink or two at the end of the live card to wait out the crowds while I enjoyed simulcasts.

Trouble is, I found out it is Keeneland policy to shut all the bars BUT ONE after the running of the feature race.

Anyone who wants to make a bar purchase after that is cattle-crammed into the lone remaining open bar on the 2nd (3rd?) floor.

This kind of defeats the purpose of avoiding crowds, in my opinion.

Tall One
10-03-2014, 08:31 PM
I have visited Keeneland twice, and both times I got basic, chain-hotel accomodations on the western side of Lexington off Man O War Blvd. that were not fancy but sufficient. I had to drive to both tthe track and downtown.

I'm usually one for staying in the downtown area and walking to dinner and watering holes, but on both visits I have to say I was disappointed with what downtown Lexington had to offer.

When I went in 2008, it was just at the beginning of the recession, and I was shocked at the empty storefronts and entire shopping plazas that were "open" but had only one or two tenants.

I went back in 2013 and was eager to see how the city had rebounded. Sadly, it hadn't.

Especially considering Lexington is a university town, I expected some vibrancy and walkability. There is none. I was also stunned at the juxtaposition of how beautiful the surrounding lush farm country is outside of town, but how drab and dead the downtown was.

I also give the restaurant scene low marks. Two or three nice high end places (A La Lucie, Dudley's) offset by LOTS of chain dining options. There is no middle ground (ie a non-chain place where you can get good regional cooking without it setting you back more than $50 per person). I like brewpubs, and there were 3 when I last went--one in a warehouse district and two in far-flung locations well off the beaten path. None of them served meals when I visited (just bar snacks).

Knowing the price gouging that will be in effect for the BC, I would seriously consider staying west of Lex and commuting in for the races. Turning left leaving the track (ie to downtown) is going to be a nightmare on BC weekend.

Your first mistake was staying in west Lexington, and you went downhill fast after that. When you stayed downtown, you didn't go over to Cheapside or McCarthy's, or Redmond's, or The Toasted Barrel by Trainlge Park? Maybe take a cab towards campus on South Limestone and hit up Tin Roof, Two Keys, Pazzo's Pizza, or the Paddock Bar? Tolly-Ho, a ten minute cab from downtown for a greasy burger after pounding beers all day?? Goodfellas Pizza for Christ's sake..you know why you had bad dining experiences? your choices plain suck..lol...Lucie's and Dudley's have been going downhill for years, man//

Let me see if I can help the OP:

I'd stay in Beaumont Center which is the nicest part of town and about 15-20 minutes from the track. Several nice options for lodging there and I'd try and look into when you can make reservations..Waffle House and Kroger near by and a HUGE Liquor Barn with whatever you'd ever want drink. Food wise, it's "ok"--Texas Roadhouse, a Mexican joint I forget the name of, and a sushi joint which I understand is legit if that's your style.

There's a place called Malones in Palomar Center few minutes down past Beaumont Ctr is where you might be spending a good deal of time..The who's who crowd will be in full force, lots of people there after the race. Food can be spotty, but when the meet is on, food will be beyond excellent...just like the scenery. :cool:

Another food rec...you're about a 10 dollar cab ride away from a joint called Winchell's. Hotel might run you over there actually. Just tell whoever Winchell's on Southland drive. If I had the choice of Ramsey's--which is no longer downtown, btw...or Winchell's, it'd be Winchell's and not even close. Their food and portions are great, which matches the price and service. Tons of TV's, and lots of folks around the bar with their forms out, laptops up, and TVG on. Fried chicken, the Kentucky Hot Brown, pulled pork quesadillas and their nachos are made with the same bornaise cheese used on the Hot Brown. Local brews on tap, and the breakfast is awesome. There's always a line. Down the road from there is Marikkas, a German bier stube with any beer you want. Neighborhood local type bar.

Hope that kinda helps, you OP. Lexington is a great place I've called home 35 of my 41 years. I might've been a bit off color with Milkshake, but, he really made bad choices.. I do recommend getting here early or stay late enough to take at least one Distillery tour (Woodford Reserve) and also a tour of one of our nearby farms, Our Horse Park, or Old Friends..or all four. Mr Blowen does a great thing, and you'll get a different feel for the horses when you leave....with the BC here, I wouldn't be surprised if Blowen isn't out there.

