PDA

View Full Version : NHL 2014-15

Pages : [1] 2 3

OTM Al
09-25-2014, 11:12 AM
I can't believe no one has started this yet this year. Do we not have Canadians on this board???? I mean what the hell is going on here???? I am a lowly Islanders fan yet cannot wait for the season to begin.

Seriously though I am excited for the season to start. My Isles are very young, though many of those young guys got some solid experience last year, and may actually have a goaltender or two this year. I know they can score but putting in 4 goals doesn't do much good when allowing 5. Got tickets for Islanders-Devils preseason at Barclays for tomorrow and then back to the dump known as the Nassau Veterans Memorial Collesium for one last year before settling at Barclays for the foreseeable future. Tavares and Okposo were both top 5 scorers before going out to injury last year so looking forward to some major fireworks. Real shot at getting back to the playoffs this year I think.

Greyfox
09-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Good luck with your Islanders Al.

bodog.com has their odds of winning the Stanley Cup at 66-1.

http://sports.bodog.eu/sports-betting/hockey-futures.jsp

OTM Al
09-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Good luck with your Islanders Al.

bodog.com has their odds of winning the Stanley Cup at 66-1.

http://sports.bodog.eu/sports-betting/hockey-futures.jsp

Better than some, but I don't think they will win the thing this year, but i do think they get back to being competitive and think they can make the playoffs.

Stillriledup
09-25-2014, 03:21 PM
I can't believe no one has started this yet this year. Do we not have Canadians on this board???? I mean what the hell is going on here???? I am a lowly Islanders fan yet cannot wait for the season to begin.

Seriously though I am excited for the season to start. My Isles are very young, though many of those young guys got some solid experience last year, and may actually have a goaltender or two this year. I know they can score but putting in 4 goals doesn't do much good when allowing 5. Got tickets for Islanders-Devils preseason at Barclays for tomorrow and then back to the dump known as the Nassau Veterans Memorial Collesium for one last year before settling at Barclays for the foreseeable future. Tavares and Okposo were both top 5 scorers before going out to injury last year so looking forward to some major fireworks. Real shot at getting back to the playoffs this year I think.

Not sure how good you guys are going to be, but i think the team is going to be at least exciting to watch. Have a great season!

Btw, why an Isles fan and not a Rangers fan? (no offense, just curious)

OTM Al
09-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Not sure how good you guys are going to be, but i think the team is going to be at least exciting to watch. Have a great season!

Btw, why an Isles fan and not a Rangers fan? (no offense, just curious)

Didn't have a team but was interested in the sport. Then a few years back they announced they were coming to Brooklyn. Had to represent.

Stillriledup
09-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Didn't have a team but was interested in the sport. Then a few years back they announced they were coming to Brooklyn. Had to represent.

Cool. Go get em this year. :ThmbUp:

ldiatone
09-25-2014, 03:31 PM
a team to watch are the pens. new coach, new gm, new system. Scuderi said his ankle injury hindered him when he got back. picked up some tough guys Downie being one of them. vegas has Crosby 7/4 for MVP this year.
but goal keeping has to be #1 and that rests on Fleury.

biggestal99
09-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Devils fan here.

Hurting cause no brodeur for the first time in 20 years.

Better offense this year?

Scoring always problems with jersey

Allan

Stillriledup
09-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Devils fan here.

Allan

What about the theory that without Brodeur, the other goalies can really not have to worry looking over their shoulder and not worry about the distraction.

They may be better than you think.

OTM Al
09-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Devils fan here.

Allan

They do have a Brodeur on the training camp roster playing goal. Unfortunately his name is Anthony.

OTM Al
10-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Isles just got two quality defensemen. With improvements in goal and now this, this team just got a lot better. Will be very disappointed if they don't make playoffs this year.

Fwizard
10-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Isles just got two quality defensemen. With improvements in goal and now this, this team just got a lot better. Will be very disappointed if they don't make playoffs this year.

I have been a fan of the ISLES since Mike Bossy was on the team ---it has been brutal missing the playoffs year in and year out (since almost every team in the NHL makes it). The preseason has looked good .....we can always hope.

MutuelClerk
10-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Finally hockey is BACK!!!! Hoping the Leafs make the playoffs with better third and fourth lines. Even if they make the playoffs I think there's a better than 50% chance Babcock is their coach next season ( I predicted this last season a red wing slappy strongly disagreed). Leafs need to bring the PK back to where it was two seasons ago. Prediction time....

1. Everyone seems to be picking Tampa in the East. I predict they will not be in the top 4 of Eastern Conference teams.

2. This is the Blackhawks last shot. I believe both Kane and Toews will earn over 10 million next season. That crushes a salary cap. Tip your taxi drivers.

3. Colorado will not make the playoffs. And will trade one of their forwards by the deadline.

4. Carolina will win the McDavid sweepstakes edging out the Sabres.

5. Valeri Nichushkin of the Dallas Stars will really come on this season. Dallas will really be improved.

6. Drew Doughty will finally win a Norris and his team will repeat as Stanley Cup Champions.

Looking forward to the season and the banter. Enjoy.

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Stillriledup
10-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Finally hockey is BACK!!!! Hoping the Leafs make the playoffs with better third and fourth lines. Even if they make the playoffs I think there's a better than 50% chance Babcock is their coach next season ( I predicted this last season a red wing slappy strongly disagreed). Leafs need to bring the PK back to where it was two seasons ago. Prediction time....

1. Everyone seems to be picking Tampa in the East. I predict they will not be in the top 4 of Eastern Conference teams.

2. This is the Blackhawks last shot. I believe both Kane and Toews will earn over 10 million next season. That crushes a salary cap. Tip your taxi drivers.

3. Colorado will not make the playoffs. And will trade one of their forwards by the deadline.

5. Valeri Nichushkin of the Dallas Stars will really come on this season. Dallas will really be improved.

6. Drew Doughty will finally win a Norris and his team will repeat as Stanley Cup Champions.

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Its too hard to repeat, the Ducks are better this year than the Kings.

ReplayRandall
10-08-2014, 12:17 PM

GO LEAFS GO!!!

MC, if you truly believe in the Leafs, the money is just waiting for you: Current future line on Leafs to win the 2015 Stanley Cup---> 50-1

MutuelClerk
10-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Repeating is hard.

Earth girls are easy.

1st time lasix
10-08-2014, 01:24 PM
I have a ticket on Tampa bay to win the East.... and win the Cup as a longshot.....although i suspect the two Western teams {La and Chicago} will be favored over any team that comes out of the East. The Bolts have quick forwards who can score, a solid net minder, and have beefed up their defense to go along with Victor Hedman. They suspect they will be a force. Bruins, Pens and Canadians will have their hands full with them.

Stillriledup
10-08-2014, 06:43 PM
I have a ticket on Tampa bay to win the East.... and win the Cup as a longshot.....although i suspect the two Western teams {La and Chicago} will be favored over any team that comes out of the East. The Bolts have quick forwards who can score, a solid net minder, and have beefed up their defense to go along with Victor Hedman. They suspect they will be a force. Bruins, Pens and Canadians will have their hands full with them.

Don't sleep on Anaheim, one more Bounce their way last year, they beat the Kings and probably win the Cup. They're stacked with top tier talent and young and up and comers. They are the team to beat in the west.

OTM Al
10-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Good start by the Islanders. Need to get the penalty kill under control but already look miles better this year than recently. Tough run on the schedule coming up so interesting to see where they are in a couple weeks.

ldiatone
10-17-2014, 11:32 AM
going sat to the pens game :jump:

Greyfox
10-21-2014, 04:34 PM
More and more NHL teams are relying on advanced "analytics" to make their decisions about team composition.

Here's a somewhat new site that gives interested fans an a window into some of those "analytics."
The site is apparently still under development, but appears promising.

http://war-on-ice.com/

Greyfox
10-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Your favorite teams chances of making the playoffs?

They change every game of course, but this site is worth checking through the season.
It's still very early in the year, so some of the hopeless cases may improve while morning glories may wilt.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

Stillriledup
10-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Anaheim is 95 to 99 percent to make the playoffs, think their 87% figure is low.

OTM Al
10-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Anaheim is 95 to 99 percent to make the playoffs, think their 87% figure is low.

Given the Standard Deviation right now is probably about 50 percentage points, I'd say this isn't worth quibbling about right now

Greyfox
10-23-2014, 04:17 PM

They have a good team, but injuries to the wrong guys can make any team vulnerable.
Your estimate for 95 to 99% is too high this early in the year.

MutuelClerk
11-08-2014, 10:38 PM
How in the hell did it take Montreal this long to retire Guy Lapointe's number? That is insane. Robinson, Savard, Lapointe. You'll never see three d-men like that again on the same team. No wonder they won all those Cups. Not to mention LaFleur, Cournoyer etc.

Not sure I liked the announcer doing the Leaf game tonight on HNIC. Even though Bob Cole is now 114 years old, I miss him. I sure like Leo though. Glad the Leafs brought him back. He brings something the team sorely needs. A pain in the ass to other teams. GO LEAFS GO!!!

Stillriledup
11-09-2014, 12:30 AM
They have a good team, but injuries to the wrong guys can make any team vulnerable.
Your estimate for 95 to 99% is too high this early in the year.

They have a ton of injuries, and still keep on keeping on. I like these guys chances better than any 2.10 show horse.

ldiatone
11-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Pascal Dupuis RW for the pens out 6 mos. with a blood clot in his chest.
on blood thinners.

OTM Al
11-19-2014, 04:23 PM
Islanders really playing well now. If they can keep the solid record through Christmas, their second half should not be nearly as tough and they should be on their way to the playoffs. Ever since that terrible loss at Colorado, they seem to have really put it together well.

jdhanover
11-23-2014, 01:01 AM
Islanders really playing well now. If they can keep the solid record through Christmas, their second half should not be nearly as tough and they should be on their way to the playoffs. Ever since that terrible loss at Colorado, they seem to have really put it together well.

Yep...and that loss at COL was one where they had 40 shots.

Big if, but if they stay healthy (and Grabner not yet back), they are a very good team. Fast skaters and can be physical. All 4 lines produce. Top 6 D are solid (I like Pulock as the 7th D vs Strait - who sucks - or Donovan)...that is where my concern is (if a D gets hurt).

Halak has been solid, Johnson shaky but I think he'll come around.

Real 'scary thought..Tavares has not played well the past 10 games (until tonight), yet they are still winning. That hasn't been possible the past few years. JT gets on track and they become that much tougher.

Back to back over PIT and holding Sid to one harmless SOG in 2 games bodes well.

I really like what I have seen so far.....Let's Go Islanders!!!

OTM Al
11-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Yep...and that loss at COL was one where they had 40 shots.

Big if, but if they stay healthy (and Grabner not yet back), they are a very good team. Fast skaters and can be physical. All 4 lines produce. Top 6 D are solid (I like Pulock as the 7th D vs Strait - who sucks - or Donovan)...that is where my concern is (if a D gets hurt).

Halak has been solid, Johnson shaky but I think he'll come around.

Real 'scary thought..Tavares has not played well the past 10 games (until tonight), yet they are still winning. That hasn't been possible the past few years. JT gets on track and they become that much tougher.

Back to back over PIT and holding Sid to one harmless SOG in 2 games bodes well.

I really like what I have seen so far.....Let's Go Islanders!!!

After they won Friday night I bought a couple tickets for last night since we were going to be in the area anyway. Crowd was way into it and was very exciting to watch. Pittsburgh's puck handling is so smooth but Islanders never ended up paying for defensive mistakes they made. Defense is definitely the key that has made them competitive this year and it has really begun to gel. I think once Taveres finally gets it in his head that he doesn't need to be the offense anymore, he'll start scoring more as he seems to be still trying to be perfect. Four straight games against the two teams that were the division leaders and they took 3. Most exciting team in NY right now. Maybe they will finally start getting some respect.

jdhanover
11-23-2014, 01:46 PM
The Coliseum is the loudest building in the NHL when it is buzzing....largely because it is so old (so the acoustics are all 'wrong') and the crowd does get fired up. Should be a fun ride this year. And the team is young with 5 bona fide top tier prospects in the farm system (their AHL team is doing very well too) and plenty of cap space.

