PDA

View Full Version : That didn't take long...Ebola is here

Pages : [1] 2 3

TJDave
09-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Patient in Dallas hospital tests positive for Ebola.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-case-diagnosed-us-confirmed-cdc/story?id=25873850

EMD4ME
09-30-2014, 05:35 PM
If he or she got here by plane, that means all parties on the plane were subject to Ebola. So, we have what ? 100 , 200 travelers spreading Ebola as we speak?

Mike at A+
09-30-2014, 05:44 PM
I suggest that the American strain should be named Ebama.

RunForTheRoses
09-30-2014, 05:46 PM
If he or she got here by plane, that means all parties on the plane were subject to Ebola. So, we have what ? 100 , 200 travelers spreading Ebola as we speak?

From what I understand bodily fluids have to be exchnged. It's contagious but not That contagious.

Robert Goren
09-30-2014, 05:48 PM
The amazing thing is that it took this long.

EMD4ME
09-30-2014, 05:54 PM
From what I understand bodily fluids have to be exchnged. It's contagious but not That contagious.

That is good to know. I seriously hope whoever has this didn't become a member of the mile high club on the way here

EMD4ME
09-30-2014, 05:55 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

therussmeister
09-30-2014, 05:56 PM
No. Ebola is only spread by direct contact with body fluids and has never been known to be spread by coughing or sneezing. Also when an infected person is not showing symptoms he is not contagious. At worst only those sitting next to him, flight attendants, and the cleaning crew are at risk for developing ebola, and again, they would have to have direct contact with his body fluids.

EMD4ME
09-30-2014, 05:57 PM
No. Ebola is only spread by direct contact with body fluids and has never been known to be spread by coughing or sneezing. Also when an infected person is not showing symptoms he is not contagious. At worst only those sitting next to him, flight attendants, and the cleaning crew are at risk for developing ebola, and again, they would have to have direct contact with his body fluids.

I feel better.... no vaccine, right? No anecdote?

Robert Goren
09-30-2014, 06:00 PM
The new carrier must an illegal immigrant that snuck across the southern border with ties to either ISIS and/or al Qaeda and/or Iran. He probably had a dirty bomb with her. Eric Holder made it easier for him to cross by sending him a map showing where to cross. Issa has announced that he hold hearings on the matter.

Johnny V
09-30-2014, 07:52 PM
From what I understand it is spread not by an exchange or direct contact of bodliy fluids but by an exposure to an infected persons bodily fluid. Medical workers are being infected in Arica in spite of those suits they are wearing and anyway why are they wearing face masks to filter the air if it is not spread that way? They are still being infected. Contact with fluid can occur from any number of ways including sneezing or touching a surface that an infected person has touched. The only thing readily apparent to me at this point is that they have no idea how to combat this disease and the main concern from the government is maintain calm and to preserve it's authority and power regardless of how little they know or what lies they think they have to tell us to do so. Look at the extent at that news conference they went through to tell us that there is zero chance of this spreading, saying it over and over again. I don't believe that at this point in time for one minute.

woodtoo
09-30-2014, 08:00 PM
The new carrier must an illegal immigrant that snuck across the southern border with ties to either ISIS and/or al Qaeda and/or Iran. He probably had a dirty bomb with her. Eric Holder made it easier for him to cross by sending him a map showing where to cross. Issa has announced that he hold hearings on the matter.
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

davew
09-30-2014, 08:16 PM

why? He did leave Liberia on 9/10 and arrived in USA on 9/20 - definitely not a direct flight.

johnhannibalsmith
09-30-2014, 08:21 PM

Call headquarters, you forgot to register him to vote on the way.

cj's dad
09-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Another stellar contribution that the nation of Africa has made to the world

PaceAdvantage
09-30-2014, 11:01 PM
This must be another of Curtis' highly vaunted lessons in reality.

JustRalph
09-30-2014, 11:32 PM
Another stellar contribution that the nation of Africa has made to the world

The entire continent is in jeopardy

This could go on for years

ArlJim78
10-01-2014, 12:16 AM
President "JV Squad" 9-16-14
First and foremost, I want the American people to know that our experts, here at the CDC and across our government, agree that the chances of an Ebola outbreak here in the United States are extremely low. We’ve been taking the necessary precautions, including working with countries in West Africa to increase screening at airports so that someone with the virus doesn’t get on a plane for the United States.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-two-weeks-ago-chances-ebola-outbreak-here-extremely-low_808405.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

FantasticDan
10-01-2014, 12:26 AM
^:lol: :bang:

The man was indeed screened. He had no fever, and was not ill. Thus, he was allowed to travel here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/health/airline-passenger-with-ebola-is-under-treatment-in-dallas.html?_r=0

Blood tests for all, Obama! :rolleyes:

mostpost
10-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Another stellar contribution that the nation of Africa has made to the worldWhat is the capital of the nation of Africa?

OntheRail
10-01-2014, 01:30 AM

First and foremost, I want the American people to know that our experts, here at the CDC and across our government, agree that the chances of an Ebola outbreak here in the United States are extremely low. We’ve been taking the necessary precautions, including working with countries in West Africa to increase screening at airports so that someone with the virus doesn’t get on a plane for the United States.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-two-weeks-ago-chances-ebola-outbreak-here-extremely-low_808405.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Only missed it by that {....} much Chief. But we're safe under here. :rolleyes:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NjUov1-0KnU/SGRliLXdeTI/AAAAAAAAEZM/ZTzbev9juC8/s400/1b2.jpg

proximity
10-01-2014, 01:52 AM
What is the capital of the nation of Africa?

sandtown (Bal) ;)

I see a future where ebola is a distant memory but its drugs hit the pen backstretch and have horses running like cheetahs over hot coals. the raw time pars become tighter than a kardashian's yoga pants. eighteen year old beatties are ed bain plays within weeks of getting licensed..... :)

cj's dad
10-01-2014, 02:06 AM
This must be another of Curtis' highly vaunted lessons in reality.

That's all you got ?

cj's dad
10-01-2014, 02:07 AM
What is the capital of the nation of Africa?

North Riverside, Il

Tom
10-01-2014, 07:37 AM
^:lol: :bang:

The man was indeed screened. He had no fever, and was not ill. Thus, he was allowed to travel here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/health/airline-passenger-with-ebola-is-under-treatment-in-dallas.html?_r=0

Blood tests for all, Obama! :rolleyes:

So you're saying the screening procedures are insufficient.
Then, what did Obama base that comments on?
Or was it just next up out of his arse?

classhandicapper
10-01-2014, 09:15 AM
It didn't take a rocket scientists to figure out that if you allow people to travel to the hot zones of Africa and then back to the US it was just a matter of time before someone brought it back given that it wasn't contained in Africa.

If I didn't know better (and I actually don't), I would think the people in charge of decision making in this country are trying to destroy it. No wonder there are conspiracy theories. It's hard to imagine anyone could be this stupid.

At this point most of them should jailed for crimes against humanity, jailed for financial crimes, shot for treason, or given menial tasks that are generally reserved for the intellectually challenged.

How many people will now die because of these criminal incompetents?

FantasticDan
10-01-2014, 10:26 AM
So you're saying the screening procedures are insufficient.
Then, what did Obama base that comments on?
Or was it just next up out of his arse? :D Wednesday morning comedy from Tom, arse comment connoisseur :ThmbUp:

By all means let's step up the screening process for not just those that are sick now, but for those that will be sick in a week, or a month. Very realistic. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
10-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Call headquarters, you forgot to register him to vote on the way.Yes We did .
Update: There is now a record of him buying a machete.

Tom
10-01-2014, 10:38 AM
:D Wednesday morning comedy from Tom, arse comment connoisseur :ThmbUp:

By all means let's step up the screening process for not just those that are sick now, but for those that will be sick in a week, or a month. Very realistic. :ThmbUp:

Then laugh at your boy, Ebama, because HE is the one who said it was unlikely. I am asking based on what criteria? Obvioulsy, he has som eother plan in mind other than screening......what is it?

Do you know, or is just because HE said it it must be true?

Tom
10-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Yes We did .
Update: There is now a record of him buying a machete.

I'd think about that next time you are in the hospital.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-01-2014, 11:28 AM
I read it can take 3 weeks before showing the symptoms and capable of infecting others. Perhaps quarantining people traveling from Prime Ebola Spots to the U.S. (including returning home) for those 3 weeks needs to be considered.

boxcar
10-01-2014, 11:43 AM

What a brilliant strategy to protect to U.S. citizens: Rely on screening by who precisely? What are the screeners' medical credentials? Do the travelers get a full medical at the airport? :rolleyes: Instead of shutting down flights completely from that area of Africa, the president has chosen, instead, to play roulette -- with American people's lives. Truth is truly stranger than fiction.

Boxcar

Lono
10-01-2014, 11:47 AM
You are a genius, and very very right, for being left.

turninforhome10
10-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Having worked in and around Microbiology for 15 years as a lab tech, Ebola could not hit at worse time, in conjunction with Enterovirus D68 http://ktla.com/2014/10/01/enterovirus-d68-hits-los-angeles-county-first-case-confirmed/
I actually had a nightmare that because I work for Red Cross, I was being pulled out of the bloodbank into Ebola sick tents. Yikes. Say a little prayer that this thing does not figure out how to go airborne.
This will become a political issue that is going to make some important folks make some unpopular decisions.
What is more of a terrorist threat now a hijacked plane or a plane with 10 or 12 Ebola positive sleepers, a razor blade or a jar of concentrated virus from ready available sources.
Quarantine is the means to stop this and convincing those that are sick is a tough sell. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/ebola-outbreak/

Lono
10-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Having worked in and around Microbiology for 15 years as a lab tech, Ebola could not hit at worse time, in conjunction with Enterovirus D68 http://ktla.com/2014/10/01/enterovirus-d68-hits-los-angeles-county-first-case-confirmed/
I actually had a nightmare that because I work for Red Cross, I was being pulled out of the bloodbank into Ebola sick tents. Yikes. Say a little prayer that this thing does not figure out how to go airborne.
This will become a political issue that is going to make some important folks make some unpopular decisions.
What is more of a terrorist threat now a hijacked plane or a plane with 10 or 12 Ebola positive sleepers?
How Bad Could It Get? US Government Order Of 160,000 HazMat Suits Gives A Clue
Tyler Durden's picture
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 10/01/2014 11:17 -0400

inShare1

Now that Ebola is officially in the US on an uncontrolled basis, the two questions on everyone's lips are i) who will get sick next and ii) how bad could it get?