Caveat--traffic can be a bitch here, so look into shuttles and what not for the BC..TAKE CABS if you go out for a night. Metro police love out of state visitors sometimes...and locals too.. :rolleyes:

Tall One
10-03-2014, 08:35 PM
One Keeneland quirk that I found bizarre (someone who has more current intelligence can correct me if I'm out of date on this):

When I have been there on busy Saturdays, I opted to have a drink or two at the end of the live card to wait out the crowds while I enjoyed simulcasts.

Trouble is, I found out it is Keeneland policy to shut all the bars BUT ONE after the running of the feature race.

Anyone who wants to make a bar purchase after that is cattle-crammed into the lone remaining open bar on the 2nd (3rd?) floor.

This kind of defeats the purpose of avoiding crowds, in my opinion.

Second floor over looking the Paddock/Exit gate area...all due respect to the "get out", the day is pretty much "over" after the feature.

Tall One
10-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Lexington Bars (http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=best+restaurants+downtown&find_loc=Lexington%2C+KY&ns=1#cflt=bars&l=p:KY:Lexington::)

Tall One
10-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Downtown Restaurants (http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=best+restaurants+downtown&find_loc=Lexington%2C+KY&ns=1#l=p:KY:Lexington::)

alhattab
10-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Your first mistake was staying in west Lexington, and you went downhill fast after that. When you stayed downtown, you didn't go over to Cheapside or McCarthy's, or Redmond's, or The Toasted Barrel by Trainlge Park? Maybe take a cab towards campus on South Limestone and hit up Tin Roof, Two Keys, Pazzo's Pizza, or the Paddock Bar? Tolly-Ho, a ten minute cab from downtown for a greasy burger after pounding beers all day?? Goodfellas Pizza for Christ's sake..you know why you had bad dining experiences? your choices plain suck..lol...Lucie's and Dudley's have been going downhill for years, man//

I'd stay in Beaumont Center which is the nicest part of town and about 15-20 minutes from the track. Several nice options for lodging there and I'd try and look into when you can make reservations..Waffle House and Kroger near by and a HUGE Liquor Barn with whatever you'd ever want drink. Food wise, it's "ok"--Texas Roadhouse, a Mexican joint I forget the name of, and a sushi joint which I understand is legit if that's your style.

There's a place called Malones in Palomar Center few minutes down past Beaumont Ctr is where you might be spending a good deal of time..The who's who crowd will be in full force, lots of people there after the race. Food can be spotty, but when the meet is on, food will be beyond excellent...just like the scenery. :cool:

Another food rec...you're about a 10 dollar cab ride away from a joint called Winchell's. Hotel might run you over there actually. Just tell whoever Winchell's on Southland drive. If I had the choice of Ramsey's--which is no longer downtown, btw...or Winchell's, it'd be Winchell's and not even close. Their food and portions are great, which matches the price and service. Tons of TV's, and lots of folks around the bar with their forms out, laptops up, and TVG on. Fried chicken, the Kentucky Hot Brown, pulled pork quesadillas and their nachos are made with the same bornaise cheese used on the Hot Brown. Local brews on tap, and the breakfast is awesome. There's always a line. Down the road from there is Marikkas, a German bier stube with any beer you want. Neighborhood local type bar.

Hope that kinda helps, you OP. Lexington is a great place I've called home 35 of my 41 years. I might've been a bit off color with Milkshake, but, he really made bad choices.. I do recommend getting here early or stay late enough to take at least one Distillery tour (Woodford Reserve) and also a tour of one of our nearby farms, Our Horse Park, or Old Friends..or all four. Mr Blowen does a great thing, and you'll get a different feel for the horses when you leave....with the BC here, I wouldn't be surprised if Blowen isn't out there.

Caveat--traffic can be a bitch here, so look into shuttles and what not for the BC..TAKE CABS if you go out for a night. Metro police love out of state visitors sometimes...and locals too.. :rolleyes:

Tall One- how about the Hamburg Place area? I've never stayed out there but a friend of mine swears by it and likes the easy access to Malones out there. Seems awfully far from the track.

As for the 2015 BC, I think the best time to be there will be the weekend before. I live near Monmouth and going to for training hours the weekend before 2007 big day was fantastic. I'm hoping to be @ Kee 10/23-25 2015 it will be awesome.

lamboguy
10-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Tall One- how about the Hamburg Place area? I've never stayed out there but a friend of mine swears by it and likes the easy access to Malones out there. Seems awfully far from the track.