OTM Al
11-23-2014, 08:06 PM
The Coliseum is the loudest building in the NHL when it is buzzing....largely because it is so old (so the acoustics are all 'wrong') and the crowd does get fired up. Should be a fun ride this year. And the team is young with 5 bona fide top tier prospects in the farm system (their AHL team is doing very well too) and plenty of cap space.

I think the liquor helps as well....thinking the crowd will be a little different next year in Brooklyn given what I've seen in the two pre-season games there. Most people are well behaved but there were a lot of young people drinking heavily there last night, and some looked a little too young. More of it than usual as I have sat near the cheering section before. Security was in that section several times. Won't mind at all when the driving aspect is taken out of the situation. Will be able to make it to weekday games then as well.

The team on the ice, as is, is very young, and that is great promise for the future already. Can only get better as long as they stay away from the foolish trades they have made in the past. The moves this off season were so much better than what they'd been doing, hopefully the front office has finally figured a few things out. They are in a situation right now like the Rays in baseball were in about 7 years ago. Packed full of talent and ready to roll.

MutuelClerk
11-24-2014, 11:55 PM
R.I.P. Pat Quinn.

MutuelClerk
12-09-2014, 10:24 AM
I hope Ovechkin gets what's coming to him. His cheap shot on Komarov was pre-meditated and he's still out of the lineup. Hard to believe at a dinner honoring Nelson Mandela Jonathon Bernier had no idea who he was. Pretty embarrassing. When asked about Mandela he referred to him being a former great athlete obviously a deer in headlight look on his face trying BS his way through the question. Oops.

burnsy
12-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm sort of clueless on NHL hockey. But I love live hockey so I go to AHL hockey often and an occasional RPI or Union game. Hockey is big up here but I don't know the pro teams for anything. Glens Falls used to have the Phantoms which is a Flyers team, they moved, this year we have the Calgary Flames team. They seem to be a lot better the Phantoms usually sucked. Sometimes I thought they couldn't score on an empty net. I don't even know if Calgary is better than Philly but I've already seen this team win more at home than the other one (Phantoms) did last year.

Greyfox
12-09-2014, 11:46 AM
The Calgary Flames have to be the biggest surprise of this season.
If it continues Bob Hartley will be a candidate for the Coach of the Year.
Calgary was predicted to do very poorly and a rebuild was in order.
But they are winning and if the season ended today they'd be in the playoffs.
The question is "Can they keep their current pace up? Or will they flounder?"
Time will tell.

burnsy
12-09-2014, 12:04 PM
I thought the Phantoms had a great mascot but the team played poorly. The Flames (AHL) seem to have some good, young talent. Even the games they lose are usually close. I hope the NHL Flames do well and the team stays here for a while. There's nothing to do up here during the cold winter. I can't really ski anymore so I get out to see some hockey. I'm really hoping the Flames catch on here.

jdhanover
12-25-2014, 05:53 PM
The Calgary Flames have to be the biggest surprise of this season.
If it continues Bob Hartley will be a candidate for the Coach of the Year.
Calgary was predicted to do very poorly and a rebuild was in order.
But they are winning and if the season ended today they'd be in the playoffs.
The question is "Can they keep their current pace up? Or will they flounder?"
Time will tell.

Calgary, Nashville and my beloved NY Islanders are this year's surprises thus far. The stat geeks think Calgary will fade. I hope not. I'd like to see all 3 do well....new teams in the mix is a good thing in my book!

woodtoo
12-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Calgary, Nashville and my beloved NY Islanders are this year's surprises thus far. The stat geeks think Calgary will fade. I hope not. I'd like to see all 3 do well....new teams in the mix is a good thing in my book!
Wheres the love for my Jets, just beat the Hawks at home 5-1 and 1-zip earlier this year. Plus were down 4 starting D-men. Who else does that?

spike77
12-25-2014, 08:54 PM
My bruins have to be the biggest let down so far

OTM Al
12-25-2014, 09:04 PM

I was pretty sure the Islanders would improve this year but with the signings of Halak, Boychuk and Leddy the team got much better. I would be very disappointed if they didn't make the playoffs at this point as I think the first half of their schedule was the toughest. Look for them to string several wins together coming out of break. Got a couple more tickets for Christmas so have four more games to go to this regular season.

Fastracehorse
12-26-2014, 04:34 AM
R.I.P. Pat Quinn.

i have so many nice things to say about Pat Quinn and so many stories ( as a hockey fan watching him since the late 80's )

i'll just point out that Leaf hockey was never better than when he sailed the ship in Toronto - and the only time in my life i cared about the Leafs

fffastt

MutuelClerk
12-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Team Canada has so many talented forwards. How are they going to explain losing this year?

ldiatone
12-27-2014, 12:01 PM
i have the mumps :blush:

woodtoo
12-27-2014, 12:26 PM
i have the mumps :blush:

That's too bad,at least you can still watch the World Juniors tonite and
plenty of NHL.

MutuelClerk
12-27-2014, 07:22 PM
The WJC is great. New Years Eve the best rivalry is sports is on again. USA USA USA.....

ldiatone
12-27-2014, 09:23 PM
That's too bad,at least you can still watch the World Juniors tonite and
plenty of NHL.
:lol:

woodtoo
12-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Its been so long since I've had the mumps I forget how long they last.
Hopefully your in 2nd overtime.

By the way did you also catch Andrew Ladds OT goal last night in Minnesota,
off the backboard, hit the goalie's head and into the net. Awesome.
Wake me up I must be dreaming, three points behind the Hawks and Predators.

MutuelClerk
12-31-2014, 12:15 PM
USA vs Canada today. Great intensity, amazing rivalry. Rooting for USA but they haven't looked very good so far. Regardless I hope one of these two teams wins it all. USA USA USA!!!

MutuelClerk
12-31-2014, 07:52 PM
Heckuva game. Congrats to Team Canada on a 5-3 victory. Great pace, hard hits, exciting. Love Max Domi, seen the kid play a lot. If the Leafs trade for Yandle ( why do they need a offensive d-man??) Max has to be part of the package. A Domi back in Toronto would be cool, not to mention he has amazing hands. Hoping for a USA vs Canada rematch.

MutuelClerk
01-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Congrats to Team Canada. a dominant performance. They were never behind the entire tourney. And a great gold medal game. The Russians being down 5-1 in Toronto didn't rollover. They fought hard. Great Game!!!

Speaking of not rolling over in Toronto I wish the Leafs would wake up and play some defense. They fired Carlyle today. Shame, I like Randy but the team just wouldn't play defense for him. IF Babcock comes next season he will call these players out. And insist they be more responsible. Before that happens I think over the summer Shanahan will make some major changes. He can start be trading Dion Phaneuf. I thought he was going to be the next Chris Pronger. Then they took out the redline and exposed him for being a slow player. He has great open ice hits. But pinches at the wrong time and is kind of lazy not a good example to the good young defensemen the Leafs actually have. So as usual drama in Toronto. It seems like it will never end.

ldiatone
01-06-2015, 01:31 PM
leafs fire randy carlyle. must have had the mumps :rolleyes:
i liked him as a player with pens. nice d man

woodtoo
01-06-2015, 04:37 PM
leafs fire randy carlyle. must have had the mumps :rolleyes:
i liked him as a player with pens. nice d man
Naw,hes just taken his lumps.We all loved "Kitty" when he played here. :ThmbUp:

MutuelClerk
01-08-2015, 08:17 PM
R.I.P. J.P. Parise. Tough guy, good player. Nearly beheaded that euro ref in the last game of the Summit Series.

OTM Al
01-20-2015, 03:50 PM
All Star Break for the Isles who lead the Metropolitan Division and may lead the Eastern Conference depending how the next couple days shake out. Almost hard to believe. Knew they would be much better but this has still been a pleasant surprise. Still play like the very young team they are from time to time, but each month they are getting better. Got a few tickets for the second half including the Rangers and Anaheim in March. Should be fun!

Greyfox
02-21-2015, 06:59 PM
The NHL over the years has traditionally been lagging behind baseball and football in their presentation of statistics.

This week however, they've rolled out a new series of statistics on virtually anything you want to know about any of the players.
They've finally accepted the idea that "analytics" can play an important part in serious fans enjoyment and understanding of the sport.

Undoubtedly many GM's will be fishing through the new site data.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/enhanced

http://www.nhl.com/stats/?navid=nav-sts-main#

ldiatone
02-22-2015, 10:55 AM
This is going to b a interesting playoff year when it starts..NYI, WAS NYR playing great hockey. mayb the Kings and Pens will not even get in.
i dont know what is wrong with Crosby.

ldiatone
02-22-2015, 12:19 PM
This is going to b a interesting playoff year when it starts..NYI, WAS NYR playing great hockey. mayb the Kings and Pens will not even get in.
i dont know what is wrong with Crosby.
although the kings have won 7 in a row..

Stillriledup
03-30-2015, 02:33 AM
All Star Break for the Isles who lead the Metropolitan Division and may lead the Eastern Conference depending how the next couple days shake out. Almost hard to believe. Knew they would be much better but this has still been a pleasant surprise. Still play like the very young team they are from time to time, but each month they are getting better. Got a few tickets for the second half including the Rangers and Anaheim in March. Should be fun!

Tell me more about these Islanders, they looked really good to me in defeat vs Anaheim the other day, color me impressed.

Can they make a long run in the playoffs? What's the feeling for this year,can they shock the world?

OTM Al
03-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Tell me more about these Islanders, they looked really good to me in defeat vs Anaheim the other day, color me impressed.

Can they make a long run in the playoffs? What's the feeling for this year,can they shock the world?

Probably not. They are young and their inexperience is showing as they are playing very tight down the stretch. Hard to say after that as maybe getting to the playoffs will allow them to let loose and maybe it will make them squeeze their sticks even tighter. They will be a team to reckon with for several years to come and I have them figured a little ahead of schedule right now if they can play like they did earlier. They did not play well at all against Anaheim as compared to about a month ago if that tells you anything.

Greyfox
03-30-2015, 11:23 AM
I've recently watched both Winnipeg and Minnesota.
They are playing very very well and could be tough if they secure playoff spots.

Stillriledup
03-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Probably not. They are young and their inexperience is showing as they are playing very tight down the stretch. Hard to say after that as maybe getting to the playoffs will allow them to let loose and maybe it will make them squeeze their sticks even tighter. They will be a team to reckon with for several years to come and I have them figured a little ahead of schedule right now if they can play like they did earlier. They did not play well at all against Anaheim as compared to about a month ago if that tells you anything.

There are certain things i look for to determine "playing well" its not conventional like SOG or goals or stuff like that, its just the visuals and to me, the visuals are impressive. This is a better team than advertised imo, hopefully i'm right.

OTM Al
03-30-2015, 06:22 PM
There are certain things i look for to determine "playing well" its not conventional like SOG or goals or stuff like that, its just the visuals and to me, the visuals are impressive. This is a better team than advertised imo, hopefully i'm right.
The January version, yes, but not the current version that is allowing way too many giveaways in the defensive and neutral zones, being way too passive on power plays and the best player on the team, and possibly to be voted best in league, is still trying to be too perfect. If they get back to where they were, then they are formidable. If not, they get creamed in the first round.

jdhanover
03-30-2015, 10:35 PM
The January version, yes, but not the current version that is allowing way too many giveaways in the defensive and neutral zones, being way too passive on power plays and the best player on the team, and possibly to be voted best in league, is still trying to be too perfect. If they get back to where they were, then they are formidable. If not, they get creamed in the first round.

Caveat - huge Isles fan here.

I think they are playing a little better than it seems. Insanely bad puck luck (not the entire reason for the tough last few weeks but...) - except vs CHI I think they lost 5 games 2-1 (excl an empty netter) yet outshot the opponent in most of them.

I agree that they are young and not likely to make a deep run but I think they are good enough that they could surprise if they stay healthy. They continue to play Brian Strait 20 minutes a game (he is IMO the worst D playing regular minutes on a playoff team right now) yet only 2 goals a game in most of the contests.

Advanced stats point to the Isles as a good puck possession team which is key come playoff time. And they go 4 lines deep.