We don't know the answer to question #1 just yet, but when it comes to the second one, a press release three weeks ago from Lakeland Industries, a manufacturer and seller of a "comprehensive line of safety garments and accessories for the industrial protective clothing market" may provide some insight into just how bad the US State Department thinks it may get. Because when the US government buys 160,000 hazmat suits specifically designed against Ebola, just ahead of the worst Ebola epidemic in history making US landfall, one wonders: what do they know the we don't?

classhandicapper
10-01-2014, 12:09 PM
I read it can take 3 weeks before showing the symptoms and capable of infecting others. Perhaps quarantining people traveling from Prime Ebola Spots to the U.S. (including returning home) for those 3 weeks needs to be considered.

Every civilized country in the world with an IQ higher than a Pet Rock should have considered and then implemented something like that 5 minutes after they realized they didn't have in contained in Africa. That was weeks ago.

This was not a very low risk and very low downside situation.

This was a very low risk and extremely high downside situation.

We need someone in power that understands the difference.

We just hit the BAD Pick 6 on a carryover day. Let's pray they contain it here.

PaceAdvantage
10-01-2014, 12:20 PM
That's all you got ?All I need...

boxcar
10-01-2014, 01:08 PM
What is more of a terrorist threat now a hijacked plane or a plane with 10 or 12 Ebola positive sleepers, a razor blade or a jar of concentrated virus from ready available sources.
Quarantine is the means to stop this and convincing those that are sick is a tough sell. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/ebola-outbreak/

Maybe this is what OBamBam was hoping and praying for. Aftrer all, Libs love a good crisis. And it couldn't come at a better time since presidential elections are only two years out. I think one of the Republican presidential hopefuls expressed doubts that elections will be held in 2016 because he thought the U.S. would be under martial law by then. So...to Obama's way of thinking -- just let those Africans (healthy or otherwise) keep on coming -- and of course, Hope for the worst so that he can bring big Changes!

Boxcar

classhandicapper
10-01-2014, 01:24 PM
The democrats have already proved conclusively they are not qualified to make decisions on any important issues for this country, but I do think they serve a useful purpose.

When the adults in the room grow weary of making tough decisions a little levity from the children in the room can help improve the mood or at least make the adults laugh and relieve their stress.

FantasticDan
10-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Maybe this is what OBamBam was hoping and praying for. Aftrer all, Libs love a good crisis. And it couldn't come at a better time since presidential elections are only two years out. I think one of the Republican presidential hopefuls expressed doubts that elections will be held in 2016 because he thought the U.S. would be under martial law by then. So...to Obama's way of thinking -- just let those Africans (healthy or otherwise) keep on coming -- and of course, Hope for the worst so that he can bring big Changes!
bd2B6SjMh_w

PaceAdvantage
10-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Oh come now FD. You know darn well that if GWB were still president, some on the far left would speculate that this Ebola thing is being intentionally carried out to further the neocon agenda of eroding even more personal freedoms and civil liberties in the name of protection from this deadly disease...

You know it...I know it...Bob Dole knows it...

It doesn't matter which party is in power. The other side will invent whatever it wishes in order to discredit and paint as evil the opposition.

Clocker
10-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Oh come now FD. You know darn well that if GWB were still president, some on the far left would speculate that this Ebola thing is being intentionally carried out to further the neocon agenda of eroding even more personal freedoms and civil liberties in the name of protection from this deadly disease...

How can you even hint at such a thing? :eek:

Without mentioning Dick Cheney? :p

Dave Schwartz
10-01-2014, 01:40 PM
I seriously hope whoever has this didn't become a member of the mile high club on the way here

Probably not very likely. :lol:

(Cue image of "The Captain" from the Captain Phillips movie getting lucky on an airplane ride.)

no vaccine, right? No anecdote?

Oh, you are killing me here.

:lol: :lol:

FantasticDan
10-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Oh come now FD. You know darn well that if GWB were still president, some on the far left would speculate that this Ebola thing is being intentionally carried out to further the neocon agenda of eroding even more personal freedoms and civil liberties in the name of protection from this deadly disease...You know it...I know it...Bob Dole knows it...
NMNgbISmF4I

PaceAdvantage
10-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Bob Dole knows Dan...Bob Dole knows...

boxcar
10-01-2014, 02:04 PM
bd2B6SjMh_w

You're not looking too well there, FanDan. Hope you're feeling better than you look. But if not, you should look into getting that situation Changed.

Boxcar

mostpost
10-01-2014, 03:09 PM
why? He did leave Liberia on 9/10 and arrived in USA on 9/20 - definitely not a direct flight.
Perhaps a visit to the optometrist is in order. Copied from the article:
the patient left Liberia on Sept 19 and arrived in the U.S. on Sept. 20. The patient sought medical help on Sept. 27 and was put in isolation on Sept. 28, Frieden said.

He left Liberia on September 19, not Sept. 10. It very well could have been a single flight, but that is irrelevant since he showed no symptoms until the 24th.

mostpost
10-01-2014, 03:12 PM
I heard that this particular strain was actually developed by Obama in a secret laboratory in the White House Basement. All of us liberals have already taken the vaccine. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Clocker
10-01-2014, 03:15 PM
All of us liberals have already taken the vaccine.

I heard it was in grape Kool Aid. Good luck with that.

PaceAdvantage
10-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Why was it particularly necessary to allow people to travel from Liberia into the US given the current goings on over there regarding Ebola?

Would it have been so terrible to say nobody from Liberia is allowed here for the next 30-60 days?

Tom
10-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by mostpost
All of us liberals have already taken the vaccine.

Which one?
The one for common sense?

EMD4ME
10-01-2014, 07:00 PM
The Ebola patient went to the hospital and was mistreated (they thought he had just the flu and released him with antibiotics). So he had another 2 days to infect people, including the hospital staff before he came back again to the hospital. A VERY GOOD CHANCE OTHERS ARE INFECTED AND DONT KNOW IT & IF THATS THE CASE, I AM SURE A FULL FLEDGED OUTBREAK is on our hands.

turninforhome10
10-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Why was it particularly necessary to allow people to travel from Liberia into the US given the current goings on over there regarding Ebola?

Would it have been so terrible to say nobody from Liberia is allowed here for the next 30-60 days?
Exactly. A family from Liberia lives in the apartment right next to mine and they have new family popping in all the time. Should I be nervous?

boxcar
10-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Exactly. A family from Liberia lives in the apartment right next to mine and they have new family popping in all the time. Should I be nervous?

Nah. The CDC says everything is in control. They wouldn't lie, would they?

Boxcar

turninforhome10
10-01-2014, 09:14 PM
And here we go.......http://www.voanews.com/content/in-dallas-us-health-experts-review-potential-ebola-exposure/2468674.html

The doctor who saw this patient the first time should be dismissed:
Can not imagine how with that history that the flu and dismissal with antibiotics would even be an option. " I am fresh from Liberia and am having flu-like symptoms"......WTF... Should have been placed in isolation immediately and not released until screening test confirm or deny Ebola. This is where this will get out of hand. Can't deny people their liberties. right?

ArlJim78
10-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Unlike other competent countries, the sum total of our administrations actions to keep people exposed to Ebola out of the country is just what most of us expected. NOTHING.

Immigration-Expert-Obama-John-Kerry-HHS-DHS-Secretaries-Personally-Responsible-For-Not-Stopping-Ebola-Patient-Getting-Into-U-S (http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/01/Immigration-Expert-Obama-John-Kerry-HHS-DHS-Secretaries-Personally-Responsible-For-Not-Stopping-Ebola-Patient-Getting-Into-U-S/)

Vaughan points to federal law--the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)--which she notes gives the administration “broad authority” to bar non-citizens like Thomas Eric Duncan, the first Ebola patient allowed into the U.S., from entering the country. The administration took no steps pursuant to that federal law, however, to block people like him from potentially endangering Americans.

So what you have to do is set up a system of screening to make sure people you’re allowing to travel into the country are clear," she explained. "We’ve done that with some of these other diseases in the past-and the way they do that is every visa issuing post has local doctors that they work with who will screen people who get immigrant visas to make sure they don’t have tuberculosis or leprosy or other diseases. You could similarly require that people who want to travel here on visitor’s visas go through a medical screening and put the burden of proof on the traveler to show they are not infected and are not carrying the disease.

PaceAdvantage
10-01-2014, 11:22 PM
They can read every email and listen in on every phone conversation, but they can't figure out how to keep potentially infected Liberians out of the country...somehow I doubt there are a flood of Liberians trying to enter the country every day, overwhelming the system...this one should have been a no brainer...maybe the conspiracy theorists are onto something again... :bang:

davew
10-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Perhaps a visit to the optometrist is in order. Copied from the article:
the patient left Liberia on Sept 19 and arrived in the U.S. on Sept. 20. The patient sought medical help on Sept. 27 and was put in isolation on Sept. 28, Frieden said.

He left Liberia on September 19, not Sept. 10. It very well could have been a single flight, but that is irrelevant since he showed no symptoms until the 24th.

they changed the story ->

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this story said the patient left Liberia on Sept. 10. The patient left on Sept. 19.

JustRalph
10-02-2014, 12:57 AM
People calling for heads at the hospital. A nurse supposedly forgot to tell the doctor the patient was from Africa. The chart had been seized by the Feds.

Around noon today the local radio stations announced where the kids who were exposed went to school. Multiple parents rushed to the schools (five different schools) and pulled their kids and demanded that all the kids be identified.

The local radio is reporting that patient zero contracted the disease after helping care for his neighbors. Including helping an infected brother and sister who lived next to him. They became so weak that he helped them into a cab and went to a hospital. During the cab ride the brother died and he dragged the dead man into the hospital. The next day the sister also died. He then flew to the US two days later.

I surmise that he was fleeing here for better treatment, realizing he had been exposed.

**Note: I heard this on a local radio show in Dallas tonight. I cannot vouch for the truthfulness.

PaceAdvantage
10-02-2014, 01:00 AM
I can only assume someone from that part of the world was allowed to stroll into the USA unchecked on purpose.

I mean, seriously. We have cops pulling over people for texting, but we can't stop a guy from freaking EBOLA GROUND ZERO from entering the USA?

And how the hell do we know all this back story about him? Dragging an Ebola-ridden body to the hospital? Is he admitting all of this? How does the local radio show know all this detail?

JustRalph
10-02-2014, 01:11 AM
I don't know. But I just heard on another radio outlet (different than the one above) that when he was originally sent home the first trip he vomited in the taxi on the way home and they have now taken the cab out of service, although it was used for two more days

:bang:

PaceAdvantage
10-02-2014, 01:15 AM
I have a feeling the next thing you're going to tell me is he just happened to saunter into a Coca-Cola bottling plant and took a leak into the next batch waiting to be mixed and shipped all over the US...in both bottles and cans...plus the concentrated syrups sold to fast food joints... :rolleyes:

I mean seriously...this story keeps getting more and more unbelievable by the moment...