As for the 2015 BC, I think the best time to be there will be the weekend before. I live near Monmouth and going to for training hours the weekend before 2007 big day was fantastic. I'm hoping to be @ Kee 10/23-25 2015 it will be awesome.
i go to Monmouth sometimes in the morning, i like it there as well. i went last year to Santa Anita for the Breeders Cup and had a great time. i am going back again this year.

Tall One
10-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Al,

I live all the way across town close to Harrodsburg Rd, so I don't get out there hardly at all. You can take Man O' War from Hamburg all the way too Keeneland...Give or take 20 miles...45mph, redlights, BC traffic..hourish..

That said...it is convenient because: it's right off I-75, and a nice area really..several lodging options..TONS of food options--majority chain--a theater, groceries, another big Liquor Barn...and a Chick fil-A..they have a Malone's out there...but like Hamburg area, it's out there, and personally, I've never been so I can't compare the crowd to Palomar or their Tates Creek (original) loctions.

Tall One
10-03-2014, 10:56 PM
If you'll be in town for the week...normal travel times from Hamburg too Keeneland weekdays would be closer to half hour-40 minutes...peak.

Make sure you hit up the track kitchen out at Keeneland that week after the works. I'm guessing lambo has ate out there, lol...good thing is, during the meet, and especially that week, you never know who'll walk in for a meal in the kitchen.. :ThmbUp:

Tall One
10-03-2014, 11:27 PM
nm

Tall One
10-04-2014, 12:50 AM
Another thing, Al...If you're bringing a lady along, Hamburg is chock full of shops for every damn thing you could imagine. That might be a good or bad thing, but if you needed the distraction tactic... :D

also, barnes & noble bookstore is over there too...solid section for learning more about the Bluegrass State.

PhantomOnTour
10-04-2014, 01:06 AM
Make sure you set aside time for a scenic drive around the big farms of Lexington (Old Pike Rd??)...Winstar is close to Keeneland, and you can drive by Three Chimneys, Lane's End and other big time operations.
Calumet basically shares the same grounds as Keeneland, they are very close.
You will need to book a tour in order to see the grounds of any of these places though. We toured Claiborne Farms in Paris, Ky and it was something I will never forget. Their graveyard of champions will stop and silence any fan of the game, for a long time....Secretariat is there, right next to Mr Prospector, and Swale, and the list goes on.

Ate at a great place called Wallace Station, which is located on the above mentioned scenic road....love that place, we went back to eat every day we were there.
It's sort of a "country inn" type place, but has character and the food was excellent.

Tall One
10-04-2014, 01:34 AM
Best kept entrance at Keeneland? If you're on 60/Versailles Rd headed out, pass up the Man O' War, and Main Gate entrance, and turn in right past the latter...follow the signs. Back entrance..

I'll piggy back PoT's advice on the farm tour...see when an open house is going on. Don't be greedy, but pick out a stallion or two you'd "like too look at" and they'll be more than happy to oblige a future breeder.. ;)

Windy Corner is another spot I'll recommend..they'll make your sandwich into a wrap if you ask, and it's MUCH better that way..the po'boy is off the hook in a wrap.

alhattab
10-04-2014, 04:59 AM
If you'll be in town for the week...normal travel times from Hamburg too Keeneland weekdays would be closer to half hour-40 minutes...peak.

Make sure you hit up the track kitchen out at Keeneland that week after the works. I'm guessing lambo has ate out there, lol...good thing is, during the meet, and especially that week, you never know who'll walk in for a meal in the kitchen.. :ThmbUp:

Track kitchen is a must. I recall being there in the 90s when Pat Day sat down at the table next to mine.