Tavares-Strome-Kulemin might be a dynamite line (no comment why it took Capuano this long to try it).

Future is very bright (very young team with 4 top prospects getting close in the minors plus cap space). This year - tough to say.

Let's Go Islanders!!!

OTM Al
03-30-2015, 10:48 PM
Caveat - huge Isles fan here.

I think they are playing a little better than it seems. Insanely bad puck luck (not the entire reason for the tough last few weeks but...) - except vs CHI I think they lost 5 games 2-1 (excl an empty netter) yet outshot the opponent in most of them.

I agree that they are young and not likely to make a deep run but I think they are good enough that they could surprise if they stay healthy. They continue to play Brian Strait 20 minutes a game (he is IMO the worst D playing regular minutes on a playoff team right now) yet only 2 goals a game in most of the contests.

Advanced stats point to the Isles as a good puck possession team which is key come playoff time. And they go 4 lines deep.

Tavares-Strome-Kulemin might be a dynamite line (no comment why it took Capuano this long to try it).

Future is very bright (very young team with 4 top prospects getting close in the minors plus cap space). This year - tough to say.

Let's Go Islanders!!!

I'll agree there has been some bad luck, but there has also been repeated instances of very poor play, especially in the turnover department. I think it is something they can snap out of quickly. Maybe Sunday's game does the trick coming back after the awful start. I like having Okposo on a separate line from Tavares as he is a major scorer on his own and it looks like he's getting back to right. The low goals I think is also due to the fact that they seemed to finally figure out how to kill a penalty.

jdhanover
03-30-2015, 11:50 PM
I'll agree there has been some bad luck, but there has also been repeated instances of very poor play, especially in the turnover department. I think it is something they can snap out of quickly. Maybe Sunday's game does the trick coming back after the awful start. I like having Okposo on a separate line from Tavares as he is a major scorer on his own and it looks like he's getting back to right. The low goals I think is also due to the fact that they seemed to finally figure out how to kill a penalty.

Agree - have to split JT and KO. I like Strome with JT as Strome sees the ice well. Kulemin is an excellent puck possession guy (and plays defense which is not JT's strong suit) so I like the combo.

KO and Frans have been good before. I 'd like to see it be a Line 1 and Line 1A situation

PK improvement has been critical. Agree on the turnovers...and that the win the other day(plus a lighter schedule the next few other than vs PIT) hopefully gets them back in rhythm.

Other thing that hurt them - 16 game sin 28 days in Feb...simply nuts.

Someone posted that with Grabovski out they have struggled a lot more. I'm not convinced it is because he is out (KO was out, Leddy was out), but it is interesting.

OTM Al
03-31-2015, 09:24 AM
Agree - have to split JT and KO. I like Strome with JT as Strome sees the ice well. Kulemin is an excellent puck possession guy (and plays defense which is not JT's strong suit) so I like the combo.

KO and Frans have been good before. I 'd like to see it be a Line 1 and Line 1A situation

PK improvement has been critical. Agree on the turnovers...and that the win the other day(plus a lighter schedule the next few other than vs PIT) hopefully gets them back in rhythm.

Other thing that hurt them - 16 game sin 28 days in Feb...simply nuts.

Someone posted that with Grabovski out they have struggled a lot more. I'm not convinced it is because he is out (KO was out, Leddy was out), but it is interesting.

I am so looking forward to them playing at Barclays next year. The Coliseum is a real pain to get to and isn't in good shape at all. Coliseum mgmt is also atrocious. Had tickets for the final game against the Rangers. Took 3 hrs to get there from Manhattan because of the bad weekday traffic and then when we got there, there was nowhere to park and the lot attendants had left. Ended up watching from a pub near Belmont. There were many unused spots in the lot but they hadn't bothered clearing the snow so the whole thing was a mess. We complained to both the Islanders and the Coliseum. Islanders said it wasn't their problem, thank god for management change happening there too, and the Coliseum said they would give us parking passes for a future game. Thanks a lot. At least the tickets were a gift so I wasn't out that price.

I've been to both preseason games at Barclays. It's not the best setup for hockey but still blows away the Coliseum. So many major subway lines stop there so no need to drive and two of those lines are ones I use to get home, so going to weekday games will go from nearly impossible to the preferred option. New arena, new management, a young team with many prospects waiting in the wings. Definitely a team to watch for the next several years.

ldiatone
04-01-2015, 10:40 PM
pittsburgh penguins.... i hope this team DOES not make the playoffs. gets beat by a PHA team that is out of the running... playoffs...and has several players out. and the Pens DON'T SHOW UP!! pens have players out also BUT fluery is already in playoff mode 4 goals...choke. the pens spell teIam<---this way. and 87? only reason he scores is he gets 300 goals.....where was he the rest of the game...first time in a long time i turned the game off with after the 4th goal by PHA....

OTM Al
04-02-2015, 09:19 AM
pittsburgh penguins.... i hope this team DOES not make the playoffs. gets beat by a PHA team that is out of the running... playoffs...and has several players out. and the Pens DON'T SHOW UP!! pens have players out also BUT fluery is already in playoff mode 4 goals...choke. the pens spell teIam<---this way. and 87? only reason he scores is he gets 300 goals.....where was he the rest of the game...first time in a long time i turned the game off with after the 4th goal by PHA....

I kinda hope they do and hold onto 3rd. Isles players see Pittsburgh as much more a rival than Rangers and it would be a much better match up for them than Washington.

ldiatone
04-02-2015, 09:23 AM
I kinda hope they do and hold onto 3rd. Isles players see Pittsburgh as much more a rival than Rangers and it would be a much better match up for them than Washington.
if pens play any in playoffs they may win 1. 1st round OUT

OTM Al
04-02-2015, 09:24 AM
if pens play any in playoffs they may win 1. 1st round OUT

Thus my desire for them to face the Isles :)

ldiatone
04-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Thus my desire for them to face the Isles :)
ANY TEAM

ldiatone
04-04-2015, 04:51 PM
another loss to the CBJ. the team is done. PHA sun(loss) and SENS tue(loss).
you watch the game against the SENS will kick the pens out of the playoffs.

OTM Al
04-04-2015, 07:21 PM
another loss to the CBJ. the team is done. PHA sun(loss) and SENS tue(loss).
you watch the game against the SENS will kick the pens out of the playoffs.

Those guys are actually pretty good since getting healthy. Clipped the Isles the other night too.

ldiatone
04-05-2015, 03:06 PM
well there ya go... pens lose again 4-1 to PHA. SENS play to night and if they win 1 point behind the pens. PENS and SENS play on tue. and if the SENS win that one bye bye play offs! this team has the 2 of the best top 5 players on the planet along with one of the best Off D-man and they cant score goals...brutal. plus the make a big buck.. :bang:

Rise Over Run
04-05-2015, 04:57 PM
well there ya go... pens lose again 4-1 to PHA. SENS play to night and if they win 1 point behind the pens. PENS and SENS play on tue. and if the SENS win that one bye bye play offs! this team has the 2 of the best top 5 players on the planet along with one of the best Off D-man and they cant score goals...brutal. plus the make a big buck.. :bang:
A real shame if it turns out that way... :lol: :lol: :jump: :jump:

It would really make for a long summer in the 'burg if the Pirates were 5 games under by Memorial Day :D :D

jdhanover
04-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Funny how most non-PIT fans really root hard against Crosby. Kind of a strange phenomenon. But PIT could be in trouble if OTT wins tonight since they play each other...both teams would control their own destiny.

Was really hoping DET would beat WAS today though.

Crazy race in the East - 3d through 8th still up in the air.

Let's Go Islanders!!!

ldiatone
04-05-2015, 09:03 PM
PHA chant was "you cant beat us" and the fans boo every time crosby touches the puck class

MutuelClerk
04-06-2015, 12:06 PM
I think Babcock is leaving for sure. With the Leafs finally admitting they need a re-build and Babcock's utter discontent for the media I don't see him going to Leafs. I think he ends up in Pittsburgh which will really grind Wings fans.

Greyfox
04-06-2015, 12:08 PM
PHA chant was "you cant beat us" and the fans boo every time crosby touches the puck class

Booing one of the greatest players in the game tells me that those fans have NO CLASS.

ldiatone
04-06-2015, 03:02 PM
I think Babcock is leaving for sure. With the Leafs finally admitting they need a re-build and Babcock's utter discontent for the media I don't see him going to Leafs. I think he ends up in Pittsburgh which will really grind Wings fans.
that has been the rumor in the 'burgh since last year.

ldiatone
04-06-2015, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=Greyfox]Booing one of the greatest players in the game tells me that those fans have NO CLASS.[/QUOT
True!

Rise Over Run
04-06-2015, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=Greyfox]Booing one of the greatest players in the game tells me that those fans have NO CLASS.[/QUOT
True!

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/aPIIo4VVbbN6WSAsXhOhpQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2014-05-15/7e742eb0-dc4e-11e3-a1b0-176659202f92_dsafasdfasdfads.jpg
From a great article in Yahoo Sports last year, "Eulogy: Remembering the 2013-14 Pittsburgh Penguins". All the no class, non-Pens fans will enjoy it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/eulogy--remembering-the-2013-14-pittsburgh-penguins-163717704.html

MutuelClerk
04-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Booing one of the greatest players in the game tells me that those fans have NO CLASS.

Booing Sid the Kid is more about respect than having little class. He's booed everywhere. He whines a lot, but his talent is immense and anyone that says they wouldn't want Sid on their team is lying or just not smart. Granted, Philly fans are in a class of their own.

I see a lot of Sid in Connor McDavid. 9% cmon baby.......

OTM Al
04-07-2015, 05:48 PM
The "Princess Crosby" chants are a bit silly, but so is me and most of the rest of the adults in the crowd wearing replica jerseys to every game. Some people get a bit too worked up but most is all in fun.

Stillriledup
04-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Sid Scores! 2-0 Pitt in the first period vs Ottawa.

Greyfox
04-08-2015, 09:26 AM
Some huge games this week.
Ottawa kept their hopes alive defeating Pittsburgh.
Winnipeg upset St. Louis.
Minnesota solidified their wild card spot with a win over Chicago.
Calgary warded off the lowly Arizona Coyotes to stay two points ahead of the Los Angeles Kings.
But the biggest surprise last night was the Edmonton Oilers, playing with a team of American Hockey League call ups, firmly beat Los Angeles.
Los Angeles beat Edmonton 8-2 last week.
The Kings, last years defending Stanley Cup Champions, now have one foot in the grave.
The game tomorrow night between the Calgary Flames and Los Angeles is huge.
This week has to be one of the most exciting ones for drama in the entire NHL schedule.
Saturday night we'll know who's in and who's out. Could be a few coaches fired next week.

Greyfox
04-08-2015, 09:36 AM
I should have mentioned too that the race for the Toilet Bowl is interesting too.
Both management teams behind Buffalo and Arizona have deliberately structured their line-ups to lose.
The players are playing their hearts out, but management and fans in both regions are hoping they'll finish last.
Finishing last increases their chances of landing Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel in the Draft Lottery in June.
These kids are touted as being possible "franchise" players in the future.
The team that finishes last is guaranteed to get one of those two guys, because if they lose the first draw they automatically get second pick.
Most likely Connor McDavid will be selected first.

Greyfox
04-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Thursday night Calgary finished off the Los Angeles Kings race to the playoffs.
Oh how the mighty Kings, the defending Stanley Cup champs have fallen.
At the start if the year Calgary was picked to finish somewhere in the basement.
Calgary coach Bob Hartley has to be considered for Coach of the Year.
Now who among Pittsburgh, Boston, Ottawa and Winnipeg, will advance and who will be sent to the golf courses early?
Saturday night should be pretty exciting.

ldiatone
04-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Thursday night Calgary finished off the Los Angeles Kings race to the playoffs.
Oh how the mighty Kings, the defending Stanley Cup champs have fallen.
At the start if the year Calgary was picked to finish somewhere in the basement.
Calgary coach Bob Hartley has to be considered for Coach of the Year.
Now who among Pittsburgh, Boston, Ottawa and Winnipeg, will advance and who will be sent to the golf courses early?
Saturday night should be pretty exciting.
i think Boston is out if pens win one game and SENS would be in if they win vrs Parx. Pens face NYI tonite and BUF on sat. they may lose to night, would not surprise me at all, but win vrs a bad BUF team playing for the most "disks" for the lottery.