JustRalph
10-02-2014, 01:18 AM
Next I expect to hear he had a kissing booth at the Texas State Fair

http://www.pjstrickshop.com/images/7130.jpg

PaceAdvantage
10-02-2014, 01:19 AM
Next I expect to hear he had a kissing booth at the Texas State Fair

http://www.escapade.co.uk/fun-costumes-sale/kissing-booth-costume-16952.aspYours was better... :ThmbUp:

Mike at A+
10-02-2014, 08:54 AM
I heard that this particular strain was actually developed by Obama in a secret laboratory in the White House Basement.
0bama couldn't mix chocolate milk without the aid of his teleprompter.

JustRalph
10-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Over 100 being monitored now

Family is refusing to cooperate. Sheriff posted at their door.

I'm guessing all are illegal, overstayed visa types maybe. That would be a reason they want to leave

JustRalph
10-02-2014, 04:07 PM
This guy deserves to go to jail. The more that comes out, the worse it gets

http://bit.ly/1vAe0R0

PaceAdvantage
10-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Open border policies and you...perfect together... :rolleyes:

Tom
Obama - not likely to happen here.

RUN!

classhandicapper
Family is refusing to cooperate. Sheriff posted at their door.

I'm guessing all are illegal, overstayed visa types maybe. That would be a reason they want to leave

Why would being an illegal be a problem for them?

They are probably eligible for more benefits than many Americans and will be given amnesty by executive order as soon as the election is over anyway.

Clocker
10-02-2014, 04:18 PM
A blast from the past: (https://grabien.com/story.php?id=15279) Senator Obama rips Bush for not being prepared for the avian flu.

FantasticDan
10-02-2014, 04:36 PM
So, to summarize: until further notice, nobody from Africa should be allowed to travel to the US, regardless of if they're sick or not. This is the action Obama should be taking. Correct?

JustRalph
10-02-2014, 04:43 PM
So, to summarize: until further notice, nobody from Africa should be allowed to travel to the US, regardless of if they're sick or not. This is the action Obama should be taking. Correct?

It was called for in the beginning. Of course hindsight is 20/20

boxcar
10-02-2014, 04:48 PM

Now, you're catching on. Congratulations. :ThmbUp:

FantasticDan
10-02-2014, 04:52 PM
It was called for in the beginning. Of course hindsight is 20/20Called for by who? Politicians? Radio show hosts? Forum posters?

FantasticDan
10-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Now, you're catching on. Congratulations. :ThmbUp:Now if only they could extend that ban for the next, oh, 50 or so years, then you'd be really excited! :jump: :ThmbUp:

Mike at A+
10-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Wouldn't that be RAAAAAAAAAAAAACIST?

In a more practical scenario they should be screened BEFORE getting on the plane to the land of opportunity. Then again, 0bama would have Rev. Al to answer to if he was in favor of that.

WE ARE SO F***ED all because of this idiot.

PaceAdvantage
10-02-2014, 05:21 PM
So, to summarize: until further notice, nobody from Africa should be allowed to travel to the US, regardless of if they're sick or not. This is the action Obama should be taking. Correct?From Africa the entire continent? Absolutely not, and I never suggested such a thing.

But from the three hot spot countries, one of them most definitely being Liberia?

That would be a no-brainer.

Or would it be impossible to exist during a 30-60 day travel ban on Liberia? Would our economy go to shambles if such a ban were in place? Would the world be thrown into tumult?

Sometimes you're as stubborn and foolish as those you constantly rail against (in your own subtle way of course).

PaceAdvantage
10-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Wouldn't that be RAAAAAAAAAAAAACIST?

In a more practical scenario they should be screened BEFORE getting on the plane to the land of opportunity. Then again, 0bama would have Rev. Al to answer to if he was in favor of that.

WE ARE SO F***ED all because of this idiot.They were supposedly screened. And that proved to be quite effective as we have seen.

This is a disease that can be carried, apparently, for quite a number of days before symptoms show up, so plenty of potentially sick people can appear perfectly healthy, arrive here, and then get sick (as well as contagious).

That's why it would have been prudent to institute a travel ban on anyone entering this country from Liberia for a decent amount of time (a couple of months at least).

boxcar
10-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Now if only they could extend that ban for the next, oh, 50 or so years, then you'd be really excited! :jump: :ThmbUp:

The only thing that would justify such a protracted ban would be a completely out of control epidemic of catastrophic and apocalyptic proportions. But if that were to happen, it would be too late for the entire planet, anyway. It would spread by and through other nations who failed to enact such a ban.

Boxcar

FantasticDan
10-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Sometimes you're as stubborn and foolish as those you constantly rail against (in your own subtle way of course).I asked a question that I legitimately wanted the answer to, namely what "Obama" should have done (or be doing) better to prevent the disease from entering the country.

You say it's a no-brainer that the US should ban travelers from African hot-spots.. so why is neither the WHO or CDC or any health org calling for that? If anything, they've even said that travel restrictions in this case do more harm than good. No nation besides a small handful within Africa have banned travelers from hot-spots, and even those bans are being lifted.

JustRalph
10-02-2014, 06:06 PM
I asked a question that I legitimately wanted the answer to, namely what "Obama" should have done (or be doing) better to prevent the disease from entering the country.

You say it's a no-brainer that the US should ban travelers from African hot-spots.. so why is neither the WHO or CDC or any health org calling for that? If anything, they've even said that travel restrictions in this case do more harm than good. No nation besides a small handful within Africa have banned travelers from hot-spots, and even those bans are being lifted.

Maybe this is why they didn't call for it?

http://www.wnd.com/2014/10/obama-dumped-bush-era-quarantine-proposal/

classhandicapper
10-02-2014, 06:41 PM

You close off travel from all the hot spots in Africa to the US and you also do not permit anyone with a passport from any of those countries to enter the US via another country. That way, let's say someone leaves a hot spot and goes to a European without such restrictions, we demand that the airlines not accept passengers from those countries to the US if they have a targeted passport.

That won't eliminate the risk, but it will LOWER it. Lowering it is what you want to accomplish given the downside is so huge.

The economic impact would be so small you couldn't even measure it.

ArlJim78
10-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Taking a wait and see hands off approach is not the best course either.

Are you arguing that under no circumstances should we ever consider a travel ban? What if this thing continues to escalate, what if down the line there is a widespread Ebola breakout in this country? Do we still keep the door open? If not please define the point at which you put the ban in place, as in how many Ebola deaths in the US would it take for you to say "you know what, it's time to ban people from those countries".
10, 1,000, 10,000, more?

ArlJim78
10-02-2014, 06:56 PM
by the way, a number of African countries already have travel bans in place for that region. I guess they're just racist, or something.

nijinski
10-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Travel from Liberia and actually most of West Africa should have been
banned months ago .This is a disgrace that this deadly virus should not
have been considered a serious health threat that could easily be transported to the US .

Top researchers from the CDC well know the potential of mutating strain changes . Someone is telling them not to evoke panic ..

We can only hope Washington is scrambling to keep us safe !

JustRalph
10-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Hey, they screened him.......come on? Here's the proof. It's infection theater.....just like the TSA

JustRalph
10-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Travel from Liberia and actually most of West Africa should have been
banned months ago .This is a disgrace that this deadly virus should not
have been considered a serious health threat that could easily be transported to the US .

Top researchers from the CDC well know the potential of mutating strain changes . Someone is telling them not to evoke panic ..

We can only hope Washington is scrambling to keep us safe !

Washington is scrambling to do one thing.........prop up the legacy of a fool

FantasticDan
10-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Washington is scrambling to do one thing.........prop up the legacy of a fool :D Focus Ralph, focus. I know it's tough to contain the hate, but stay on target. :ThmbUp:

Tom
10-02-2014, 09:19 PM
I asked a question that I legitimately wanted the answer to, namely what "Obama" should have done (or be doing) better to prevent the disease from entering the country.

For one thing, kept his mouth shut about it not likely to ever come here.
He was talking out of his ass. He can't even keep nuts out of the White house.
No his role, shut his hole.

For another thing, stop allowing unfettered access to the country by anyone who wants to walk in.

Tom
10-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Called for by who? Politicians? Radio show hosts? Forum posters?

People who live in the real world, not in the political one.
What's next, he will tell us that those with Ebola are not Islamic?

horses4courses
10-02-2014, 09:25 PM
http://media2.giphy.com/media/LCjryK3qu5lD2/200_s.gif

We're all going to die!!!

Just not from Ebola.......

Tom
10-02-2014, 09:49 PM

Speaking on the Senate floor in October 2005, then-Senator Obama blasted the Bush Administration for being insufficiently prepared to deal with the Avian flu. "Although we have begun to step up to the plate in the Senate," Obama said, "the Administration has still not released the final HHS Pandemic Flu Preparedness Plan."

Does Obama have a plan like this one in place?

This lack of planning is compounded by the fact that we still don’t have a FDA approved vaccine against avian flu,
Do we have a vaccine?

That Obama, what a scare-mongerer. :rolleyes:

Mike at A+
10-02-2014, 09:51 PM
The legacy ...

FantasticDan
10-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Do we have a vaccine?

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/ebola-vaccine-why-its-taking-so-long-make-one-n216586

horses4courses
10-02-2014, 10:32 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/ebola-vaccine-why-its-taking-so-long-make-one-n216586

Ahh, but of course.......

"It's a lot of time, effort and money to develop something like an Ebola vaccine with little guarantee of a profit,"

FantasticDan
10-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Oh come now, big pharma is nothing if not altruistic :cool:

Rwahi1
10-02-2014, 11:36 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2014, 12:54 AM

Just not from Ebola.......I told that to the Katrina victims, yet they still blamed Bush...weird...

Tom
10-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Oh come now, big pharma is nothing if not altruistic :cool:

How much did you kick in?
They are a business.
Feel free to step up and invest billions in a losing product.

And, I guess the answer is no....so Obama is no better off than bush.
God, how you spin - just admit it - NO, we don't.

Tom
10-03-2014, 07:28 AM
I told that to the Katrina victims, yet they still blamed Bush...weird...

Bush - that the guy who told them to evacuate two days before it hit?

Johnny V
10-03-2014, 08:03 AM
The more I read about this Ebola virus the worse it gets. They are not telling us the whole story. Ebola is also transmitted in the semen of course and transmission of Ebola to a sexual partner has occured 7 weeks after a male patient had been cured and free of all symptoms. What about those people who have been "cured" in the US and have been sent home with their wives and families or significant others. Just one more reason this thing had been so hard to eradicate everywhere and is a very significant danger to us all.