Haven't been there in 11 years now. When I did go I've stayed at what is now the DoubleTree a few times. Tried to plan a few trips since and like your advice TO I zeroed in on the Palomar Centre area and the Marriott properties in the Corporate Park just up from Palomar on what I believe is Harrodsburg Rd, which I figured gave easy enough access to Malones, etc.

jahura2
10-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Have lived here in Lex for over 30 years. Kee at one time was a daily occurrence in the fall and spring. Heading out there today to observe the new track and to see Wise Dan. Recommendations that confirm what has previously been said.
1. Malones in Palomar for sure
2. Agree with Winchells
3. Marikkas in Southland a block from Winchells is a great German restaurant and Beer house (500 beers)
4. Stay in Beaumont close to Malones and a short trip to the track. Comfort Inn and Hampton inn. Fairfield INN just blew up a few weeks ago.
5.Go in the back entrance, park at the kitchen and walk up to the track.
6. Definitely eat at the track kitchen. Some of the best food in town.
7.Other good restaurants, Bourbon n Toulouse on campus, Joe Bolgnas on campus, El Toros- Nicholasville Road, Ramseys on Harrodsburg Road by Beaumont.
Bars, Two Keys, (UK Institution), Mccarthys, Marikkas, Cheapside
Ticket prices are expected to be at a premium but you can have great food and a great experience if you plan.

Grits
10-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Best kept entrance at Keeneland? If you're on 60/Versailles Rd headed out, pass up the Man O' War, and Main Gate entrance, and turn in right past the latter...follow the signs. Back entrance..

I'll piggy back PoT's advice on the farm tour...see when an open house is going on. Don't be greedy, but pick out a stallion or two you'd "like too look at" and they'll be more than happy to oblige a future breeder.. ;)

Windy Corner is another spot I'll recommend..they'll make your sandwich into a wrap if you ask, and it's MUCH better that way..the po'boy is off the hook in a wrap.

You've done good work, T.O. You're proud of your city. Having lived there, (I think we've spoken of our love of Lexington) Its hard to get the feel of this place when one's been there only twice--a time constraint, no doubt, is negative.

...Maybe its just me, but I don't ever recall the 2nd floor bar at Keeneland, which is good size, closing after live racing. Simulcasting for west coast racing is available until their cards are concluded unless something has changed.

...Back entrance? Taken that right on Rice Road, straight to the track kitchen many days. Though, it'll probably be closed to the public when '15 BC rolls around.

Phantom, the scenic road you're speaking of is Paris Pike. I remember when it was only two lanes. Heavily traveled each day and some bad accidents over the years. Its beautiful now, and a whole lot safer.

add: Jahura2...saw the explosion at the Fairfield Inn on the news. Whew. Tough one. Enjoy today's races.

Tall One
10-04-2014, 10:47 AM
You've done good work, T.O. You're proud of your city. Having lived there, (I think we've spoken of our love of Lexington) Its hard to get the feel of this place when one's been there only twice--a time constraint, no doubt, is negative.

...Maybe its just me, but I don't ever recall the 2nd floor bar at Keeneland, which is good size, closing after live racing. Simulcasting for west coast racing is available until their cards are concluded unless something has changed.

...Back entrance? Taken that right on Rice Road, straight to the track kitchen many days. Though, it'll probably be closed to the public when '15 BC rolls around.

Phantom, the scenic road you're speaking of is Paris Pike. I remember when it was only two lanes. Heavily traveled each day and some bad accidents over the years. Its beautiful now, and a whole lot safer.

Thanks, Grits, and I'm glad you shared on the thread We have indeed discussed Lexington in another thread. :) Rice Road is what I was thinking of! Thanks for that. Jahura I mentioned it too and Al should make good use of it! It's very close too the kitchen, and the walk up to the track is bustling with activity.

Al, the Corporate Drive area across from Beaumont Center is mostly businesses, but that's where the Racing Form and Jockey Club's offices are located. Nice folks in the JC...oh, Blood-Horse's main office is in Beaumont Center too!

Another thing I FORGOT and is very important for anybody travelling into Lexington for the races...I haven't looked at next year's schedule, but UK may very well have a home football game that weekend. In fact, we always have a game the weekend, but if it should happen too be away, there's no trouble. If it is at home, and it's a big name like Georgia or Missouri, etc...book your rooms as early as you can. Our SEC bretheren from other states love Keeneland. I'll check on that and post what I find.

MYKE
10-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the over whelming first-class information, I hope we meet at the IRS window someday.

Grits
10-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the over whelming first-class information, I hope we meet at the IRS window someday.

Hope you have great fun and cash many winners. There's been a couple of fine upsets today... particularly just now in the Spinster. How cool is it that 1K was paid for Don't Tell Sophia while having won over 700K? Too, she blows by Close Hatches like she's standing still. What a dream come true.

tanner12oz
10-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks, Grits, and I'm glad you shared on the thread We have indeed discussed Lexington in another thread. :) Rice Road is what I was thinking of! Thanks for that. Jahura I mentioned it too and Al should make good use of it! It's very close too the kitchen, and the walk up to the track is bustling with activity.