Rise Over Run
04-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Plenty of boos tonight in the 'burg after that 3rd goal by the Isles. Good thing the Pens fans have been paying attention to what opposing fans grace Cindy Crosby with, because they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ldiatone
04-10-2015, 09:37 PM
pens make the playoffs if they win sat!! :jump: :jump: BUF last place team!!

ldiatone
04-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Plenty of boos tonight in the 'burg after that 3rd goal by the Isles. Good thing the Pens fans have been paying attention to what opposing fans grace Cindy Crosby with, because they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
you forgot the H 'burgh<-----

Rise Over Run
04-10-2015, 09:48 PM
you forgot the H 'burgh<-----
I don't recognize the "h" and spell it correctly.

Track Collector
04-11-2015, 12:10 AM
Big time Washington Capitals fan here.

Hey Al, with their victory tonight, the Isles will now definitely face the Caps in the 1st round of the playoffs. Sunday's final season games will determine which team gets home ice advantage. Either way it should be a good series.

ldiatone
04-11-2015, 10:00 PM
PENS PLAYOFF BOUND BABY.... told you :rolleyes:

ldiatone
04-11-2015, 10:07 PM
I don't recognize the "h" and spell it correctly.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zoetsiris/18-reasons-why-pittsburgh-is-the-greatest-city-on-d56b#.byV1PvoDX
http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/pittsburgh-us-pa-pt.htm

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/about_pittsburgh/tp/things_to_love.htm

Rise Over Run
04-11-2015, 10:17 PM
PENS PLAYOFF BOUND BABY.... told you :rolleyes:
Pens match April win total of Pirates... 1-5 and 1-4

Rise Over Run
04-12-2015, 09:39 AM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/zoetsiris/18-reasons-why-pittsburgh-is-the-greatest-city-on-d56b#.byV1PvoDX
http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/pittsburgh-us-pa-pt.htm

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/about_pittsburgh/tp/things_to_love.htm
Not sure why you are providing links to various Pittsburg attractions... Well aware of them as I lived out there for four years.

And I really looked forward to my first Primanti's sandwich.... Highly overated, borderline disgusting with soggy greasy fries, not to mention the limited, and low-grade meat and cheese. There's a reason why they don't allow sandwiches to be served without the fries and coleslaw, its because the real part of the sandwich is lousy to begin with.

MutuelClerk
04-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Did anyone else see ESPN previewing the playoffs and having the matchups wrong? One of the few things Bettman did right was telling ESPN to take a flying leap....

Greyfox
04-12-2015, 11:57 AM
The ice chips have settled and the fact that both Boston and Los Angeles are out is huge.
Not too many prognosticators saw that coming at the start of the year.

Of interest, the New York Post is reporting that on a recent road trip game the Kings locked Coach Darryl Sutter out of the locker room.
He had to get an arena attendant to open the door.
When he got in there were garbage bins lining the other side.
And he's the guy who saw them to a Stanley Cup victory just last year.

Secondbest
04-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Did anyone else see ESPN previewing the playoffs and having the matchups wrong? One of the few things Bettman did right was telling ESPN to take a flying leap....
What would you expect from a network that has Chris Berman on the air.

ldiatone
04-12-2015, 05:36 PM
pens already called up 2 D men.

maclr11
04-13-2015, 12:06 AM
The ice chips have settled and the fact that both Boston and Los Angeles are out is huge.
Not too many prognosticators saw that coming at the start of the year.

Of interest, the New York Post is reporting that on a recent road trip game the Kings locked Coach Darryl Sutter out of the locker room.
He had to get an arena attendant to open the door.
When he got in there were garbage bins lining the other side.
And he's the guy who saw them to a Stanley Cup victory just last year.

The players were having a players only meeting. I'm betting it was some of the leadership calling some guys out. Need the players to control the room.

Stillriledup
04-13-2015, 12:44 AM
What would you expect from a network that has Chris Berman on the air.

Um, THIS?

2d_2CwBjSQw

Greyfox
04-13-2015, 01:50 AM
The players were having a players only meeting. I'm betting it was some of the leadership calling some guys out. Need the players to control the room.

Whatever those players were having didn't work.

The LA Kings are gone.

By the way, I heard tonight that Toronto has fired the GM and Coach already.

ldiatone
04-13-2015, 10:38 AM

The LA Kings are gone.

so has BUF.

Greyfox
04-13-2015, 11:19 AM
so has BUF.

Buffalo fired Ted Nolan, but not the GM.

HoofedInTheChest
04-13-2015, 12:32 PM
General Manager Dave Nonis

Interim Head Coach Peter Horachek

Assistant coaches Steve Spott, Chris Dennis and Rick St. Croix

Director of Pro Scouting Steve Kasper and Director of Player Development Jim Hughes, a total of 18 scouts were relieved of their duties.

This is now Shanny’s team, no inherited dead weight.

HoofedInTheChest
04-13-2015, 12:44 PM

The LA Kings are gone.
This actually happened, mind you it was two months ago when it happened. It was a players only meeting and Sutter wasn’t aware of the meeting, this happens all the time, pretty much a non story.

Just look who broke the story, the sh*t disturber himself.

But i would make a sizeable wager that Sutter will get the axe, the Kings are losing serious revenue by missing the playoffs and that is not acceptable from this organization.

Greyfox
04-13-2015, 12:44 PM
General Manager Dave Nonis

Interim Head Coach Peter Horachek

Assistant coaches Steve Spott, Chris Dennis and Rick St. Croix

Director of Pro Scouting Steve Kasper and Director of Player Development Jim Hughes, a total of 18 scouts were relieved of their duties.

A blood bath! Good on Shanahan

Greyfox
04-13-2015, 01:09 PM

Shanahan will be opening the vault to try and get Mike Babcock away from Detroit.
That Buffalo owner has a lot of bucks too and he'll be bidding for Babcock as well.

HoofedInTheChest
04-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Shanahan will be opening the vault to try and get Mike Babcock away from Detroit.
That Buffalo owner has a lot of bucks too and he'll be bidding for Babcock as well.
The Mike Babcock picture will become a lot clearer next Saturday night at 8:10 pm.

MutuelClerk
04-13-2015, 04:36 PM
If the Leafs get a coach from the Wings organization it will not be Mike Babcock. It will be the coach of the Grand Rapid Griffins. Babcock isn't a big fan of the media ( who can blame him?). The media in Toronto is 10 times worse than hockeytown. I think he's going to the Pens.

ldiatone
04-14-2015, 09:13 AM
If the Leafs get a coach from the Wings organization it will not be Mike Babcock. It will be the coach of the Grand Rapid Griffins. Babcock isn't a big fan of the media ( who can blame him?). The media in Toronto is 10 times worse than hockeytown. I think he's going to the Pens.
being rumored in pittsburgh since last year about babcock.

HoofedInTheChest
04-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Eastern Conference

Montreal
Ottawa

Tampa
Detroit

Rangers
Pittsburgh

Washington
Islanders

Western Conference

St. Louis
Minnesota

Nashville
Chicago

Anaheim
Winnipeg

Vancouver
Calgary

Stillriledup
04-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Eastern Conference

Montreal
Ottawa

Tampa
Detroit

Rangers
Pittsburgh

Washington
Islanders

Western Conference

St. Louis
Minnesota

Nashville
Chicago

Anaheim
Winnipeg

Vancouver
Calgary

I think you mistakenly selected Winnipeg, you do realize they have no shot right?

OTM Al
04-15-2015, 09:16 AM
If I had to pick one to win the whole thing, I'd go with Montreal. Price has had an excellent year and team is solid. That said, "got to be in it to win it" is no where more true than in the NHL playoffs. Can't wait for it to start tonight though I fear my Islanders will be a quick out. Only positive to that is that no more Nassau Coliseum.

Greyfox
04-15-2015, 10:20 AM
I think you mistakenly selected Winnipeg, you do realize they have no shot right?

Winnipeg is the underdog, but I saw them play a couple of weeks ago and they looked very impressive.

There is a lot of parity between the teams that are remaining in this race, especially with Los Angeles and Boston out of the picture.

There will be surprises.

ldiatone
04-15-2015, 10:24 AM
If I had to pick one to win the whole thing, I'd go with Montreal. Price has had an excellent year and team is solid. That said, "got to be in it to win it" is no where more true than in the NHL playoffs. Can't wait for it to start tonight though I fear my Islanders will be a quick out. Only positive to that is that no more Nassau Coliseum.
are the NYI playing in the new arena 2nite??

HoofedInTheChest
04-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Montreal is nothing more than a bubble team with an elite goalie. The Habs lack goal scoring, and with Pacioretty still out of the lineup you are going to see low scoring games. This was the hardest series to handicap, Ottawa has it going on right now but i feel they have been playing playoff hockey for the last 2 months, and the gas tank has to empty out at some point. Ottawa lacks experience in the playoffs and their secondary scoring is just as bad as the Habs, but Ottawa plays a better puck possession game, while the Habs score-adjusted Fenwick is worse than Edmonton’s, Price has erased all those flaws. There are so many other variables in this series you could make a case for both teams, but having said all that, Montreal will not be coming out of the East.

Greyfox is absolutely right, the parity between the Division winners and the Wildcard teams is very close, and i believe there will be upsets. When i looked at the matchups there were 3 or 4 series that gave me fits, it’s a very tough year to make predictions.

The Boston Bruins fired General Manager Peter Chiarelli today, i guess winning a Stanley Cup and an appearance in the finals wasn’t enough to save his job. My guess would be his miss-management of the cap was his undoing, that and letting Seguin walk away. Last season Iggy hit his bonuses and that put the Bruins over the salary cap, and were fined $4 million against this years cap. They were forced to trade Boychuck to the Islanders to shed salary, and then he did not replace Iggy’s goal production this season, that coupled with injuries is a recipe for disaster.

OTM Al
04-15-2015, 04:32 PM
are the NYI playing in the new arena 2nite??

No, I mean after they get bounced.

OTM Al
04-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Montreal is nothing more than a bubble team with an elite goalie.

You mean like LA last year?

Stillriledup
04-15-2015, 05:03 PM

Isles can make a deep run. I know that sounds crazy, but just bear with me here. Be confident, when you have talent and hunger and heart, anything is possible.

HoofedInTheChest
04-15-2015, 05:57 PM
You mean like LA last year?
You can’t compare the two, this season L.A. had the best possession ratings at 54.9% of score-adjusted shot attempts, and had the 13th best goal differential (+0.22 per game), Montreal was at the bottom of the league.

This season LA went 2-8 in shootouts, and went 1-7 in overtime, the randomness involved in overtime/shootouts has to be taken into account. Basically the Kings went 3-15 in overtime/shootouts whereas the year before they were 12-8. The Kings possession stats last year were 57.2% of score adjusted shot attempts and have declined to 54.9% this season. That decline was the difference between making the playoffs and not.

Winning 2 cups in 3 years has a serious fatigue effect on teams, as well as declining production from their elite goal scorers.

Their blueline wasn’t as deep this season after losing Willie Mitchell and Slava Voynov. Drew Doughty averaged 29:02 per game, and Robyn Regehr playing 21:00 per game was asking a lot from these defensemen.

Last season the Kings had balanced scoring and superior puck possession, can you say the same about Montreal this year?

If you remove Carey Price from the Habs, do they even make the playoffs?

What i am trying to say is, Montreal relies on one man to get the job done, Price has to compensate for the teams shortcomings, that was not the case in L.A. last season.

Greyfox
04-15-2015, 06:46 PM
This season LA went 2-8 in shootouts, .

....and if they have had halved those shootouts they'd be in the playoffs.

OTM Al
04-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Best game by Islanders in a couple months. May be a good series.

Greyfox
04-17-2015, 05:10 PM
The NHL Draft Lottery

Buffalo, Arizona, and Toronto's managements engineered their teams so as to make it difficult for their players to win games no matter how hard they tried.
Fans in those cities were even booing when their teams scored goals.
Edmonton's team was just plain weak and the management wasn't deliberately trying to have them lose. They were poor already.