Tom
10-03-2014, 12:43 PM
How much did you kick in?
They are a business.
Feel free to step up and invest billions in a losing product.

And, I guess the answer is no....so Obama is no better off than bush.
God, how you spin - just admit it - NO, we don't.

So, the guy who has Ebola.....the hospital STILL has not cleaned up after he was there - they can't find a cleaning crew.

Does Obama's great plan have a cleaning crew in it? :lol::lol::lol:

No plan, no vaccine, no cleaning crews, but BUSH was unprepared for Avian Flu....:lol::lol::lol: You guys kill me......

_______
10-03-2014, 02:31 PM
If you restrict access into the U.S for anyone who has travelled in a region where Ebola is active, you discourage health workers from traveling to those regions to help.

I think that is actually the opposite of what you want to do with a localized pandemic. You have a smoldering brush fire in West Africa. You should be doing everything possible to put it out there before it spreads further.

I understand there is a lot of fear surrounding this disease. But the likelihood of its spread in the U.S. is not the same as it is in West Africa for a number of reasons.

The U.S. isn't a direct parallel to West Africa.

classhandicapper
10-03-2014, 02:43 PM
If you restrict access into the U.S for anyone who has travelled in a region where Ebola is active, you discourage health workers from traveling to those regions to help.

I think that is actually the opposite of what you want to do with a localized pandemic. You have a smoldering brush fire in West Africa. You should be doing everything possible to put it out there before it spreads further.

I understand there is a lot of fear surrounding this disease. But the likelihood of its spread in the U.S. is not the same as it is in West Africa for a number of reasons.

The U.S. isn't a direct parallel to West Africa.

What you are saying about the probability of it spreading is true, but it misses the major point I made yesterday.

The appropriate action is not dependent on just the probability of something bad happening. It's also dependent on the downside if it does. The downside of ebola is extreme even if the probability is very low.

Besides who says we can't make different rules for health care providers that are adequately protected and screened.

JustRalph
10-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Glad you can only catch it from fluids. I guess the guy must have been in this car

_______
10-03-2014, 03:14 PM
What you are saying about the probability of it spreading is true, but it misses the major point I made yesterday.

The appropriate action is not dependent on just the probability of something bad happening. It's also dependent on the downside if it does. The downside of ebola is extreme even if the probability is very low.

Besides who says we can't make different rules for health care providers that are adequately protected and screened.

In measuring potential downsides, Cholera presents a much higher risk than Ebola. It can be spread through drinking supplies vs. Ebola only having the ability to spread through direct contact with bodily fluids.

There are many communicable diseases that are fatal. The worst case scenario for Ebola in the U.S. is less than that of Cholera.

We've managed quite well dealing with Cholera. We'll get through Ebola equally well.

tucker6
10-03-2014, 03:26 PM
The more I read about this Ebola virus the worse it gets. They are not telling us the whole story. Ebola is also transmitted in the semen of course and transmission of Ebola to a sexual partner has occured 7 weeks after a male patient had been cured and free of all symptoms. What about those people who have been "cured" in the US and have been sent home with their wives and families or significant others. Just one more reason this thing had been so hard to eradicate everywhere and is a very significant danger to us all.
You need to take a deep breath. Ebola is relatively hard to catch.

classhandicapper
10-03-2014, 03:41 PM
In measuring potential downsides, Cholera presents a much higher risk than Ebola. It can be spread through drinking supplies vs. Ebola only having the ability to spread through direct contact with bodily fluids.

There are many communicable diseases that are fatal. The worst case scenario for Ebola in the U.S. is less than that of Cholera.

We've managed quite well dealing with Cholera. We'll get through Ebola equally well.

There is the probability of something spreading and there is the implications of it spreading.

The chances of me catching a cold in the winter on the NY subway is very high, but we aren't going to screen people and prevent them from riding because the worst case is 7 days of mild discomfort.

Yes, we are very likely to get through this ebola outbreak relatively unscathed in the US. The chances of me ever catching ebola are extremely low, but the downside is a high probability of death and a nightmare even if I survive. It's kind of like betting your entire net worth on Wise Dan. Sooner or later he's going to lose.

Cholera is also dangerous, but the probability of death is way lower and there are existing treatments readily available. However, if cholera was running wild in some country it would probably be wise to be proactive about people coming here in that case also.

When the downside of something is extreme, you must be proactive no matter how low the probability of it happening because sooner or later it will happen unless do everything you can within reason to reduce that probability to as close to zero as you can.

ArlJim78
10-03-2014, 03:44 PM
It's not the worst imaginable threat to us but I think what makes it dangerous is the degree of over confidence in our ability to manage this, or a similar contagion. All our systems are terribly fragile and with the current exponential rate of growth in Africa it makes it a concern if that rate of growth isn't halted very soon. The overall number of cases is relatively low right now, but the rate of spread is alarming and demands attention.

_______
10-03-2014, 04:37 PM
The kind of communicable disease I worry about is one that spreads via the air from non-symptomatic carriers.

Ebola meets neither of those criteria.

The "worst case scenario" in the U.S. might be hundreds of thousands of extremely careless and ill informed people become sick. The chance of that happening is so close to zero that I don't really see any daylight between the two.

Don't clean up vomit or bloody sheets and you will probably survive the coming Ebola apocalypse.

Clocker
10-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Glad you can only catch it from fluids. I guess the guy must have been in this car

Is that how they detail a car in West Africa? :eek:

fast4522
10-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Hey JR, close to home?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/health/ebola-us/index.html

JustRalph
10-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Hey JR, close to home?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/health/ebola-us/index.html

Several miles from me, but this town is starting to get very angry. Rumors abound. The latest rumor repeated on radio today is that a relative escaped quarantine and is missing. That is what brought the sheriff to guard their door and issue an order to stay in place.

The head of the firefighters union is screaming like a stuck pig because apparently four fireman entered the apartment without hazmat gear, on day one.

The original hazmat crew that was hired entered the apt and for some reason refused to clean it. They quit the job. Then it took two days to hire another crew that came from out of state? Tons of rumors. Who knows what is true.

The Dallas county prosecutors office went public today with a threat of charges against patient zero. Heard two attorneys on radio today. Both called in to say that that there is no statute in Texas that applies to the guy. Federal charges based on lying to the airlines is what everybody is speculating.

There six schools at last count that have kids exposed to the guy. Attendance is down 13% at the schools. It's a mess

Mike at A+
10-03-2014, 09:41 PM

Tom
10-03-2014, 11:14 PM

Yes, but, wouldn't taking a deep breath make it easier to catch???

tucker6
10-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Yes, but, wouldn't taking a deep breath make it easier to catch???
haha. Only if the guy spit in your mouth at the same time. I know, gross thought.

I'm taking the same approach I used during the Avian Flu and other similar scares. The govt and media create mass hysteria to continue the control process of the populace, and most fall for it every single time. Is Ebola deadly? Sure. Will it ever be able to become an epidemic or pandemic with its transmission form(s)? Nope. Relatively simple precautions can stop its progression. The only time I think about Ebola is when I'm reading this thread.

Robert Goren
10-04-2014, 10:30 AM
The way the locals in Texas has handled this has been a joke from day one and as more time passed they are getting worse. It is like no body has listen to a news broadcast in weeks. The Feds are not much better. I would like to think that Nebraskans would do better than Texas, but I am not sure. The good news is that when we bring back somebody we know has it, they do a good job. UNO med center in Omaha has just gotten it second patient. The first has made a full recovery. It appears that they have a some sort of treatment for those get it. Whether that treatment can be applied on mass scale is another question.

classhandicapper
10-04-2014, 10:37 AM
The kind of communicable disease I worry about is one that spreads via the air from non-symptomatic carriers.

Ebola meets neither of those criteria.

The "worst case scenario" in the U.S. might be hundreds of thousands of extremely careless and ill informed people become sick. The chance of that happening is so close to zero that I don't really see any daylight between the two.

Don't clean up vomit or bloody sheets and you will probably survive the coming Ebola apocalypse.

If it was airborne then the appropriate preventive measures should be far more extreme than limiting immigration.

You seem to be poo pooing this because of the low probability of anyone dying, but you wouldn't be if among the handful of Americans that died was one your loved ones and it could have prevented with stricter measures.

DJofSD
10-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Wow, the amount of BS, misinformation and conjecture in this thread is amazing.

JustRalph
10-04-2014, 11:33 AM

You ought to be living in Dallas......it's amazing.....and the media.....mostly TV is fueling it. 24/7 Ebola coverage

DJofSD
10-04-2014, 11:40 AM
You ought to be living in Dallas......it's amazing.....and the media.....mostly TV is fueling it. 24/7 Ebola coverage
Oh, I can imagine. From what I've seen on TV for both local and national coverage along with the radio, I am aghast.

One clue that I guess a lot of people missed was when the CDC actually changed their story about how close and in what circumstances you could be around a person suspected of having the virus. Couple that with the fact the two doctors which were extracted to the US for treatment were following a strict protocol and were using protective gear and they still some how caught it.

ElKabong
10-04-2014, 02:46 PM

Amen, brother.

Never knew we had so many distinguished Post Doctoral types posting in Off Topic. Boy did I learn a lot from reading this thread (roll eyes)

tucker6
10-04-2014, 02:47 PM
You seem to be poo pooing this because of the low probability of anyone dying, but you wouldn't be if among the handful of Americans that died was one your loved ones and it could have prevented with stricter measures.
You know I love you man, but this is one of your worst posts ever. Pulling out the "if this was your loved one" canard. Please! Fact is very few loved ones will die. There is every reason to poo poo extreme measures across the board in the face of a "low probability of anyone dying". Take full measures for known cases and contacts, but let common sense take over for most. You of all people should know better than to trust the govt's judgement on anything. It is usually heavy handed and one size fits all. Ebola is deadly, but limited in its ability to spread easily.

As for another poster telling stories about it spreading, I remember reading stories about AIDS spreading by sitting on toilet seats too, but that was later debunked. The Ebola virus must spread via bodily fluids in direct contact with another person. Use safety precautions such as gloves , face masks, and long sleeves, and your chances of getting the disease even while living with an Ebola patient goes waaay down.

DJofSD
10-04-2014, 03:10 PM
You know I love you man, but this is one of your worst posts ever. Pulling out the "if this was your loved one" canard. Please! Fact is very few loved ones will die. There is every reason to poo poo extreme measures across the board in the face of a "low probability of anyone dying". Take full measures for known cases and contacts, but let common sense take over for most. You of all people should know better than to trust the govt's judgement on anything. It is usually heavy handed and one size fits all. Ebola is deadly, but limited in its ability to spread easily.