Al, the Corporate Drive area across from Beaumont Center is mostly businesses, but that's where the Racing Form and Jockey Club's offices are located. Nice folks in the JC...oh, Blood-Horse's main office is in Beaumont Center too!

Another thing I FORGOT and is very important for anybody travelling into Lexington for the races...I haven't looked at next year's schedule, but UK may very well have a home football game that weekend. In fact, we always have a game the weekend, but if it should happen too be away, there's no trouble. If it is at home, and it's a big name like Georgia or Missouri, etc...book your rooms as early as you can. Our SEC bretheren from other states love Keeneland. I'll check on that and post what I find.

saw a ton of gamecocks fans locally this weekend

ubercapper
10-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Any help is appreciated

I have never been to Keeneland. I plan on visiting Oct 17 and 18 to play and to scout for hotels. I plan on attending the breeder’s cup in 2015.

Scouting places to stay

There are fine hotels in Beaumont Center, which is no more than 10 minutes from the track. They are: Comfort Suites, Hampton, Courtyard and Residence Inn. Unfortunately, the Fairfield just had a gas explosion/fire and won't be rebuilt for some time.

In that same area are some great restaurants: Bru Burger, Azur. Also Texas Roadhouse and Waffle House are walking distance. Minutes away is Malones/Harry's and Wild Eggs for Breakfast/Brunch. Downtown is just 5-10 minutes away with more great places.

There are really only two ways into/out of the track - the main entrance straight up Man o'War and gate 2 on Versailles Road about a 1/4 mile away. There's a back way off Rice Road but on big days it won't matter. On any racing day except the huge days like Bluegrass Stakes day (and Breeders' Cup) waiting just 20 minutes after the last race pretty much gets you out of the track in 5 minutes.

If you have any other questions let me know. I've lived here for 13 years and am at Keeneland every day.

the little guy
10-06-2014, 11:09 AM
I'm sorry....Malones is good? Compared to what?

tanner12oz
10-06-2014, 08:22 PM
I ate at the smashing tomato this weekend which was very casual, affordable but good. Stayed at the baymont which was far from posh but the room was clean, free breakfast and was I think $47 bucks. I got into town at 11am Saturday and left Sunday at 7pm was in the hotel maybe 5-6 hours.....no point in paying if your a guy and a track rat :-)..parking on the hill seems to get you off the grounds quicker then the lower lots..scooted put easily from the hill on Saturday while traffic was jammed on keeneland. Only issue is trying to make a left hand turn if you need to get up to new circle...its doable but probably not 100% safe

BettinBilly
10-07-2014, 10:02 AM
OP:

I have worked the Lexington area extensively for over 10 years and have been to just about every hotel and restaurant in the metro area, including Georgetown, KY and Richmond, KY.

My favorite place to stay on a moderate budget is the Comfort Suites in Georgetown, KY. This is about 8 miles north of Lexington in I-75. It's a bit out of the hectic way of Lexington. You have decent mid-level restaurants including a Ruby Tuesday, and there is a Starbucks within a 1/2 mile drive from the hotels. There are many hotels on this exit, and I have found that they compete fairly well for business which keeps the price relatively low. There is (or was) a small outlet mall nearby with a Van Husen men's outlet store where I buy 99 percent of my business and casual clothes for pennies on the dollar. I have not been to this store in a few years and I hope it is still open as I need new clothes again. I can literally buy a whole wardrobe for 100 bucks if I look in the clearance sections.

Here is a link to the exit exploration: http://www.exitexplorer.com/exit.php?e=I-75-KY-126#.VDPvjUpX-uY

If you are looking for a more five-star hotel, I like the Embassy Suites just south of Georgetown closer to Lexington. I believe it is the Newtown Pike exit. There is also a Four Points Sheraton there and a Marriott Resort. Personally, these are way to pricey for me as I run my own company and have to pay my own expenses. Thus, I opt for Comfort inn (stay 2 nights, get a night free currently running as a special promo) and their free breakfast (really decent) in the mornings. All for $79 a night VS $179.

I have also stayed super cheap at the Red Roof Lexington, but this is in a not so nice area with not so nice restaurants. You can probably get in there for $59 but personally, I'd pay the extra 20 bucks and get a much nicer room at Comfort Suites (or any of the hotels at the Georgetown exit).

