PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Anyone

DRIVEWAY
09-25-2014, 01:50 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-33-best-pizza-shops-in-america-98232642581.html

Hats off to those close by these pizza shops.

DJofSD
09-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Antipasto with Canadian bacon and pineapple pizza for a late dinner yesterday. But not from any of those places. Oh well.

In my own experience, the best pie ever was had at the now defunct Carnegie A-440 pizza restaurant in Del Mar as mentioned here (http://articles.latimes.com/1987-01-08/business/fi-2913_1_reorganization-plan) .

TJDave
09-25-2014, 02:41 PM
In my own experience, the best pie ever was had at the now defunct Carnegie A-440 pizza restaurant in Del Mar

There was a spot over by the stadium on Mission Gorge called "A taste of Brooklyn" that had great NY style pizza. Then a few years ago they sold to a middle-Eastern guy and overnight it turned to crap.

I will drive a looong way for good pizza. Fortunately, there's a pretty good pizza place in Palm Springs called Bill's.

OTM Al
09-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Live in Brooklyn and have not heard of the places mentioned. Not saying they aren't good but when pizza comes up I've never heard them mentioned.

Ocala Mike
09-25-2014, 02:58 PM
What OTM Al said; grew up in Brooklyn and Queens, and never heard of any of these places. We've got a pretty good place down here owned by a transplanted Brooklyn guy who makes a great NY-style pie.

OTM Al
09-25-2014, 03:04 PM
What OTM Al said; grew up in Brooklyn and Queens, and never heard of any of these places. We've got a pretty good place down here owned by a transplanted Brooklyn guy who makes a great NY-style pie.

Here is a list for Brooklyn that is more like it. Di Fara's is almost universally held as the best thus the title. Note one of the well regarded places did make the original listing.

http://www.bkmag.com/2013/10/15/10-of-the-best-pizza-slices-in-brooklyn-not-from-di-fara/

ArlJim78
09-25-2014, 03:05 PM
I love pizza and have lived my adult life in Detroit and Chicago.
Detroit pizza is better than Chicago hands down. They put Buddy's on the list which is great pizza but not even the best in Detroit imo.
The best pizza I've ever had comes from Loui's Pizza in Hazel Park Michigan.
It's made in the same style as Buddy's but its just better.

Clocker
09-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Live in Brooklyn and have not heard of the places mentioned. Not saying they aren't good but when pizza comes up I've never heard them mentioned.

I have never seen one of those all-inclusive national lists that I could give any credibility based on my knowledge of the subjects or the places. Best pizza, best burgers, best places to live, on and on. I doubt the people that make the lists have much if any personal knowledge, and are journalists relying on hear-say from other journalists. All of the recommendations are always trendy, and rarely come recommended by real people.

classhandicapper
09-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Umbertos's of New Hyde Park has very good pizza and Italian food in general. I've run into Nick Zito there.

ldiatone
09-25-2014, 03:48 PM
com'on pizza is pizza a little sauce a little cheese some anchovies some basil and bake in the oven for a few mins and BOOM, pizza :rolleyes:
there are some great places here in the 'burgh, but the names were not on the list cause there (secret).

RichieP
09-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Louie and Ernie's on Crosby Avenue in the Bronx has the best sausage pie on the planet - their thick Sicillian that is light as a feather is a winner too :ThmbUp:

GameTheory
09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Detroit pizza is better than Chicago hands down. They put Buddy's on the list which is great pizza but not even the best in Detroit imo.
Never had that one. Used to get Buddy's and Shield's (similar style) quite often. You need to try this one if you haven't (totally unlike Buddy's):

http://tomatoesapizza.com/

turninforhome10
09-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Grew up in IA and worked in a small family Pizza joint. My good friend and mentor who taught me cooking, makes the best Pizza I have ever had and no mention. I live in Philly now and can not find a Pizza as good as George's. Also very proud of the success of my friend. http://www.formarofiles.com/
P.S. The best Taco in the nation also comes from Iowa http://www.tastytacos.com/

RaceBookJoe
09-25-2014, 06:33 PM

Back in the 90's, everytime I gigged in the Detroit area I always make a point to go to Green Lantern for pizza...loved it.

Mike at A+
09-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Denino's in Staten Island gets my vote. The sausage/broccoli rabe is killer!

Clocker
09-25-2014, 11:13 PM
com'on pizza is pizza a little sauce a little cheese some anchovies some basil and bake in the oven for a few mins and BOOM, pizza

Honest to God! I'd quibble about the dead fish, but that's a matter of taste. About half the "pizzas" I saw in that article, and a few mentioned here, are grounds for losing your Man Card.

Tape Reader
09-25-2014, 11:19 PM
Sunrise pizza, Rye, NY. Thin slice tomato and garlic.

Ocala Mike
09-26-2014, 12:31 AM
Umbertos's of New Hyde Park has very good pizza and Italian food in general. I've run into Nick Zito there.

Now you're talking! Used to go out of my way leaving Belmont Park to take Jericho Turnpike home so I could stop off for a few slices. About the best I've ever had!

ldiatone
09-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Louie and Ernie's on Crosby Avenue in the Bronx has the best sausage pie on the planet - their thick Sicillian that is light as a feather is a winner too :ThmbUp:
HI RichieP! how ya doin! good to view a post!

riskman
09-26-2014, 07:56 PM

Now, you are talking. One of the best I have tasted over the years. Being a Throggs Neck boy, it was ritual on Friday night to call L&A for a sausage pie.
Hope, all is well with you Richie P.