As for another poster telling stories about it spreading, I remember reading stories about AIDS spreading by sitting on toilet seats too, but that was later debunked. The Ebola virus must spread via bodily fluids in direct contact with another person. Use safety precautions such as gloves , face masks, and long sleeves, and your chances of getting the disease even while living with an Ebola patient goes waaay down.

First, it sounds like you assume whatever treatment would be rendered, it would be done in the usual way. Wrong.

Next, if there is any kind of outbreak where the suspicions are Ebola, there is not going to be enough facilities to care for more than a small handful of people in any one location.

As to Ebola's ability to spread, do you understand it is still not known where the virus comes from and how people get infected when there is a new outbreak? Sure, it's out there in the environment but if you know anything about the cycles of the outbreaks, you know those outbreaks come and then they go. How does a new outbreak begin?

Yes, initially some stories about AIDS being spread on toilet seats were being foisted on the ill-informed public. Even back in the 1970's politically correctness did no one any good. Political correctness is playing a part in these events too.

fast4522
10-04-2014, 03:12 PM
The way the locals in Texas has handled this has been a joke from day one and as more time passed they are getting worse. It is like no body has listen to a news broadcast in weeks. The Feds are not much better. I would like to think that Nebraskans would do better than Texas, but I am not sure. The good news is that when we bring back somebody we know has it, they do a good job. UNO med center in Omaha has just gotten it second patient. The first has made a full recovery. It appears that they have a some sort of treatment for those get it. Whether that treatment can be applied on mass scale is another question.

The best treatment would have prevented these people from coming here at all. Our best interests are not aligned with policy's that are in place. It will take a monumental mistake to make the American people wake up to the fact that policy is against the middle class across the board.

DJofSD
10-04-2014, 03:16 PM
The best treatment would have prevented these people from coming here at all. Our best interests are not aligned with policy's that are in place. It will take a monumental mistake to make the American people wake up to the fact that policy is against the middle class across the board.
The policies for dealing with such a problem were change recently. What we have now is a joke.

And, while other countries are cancelling flights and taking prudent measures, we're being told those measures really won't make any difference. Just another example of how the current posturing by authorities in this country is too clever by half.

JustRalph
10-04-2014, 03:18 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/04/sick-passenger-removed-from-united-flight-by-medical-personnel-in-hazmat-suits/

This had to look great at the airport

Clocker
10-04-2014, 03:27 PM
And, while other countries are cancelling flights and taking prudent measures, we're being told those measures really won't make any difference.

My God, man, some of those things would likely offend someone. :eek:

DJofSD
10-04-2014, 03:36 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/04/sick-passenger-removed-from-united-flight-by-medical-personnel-in-hazmat-suits/

This had to look great at the airport
Thanks.

FYI: http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/air/managing-sick-travelers/ebola-guidance-airlines.html

tucker6
10-04-2014, 04:17 PM
First, it sounds like you assume whatever treatment would be rendered, it would be done in the usual way. Wrong.

Next, if there is any kind of outbreak where the suspicions are Ebola, there is not going to be enough facilities to care for more than a small handful of people in any one location.

As to Ebola's ability to spread, do you understand it is still not known where the virus comes from and how people get infected when there is a new outbreak? Sure, it's out there in the environment but if you know anything about the cycles of the outbreaks, you know those outbreaks come and then they go. How does a new outbreak begin?

Yes, initially some stories about AIDS being spread on toilet seats were being foisted on the ill-informed public. Even back in the 1970's politically correctness did no one any good. Political correctness is playing a part in these events too.
I assume nothing. You are the one assuming. Bats are considered the most likely source of the virus. The original 1976 Ebola outbreak was thought to have been due to bats infecting animals that the locals then ate. The whole disease transmission sort of reminds me of rabies to some degree although I know they are not exactly the same.

Tom
10-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by DJofSD

And, while other countries are cancelling flights and taking prudent measures, we're being told those measures really won't make any difference.

Other countries are run by leaders.
We have a community organizer who is one total dumb-ass.
Would you, seriously, take ANY advice Obama gave you, under any circumstances? The man is an idiot.

This guy is so stupid BIDEN is his number 2 guy. (But Obama will always be number 2 to me).

DJofSD
10-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Since you are basically at ground zero, perhaps you have heard of a confirmation of Ebola for the Liberian. I expect the initial confirmation was due to a differential diagnose but there should be a confirmation from a lab test pretty soon.

JustRalph
10-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Since you are basically at ground zero, perhaps you have heard of a confirmation of Ebola for the Liberian. I expect the initial confirmation was due to a differential diagnose but there should be a confirmation from a lab test pretty soon.

After his first visit to hospital Friday night? given antibiotics and sent home. 2 days later couldn't get out of bed after vomiting for 2 days straight. Came back to hospital via 911 ambulance.

Then the samples were sent to CDC lab

DJofSD
10-04-2014, 04:42 PM
After his first visit to hospital Friday night? given antibiotics and sent home. 2 days later couldn't get out of bed after vomiting for 2 days straight. Came back to hospital via 911 ambulance.

Then the samples were sent to CDC lab
Yes, and, it has been long enough for the CDC to run tests using PCR or even ELISA for a confirmation.

Here (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3437705/figure/F2/) is a link to an old article about the outbreak in 2011 and specifically the timeline. See where on 4/9 the sample was received and on 4/12 there was a positive finding made. That's 3 days and I believe the CDC has had the samples from the Liberian in Dallas for that long.

classhandicapper
10-04-2014, 07:48 PM
You know I love you man, but this is one of your worst posts ever. Pulling out the "if this was your loved one" canard. Please! Fact is very few loved ones will die.

I have conceded it's likely very few Americans are going to die. But I don't want anyone to die given that limiting the number of infected people coming here would be easy to accomplish and have very little economic cost. As I've already said, if by chance the longshot comes in and we lose control of it and thousands die, it will seem preposterous that we didn't simply not allow flights from the hot zones or by people with passports from those places in case they flew elsewhere first.

tucker6
10-04-2014, 08:08 PM
I have conceded it's likely very few Americans are going to die. But I don't want anyone to die given that limiting the number of infected people coming here would be easy to accomplish and have very little economic cost. As I've already said, if by chance the longshot comes in and we lose control of it and thousands die, it will seem preposterous that we didn't simply not allow flights from the hot zones or by people with passports from those places in case they flew elsewhere first.
If this was the limit to what your position is, then I apologize for what I said. I agree with it. I thought you were talking about the more extreme positions being advocated by some for use on US citizens here.

_______
10-04-2014, 08:24 PM
I think a better analog for the United States would be the experience Nigeria has had since Ebola broke out next door.

There have been a few cases of people coming in from outside carrying the infection, including in the capital Lagos.

Nigeria has better healthcare infrastructure than does Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone although it pales in comparison to our own. Nonetheless, if someone becomes ill in Nigeria there will be a hospital bed available and competent medical help ready to treat.

They also have relatively clean water available along with chlorine and soap. Nowhere near the quantity and distribution of safe water we have but much better than what is found in rural Liberia.

Next door to where the outbreak continues, there have been 8 deaths in Nigeria from Ebola.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from believing what they want. Maybe expressing concerns on here helps ameliorate them.

But use some perspective when evaluating the risk this poses. It isn't the Black Death and we aren't living in medieval Europe.

nijinski
10-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Nothing wrong with being proactive !
It's not like this disease hasn't taken many lives. It saddens me to see
the photos of young children looking so frightened as their parent is
taken away on a stretcher . This virus is a killer
Whether or not you want to believe it , air travel makes it very possible
for any virus to travel .

And while I'm at it , just sayin in general , Ignorance is Bliss .

tucker6
10-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Nothing wrong with being proactive !
It's not like this disease hasn't taken many lives. It saddens me to see
the photos of young children looking so frightened as their parent is
taken away on a stretcher . This virus is a killer
Whether or not you want to believe it , air travel makes it very possible
for any virus to travel .

And while I'm at it , just sayin in general , Ignorance is Bliss .
Yes, there is quite a bit of ignorance on this issue.

tucker6
10-05-2014, 09:01 AM
But use some perspective when evaluating the risk this poses. It isn't the Black Death and we aren't living in medieval Europe.
Couldn't have said it better. :ThmbUp:

nijinski
10-05-2014, 04:55 PM
I think a better analog for the United States would be the experience Nigeria has had since Ebola broke out next door.

There have been a few cases of people coming in from outside carrying the infection, including in the capital Lagos.

Nigeria has better healthcare infrastructure than does Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone although it pales in comparison to our own. Nonetheless, if someone becomes ill in Nigeria there will be a hospital bed available and competent medical help ready to treat.

They also have relatively clean water available along with chlorine and soap. Nowhere near the quantity and distribution of safe water we have but much better than what is found in rural Liberia.

Next door to where the outbreak continues, there have been 8 deaths in Nigeria from Ebola.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from believing what they want. Maybe expressing concerns on here helps ameliorate them.

I wonder why Cameroon shut off their borders to Nigeria . That's how you
stop the spread it seems . The smaller countries took action , very wise IMO .

Today a cameraman believed to be infected is being flown to a hospital in Nebraska . He is the second being treated there .
No we are not in medieval times . But restrictions should be in order .That's
how these diseases are contained .

DJofSD
10-05-2014, 05:27 PM
I wonder why Cameroon shut off their borders to Nigeria . That's how you
stop the spread it seems . The smaller countries took action , very wise IMO .

Today a cameraman believed to be infected is being flown to a hospital in Nebraska . He is the second being treated there .
No we are not in medieval times . But restrictions should be in order .That's
how these diseases are contained .
Why? Why you ask.

Doncha know, it's because they're haters.

Tom
10-05-2014, 05:33 PM
A show of good faith would be to place one of these patients in a room at the White house and have Michelle feed him nourishing food and bring him back to good health.

nijinski
10-05-2014, 05:36 PM
A show of good faith would be to place one of these patients in a room at the White house and have Michelle feed him nourishing food and bring him back to good health.

No potatoes

horses4courses
10-07-2014, 05:45 PM
http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/six-signs-the-us-media-cant-cope-with-the-ebola-story--ey5QTcwnHe

This actually happened:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzR7LVhCUAA_ckO.jpg

CNN’s Ashley Banfield was trying to argue that Ebola was similar to Isis in that: “All Isis would need to do is send a few of its suicide killers into an Ebola affected zone and then get them onto mass transit.

Clocker
10-07-2014, 05:58 PM
CNN’s Ashley Banfield was trying to argue that Ebola was similar to Isis in that: “All Isis would need to do is send a few of its suicide killers into an Ebola affected zone and then get them onto mass transit.