You can also peruse the Man-O-War exit for hotels there, but I've not had much luck with pricing to fit MY budget.

As a wise traveler whom has to pay his own way, I often search hotels.com for the best deals, but lately have been getting good deals via cheaptickets.com. You can search this for flights, rental cars, and hotels.

I also have affiliation with a national organization that gets me at least 10 percent off of Choice Hotels (Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn). Sometimes 20 percent. You can PM me for the info if you want for the details. I don't mind sharing. I just won't post it openly.

Good luck, have fun, and Wager Wisely!

-Billy

thespaah
10-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Any help is appreciated

Scouting places to stay

THe wife and stayed here.....https://www.google.com/maps/@37.960558,-84.3848412,3a,75y,18.12h,89.47t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s_X8i36FRd1Su9WaS1-gE0g!2e0
This is I-75 and KY 418
16.1 miles from Keeneland....
I have no doubt that on track parking will not only be at a premium, so will the price. I would expect there to be some sort of remote parking with shuttle service to an from the track.
This La Quinta was a nice clean place. No concerns about crime or any of that other nonsense.
One other issue. The closer to lodging to the track the higher the rates.
If this winds up anything like when Saratoga is open, lodging establishments will be requiring two or three night minimums and at rack rates. Which means they will charge the highest rate allowable by law.
It is what it is.
I don't give a crap. I'm gonna do everything in my power to be there next year. I will just start filling the old coffee can( my stash) right now.

thespaah
10-08-2014, 08:22 PM

Lexington is a typical southern college town. I was surprised at how drab the downtown area was when I was there. Usually college towns have lots of college bars. I thought I would see Lexington as a smaller version of Raleigh NC.
Save for the immediate areas around Rupp Arena and the Football Stadium, it's all office buildings and a few restaurants and small shops. Lots of street repair projects.
I have to imagine the better dining options for those with means are located in the surrounding towns where the people with money actually live.

thespaah
10-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Ok./..I stand corrected. I guess we nefver really looked beyond what was on the main drag. Using google maps I spotted the places you mentioned above.
Good to know. I think we ate the the Texas Roadhouse at Beaumont Center Circle. looks familiar.
We made it a point go head out to Old Friends. And yes, Mr Blowen was there and even joined our tour. He just took over from the guide. He's a great guy. Not a pretentious bone in his body. Answered all the questions from the guests and was happy about doing so.
A visit to Old Friends is a MUST if one is a fan of racing.

thespaah
10-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Track kitchen is a must. I recall being there in the 90s when Pat Day sat down at the table next to mine.

Haven't been there in 11 years now. When I did go I've stayed at what is now the DoubleTree a few times. Tried to plan a few trips since and like your advice TO I zeroed in on the Palomar Centre area and the Marriott properties in the Corporate Park just up from Palomar on what I believe is Harrodsburg Rd, which I figured gave easy enough access to Malones, etc.
I had no idea. Most every track I've either been to or worked at the track kitchen was in a secure area. Horsemen and licensed employees only.
The fact that the general public can eat at the Keeneland Track kitchen is kind of cool

thespaah
10-08-2014, 09:05 PM
OP:

I have worked the Lexington area extensively for over 10 years and have been to just about every hotel and restaurant in the metro area, including Georgetown, KY and Richmond, KY.

My favorite place to stay on a moderate budget is the Comfort Suites in Georgetown, KY. This is about 8 miles north of Lexington in I-75. It's a bit out of the hectic way of Lexington. You have decent mid-level restaurants including a Ruby Tuesday, and there is a Starbucks within a 1/2 mile drive from the hotels. There are many hotels on this exit, and I have found that they compete fairly well for business which keeps the price relatively low. There is (or was) a small outlet mall nearby with a Van Husen men's outlet store where I buy 99 percent of my business and casual clothes for pennies on the dollar. I have not been to this store in a few years and I hope it is still open as I need new clothes again. I can literally buy a whole wardrobe for 100 bucks if I look in the clearance sections.