The reason management and fans wanted their teams to lose was because there are two players in this years draft who promise to be "generational talents."
They are Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel.

Well there will be a lot of interest on Saturday evening when between periods of the Rangers - Penguins game on Saturday night about 8 pm EDT, the draw for that top pick will be made.

The 4 poorest teams have a 54.5 % chance of getting that top pick, which will most likely be McDavid.
But that means 10 teams who also didn't make the playoffs will have a 45.5 % chance of grabbing that prize as well.
So those teams that tanked, may not have done themselves as much of a favor as they thought if say, Boston or Los Angeles has a ping pong ball that pops out first.

The chances of each team are as follows:

Buffalo 20%
Arizona 13.5
Edmonton 11.5
Toronto 9.5
Carolina 8.5
New Jersey 7.5
Philadelphia 6.5
Columbus 6
San Jose 5
Colorado 3.5
Florida 3
Dallas 2.5
Los Angeles 2
Boston 1

Personally, I'm hoping that the top prize goes to that group with a 45.5% chance.

MutuelClerk
04-18-2015, 06:12 PM
I've seen McDavid five times. The last time he was truly a man among boys. And I'm rooting for the 9.5%. As they say in gambling. Cmon baby ONE TIME!!!!!!!!! Fingers crossed.

HoofedInTheChest
04-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Please explain to me how Toronto “engineered” their fall from grace?

I have to call bullsh*t on this one. The Leafs were simply a very bad team, it was the same scenario over the last 3 seasons, they played great for 41 games and then sewered the remaining 41 games. They unloaded Franson, Clarkson, Winnik and Santorelli for cap relief and draft picks. Losing those 4 players really had no affect on the clubs results, they would have ended up in the same position with them in the lineup, they were support players. The core players still remain with the Buds, and their ice time did not change throughout the season, their goaltending did not change throughout the season, and they did not inject any of their top prospects to the big club for fear of them being influenced by the toxic environment. The only reason the Leafs made the playoffs 2 years ago was the short 48 game season due to the lockout, this team was not built to withstand a 82 game season. I really did not see anything fishy with the way the team was handled through the stretch run, so i have a hard time with your remarks. Buffalo on the other hand.....

Connor McDavid is the only true contender for the first overall pick, any GM that gets up and selects Jack Eichel with the first pick will be an automatic donkey, it’s not going to happen.

“So those teams that tanked, may not have done themselves as much of a favor as they thought”

How do you figure? The top ten prospects in this year’s draft are rock solid, i would be very happy with Strome or Marner or Hanifin. This is the deepest draft in 20 years, it was well worth the "tank" in my opinion.

Ultimately you want to see Connor McDavid go to a big market if you really want the game to grow, burying him in Arizona, Edmonton, Carolina, or Florida does not help the league at all.

And yes, i want to see L.A. get the lottery pick and land another franchise player, they don’t have enough of those already..... :rolleyes:

Greyfox
04-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Please explain to me how Toronto “engineered” their fall from grace?

I have to call bullsh*t on this one.

They still had a shot at playoffs before firing Randy Carlyle.
You didn't like Carlyle, but he got more out of the players than Nonis anticipated. He used the earliest sign of decline to pull the pin on Carlyle, probably knowing the Assistant replacement wouldn't do much.
They traded for future upgrades with Winnick and Jokinen, no intent to improve this year's chances.

Greyfox
04-18-2015, 07:32 PM
How do you figure? The top ten prospects in this year’s draft are rock solid, i would be very happy with Strome or Marner or Hanifin. This is the deepest draft in 20 years, it was well worth the "tank" in my opinion.

I'm well aware that this draft goes deep.

I don't believe in "tanking" period. It sends a poor message to the players who are left while the ship is sinking.

HoofedInTheChest
04-18-2015, 07:59 PM
They still had a shot at playoffs before firing Randy Carlyle.
You didn't like Carlyle, but he got more out of the players than Nonis anticipated. He used the earliest sign of decline to pull the pin on Carlyle, probably knowing the Assistant replacement wouldn't do much.
They traded for future upgrades with Winnick and Jokinen, no intent to improve this year's chances.
How many times did Carlyle get the Leafs into the playoffs in an 82 game season?

How many times did the Leafs crash and burn under Carlyle in the second half of the season?

This season was all about the evaluation, Shanny wanted to see for himself how bad this team and organization was. After the firing he walked into the dressing room and told the players that he was evaluating the players for the rest of the season, and wanted to know how bad they wanted to stay in Toronto? They purposely introduced a “defensive only” system to evaluate the depth on the team, and the players failed miserably, I could have told him that.

The Leafs were up against the cap, maybe $200k in wiggle room, how were they supposed to get better at the deadline? They traded Clarkson and freed up $5 mill in conditional cap space with Horton, which they can only use once they have hit the ceiling. They took on bad salaries (Horton, Brewer, Jokinen) to rid themselves of problem players, there was no room for aqusitions.

HoofedInTheChest
04-18-2015, 08:03 PM
I'm well aware that this draft goes deep.

I don't believe in "tanking" period. It sends a poor message to the players who are left while the ship is sinking.
So you are saying that the coaches and management told the players to lose purposely?

HoofedInTheChest
04-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Edmonton, pffft.

What a waste, the boneheads of hockey get another gem.

Greyfox
04-18-2015, 08:20 PM
So you are saying that the coaches and management told the players to lose purposely?

Not at all.
Management engineered trades to weaken their teams.

And can you believe, Edmonton Oilers, which didn't do that won #1 Pick in the draft.
They previously drafted first three times in the last four years for
1. Taylor Hall
2. Ryan Nugent Hopkins
3. Nail Yakupov
and now
probably Connor McDavid.

Unbelievable!

Personally, the draft didn't seem very transparent.
I would have rather seen a lottery ball pulled and shown immediately.

Greyfox
04-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Edmonton, pffft.

What a waste, the boneheads of hockey get another gem.

We agree there.
Now GM McTavish will probably toss out Todd Nelson who had inspired the young bucks after Darrel Eakins almost ruined them.
Nelson had them trending in the right direction at the end.

HoofedInTheChest
04-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Personally, the draft didn't seem very transparent.
I would have rather seen a lottery ball pulled and shown immediately.
I agree, but at the same time that wasn't the destination of choice for the NHL, so i believe it was on the up and up. They ultimately wanted him in a big media market, and i wouldn't call Edmonton a media centre.

Poor Connor, did you see his expression? He didn't seem all that excited about his new team, who can blame him.

Well it looks like my Leafs will end up with Dylan Strome, i'm cool with that. Now we have two CHL leading scorers on the Marlies.

MutuelClerk
04-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Hoofed, I'm also a Leaf fan. Don't you think when Randy was fired upper management was hoping and expecting the team to really flounder? The timing of the firing was strange. Just before a west coast trip against all those Californian teams. I agree the Leafs were a marginal playoff team at best. Management knew how fragile this teams psyche is/was. Everyone knows. They've proved it year after year and have stayed with this core way too long. I just wish they did it sooner. Like one more spot sooner.

The Oilers will be moving some players. Having all the picks they've had they have mostly drafted forwards. In my dream world the Leafs trade them Dion and eat a lot of his salary and get one of these forwards. Strome is a really good player. Hopefully in the dealing that's about to be done we acquire more picks and actually draft well.

Greyfox
04-18-2015, 09:16 PM
I agree, but at the same time that wasn't the destination of choice for the NHL, so i believe it was on the up and up.

It probably was on the up and up as I think each of the 14 teams had representatives watching when the balls came out.
It just wasn't that transparent to the fans watching as we were on TV.

But when the billionaire owner of the Oilers Darrel Katz (owns Rexall Drugs) gets that many first rounders, look for the draft to be changed next year.

HoofedInTheChest
04-18-2015, 09:51 PM
It probably was on the up and up as I think each of the 14 teams had representatives watching when the balls came out.
It just wasn't that transparent to the fans watching as we were on TV.

But when the billionaire owner of the Oilers Darrel Katz (owns Rexall Drugs) gets that many first rounders, look for the draft to be changed next year.
From what i have herd, the bottom 3 teams are eliminated from the lottery next year, to curb tanking. That doesn't bode well for the Leafs, they are going to suck the big one for the next 2 or 3 years, after the purge this summer.

I have a feeling that Phaneuf is going to end up in Edmonton next year, good luck with that! :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
04-18-2015, 10:28 PM
Hoofed, I'm also a Leaf fan. Don't you think when Randy was fired upper management was hoping and expecting the team to really flounder? The timing of the firing was strange. Just before a west coast trip against all those Californian teams. I agree the Leafs were a marginal playoff team at best. Management knew how fragile this teams psyche is/was. Everyone knows. They've proved it year after year and have stayed with this core way too long. I just wish they did it sooner. Like one more spot sooner.

The Oilers will be moving some players. Having all the picks they've had they have mostly drafted forwards. In my dream world the Leafs trade them Dion and eat a lot of his salary and get one of these forwards. Strome is a really good player. Hopefully in the dealing that's about to be done we acquire more picks and actually draft well.
Not at all strange, the Leafs were a run and gun hockey team, and i agree with you guys that he got the most out of this club. But Shanny knew that a run and gun system would never have success in the playoffs, and the Stanley Cup has never been won by a run and gun system. Randy was told to implement a defensive system this year, and the players tuned him out. FatboyPhil came right out and said i'm not doing that, that will have an effect on my production. They were forced to fire Randy after the team tuned him out, and in walked Peter Horachek. Horachek pleaded with the team to play a 5-5-5 system, and they tuned him out as well, that lasted about 2 or 3 games. The whole exercise was to see who could actually play a two way game, and who was worth keeping around for next season. As it turns out, none of them were worth keeping, they are some of the most selfish, self centred d-bags i have ever layed my eyes on, good riddance!

Shanny knew that he needed a new GM first and foremost, and it would have been pointless to get a new coach last summer because the new GM would want to bring in his own people. So he gave Randy an extension to bide his time until he cleaned house.

At the beginning of the season, Steve Spott was explaining a new breakout system to the players, and fatboy said i'm not doing that! Spott went to Carlyle and said they are not willing to try, and Carlyle said, it doesn't matter, you and i will be gone by Christmas.

Edmonton was very interested in Dion at the trade deadline, so was Detroit oddly enough.

I would keep Reilly and JVR, and ship the rest of them out of town, which i think is the plan.

HoofedInTheChest
04-19-2015, 01:05 PM
It must be nice to have MLSE money, god knows they are not responsible with it. After the dust settled from ‘Black Sunday”, MLSE is on the hook for $11 million owing to Dave Nonis, Randy Carlyle, Dave Poulin and Claude Loiselle. That number increases significantly if you add the $27 million Nathan Horton will be paid not to play for the Leafs. Then we come to the compliance buyouts of Tim Gleason and Mikhail Grabovski, which will cost the Leafs $20.5 million after this season.

To put it into perspective, the Leafs are shelling out a total of $58.5 million to personnel that are no longer with the organization, the Calgary Flames have a payroll of $53,236,667 million in 2015. A good GM is worth his weight in gold.

Stillriledup
04-19-2015, 09:41 PM
It must be nice to have MLSE money, god knows they are not responsible with it. After the dust settled from ‘Black Sunday”, MLSE is on the hook for $11 million owing to Dave Nonis, Randy Carlyle, Dave Poulin and Claude Loiselle. That number increases significantly if you add the $27 million Nathan Horton will be paid not to play for the Leafs. Then we come to the compliance buyouts of Tim Gleason and Mikhail Grabovski, which will cost the Leafs $20.5 million after this season.

To put it into perspective, the Leafs are shelling out a total of $58.5 million to personnel that are no longer with the organization, the Calgary Flames have a payroll of $53,236,667 million in 2015. A good GM is worth his weight in gold.

The Horton situation was a "swap" with another team, they swapped "bad contracts".

I have to really question the long term signing for huge dollars of this Horton guy, he had serious injuries, concussions and whatnut, why give him a long and expensive contract, that's really dumb.

MutuelClerk
04-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Being a Leaf fan I'm glad they did.