That's why they call them "talking heads".

horses4courses
10-07-2014, 06:01 PM
That's why they call them "talking heads".

True, but what's going on above and between the ears?

johnhannibalsmith
10-07-2014, 06:19 PM
These are the same maestros that were covering a crashed plane for eleven months as thought it were the JFK assassination.

sammy the sage
10-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Here's another helpful list:

This week saw the first confirmed case of Ebola virus within the United States, the latest development in an outbreak that has already claimed over 3,000 lives. Here are some ways you can protect yourself against this deadly disease:

Boil all bodily fluids before consumption.

Regularly examine your DNA under an electron microscope for any indication that Ebola has attached itself to your cell membranes.

Recognize the symptoms of Ebola, which include fever, chills, and developing symptoms too late to do anything about them.

Cover the nose and mouth of Ebola patients when they sneeze to avoid spreading germs.

Avoid eating bat soup, which is actually pretty sound advice whether there's an ongoing Ebola outbreak or not.

Ebola can only be spread once patients are symptomatic, so if you believe you've been exposed, get all your errands and public trips out of the way before your symptoms start showing.

Be sure to stay up to date on developments by signing up for the official CDC phone tree.

Try being born one of the 15 percent of rural Gabonese citizens with natural immunity to the virus.

Give billions of dollars to pharmaceutical companies.

If you see a suspicious-looking filamentous virus particle roughly one micron in length, stay away.

Continue following lifelong plan of avoiding Dallas, TX at all costs.

TJDave
10-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Patient in Dallas has died.

DJofSD
10-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hear that but not a surprise especially after learning yesterday he was on a respirator and was receiving dialysis.

P.S. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-08/first-ebola-patient-diagnosed-in-u-s-dies-in-dallas.html?hootPostID=58970f7cee42415b9502a14ca42 583e7

DJofSD
10-08-2014, 12:35 PM
This turn of events will prove to be an interesting circumstance to observe how both the media and the different levels of government and agencies respond -- in act and word.

DJofSD
10-08-2014, 12:44 PM
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/10/08/ebola-patients-remains-still-infectious/

To answer the question Land could not answer: two days.

DJofSD
10-08-2014, 02:43 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/10/06/354054915/firestone-did-what-governments-have-not-stopped-ebola-in-its-tracks

Firestone Did What Governments Have Not: Stopped Ebola In Its Tracks

Firestone detected its first Ebola case on March 30, when an employee's wife arrived from northern Liberia.

Read the rest of the story at the link.

Tom
10-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Obama has revealed his plan to deal with Ebola....no one infected or suspected of being exposed will be allowed on any golf courses.

Effective today at FOUR!

FantasticDan
10-08-2014, 03:59 PM
DopEzgBk4dA

DJofSD
10-09-2014, 08:19 AM
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/10/08/ebola-patients-remains-still-infectious/

To answer the question Land could not answer: two days.

I heard last night on the radio that the CDC had changed the estimate for the length of time the Ebola virus is viable when outside of the body. It was two days. Now, they've increased it to 5 - 6 days.

Think about it.

rastajenk
10-09-2014, 10:34 PM
The big news around these parts was a guy going to the hospital that didn't have ebola. What the hell is going on out there?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/local/warrencounty/2014/10/09/no-case-of-ebola-in-middletown/16971899/

Mike at A+
10-09-2014, 10:45 PM
5p7A-T7D-sg

DJofSD
10-10-2014, 05:59 PM
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10/ebola-spanish-medical-workers-jeer-prime-minister-throw-surgical-gloves-at-his-car-video/

Clocker
10-11-2014, 11:16 AM

http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.powerlineblog.com/i2.wp.com/www.powerlineblog.com/admin/ed-assets/2014/10/xDallas-Ebola-copy.jpg,qresize=490,P2C367.pagespeed.ic.T4c9LJrJ8 4.webp .

DJofSD
10-11-2014, 04:05 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2789194/stock-drinking-water-don-t-answer-door-neighbours-ebola-outbreak-advice-issued-families-sales-home-infection-control-kits-soar.html

Sales of gas masks, bio-hazard suits and foil blankets soar as 'survivalists' prepare for Ebola epidemic - and warn others to store water

I wonder what will be under the tree this Christmas.

tucker6
10-11-2014, 05:13 PM
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10/ebola-spanish-medical-workers-jeer-prime-minister-throw-surgical-gloves-at-his-car-video/
Still????? It never was.

_______
10-11-2014, 05:55 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2789194/stock-drinking-water-don-t-answer-door-neighbours-ebola-outbreak-advice-issued-families-sales-home-infection-control-kits-soar.html

Sales of gas masks, bio-hazard suits and foil blankets soar as 'survivalists' prepare for Ebola epidemic - and warn others to store water

I wonder what will be under the tree this Christmas.

I'm shocked that people naturally inclined to over-worry found this distressing and are overreacting.

In other news we are past 21 days from when Duncan flew. 16 days from first showing up at the ER vomiting. No one else has come down with the disease as a result of him yet.

DJofSD
10-12-2014, 08:05 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29587803

A preliminary test shows a Texas health worker who treated Ebola victim Thomas Duncan before he died is also infected with the virus, US officials say.

davew
10-12-2014, 08:06 AM
I'm shocked that people naturally inclined to over-worry found this distressing and are overreacting.

In other news we are past 21 days from when Duncan flew. 16 days from first showing up at the ER vomiting. No one else has come down with the disease as a result of him yet.

TX health care worker tests positive
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-health-care-worker-tests-positive-for-ebola/ar-BB8RVwO

JustRalph
10-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Here we go again.......... :bang:

It's all over the news again

DJofSD
10-12-2014, 08:56 AM
At what point does CNN become Ebola central?

Tom
10-12-2014, 09:09 AM
At what point does CNN become Ebola central?

Have they being Malaysian Airport?

They could be called DWB - Dog with a Bone.

DJofSD
10-12-2014, 09:39 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29587803

The worker, whose name was not given, wore full protective gear when treating Duncan on his second visit to a Dallas hospital, an official told reporters.

The new patient has been placed in an isolation ward and is said to be in a stable condition.

If confirmed, this is the first known transmission of Ebola on US soil.

Hey, prez, now what?

First, you tell us it won't happen here.

Next, the CDC says it's really hard to catch.

But we know the MSM will give you cover on this issue too. What will they call it? How about virus without borders?

tucker6
10-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Hey, prez, now what?

But we know the MSM will give you cover on this issue to. What will they call it? How about virus without borders?
maybe Michelle Obama can get on twitter and #saveourhealthcareworkers

It worked so well for all those missing African girls...

DJofSD
10-12-2014, 09:58 AM
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct/11/ebola-ollman-saphire-crowdrise-scripps/

Ebola researcher turns to crowdfunding

Ebola samples are reaching the lab of Erica Ollmann Saphire faster than the Scripps Research Institute researcher can process them. So she's asking the public to help her buy better instruments. She's looking for $100,000.

https://www.crowdrise.com/CureEbola

Robert Goren
10-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Hey, prez, now what?

But we know the MSM will give you cover on this issue too. What will they call it? How about virus without borders?I don't remembering him say that. But even if he did, he did not count on the incredible lackadaisical attitude of the health care workers at that hospital. Maybe that's the way things are done in Texas, but it is not the way things are done here in Nebraska and I suspect most of the country. Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital is being revealed as the training ground for Three Stooges impersonators. It would be funny if it were not so tragic.

tucker6
10-12-2014, 10:13 AM
I don't remembering him say that. But even if he did, he did not count on the incredible lackadaisical attitude of the health care workers at that hospital. Maybe that's the way things are done in Texas, but it is not the way things are done here in Nebraska and I suspect most of the country. Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital is being revealed as the training ground for Three Stooges impersonators. It would be funny if it were not so tragic.
While I agree with your description of that particular hospital, don't fool yourself that Texas Presbyterian's don't exist everywhere. All it takes is incompetent administrators who don't believe strongly enough in training protocols and worker safety.

DJofSD
10-12-2014, 10:14 AM
I don't remembering him say that. But even if he did, he did not count on the incredible lackadaisical attitude of the health care workers at that hospital. Maybe that's the way things are done in Texas, but it is not the way things are done here in Nebraska and I suspect most of the country. Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital is being revealed as the training ground for Three Stooges impersonators. It would be funny if it were not so tragic.
By the time this crisis is over, this administration and it's useful idiots will have run out of buses. Even after using the ones sitting in the parking lot in NO.

JustRalph
10-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Ever been through the training? Nope, I'm sure you haven't. It's not easy stuff. There are about fifty things that can go wrong on every contact. Not to mention the patient must cooperate. Don't be so critical if you have never had to suit up. It's not easy. If it were easy they would be able to contain it in Africa

Btw, people who have worked in hospitals for years understand that a bunch of the containment protocols are just for show. To reduce liability claims when things go wrong. I'm sure this person who contracted it thought they were protected. Guess what, this is why people who have been around the block don't believe everything they read or hear from the government. Remember, you can only get Ebola from exchanging body fluids. Yeah right.......I'm sure this nurse was exchanging body fluids with patient zero....aren't you?

Heads in the sand..........I have to fly late this coming week on business, if I could get out of it I would.

Tom
10-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Those suits were not meant for use in high heat and humidity, either.

FantasticDan
10-12-2014, 12:51 PM
I have to fly late this coming week on business, if I could get out of it I would.Why? Your chances of catching the flu on that flight and dying from that are MUCH greater than ebola. Would you let that stop you?

tucker6
10-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Why? Your chances of catching the flu on that flight and dying from that are MUCH greater than ebola. Would you let that stop you?
agreed. Any other answer is irrational.

magwell
10-12-2014, 02:28 PM
If a ebola panic sets in it will get very ugly.........

Tom
10-12-2014, 02:44 PM
What is the fatality rate of flu?

Not so irrational.

Second case now confirmed. A nurse who worked on the first victim.
Wore the suit. Got it anyway. Didn't put it on or take it off correctly.

Bet she though she was protected.

tucker6
10-12-2014, 03:51 PM
What is the fatality rate of flu?

Not so irrational.

Second case now confirmed. A nurse who worked on the first victim.
Wore the suit. Got it anyway. Didn't put it on or take it off correctly.

Bet she though she was protected.
The odds of catching ebola are infinitely less than having your plane go down due to a lightning strike, or some other catastrophe. That makes not wanting to fly due to ebola irrational.

TJDave
10-12-2014, 04:03 PM
The odds of catching ebola are infinitely less than having your plane go down due to a lightning strike, or some other catastrophe.

