PDA

View Full Version : The Kelso Handicap

Redboard
09-25-2014, 01:27 PM
How about the Woodward winner, ItsMyLuckyDay, opting for this race instead of the JGCC. That’s a first, in my recollection. Can’t understand it. What’s up?

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/87570/itsmyluckyday-shortens-up-as-kelso-favorite#ixzz3ELaL88pC

Although, I’ve always thought that ten panels is a terrible distance for the Belmont dirt track with the starting gate on the turn. Don’t know why they just don’t make the JGCC a 12 furlong race.

cj
09-25-2014, 01:51 PM
How about the Woodward winner, ItsMyLuckyDay, opting for this race instead of the JGCC. That’s a first, in my recollection. Can’t understand it. What’s up?

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/87570/itsmyluckyday-shortens-up-as-kelso-favorite#ixzz3ELaL88pC

Although, I’ve always thought that ten panels is a terrible distance for the Belmont dirt track with the starting gate on the turn. Don’t know why they just don’t make the JGCC a 12 furlong race.

I agree it is a weird placement. The Kelso has bad the conditions dancing around the last few years, so not having seen it doesn't mean too much.

As for the JCGP at 12f, easy, nobody would use it to get ready for the Classic. You'd get a terrible field.

Rex Phinney
09-25-2014, 02:06 PM

My guess is because he is not nominated to the Breeders Cup already, the cost for them to go might mean they want to enter a race they have a better shot of winning and maybe that is the Dirt Mile.

It's just a guess though.

ronsmac
09-25-2014, 05:44 PM

Although, I’ve always thought that ten panels is a terrible distance for the Belmont dirt track with the starting gate on the turn. Don’t know why they just don’t make the JGCC a 12 furlong race.When I was a really young boy, the 1 1/4 races started on the backstretch.

GatetoWire
09-26-2014, 12:29 PM
I personally don't think they are going to supplement to the Breeders Cup.

I think they will run in the Kelso, give him a slight break, skip the Breeders Cup and then finish up the year in the Cigar Mile at Aqueduct.

Tom
09-26-2014, 12:35 PM
On Byk's show he said the plan is to shorten up for the Kelso then stretch back out for the Classic.

classhandicapper
09-26-2014, 02:45 PM
I saw comments along the lines of the the BC Mile and Cigar or the Classic. It will cost a lot to supplement to the Classic (I think more than the BC Mile). So maybe they want to see the final preps before choosing which way to go. Maybe if a couple of horses look great this weekend (Shared Belief?) they'll skip the Classic. If they choose the BC Mile, the Kelso will probably be a prep than trying to shorten up from the JCGC.

thespaah
09-26-2014, 08:49 PM
I agree it is a weird placement. The Kelso has bad the conditions dancing around the last few years, so not having seen it doesn't mean too much.

As for the JCGP at 12f, easy, nobody would use it to get ready for the Classic. You'd get a terrible field.
Since the inception of the Breeders Cup, NYRA kept the JCGC distance at 12F through the 1989 running.
In 1990, the race was shortened to the current 10F

burnsy
09-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Since the inception of the Breeders Cup, NYRA kept the JCGC distance at 12F through the 1989 running.
In 1990, the race was shortened to the current 10F

Agreed, its not just because of the BC. Although, that is a factor. Just face it, how many of these horses want or can get the 12 furlongs these days? Check out the recent timings of the Belmont stakes...its a joke. But there's no problem with the breeding, drugs or the sturdiness of these horses according to some....go figure.

thespaah
09-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Agreed, its not just because of the BC. Although, that is a factor. Just face it, how many of these horses want or can get the 12 furlongs these days? Check out the recent timings of the Belmont stakes...its a joke. But there's no problem with the breeding, drugs or the sturdiness of these horses according to some....go figure.
There is no question the stamina has been bred out of the breed.
Look at the plethora of sprint races. I would probably be safe if I claimed at least 60% to 70% of all races are 6f or less.
One could go months without seeing a race longer than 1 1/16th. That includes turf races which as we know tend to generally be routes.
20 years ago a race of less than 6f was unheard of for horses older than 2.
Now 5.5f and even 5f races for older horses are common.
Meanwhile the Europeans and the Pacific Rim countries continue to run the longer distances.
Anyway....
For the Kelso, Itsmyluckyday cuts back to a mile.
I don't where Golden Ticket is in his form cycle, if he's on his game he could be the one most likely to spoil the day for the top choice.
Also, I am suspicious of River Rocks. I don't recommend leaving that one out of the exotics.
I see lots of singles on Itsmyluckyday on horizontal tickets today. It's not likely, but those could get blown up.