HoofedInTheChest
04-19-2015, 11:15 PM
The Horton situation was a "swap" with another team, they swapped "bad contracts".

I have to really question the long term signing for huge dollars of this Horton guy, he had serious injuries, concussions and whatnut, why give him a long and expensive contract, that's really dumb.
Every hockey player has injuries.

On July 5, 2013, Horton signed a seven-year free agent contract worth $37.1 million with the Columbus Blue Jackets. The part that was really stupid was Columbus did not insure his contract, which is unheard of with big contracts. His concussion injuries were not the problem, in 2014 he was diagnosed with a degenerative back injury that would end his career. Seeing that he was not insured, his cap hit with Columbus would remain on the books until the end of his contract, and Columbus couldn’t stomach paying a player that wasn’t in the lineup.

The Leafs made a horrible acquisition in David Clarkson, and was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for GM Dave Nonis. The Leafs desperately wanted Clarkson off the books, and seeing that they used up all their compliance buyouts, trading him was the only option. In 2015, Columbus and Toronto swapped players, they both had similar contracts and Columbus just wanted a body on the ice for the money they were paying out. One thing Toronto has is a ton of money, and what they really needed was cap space. So Toronto took on Horton’s contract knowing he was on long term injured reserve, which in turn relieved them of $5 mill in conditional cap space. They can’t sign another player to a long term contract with that money, but if they reach the cap ceiling, they have an extra $5 mill to work with every season until the contact expires. In the end, the Leafs will save $200 K with this deal.

How many bosses would be willing to fork out $27 mill for one of your mistakes?....... only in Toronto.

HoofedInTheChest
04-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Being a Leaf fan I'm glad they did.
You and me both, the funny part is Clarkson only played 2 games for Columbus before a season ending injury. :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
04-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Looking back at the last few #1 picks overall at the draft (excluding Aaron Ekblad because he is a defenseman) and their production in their final year of Junior Hockey. Below are their point totals compared to this seasons prospects at the draft, particularly Strome and Marner. McDavid was out six weeks with a broken hand so it doesn’t reflect the true numbers that he would have put up. The point being, this draft is really deep, and for those that are bummed out over the draft lottery, there are some real gems to be had.

Taylor Hall – 106 Points
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – 106 Points
Nail Yakupov – 101 Points
Nathan MacKinnon – 75 Points

Greyfox
04-21-2015, 04:18 PM
It must be nice to have MLSE money, god knows they are not responsible with it. .

With your interest in the Maple Leafs, you'll probably enjoy this article from the Financial Post which outlines how the Leafs are selling an unsatisfactory product (for years) and yet remain the most valuable franchise in the NHL.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/despite-dismal-product-maple-leafs-benefit-from-apple-esque-halo

HoofedInTheChest
04-21-2015, 06:59 PM
It isn’t so much that the Leafs fan base are getting duped into buying tickets every year, in the end it’s the corporate money that drives that team. If you ever watch the people in the platinum seats, they aren’t paying attention to the game, they are always late after an intermission, and it appears like they don’t even care with what’s going on. As long as the corporate money is there, they will always have healthy profits.

The problem now is, Rogers spent $5 Billion on the TV rights and they are losing revenue with the Leafs out of the playoffs. Rogers has made a huge investment in buying the team, buying the TV rights, owning the media that broadcasts the games, and so forth, the trickle down effect is hurting their bottom line.

I believe the decisions that have been made recently are the correct ones, a proper rebuild that consists of building the organization through the draft, and building a model that will have success for years to come, much like the Detroit model.

HoofedInTheChest
04-23-2015, 07:49 AM
I have to give credit where credit is due, SRU called that one, give yourself a cookie.

I really sewered that prediction, and i’m not going to make excuses for the Jets, they were beat by a better team.

I still think Anaheim has flaws, but i foresee an easier matchup in the second round.

ldiatone
04-23-2015, 10:05 AM
pens done.

Greyfox
04-23-2015, 10:09 AM
I really sewered that prediction, and i’m not going to make excuses for the Jets, they were beat by a better team.

I still think Anaheim has flaws, but i foresee an easier matchup in the second round.

Anaheim didn't compile 109 points in the tough Western Division in the regular season without being very solid.
Winnipeg's misfortune was probably meeting the Ducks in the first round.
That said, I felt that Winnipeg played one heck of a good series.
In those first three games they were leading Anaheim going into the third period but couldn't hold it.
Had they been able to get an insurance marker in any of those first three games the series may have been different.
I think Coach Paul Maurice did a great job with this team from where it was last year.
Also, I think that Winnipeg made Anaheim pay for their wins here as some tremendously heavy hits were laid out.
Anaheim can be thankful it only went four games as they'd be pretty softened up had it gone longer.

Stillriledup
04-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Anaheim didn't compile 109 points in the tough Western Division in the regular season without being very solid.
Winnipeg's misfortune was probably meeting the Ducks in the first round.
That said, I felt that Winnipeg played one heck of a good series.
In those first three games they were leading Anaheim going into the third period but couldn't hold it.
Had they been able to get an insurance marker in any of those first three games the series may have been different.
I think Coach Paul Maurice did a great job with this team from where it was last year.
Also, I think that Winnipeg made Anaheim pay for their wins here as some tremendously heavy hits were laid out.
Anaheim can be thankful it only went four games as they'd be pretty softened up had it gone longer.

Ducks know that in order to win the cup you can't play around letting teams hang around, you can't be involved in 6 and 7 game series and figure to have enough gas left. Huge game tonight for Anaheim in Van, they can get more rest if Van wins tonight.

HoofedInTheChest
04-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Ducks know that in order to win the cup you can't play around letting teams hang around, you can't be involved in 6 and 7 game series and figure to have enough gas left. Huge game tonight for Anaheim in Van, they can get more rest if Van wins tonight.
You can’t be serious with this statement, the Ducks led the league in 1 goal games this season, as well as having the worst goal differential of all playoff teams. Through 4 games in the playoffs, the Ducks had the lead for 38 minutes out of 245:12 minutes, that is not exactly dominating hockey. Getting a sweep wasn’t exactly by design.

Anaheim Ducks

- Suspect Goaltending
- Unsuccessful Coach (never gone past the second round)
- Mediocre Power Play
- Mediocre Penality Kill
- Ranked 13th Fenwick/Corsi (51.68 & 51.21 respectively)
- Shots For % - 50.3% (allow as many as they take)

The fact that the Jets started the series with 8 serious injuries (mostly broken bones) was in your favor, the Jets were gassed and injured from trying to make the playoffs. I can guarantee that the Ducks had a piece taken out of them in the first round, but the time off should help, that and they have a weak opponent in the second round, but the Conference Final will be a different story.

The signing of Ryan Kesler last summer was brilliant, the one two punch up the middle is as good as anyone in the league, and i thought Cogliano, Silfverberg, Vatanen and Etem had a great first round.

Stillriledup
04-24-2015, 09:05 PM
You can’t be serious with this statement, the Ducks led the league in 1 goal games this season, as well as having the worst goal differential of all playoff teams. Through 4 games in the playoffs, the Ducks had the lead for 38 minutes out of 245:12 minutes, that is not exactly dominating hockey. Getting a sweep wasn’t exactly by design.

Anaheim Ducks

- Suspect Goaltending
- Unsuccessful Coach (never gone past the second round)
- Mediocre Power Play
- Mediocre Penality Kill
- Ranked 13th Fenwick/Corsi (51.68 & 51.21 respectively)
- Shots For % - 50.3% (allow as many as they take)

The fact that the Jets started the series with 8 serious injuries (mostly broken bones) was in your favor, the Jets were gassed and injured from trying to make the playoffs. I can guarantee that the Ducks had a piece taken out of them in the first round, but the time off should help, that and they have a weak opponent in the second round, but the Conference Final will be a different story.

The signing of Ryan Kesler last summer was brilliant, the one two punch up the middle is as good as anyone in the league, and i thought Cogliano, Silfverberg, Vatanen and Etem had a great first round.

Wow, where to start.

A 5-4 win is equivalent to an NBA team winning 100-80, so even though it SEEMS close, some of these games are not.

Anaheim was on cruise control, they have WAY more in the tank, they were never in doubt to win that series, i would have been shocked if they lost one game to those guys, jets aren't much stock at this point.

The Ducks are a team that doesn't waste energy they don't have to, they sleepwalk early in games, a lot of those 1 goal wins were games where they were down 1 or 2 goals heading into the 3rd period, they're impressive wins...do we want to hold it against the Ducks for getting down in the first place? You could if you want, but i'm not going to, they play better from behind.

The coach is great, his "underachieving" was done with the Caps, who are generally an underachieving organization, Boudreau did so well with those guys in the reg season that they looked like a heavy favorite who was flopping and because of that, BB got blamed when in reality, BB got those guys to completely overachieve, the perception was that it was somehow Boudreau's fault the Caps didnt go deeper despite being 100+ point teams, but i won't hold that against him, this Ducks team is made of Titanium, they're as mentally tough as anyone in the game (unlike Ovechkin who's a softie and choker) so i don't think BB is "unsuccessful". Its HARD to win Cups and whatnut, BB has never had a team who was SUPPOSED to win that didn't.

I agree about the Goalie, i dont know how good anderson is, hopefully he wont get exposed in later rounds or even the next round.

I dont know anything about fenwick corsi, but they don't take into consideration guts and heart. You got a guy like Emerson Etem who's what, the 10th best player on the team? They're loaded with GREAT players who are super hungry and now they're rested while Cgy and Van battle in a very emotional series, Ducks could sweep next round too, they probably wont but they could.

HoofedInTheChest
04-24-2015, 09:56 PM
“A 5-4 win is equivalent to an NBA team winning 100-80, so even though it SEEMS close, some of these games are not.”

Seriously dude? That is a terrible analogy, you are 1 shot away from a tie game.

“jets aren't much stock at this point.”

The Jets were the one team that no one wanted to face in the playoffs. They are trending in the right direction and will be a force for years to come. You need a little luck in the playoffs, whether it’s a couple of lucky bounces or team health, you need luck. Saying they were on “cruise control” is comical, they had their asses handed to them by the Jets. I have to give the Ducks credit, they are resilient.

“The coach is great, his "underachieving" was done with the Caps, who are generally an underachieving organization”

Who coached the Ducks last season? And what round did they get punted?

Last season the Ducks “Special Teams” were a disgrace, and they addressed those problems last summer. Guess what? Their “Special Teams” numbers are even worse this season.

You just admitted that the goaltending is suspect, well the flaws that i have pointed out above puts more onus on the goaltending for success, may the hockey gods be with you.

I’m not trying to say that the Ducks are a sh*tty team, they are a very very good team, but you need certain qualities to take the big prize, and i just don’t see it.

HoofedInTheChest
04-24-2015, 11:19 PM
The Edmonton Oilers have finally come to their senses with the hiring of Peter Chiarelli as President and General Manager. Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish have been given diminishing roles with the organization which was long overdue, these two boneheads had no business running a hockey club. Bob Nicholson deserves a lot of credit for having the stones to do the right thing, good on him.

This is a huge relief, i had visions of them ruining the development of Connor McDavid, or leaving him to twist in the wind in that cesspool of an organization. They need to go out and get a legitimate #1 goalie and shore up the defence core. As well, surround the core players with some good support players and this will be a very fun team to watch in the very near future, the Western Conference just got a whole lot deeper.

Maybe Chiarelli will have another momentary lapse of reason like he did with Seguin, and trade McDavid to the Leafs for next to nothing, i guy can dream.....

Stillriledup
04-24-2015, 11:32 PM
“A 5-4 win is equivalent to an NBA team winning 100-80, so even though it SEEMS close, some of these games are not.”

Seriously dude? That is a terrible analogy, you are 1 shot away from a tie game.

“jets aren't much stock at this point.”

The Jets were the one team that no one wanted to face in the playoffs. They are trending in the right direction and will be a force for years to come. You need a little luck in the playoffs, whether it’s a couple of lucky bounces or team health, you need luck. Saying they were on “cruise control” is comical, they had their asses handed to them by the Jets. I have to give the Ducks credit, they are resilient.

“The coach is great, his "underachieving" was done with the Caps, who are generally an underachieving organization”

Who coached the Ducks last season? And what round did they get punted?