Here is a link to the exit exploration: http://www.exitexplorer.com/exit.php?e=I-75-KY-126#.VDPvjUpX-uY

If you are looking for a more five-star hotel, I like the Embassy Suites just south of Georgetown closer to Lexington. I believe it is the Newtown Pike exit. There is also a Four Points Sheraton there and a Marriott Resort. Personally, these are way to pricey for me as I run my own company and have to pay my own expenses. Thus, I opt for Comfort inn (stay 2 nights, get a night free currently running as a special promo) and their free breakfast (really decent) in the mornings. All for $79 a night VS $179.

I have also stayed super cheap at the Red Roof Lexington, but this is in a not so nice area with not so nice restaurants. You can probably get in there for $59 but personally, I'd pay the extra 20 bucks and get a much nicer room at Comfort Suites (or any of the hotels at the Georgetown exit).

You can also peruse the Man-O-War exit for hotels there, but I've not had much luck with pricing to fit MY budget.

As a wise traveler whom has to pay his own way, I often search hotels.com for the best deals, but lately have been getting good deals via cheaptickets.com. You can search this for flights, rental cars, and hotels.

I also have affiliation with a national organization that gets me at least 10 percent off of Choice Hotels (Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn). Sometimes 20 percent. You can PM me for the info if you want for the details. I don't mind sharing. I just won't post it openly.

Good luck, have fun, and Wager Wisely!

-Billy
Im with you. I look for the deals. I never pay full price for lodging, rental cars, flights....I will pay a little bit more for a spot in a better neighborhood though. We eat cheap too. No she she food for me. Can't afford it and I don't like the idea of paying top dollar for a meal that I need to go eat a real meal afterward.
I understand there are those with lots of money or those who wannabe like the people with lots of money who seek out the fancy places to eat and stay. God bless them. Nothing wrong with that. If I had it, by God I'd be spending it too.

jahura2
10-08-2014, 09:42 PM
I had no idea. Most every track I've either been to or worked at the track kitchen was in a secure area. Horsemen and licensed employees only.
The fact that the general public can eat at the Keeneland Track kitchen is kind of cool
Some of the best food in town at Keeneland Kitchen. I groomed on the backside there in the early 80's, and ate there everyday. Today it's pretty much the same inexpensive ,quality food, and everyone is welcome. It's also the best place to park when you go to the races in the afternoon. Free ,and a short walk through the backside puts you at the back entrance of the track away from most of the crowds.

tanner12oz
10-09-2014, 04:18 AM
Im with you. I look for the deals. I never pay full price for lodging, rental cars, flights....I will pay a little bit more for a spot in a better neighborhood though. We eat cheap too. No she she food for me. Can't afford it and I don't like the idea of paying top dollar for a meal that I need to go eat a real meal afterward.
I understand there are those with lots of money or those who wannabe like the people with lots of money who seek out the fancy places to eat and stay. God bless them. Nothing wrong with that. If I had it, by God I'd be spending it too.

you can priceline hotels for as cheap as it would be to stay in a tent at a state park...not total dives either..

Tall One
10-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Kentucky hosts Tennessee that weekend in football, folks.

First time since 1959 we haven't played them in November, but fortunately, they're only a 3-3.5 hour drive south of here, so for a lot of their fans, it's an up and back trip.

serp
10-15-2014, 10:59 AM
I used to live in Lexington and I travel to Keeneland every Oct and Apr from just south of there.

I used to make sure I got the fastest or back door ways to get there to avoid traffic but these days I find it so much more relaxing to pick a decent hotel in Hamburg (where Man O War and 75 meet) and then just head into the track early. It takes a while but Man O War dumps you off right in Keeneland. I turn left and go in Gate 2 and pay for parking. It's pretty cheap and if you are early you are right by an entrance and getting out of Gate 2 is a lot easier and faster than Gate 1.

If you want to hang out after the race and let traffic die down go back to your vehicle and tailgate. As long as you aren't setting up a big tent or blocking traffic you are fine to bring out your cooler, a small table, some fold out chairs, and even a portable grill.

As for Malone's it is completely hit or miss. I have been there one time and got probably one of the best steaks I've ever had and I'm a steak snob. I have also gone there and been served a piece of leather (ordered medium-rare) that I refused to eat and had them refund. You never know what you are gonna get there.

GMB@BP
10-15-2014, 05:25 PM
I cant imagine going there for the BC in 2015, that is not a track that is built to handle the excess attendance they will try to stick in there.

JustRalph
10-15-2014, 06:25 PM
I cant imagine going there for the BC in 2015, that is not a track that is built to handle the excess attendance they will try to stick in there.