Ocala Mike
09-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Waiting patiently for :3: VYJACK to run a big one.

iceknight
09-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Rewarded well! Congrats! :ThmbUp:

thespaah
09-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Nice CALL!!!!!!

Alwaysonpoint36
09-27-2014, 02:38 PM

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp: well done!!

burnsy
09-27-2014, 02:39 PM

Ran right over me. Needed the :4: , :7: . Exactas, picks and the double. Didn't like him at all. Hope its not one of "these" days for me. :confused: Nice call on that one.

cj
09-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Weren't people calling for Vyjack's retirement not long ago?

Stillriledup
09-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Not lost in all this is a horrendous ride by the guy on the chalk. If you have the outer most post, you dont get yourself pinned in between horses battling the pace. Its amazing that horse held third, he looked dead in the water to hit the board at the top of the lane.

Ocala Mike
09-27-2014, 04:03 PM
The way the pace developed, sitting a clear, open 4th early was clearly the place to be. Just glad it was the :3: sittin' there.

Stillriledup
09-27-2014, 05:11 PM

See post 7

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115192&highlight=vyjack

classhandicapper
09-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Not lost in all this is a horrendous ride by the guy on the chalk. If you have the outer most post, you dont get yourself pinned in between horses battling the pace. Its amazing that horse held third, he looked dead in the water to hit the board at the top of the lane.

I didn't like the ride either, but I needed him for 2nd to get the exacta.

I haven't watched the replay yet, but watching the race live it looked like he broke well and Bradester broke a tad slower. So he found himself in the stalking position and then Bradester came outside of him. I think the ideal trip was to sitting off them.

Bradester was dead on the board. I think he opened at something like 18-1. I didn't like him a lot because he looked like the 2nd speed, but at one point I was considering it. He did not run well. That may have been one of those times that someone knew something.

Grits
09-28-2014, 06:22 PM

For clarity. Did you read this on Twitter or other boards? As the link quotes DRF's David Grenig's tweet. I did a search going back to July in the Zivo and the Vyjack threads. Of course, I could've missed one. But in these threads, no one here at PA called for Vyjack's retirement. Instead, there was concern for his being spotted over his head, and for his needing a break after being eased.

Now, if I can make up for my question. Your figures had Rudy's next winner, Belle Gallantey as the top speed, much above the overbet StopchargingMaria. Thank you for my win bet, several times, paying $11.40. :)

affirmedny
09-28-2014, 09:40 PM
For clarity. Did you read this on Twitter or other boards? As the link quotes DRF's David Grenig's tweet. I did a search going back to July in the Zivo and the Vyjack threads. Of course, I could've missed one. But in these threads, no one here at PA called for Vyjack's retirement. Instead, there was concern for his being spotted over his head, and for his needing a break after being eased.

Now, if I can make up for my question. Your figures had Rudy's next winner, Belle Gallantey as the top speed, much above the overbet StopchargingMaria. Thank you for my win bet, several times, paying $11.40. :)

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1675638&postcount=9

cj
09-28-2014, 09:42 PM

I don't remember where I'd heard it which is why I didn't say. Probably was Twitter.

Grits
09-29-2014, 09:11 AM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1675638&postcount=9

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him in a new career .

Didn't miss the post you've linked. Too, I don't view it as a call or a demand to retire the horse. JMO.

SandyLoam
10-01-2014, 05:40 PM
The track analysts and a couple guys on TVG who I kind of listen to were all over themselves saying how great Vyjack looked in the paddock and days before the race. I had him 'cuz I didn't want him to beat me. Worked out.