The odds are a work in progress. One month ago the odds of a Dallas healthcare worker catching Ebola were much different than today.

tucker6
10-12-2014, 04:25 PM
The odds are a work in progress. One month ago the odds of a Dallas healthcare worker catching Ebola were much different than today.
no they are not. You guys can rationalize this issue all you want, but anyone who says they may not fly this week because of ebola is acting irrationally.

davew
10-12-2014, 04:30 PM
If a ebola panic sets in it will get very ugly.........

Just wait until it shows up south of the border (if not already there)

The TX worker was following CDC protection guidelines...

fast4522
10-12-2014, 04:40 PM

And watch an extreme lock down of the southern border with politicians turning on their party in droves.

magwell
10-12-2014, 04:58 PM
no they are not. You guys can rationalize this issue all you want, but anyone who says they may not fly this week because of ebola is acting irrationally.The airlines will be the first to take a hit irrational or not.........

classhandicapper
10-12-2014, 05:06 PM
This problem could be solved relatively quickly if our president and his entire party were mature intelligent adults capable of dealing with the world as it is instead of the world they wish it to be. None of them are fit for office at any level, let alone being in charge of the most important country in the world.

It's a failing of democracy that imbeciles like this can come to power and make economic decisions that will impact all of us badly and non economic decisions that are a matter of life and death for some.

_______
10-12-2014, 05:23 PM

No. They were not following CDC protocols.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-positive-20141012-story.html#page=1

Clocker
10-12-2014, 05:23 PM
if our president and his entire party were mature intelligent adults

Did you bring enough of whatever you are smoking for the whole class? :D

FantasticDan
10-12-2014, 05:41 PM
If only there was a republican in office to use his amazing powers of competency and "solve" the problem of ebola. Where are you, Willard?? So many didn't have to die!! :mad:

davew
10-12-2014, 05:57 PM
No. They were not following CDC protocols.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-positive-20141012-story.html#page=1

“I think the fact that we don’t know of a breach in protocol is concerning, because clearly there was a breach in protocol. We have the ability to prevent the spread of Ebola by caring safely for patients.”

They don't know what the breach in CDC protocol was, but there had to have been one otherwise they would not have gotten ebola.

That is very Obama like in placing the blame on someone else rather in admitting they could be wrong or not have as good of an understanding of the issue as they so proudly claim.

lamboguy
10-12-2014, 06:11 PM
there is a guy sitting in the Beth Israel Hospital in Boston that has possible EBOLA VIRUS now

this is starting to look very scary. when i was a kid growing up in Boston, my whole street had kids that caught POLIO. i didn't get it because my mother didn't let me out of the house in the summer. and it was a very hot summer with no such thing as air conditioning.

Tom
10-12-2014, 07:05 PM
That makes not wanting to fly due to ebola irrational.

That is a decision you can only make for yourself.

Tom
10-12-2014, 07:08 PM
If only there was a republican in office to use his amazing powers of competency and "solve" the problem of ebola. Where are you, Willard?? So many didn't have to die!! :mad:

the only problem is keeping potential carries out of the USA.
Obama refuses to do that.

Finding a cure in not our problem.

If we are sending troops there, it should be to keep the local from leaving the area.

The is a UN that we put a lot o f money into - it is THEIR problem to fix.

_______
10-12-2014, 07:35 PM
“I think the fact that we don’t know of a breach in protocol is concerning, because clearly there was a breach in protocol. We have the ability to prevent the spread of Ebola by caring safely for patients.”

They don't know what the breach in CDC protocol was, but there had to have been one otherwise they would not have gotten ebola.

That is very Obama like in placing the blame on someone else rather in admitting they could be wrong or not have as good of an understanding of the issue as they so proudly claim.

That quote is because there has never been a documented case of a health care worker following protocol who then became infected.

Could this be the first one? I suppose. But weigh the possibilities.

After decades of experience with this disease the protocols developed no longer work. Or the same hospital that sent the original patient home despite his reporting travel in Liberia and Ebola like symptoms has systemic training issues.

Which is more likely?

davew
10-12-2014, 08:44 PM
That quote is because there has never been a documented case of a health care worker following protocol who then became infected.

Could this be the first one? I suppose. But weigh the possibilities.

After decades of experience with this disease the protocols developed no longer work. Or the same hospital that sent the original patient home despite his reporting travel in Liberia and Ebola like symptoms has systemic training issues.

Which is more likely?

--or even if the 'best known paractice' protocol is followed, there is still a 1/(large number) chance of getting infected

--or this strain has mutated slightly and old rules no longer apply

I am not talking 'which is more likely' rather 'is it possible'

Tom
10-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Monday, 10/13/14.
Kennedy International.
8:30 am.

Someone barfs in the terminal.
What is the protocol?

DJofSD
10-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Send in an MIB containment squad then neuralize every one.

JustRalph
10-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Maybe I'm an irrational idiot. But climbing inside a metal tube with God knows who coming out of Dallas is something I would rather not do. Ebola or not, Dan's point about the flu is just as relevant. I don't want the flu either. Especially here in Dallas.

I get all "the odds of" discussions etc. I know the numbers etc. I have a pilots certificate. Been there done that. But I also have to point to Dave's post too. The odds are changing daily. They have to be. The family of this nurse is now being monitored. Now they are literally scrubbing the outside of the apartment building where the nurse lives, heading inside tomorrow. I find that a little concerning. The outside of the building?

Anybody slip through the cracks? Who knows?

JustRalph
10-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Pamphlet being handed out at Patient 2's apt building

magwell
10-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Supposedly there are 5 strains of Ebola and if this one can be spread airborne, things are going to get way ugly........

_______
10-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Supposedly there are 5 strains of Ebola and if this one can be spread airborne, things are going to get way ugly........

Yes. Worse still it could cause otherwise reasonable people to dwell on near impossibilities as if they were certain to occur.

Once you start reading about Ebola patients having respiratory problems like coughing and sneezing, you can begin worrying about this. But since it doesn't affect the lungs you should be able to place this in the same category of concern as giant lizards decimating Tokyo.

JustRalph
10-12-2014, 11:20 PM
This is a hazmat guy at the apt

magwell
10-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Yes. Worse still it could cause otherwise reasonable people to dwell on near impossibilities as if they were certain to occur.

Once you start reading about Ebola patients having respiratory problems like coughing and sneezing, you can begin worrying about this. But since it doesn't affect the lungs you should be able to place this in the same category of concern as giant lizards decimating Tokyo.Giant lizards is a good one, last I heard saliva is a bodily fluid and when we sneeze it becomes airborne, maybe yours doesn't..........;)

_______
10-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Giant lizards is a good one, last I heard saliva is a bodily fluid and when we sneeze it becomes airborne, maybe yours doesn't..........;)

That was the point. Read the symptoms on the picture JR posted of the leaflet being circulated in the neighborhood where the nurse lived.

Ebola doesn't manifest itself with respiratory symptoms. It isn't the flu. Victims are not blowing their runny noses and sneezing.

magwell
10-13-2014, 01:19 AM
That was the point. Read the symptoms on the picture JR posted of the leaflet being circulated in the neighborhood where the nurse lived.

Ebola doesn't manifest itself with respiratory symptoms. It isn't the flu. Victims are not blowing their runny noses and sneezing.Those are the possible symptoms, but once they have Ebola their bodily fluids are whats contagious, I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time)......

Robert Goren
10-13-2014, 06:19 AM
This stuff doesn't spread all that easily. The proof in that is we all aren't dead now. If Ebola spread as easily as the panic over it has, human life on this planet would have ended on June 3, 2012.

classhandicapper
10-13-2014, 09:26 AM

It doesn't take much intelligence to understand that the probability of it spreading is directly related to the number of people we allow in the country from the hot zone or that are closely connected to the hot zone.

1. Freeze all flights from any of the hot countries in Africa into the US

2. Freeze all passengers with a passport from any of the hot zone countries making their way to the US from other countries (in case they leave Africa and go to some 3rd world backwards ass country dumb enough to let them in in the first place - kind of like the US)

3. Crack down on the southern border because sooner or later it's going to make its way into Latin America and Mexico. Then it's going to enter with the rest of the illegals this dumb shit president is relocating all over the country passing God know what other infections around with them.

4. Make exceptions for healthcare workers and scientists to travel back and forth so we can send people there that are willing to help at the source. We don't want people being unwilling to help because they are afraid they won't be able to come back. Given they are western health care workers, they are more likely yo have taken proper precautions and we'll at least have good control over who they are.

There is very little economic or other downside to any of this. They are simply sensible precautions in light of the risks to life to try to lower them further.

Would this solve the problem immediately?

Probably not because people are going to make their way around the globe and some will get here anyway. But it will improve the probability that it doesn't get out of control in multiple large cities.

Why isn't it being done?

1. Because our president is a delusional idealist that doesn't like the idea of closing the borders from Africa or Latin America.

2. Because HE and HIS family will be safe no matter what.

3. Because he's too busy actively importing as many illegals as possible into the US to increase the size of the democratic party to worry about the disruption of people's lives and the potential deaths of people that come into contact with someone with the disease.

There was a time I used to think the democrats were simply wrong on some basic economics because their idealism and worthy goals interfered with their ability to understand how the world works. Now I think they are disgusting human beings that have no place in power or influence over the rest of us.

Tom
10-13-2014, 09:45 AM
This is a hazmat guy at the apt

And he is flying home Friday.

Robert Goren
10-13-2014, 09:52 AM
There is very little we can do about our southern border despite what the far right seems to think. Fences and armed guards are not keep anybody out that wants to enter badly enough.
The real answer to this is to find a vaccine and a cure. That costs money, maybe a lot of it and like it or not most of that money is going to have come from the government. The good news is that it will take lot less than posting an armed guard every 25 feet on our southern border 24/7/365.

DJofSD
10-13-2014, 10:35 AM
There is very little we can do about our southern border despite what the far right seems to think. Fences and armed guards are not keep anybody out that wants to enter badly enough.
The real answer to this is to find a vaccine and a cure. That costs money, maybe a lot of it and like it or not most of that money is going to have come from the government. The good news is that it will take lot less than posting an armed guard every 25 feet on our southern border 24/7/365.
B.S.

Just because a thief can break into your house does not mean you should leave the front door open.

They have a treatment for Ebola. It's called ZMAPP. What is needed is a way to speed up and scale up either or both of the two major steps in its production.

If things are too hard for you that does not mean every one else should give up too.

classhandicapper
10-13-2014, 12:05 PM

Things don't always have to be reduced to black or white.

You build more fences, ramp up the presence, use drones to spot people crossings etc... to make it way more difficult.

Whenever you find an illegal anywhere in the US you deport them.