I went on Breeders cup day once. Keeneland was a nightmare. I can't imagine if the races are there :bang:

Al Gobbi
10-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Limiting tickets for the event each day to around 28,000

http://t.co/nKBa1NXPXz

BMustang
10-18-2014, 11:29 PM
In a book published on his life, Ted Bassett, the former CEO and now CEO Emeritus, devoted a sizable portion of a chapter, detailing just why Keenland could never hold the Breeders Cup. Perhaps present day management should have read it.

Grits
10-20-2014, 04:28 PM
I could be wrong, but I still don't see anything but a big mistake in the decision to allow Keeneland to host the 2015 Breeders' Cup. It has always been too small.

PhantomOnTour
10-20-2014, 05:58 PM
I could be wrong, but I still don't see anything but a big mistake in the decision to allow Keeneland to host the 2015 Breeders' Cup. It has always been too small.
Grits,
My father is hell bent on taking his two sons to a BrCup (we've never been) and has Kee on his radar...I am doing my best to convince him that a trip to Saratoga would be better :)
In fact, the BrCup is so massive and I'm such a serious player that I would rather be home with all my data and notes and crap than be at the track. It's not like I'm going to get up close to any of the horses, and betting could be a nightmare.
They are selling seats in the sales pavilion...whaaaaaat!?
A seat that isn't even inside the grounds of the track?

Tall One
10-20-2014, 07:09 PM

I live 10 minutes away, and wont be in attendance. No way, no how. I'll be making my bets tailgating before UK plays UT. :cool:

Here's something I wasn't aware of...the BC takes over whatever track is hosting the event. That means, apparently, they control the seating, which as Phantom describes, they're already selling tickets in the freaking sales pavilion which is a separate building on its own.

Makes you wonder what the bluest bloods of central KY will do when their box seats they've maintained since 1936 becomes a sponsors seat for both days. From what I was told, not even writing your Congressman will help.. :eek:

thespaah
10-20-2014, 11:17 PM
I live 10 minutes away, and wont be in attendance. No way, no how. I'll be making my bets tailgating before UK plays UT. :cool:

Here's something I wasn't aware of...the BC takes over whatever track is hosting the event. That means, apparently, they control the seating, which as Phantom describes, they're already selling tickets in the freaking sales pavilion which is a separate building on its own.

Makes you wonder what the bluest bloods of central KY will do when their box seats they've maintained since 1936 becomes a sponsors seat for both days. From what I was told, not even writing your Congressman will help.. :eek:
Ya know what? That's a very good question. What WILL the permanent seat and box holders do when they find the public ( well monied) will have a shot at buying the box or seating they have held for years.
Could be quite a bone of contention.
If Breeders Cup management has any brains, they will offer the reserved seats in the stands by lottery only.
This keeps out the ticket brokers. These people use these ticket buying computer programs which gobble up blocks of tickets to high demand events then places them on the resale market for 5 to 10 times face value.
What's to stop them from buying from the buyers? Nothing. Its just that with a lottery, everyone ( theoretically)has an equal chance.
Of course long time supporters of Keeneland, those that buy reserved seats every year for the meet will no doubt be screaming "hey what about me" to the BC, but in order to reduce the potential for chaos and what will no doubt be a sell out within 10 minutes of the start of the sale and then the inevitable ticket hoarding by the brokers( scalpers) the lottery would be the best way I can think of to sell tickets to the event.
Augusta National Golf Club uses a lottery for their limited number of practice and tournament round tickets and it works just fine.
Tell ya what, if they do sell tix on line and I am lucky enough to get them, I would have to look at the market to see whether or not it is more lucrative to sell those ducats at a premium and just stay home.
Just something to consider. The bottom line is after all, the bottom line.

thespaah
10-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Based om my visits, it looks to me like 20 to 25 k people is all Keeneland's main building and apron can handle.
It won't be any fun if there's no place to sit. Of if the moment you move from the spot you've had for three hours just to hit the restroom and someone moves right in tosses your program/form on the ground and when you get back they act like they have been there since Eisenhower was President.
But I really want to go to this one. It may be the only time Keeneland gets to host the BC. .

biggestal99
10-21-2014, 06:00 AM
My friend Dave and i will be at keeneland come hell or high water, keeneland couldn't be worse than the monmouth park experince.

Allan