Last season the Ducks “Special Teams” were a disgrace, and they addressed those problems last summer. Guess what? Their “Special Teams” numbers are even worse this season.

You just admitted that the goaltending is suspect, well the flaws that i have pointed out above puts more onus on the goaltending for success, may the hockey gods be with you.

I’m not trying to say that the Ducks are a sh*tty team, they are a very very good team, but you need certain qualities to take the big prize, and i just don’t see it.\

That 'one shot' is hard to get, if you lose 5-4 or 100-80, you finish the game with 80% of the amount of points the winning team had. Its a wonderful analogy, not all 1 goal games are "close". Jets were never in any of these games, even when they had the lead.

As far as who "nobody wanted to face" the reason teams didnt want to face them is because maybe of the cheap shot nature of their club, teams didnt want to lose players for the rest of the season playing a team with no chance. The Jets were equivalent to a "16 seed" playing a 1 seed in the March Madness tournament, in other words, no shot, no prayer no how.

Ducks had way more in reserve, they toyed with the Jets.

Stillriledup
04-24-2015, 11:33 PM
The Edmonton Oilers have finally come to their senses with the hiring of Peter Chiarelli as President and General Manager. Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish have been given diminishing roles with the organization which was long overdue, these two boneheads had no business running a hockey club. Bob Nicholson deserves a lot of credit for having the stones to do the right thing, good on him.

This is a huge relief, i had visions of them ruining the development of Connor McDavid, or leaving him to twist in the wind in that cesspool of an organization. They need to go out and get a legitimate #1 goalie and shore up the defence core. As well, surround the core players with some good support players and this will be a very fun team to watch in the very near future, the Western Conference just got a whole lot deeper.

Maybe Chiarelli will have another momentary lapse of reason like he did with Seguin, and trade McDavid to the Leafs for next to nothing, i guy can dream.....

If you are a leafs fan why would you care if they ruin mcdavid or not? Are you a fan of the Oilers? I dont understand.

Greyfox
04-25-2015, 12:03 AM

Chiarelli said in his Press Conference that he had to trade Seguin due to "underlying issues" that he didn't want to discuss.
It was not because of lack of talent.

HoofedInTheChest
04-25-2015, 12:21 AM
If you are a leafs fan why would you care if they ruin mcdavid or not? Are you a fan of the Oilers? I dont understand.
We have to keep the cupboard stocked for Team Canada.

HoofedInTheChest
04-25-2015, 12:26 AM
\

That 'one shot' is hard to get, if you lose 5-4 or 100-80, you finish the game with 80% of the amount of points the winning team had. Its a wonderful analogy, not all 1 goal games are "close". Jets were never in any of these games, even when they had the lead.

As far as who "nobody wanted to face" the reason teams didnt want to face them is because maybe of the cheap shot nature of their club, teams didnt want to lose players for the rest of the season playing a team with no chance. The Jets were equivalent to a "16 seed" playing a 1 seed in the March Madness tournament, in other words, no shot, no prayer no how.

Ducks had way more in reserve, they toyed with the Jets.
I think you suffer from delusions of grandeur.

So when your team has a 1 goal lead you consider it a lock?
Personally i don't feel comfortable with a 3 goal lead.

There was nothing "cheap" about the Jets, that was ol time hockey, the way the game is supposed to be played.

HoofedInTheChest
04-25-2015, 12:35 AM
Chiarelli said in his Press Conference that he had to trade Seguin due to "underlying issues" that he didn't want to discuss.
It was not because of lack of talent.
Sure the kid liked to party, but show me a hockey player that doesn't drink like a fish. For that matter, you could say the same about management. The bus is always full of "pops" after every game.

Beer and hockey go hand in hand, and for Jarret Stoll, you can throw in some cocaine and ecstasy for good measure. :lol:

MutuelClerk
04-25-2015, 01:07 AM
The Jets were the team in the playoffs no one wanted to face until Byfugien went south.

HoofedInTheChest
04-25-2015, 01:37 AM
The Jets were the team in the playoffs no one wanted to face until Byfugien went south.
I hear ya, he was chasing the game a little too much. Ya gotta let the game come to you, he didn't look like a veteran at all.

I have some good news for you Mutuel, William Nylander was on Leafs Lunch a couple of days ago, as well as Connor Brown. When we drafted Nylander last summer he weighed 170 pounds, when he walked onto the set the boys were floored by his appearance, the kid is ripped. He has been working out with Gary Roberts and now weighs 195. He has been putting up 1.5 points per game with the Marlies since coming over from Sweden.

The playoffs kick off tomorrow for the Marlies against the Grand Rapids Griffins, i've got tickets for Sundays game. Our top prospects are looking really good, "Freddie the Goat" is tearing up the Q, and Connor Brown won the rookie scoring title in the AHL. Hopefully we get Strome this summer, but i have a feeling that Arizona is going to grab him with the third pick. Maybe Marner or Hanifin with the fourth pick, i don't know, but i really want Strome. Shanny is over in Europe right now scouting prospects.

Stillriledup
04-25-2015, 02:16 AM
I think you suffer from delusions of grandeur.

So when your team has a 1 goal lead you consider it a lock?
Personally i don't feel comfortable with a 3 goal lead.

There was nothing "cheap" about the Jets, that was ol time hockey, the way the game is supposed to be played.

First of all, they're not my team, my comments are based on just watching the games, its not just ANY 1 goal lead, sometimes a 1 goal lead is tenuous, in this series, it was anything but.

Jets are a bunch of cheap shot artists, if you saw the games you know what i mean. We can agree to disagree.

Stillriledup
04-25-2015, 02:18 AM

I think Anaheim wouldn't mind facing these guys more, they were a soft out, for a supposed tough team, all they had was a bunch of cheap hits and weak play, they were never any threat to win the series, much less any of the games.

MutuelClerk
04-25-2015, 07:26 AM
Hoofed, good to hear that about Nylander. Anyone working out with Gary Roberts is going about things the right way. I'm still unsure about Connor Brown I have a feeling he rode the back of McDavid as a junior. I hope I'm wrong. I want Strome also. I'm not sold on Marner. Then again I felt the same way about Patrick Kane as a junior. Same program, close to the same size. If we end up drafting him lets hope he can produce the same results.

ldiatone
04-25-2015, 11:18 AM
pens 0-7 in last OT game played in the playoffs going back.

Greyfox
04-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Sure the kid liked to party, but show me a hockey player that doesn't drink like a fish. For that matter, you could say the same about management. The bus is always full of "pops" after every game.

Beer and hockey go hand in hand, and for Jarret Stoll, you can throw in some cocaine and ecstasy for good measure. :lol:

I'm sure most players like a wobbly pop or two.
But in contrast to a decade ago, the game has changed markedly and so have the expectations on the players regarding alcohol or drug consumption.
Gone are the days when a Doug Harvey could crack a dozen brewskis and expect to still be on the team.
Chiarelli didn't say what Seguin's issues were, but they must have crossed some reasonable line.
On the other hand, Seguin has been quoted as saying that he could not have improved in Boston as he did in Dallas.
Perhaps getting traded forced him to reevaluate whatever behavior he was engaging in. In effect, the trade matured him.

Stillriledup
04-25-2015, 05:59 PM
buckle up *itches! Isles and Caps Game 7 coming up!!

MutuelClerk
04-25-2015, 07:49 PM
Any Game 7 in hockey is great. The contestants don't really matter. I will be rooting Isles. I enjoy rooting against OV. I won't say he's overrated but I will say he isn't the best Russian forward in the game and there's NO WAY he's the best #8 in the game.

Greyfox
04-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Any Game 7 in hockey is great. The contestants don't really matter. I will be rooting Isles. I enjoy rooting against OV. I won't say he's overrated but I will say he isn't the best Russian forward in the game and there's NO WAY he's the best #8 in the game.

Any team in the NHL would love to have him.

HoofedInTheChest
04-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Hoofed, good to hear that about Nylander. Anyone working out with Gary Roberts is going about things the right way. I'm still unsure about Connor Brown I have a feeling he rode the back of McDavid as a junior. I hope I'm wrong. I want Strome also. I'm not sold on Marner. Then again I felt the same way about Patrick Kane as a junior. Same program, close to the same size. If we end up drafting him lets hope he can produce the same results.
Marlies went 2-0 over the weekend, the boys need 1 more to advance. I have to say i was really impressed with Connor Brown, he is a very elusive hockey player, not the biggest guy on the ice but good luck trying to hit him. It looks like Matt Frattin has found his game again which is good news. All in all we have some good prospects on the farm, and it's not as dire as people make them out to be, the defence core looks solid.

Greyfox
04-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Sorry about your Islanders Al.
For the most part they played solid hockey.
But when a team only manufactures 11 shots on goal in any game, chances are they will lose...and they did.

OTM Al
04-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Adios Nassau Coliseum. I will not miss you in the least. Good season for Isles. At beginning was just hoping they'd make it to the playoffs and they did. Got a little greedy along the way as well as they played at times. Unfortunately they were way too tight for the final game. 11 shots on goal for the whole game is not the way they got there. Now they have a little more experience and look for bigger and better things to come in the next few years.

OTM Al
04-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Sorry about your Islanders Al.
For the most part they played solid hockey.
But when a team only manufactures 11 shots on goal in any game, chances are they will lose...and they did.

Looks like we were quite in synch this morning.

HoofedInTheChest
04-29-2015, 11:57 PM
Eastern Conference

Montreal
Tampa

Rangers
Washington

Western Conference

Minnesota
Chicago

Anaheim
Calgary

OTM Al
04-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Eastern Conference

Montreal
Tampa

Rangers
Washington

Western Conference

Minnesota
Chicago

Anaheim
Calgary
Like 3 of those but still like Montreal in the East for the reason named Price.

MutuelClerk
04-30-2015, 09:15 AM
I'll take Montreal, Rangers, Blackhawks, and I have a hunch on Calgary. Looking forward to the next round. Sports everywhere is really good right now. Well except maybe Baltimore....

Greyfox
05-01-2015, 04:27 PM
At his press conference today Mike Babcock said that he's going to take his time about deciding whether to stay in Detroit or look elsewhere.

Apparently money will not be an issue for Detroit should he decide to stay.
Also he wants to Coach.
"I don't want to be a general manager. I'm a coach,"

http://www.wmur.com/sports/red-wings-babcock-not-rushing-coaching-decision/32708162

MutuelClerk
05-02-2015, 08:28 AM
If money isn't an issue why is Babcock on the free agent market? The Wings have been solid for quite awhile. I think what he says in a presser and what he wants in negotiation's will be two different things. Is it possible he and Holland don't get along? Being from western Canada and McDavid going to the Oilers. I think he'll end up there. Rutherford said things are all set in Pittsburgh. I'm not sure I believe that either.

Greyfox
05-02-2015, 09:03 AM
If money isn't an issue why is Babcock on the free agent market?

God bless anyone who stays in that war zone of Detroit for as long as Babcock has. That would be one reason to leave.
Also, after awhile all coaches get the feeling that they need a change or they feel their schtick is getting stale with the players they have.
Or their players are past their best due date.
Detroit's owner is a billionaire so money is not an issue.
Babcock feels loyal to the organization and he's probably torn to a degree on the matter.
If he were wise, this is the time to leave.

MutuelClerk
05-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Babcock feels more loyalty to his fellow coaches than the Wings. His HUGE contract will reflect on other coaches in the future. He's long gone from the " war zone". I just don't think it will be the Leafs.

HoofedInTheChest
05-13-2015, 06:57 AM
Chris Cuthbert summed it up perfectly last night, “the only deficiency in Carey Price’s game is his ability to score goals”. All is right with the world today.

Now that the round robin is complete at the World Championships, Canada sits on top of Group A, and the U.S. sits on top of Group B, here’s hoping for a North American showdown. :ThmbUp:

MutuelClerk
05-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Holtby played great in defeat. He has to be the most improved player in the league this season. Blackhawks better win this year the salary cap is about to crush them.

BlueChip@DRF
05-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Holtby played great in defeat. He has to be the most improved player in the league this season. Blackhawks better win this year the salary cap is about to crush them.