You deny illegals every US benefit except emergency healthcare.

If you just do that you've changed the risk/reward and incentive to come here. Some will still come, but you've reduced the healthcare risk and the other downsides of this illegal immigration.

DJofSD
10-13-2014, 12:39 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/10/13/nbc-crew-ordered-under-mandatory-ebola-quarantine/

An NBC News crew was ordered under mandatory quarantine for possible Ebola infection after the network’s chief medical correspondent was allegedly spotted on a food run to a New Jersey restaurant, according to a report.

I guess she's just oh so special. Cue Dana.

johnhannibalsmith
10-13-2014, 01:24 PM
I loathe that woman and this reinforces exactly why. If it were me doing what she did, she'd scowl down upon me like the statue of Paul Revere in the Commons.

Clocker
10-13-2014, 01:42 PM
A moonbat genius at MSNBC has tracked down the problem:

To the anti-government wingers in my thread: so far, the only "spread of Ebola" in the U.S. was caused by a private hospital in a red state.

Article (http://hotair.com/archives/2014/10/13/liberals-new-message-you-know-is-responsible-for-ebola-outbreak-in-america-conservatives/)

Saratoga_Mike
10-13-2014, 02:12 PM

Article (http://hotair.com/archives/2014/10/13/liberals-new-message-you-know-is-responsible-for-ebola-outbreak-in-america-conservatives/)

Maybe the president should have used one of his famous executive orders and stopped flights in from Liberia and a few other African countries? Instead, the fool has done the opposite, endangering the lives of 4,000 servicemen.

DJofSD
10-13-2014, 02:17 PM
The Obama phone battery is dead and the pen ran out of ink.

Clocker
10-13-2014, 02:24 PM
The Obama phone battery is dead and the pen ran out of ink.

He should have a whole drawer full of scorecard pencils from the golf course.

classhandicapper
10-13-2014, 03:05 PM

If it was just some nitwit blogger, I'd disregard something like this. But you can be sure Pelosi will be out there saying the same shit soon.

Pelosi is like the very old aunt or uncle that says some of the battiest shit you can possibly imagine during Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter etc.. family gatherings. Everyone knows she's only playing with half a deck so they just ignore her. But in the democrat's case, it's a group of bat shit loony tunes and they are running the country.

Tom
10-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Maybe the president should have used one of his famous executive orders and stopped flights in from Liberia and a few other African countries? Instead, the fool has done the opposite, endangering the lives of 4,000 servicemen.

Where is the WHO?

That's right.....who??

Saratoga_Mike
10-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Emergency srvs has an Emirates airliner surrounded at Logan - 10 passengers reportedly have flu-like symptoms.

Let's keep those flight coming in!!!!!!!!! Great job President Obama!

DJofSD
10-13-2014, 03:56 PM
The Boston Fox web site is saying 5 and they're in from Saudi Arabia.

Clocker
10-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Where is the WHO?

They are having a big meeting in Moscow this week to discuss tobacco control. They are trying to get all countries, especially in Europe, to greatly increase taxes on cigarettes.

Robert Goren
10-13-2014, 06:00 PM
They are having a big meeting in Moscow this week to discuss tobacco control. They are trying to get all countries, especially in Europe, to greatly increase taxes on cigarettes.There is no doubt that tobacco will kill far more people than Ebola will this year.

nijinski
10-13-2014, 06:05 PM
The Wall Street Journal reports that retrieval teams are accepting bribes from families of Ebola victims to issue death certificates that say their loved ones died of other causes, allowing them to keep their bodies for a traditional burial

I hope this is not true or the efforts , while being exposed to the the
dangers are hopeless .

Clocker
10-13-2014, 06:20 PM
There is no doubt that tobacco will kill far more people than Ebola will this year.

Suicide by cigarette is a matter of free choice. :p

johnhannibalsmith
10-13-2014, 06:30 PM
There is no doubt that tobacco will kill far more people than Ebola will this year.

Don't say it too loudly or they'll start taxing you for contracting it.

TJDave
10-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Suicide by cigarette is a matter of free choice. :p

Not if I have to smell it...or pay for it.

johnhannibalsmith
10-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Not if I have to smell it...or pay for it.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

No more fancy combustion engines in nifty coupes that are more dangerous than ordinary boring battery powered sedans for you!

reckless
10-13-2014, 06:54 PM

And there is even less doubt that federal government's CAFE standards cause more deaths on our roads as our automobiles get tinnier and tinnier, and lighter and lighter.

lamboguy
10-13-2014, 07:39 PM
i would love to bet you that in 2015 EBOLA will kill 5 times as many people than tobacco.

johnhannibalsmith
10-13-2014, 07:54 PM
i would love to bet you that in 2015 EBOLA will kill 5 times as many people than tobacco.

30,000,000 people in a year from 3,000. Take the bet Detective.

Tom
10-13-2014, 10:19 PM
They are having a big meeting in Moscow this week to discuss tobacco control. They are trying to get all countries, especially in Europe, to greatly increase taxes on cigarettes.

Oh, I thought that was the World Whore Organization - you make money anyway you can. Healthy people of money.......WHO puts on the lipstick and sells out.

Robert Goren
10-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Suicide by cigarette is a matter of free choice. :pSecond smoke!

DJofSD
10-14-2014, 11:01 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-13/ebola-monitoring-to-include-medical-staff-after-infection.html?hootPostID=0306e59ed42aa7810a0d6b51 818cccec

Every time health-care workers put on or take off protective gear, a spotter is there to make sure they do it correctly, Schwedhelm said in a webcast.

Does the spotter where a bio-suit? Who watches the spotter?

To handle the increased training, the agency has set up a team of infection control experts and communication specialists, Tumpey said in a telephone interview. It will coordinate with professional associations and state and county health departments to increase awareness of Ebola and ability to respond rapidly.

Even so, the CDC “is not a regulatory agency,” Tumpey said, which means the agency cannot compel hospital staff to watch the training videos. The agency also cannot force a hospital to transfer a patient to another facility.

Built in excuse for when things don't go according to plan -- hey, not my job.

classhandicapper
10-14-2014, 01:48 PM
I just saw a rumor on the internet that the nurse's boyfriend was admitted to the hospital exhibiting symptoms and will be tested. I can't find any verification.

woodtoo
10-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Second smoke!

Second hand smoke is getting harder to find,cant smoke with children in car,
good thing.Cant smoke watching an outdoor ball game even if your 200 feet
away from anyone,over the top.
Just make them illegal and be done with it.

johnhannibalsmith
10-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Just make them illegal and be done with it.

Then beer, then cars, then soda, then ...

I can't wait until I get to pretend to be all righteous about someone else's legal vice when the tide turns to the next easy target. In the end, I'll stick up for them and their liberties, but I'll sure have fun mocking them when the busybodies come for them.

JustRalph
10-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Oh, I thought that was the World Whore Organization - you make money anyway you can. Healthy people of money.......WHO puts on the lipstick and sells out.

They are predicting 10k new cases a week by Xmas

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/10/14/who-10000-new-cases-of-ebola-per-week-coming/

If it gets to that level, "control" will be a long gone without shutting down air travel

Tom
10-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Talking about being ready to go airborne now. Looking for link to story.
Smear it all over EBT cards......

Robert Goren
10-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Then beer, then cars, then soda, then ...

I can't wait until I get to pretend to be all righteous about someone else's legal vice when the tide turns to the next easy target. In the end, I'll stick up for them and their liberties, but I'll sure have fun mocking them when the busybodies come for them.The difference is that tobacco is a deadly addictive substance. If it were a new product having been just developed, it would not be available. It is a long way from soda or even beer. Neither of those substances are close to being as deadly nor are they anything close to being as addictive. Almost everybody who smokes is addicted and will have a hard quitting if they try. While some people become addicted to alcohol, most people can take it or leave it. Most smokers are having withdrawal after being up a couple of hours. Most drinkers, but not all, could the rest of their lives without suffering from withdrawal. Sorry the tirade. As someone who lost my mother to cancer, I get a bit upset when I hear that bit of uninformed silliness.

woodtoo
10-14-2014, 07:23 PM
2 weeks tobacco free,no real upside to smoking.plenty of downsides.

johnhannibalsmith
10-14-2014, 08:01 PM
The difference is that tobacco is a deadly addictive substance. If it were a new product having been just developed, it would not be available. It is a long way from soda or even beer. Neither of those substances are close to being as deadly nor are they anything close to being as addictive. Almost everybody who smokes is addicted and will have a hard quitting if they try. While some people become addicted to alcohol, most people can take it or leave it. Most smokers are having withdrawal after being up a couple of hours. Most drinkers, but not all, could the rest of their lives without suffering from withdrawal. Sorry the tirade. As someone who lost my mother to cancer, I get a bit upset when I hear that bit of uninformed silliness.

You are welcome to your tirade, because I consider the above as much uninformed silliness as you consider mine. Which is normal here.

johnhannibalsmith
10-14-2014, 08:03 PM
2 weeks tobacco free,no real upside to smoking.plenty of downsides.

That's why you quit.

Congratulations by the way. It is nice to hear when someone who wants to quit actually does it instead of lamenting how hard it is to do so. No upside, plenty of downside for you. Should make it pretty easy.

DJofSD
10-14-2014, 08:43 PM
http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2014/10/tulane_researchers_race_to_dev.html

It can take three minutes to know if you're pregnant, but hours or days to know if you've contracted Ebola.

Scientists with Tulane University are working frantically to change that.

woodtoo
10-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Basically wasn't enjoying it for the last year or so.It may not be for everyone
Butt hats off to Champix(pun intended) it really does make it easier.

Back to the topic,they will begin human testing a new drug developed right here.
Ive heard its been very effective thus far. :ThmbUp:

Jeff P
10-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Los Angeles Times -
Dallas nurses describe Ebola hospital care: 'There was no protocol':
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-dallas-20141014-story.html#page=1

The nurses said they were essentially left to figure things out for themselves as they dealt with “copious amounts” of body fluids from Duncan while wearing gloves with no wrist tapes, gowns that did not cover their necks, and no surgical booties. Protective gear eventually arrived, but not until three days after Duncan’s admission to the hospital, they said.

The nurses’ allegations conflict with what hospital officials have been saying since Duncan’s admission: that they have strict protocols in place for handling such patients and that a mistake led to Pham becoming infected while she treated him.

-jp

Tom
10-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Health care UNIONS are protesting all over the country.
What is a lib to do.....believe Obama or support the bothers and sisters? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, in this case, the unions are correct - there is not plan,no protocols, no adequate training, no vaccine.....everything Obama whined about Bush not having.

If you like your idiot-liar N chief, you can keep your idiot-liar N chief.