It was just that one play Holtby got caught off his feet.

Greyfox
05-14-2015, 09:30 AM

Both goalies played great.

The playoffs, as usual, are all about goal tending, goal tending, goal tending.

Stillriledup
05-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Both goalies played great.

The playoffs, as usual, are all about goal tending, goal tending, goal tending.

I love NHL and watch a lot of it, but that's the one thing i find that i don't love much about the game, how one team can skate circles around the other team and some games come down to goalie being able to win with an inferior team. Not saying it happened in this case because King and Holtby were both great, but sometimes you get a goalie who's great and the other goalie isn't nearly as good and when that happens, it almost doesn't matter how much better the team happens to be, they're going to lose.

You don't see that in other sports, usually the better team wins, not just one guy stealing games.

HoofedInTheChest
05-14-2015, 03:37 PM
I love NHL and watch a lot of it, but that's the one thing i find that i don't love much about the game, how one team can skate circles around the other team and some games come down to goalie being able to win with an inferior team. Not saying it happened in this case because King and Holtby were both great, but sometimes you get a goalie who's great and the other goalie isn't nearly as good and when that happens, it almost doesn't matter how much better the team happens to be, they're going to lose.

You don't see that in other sports, usually the better team wins, not just one guy stealing games.
There’s only a handful of elite goalies out there, and if you have one you have the advantage, the exception being Montreal. If the players out front allow the opposition to pepper your goalie, inevitably you will lose in the long run, a goalie can only save your bacon so many times. Goaltending is key in the playoffs, but if you lack goal scoring not even Jacques Plante can save you from elimination. Hockey is definitely a team game, a great goalie can save your ass but can he score? Can a goalie control puck possession? Can a goalie stop the cycle? Can a goalie clog up the neutral zone? Can a goalie separate a player from the puck? Can a goalie win faceoffs? Everyone on the ice has a key role, and those roles are just as important as the netminder, if you have flaws they will eventually be exposed no matter how good your goalie is.

Carey Price is considered the best goalie on the planet at the moment, well why did the Habs get eliminated?

Other than soccer and lacrosse, how many sports have a goalie?

cj
05-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Just another year in the life of a Caps fan.

Stillriledup
05-14-2015, 05:14 PM
There’s only a handful of elite goalies out there, and if you have one you have the advantage, the exception being Montreal. If the players out front allow the opposition to pepper your goalie, inevitably you will lose in the long run, a goalie can only save your bacon so many times. Goaltending is key in the playoffs, but if you lack goal scoring not even Jacques Plante can save you from elimination. Hockey is definitely a team game, a great goalie can save your ass but can he score? Can a goalie control puck possession? Can a goalie stop the cycle? Can a goalie clog up the neutral zone? Can a goalie separate a player from the puck? Can a goalie win faceoffs? Everyone on the ice has a key role, and those roles are just as important as the netminder, if you have flaws they will eventually be exposed no matter how good your goalie is.

Carey Price is considered the best goalie on the planet at the moment, well why did the Habs get eliminated?

Other than soccer and lacrosse, how many sports have a goalie?

Maybe he's not the best goalie though. If he was the best, his team would have won. Cam Ward won a Stanley Cup single handedly a bunch of years ago, nobody had even heard of him, was he 'the best goalie'? No, far from it. BUT, he turned OUT to be the 'best goalie' for a short time and won a cup because of it.

Even a great goalie can be a bit subpar and lose a series, my point is that the goalie position can be very influential and a red hot goalie can steal games that the team wouldn't have otherwise won. You don't often have one player 'stealing' games in other sports too often.

HoofedInTheChest
05-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Just another year in the life of a Caps fan.
You had a good run this year, the team bought into Barry Trotz’ “carpet defence” and pushed the Vegas favorites to the brink of elimination, that game could have gone either way last night. From what i understand, the Caps plan is to go with a youth movement next year due to free agency players that they can’t afford to keep, could make for some exciting hockey, i like young teams, they play with reckless abandon until they know better.

I actually have a little bit of respect for OV now, he finally stepped up and played the game like a man. Now he's flown over to Europe to get his ass handed to him once again by a North American team.

cj
05-14-2015, 06:22 PM
You had a good run this year, the team bought into Barry Trotz’ “carpet defence” and pushed the Vegas favorites to the brink of elimination, that game could have gone either way last night. From what i understand, the Caps plan is to go with a youth movement next year due to free agency players that they can’t afford to keep, could make for some exciting hockey, i like young teams, they play with reckless abandon until they know better.

I actually have a little bit of respect for OV now, he finally stepped up and played the game like a man. Now he's flown over to Europe to get his ass handed to him once again by a North American team.

LOL, good run? Get out of here with that. It is the 5th time they have blown a 3-1 lead, there is nothing good about that for me. Been a fan since the beginning.

I know they are supposed to be better, have a better coach, a better goaltender, but the end result is always the same. It is like Lucy holding the football, I'm Charlie and I try to kick it every time even though I know what is coming.

This video sums up the history of being a Caps fan.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=135993

HoofedInTheChest
05-14-2015, 06:54 PM
LOL, good run? Get out of here with that. It is the 5th time they have blown a 3-1 lead, there is nothing good about that for me. Been a fan since the beginning.

I know they are supposed to be better, have a better coach, a better goaltender, but the end result is always the same. It is like Lucy holding the football, I'm Charlie and I try to kick it every time even though I know what is coming.

There are fans out there that didn't get any playoff hockey this year, or for the last ten years for that matter. I thought they played a good defensive game that has been lacking with that organization, i didn't think they had it in them but they played an effective game that could have ended up in your favor, one sh*tty bounce last night ended your season.

I get where your coming from about the same old song and dance, your preaching to the choir here. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter, this years cup winner is coming from the west, none of the eastern teams have the depth to compete, these days it's all up the middle.

Stillriledup
05-14-2015, 07:16 PM

There's a difference though, i agree with Hoofed, it was a good run.

The differnce is in previous years, they were soft and lost due to 'choking'. This year, they were mentally tough, played super hard and just lost to a quality team who also played well and was mentally tough. They just ran into the wrong goalie and wrong team at the wrong time in history, all these games were very close, could have gone either way, they didn't lose last night because they were 'soft' and that's what happened during the Boudreau years.

MutuelClerk
05-14-2015, 07:52 PM
USA plays the Russians Saturday. The USA team is awfully young and will probably get crushed. It isn't like 1980 but our team has quite a few prospects on it facing mostly pros. Our goalie plays for St. johns. Two of their three goalies play in the NHL none of ours do. If they add OV, were probably dead. Canada has Crosby, Seguin, Duchene, the entire team is NHL players. Canada- Russia will be a good final. Hoofed....were Kessel or JVR asked to play for USA? They must have refused. Kind of upsets me. Sums up our Maple Leaf season.

HoofedInTheChest
05-14-2015, 08:14 PM
USA plays the Russians Saturday. The USA team is awfully young and will probably get crushed. It isn't like 1980 but our team has quite a few prospects on it facing mostly pros. Our goalie plays for St. johns. Two of their three goalies play in the NHL none of ours do. If they add OV, were probably dead. Canada has Crosby, Seguin, Duchene, the entire team is NHL players. Canada- Russia will be a good final. Hoofed....were Kessel or JVR asked to play for USA? They must have refused. Kind of upsets me. Sums up our Maple Leaf season.
I thought the same thing, where the f is Kessel? The year long holiday playing in Toronto wasn't enough of a break? He certainly wasn't playing hockey for 82 games, i guess night fishing with his buddies is more important.

Gardiner looks like a real POS out there, we really need to rid ourselves of that dead weight, he has been a healthy scratch on Team U.S.A and they opted to use a college player, lovely.

The U.S. look pretty mediocre in my opinion, there isn't a team in this tournament that can play with the Canadians, that is one high octane offence.

MutuelClerk
05-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Agree on Gardiner. Don't let JVR off the hook either. Where is he? I hope we keep him, his contract is very cap friendly and he's a talented, young player. But where the hell are these guys???

HoofedInTheChest
05-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Agree on Gardiner. Don't let JVR off the hook either. Where is he? I hope we keep him, his contract is very cap friendly and he's a talented, young player. But where the hell are these guys???
I think he was nursing some injuries this season. He had an unusual amount of maintenance days with the Leafs, Phaneuf didn't help matters when he body checked JVR.

God help our kids, Fatboy is hosting a hockey camp this summer.

HoofedInTheChest
05-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Eastern Conference

New York
Tampa

Western Conference

Anaheim
Chicago

Stillriledup
05-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Eastern Conference

New York
Tampa

Western Conference

Anaheim
Chicago

You think Anaheim might let Chicago win a game or 2? :D

MutuelClerk
05-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Blackhawks have to win. The salary cap crushes them next season when Toews and Kane get their raises and make uber cash. Maybe a original six showdown. I'm glad hockey's back I'm just not into hoops the way I used to be.

Greyfox
05-17-2015, 10:51 AM
http://www.iihfworlds2015.com/

After 1 period USA leads Czech Republic 2-0 for the Bronze Medal.

Canada plays Russia in a few hours for the Gold.
Crosby, Hall, and Eberle are as outstanding as any lines remaining in the NHL playoffs. Exciting stuff.

Mike Babcock, who is at the Worlds, says he'll make up his mind by this Wednesday whether or not to stay in Detroit.
He says that Detroit's offer is very favorable and he loves his job there.
Don Cherry keeps tweeting Babcock that the "grass isn't greener" in distant fields and Cherry has bin der dun dat.

Edmonton scribes believe the Oilers have secured the services of Todd McLellan but no announcement will be made until after the Gold Medal game.

Greyfox
05-17-2015, 12:29 PM
USA 3 CZECH REP 0

http://statspdf.iihf.com/Hydra/flags/30x22/USA.png3-0http://statspdf.iihf.com/Hydra/flags/30x22/CZE.png

USA was outshot.
Czech's had 39 shots, USA 16 !!

Next up Canada vs Russia (Crosby vs Ovechkin)

HoofedInTheChest
05-17-2015, 12:43 PM
They are going to bitch them up good, OV's second letdown of the season.

Congrats goes out to the U.S. on their Bronze medal, there's nothing like sticking it to the host country. The U.S. held their own against the Russians until the flood gates opened, for a bunch of kids they played exceptionally well, good stuff! :ThmbUp:

ldiatone
05-17-2015, 04:09 PM
USA 3 CZECH REP 0

http://statspdf.iihf.com/Hydra/flags/30x22/USA.png3-0http://statspdf.iihf.com/Hydra/flags/30x22/CZE.png

USA was outshot.
Czech's had 39 shots, USA 16 !!

4-zip Can. end of 2nd .

Greyfox
05-17-2015, 05:04 PM
GOLD

CANADA 6 RUSSIA 1

Canada's speed was just too much for the Ruskies.
Canada bombarded the Russian goalie throughout the entire game.

Canada 37 shots Russia 12 shots

MutuelClerk
05-17-2015, 11:56 PM
Canada's second period was just dominant. Well deserved victory. USA did great winning bronze. North American hockey is supreme.

Greyfox
05-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Edmonton Sun sports writer Terry Jones, who makes Michael Moore look like a skinny anorexic, is claiming that The Edmonton Oilers will announce the signing of Todd McLellan at a Press Conference today.
Jones usually is on the money on these sort of leaks.

HoofedInTheChest
05-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Edmonton Sun sports writer Terry Jones, who makes Michael Moore look like a skinny anorexic, is claiming that The Edmonton Oilers will announce the signing of Todd McLellan at a Press Conference today.
Jones usually is on the money on these sort of leaks.
Now they just need a starting goalie, 4 solid defensemen, and some elite support forwards and they are off to the races..... easier said than done.

McLellan was a great choice to coach the Oilers, next to Babcock he was the best candidate. From what i have herd, Hall and Eberle gave McLellan a ringing endorsement while at the World Championships, the future is looking bright in Oiler country. Pack some warm clothes my friend, you are stuck in the frozen tundra for the next few years.

Are you saying that Terry "Buffet" Jones is a 50/30 grinder?

Greyfox
05-19-2015, 11:43 AM
What's a 50/30 grinder?

With McLellan on board the Edmonton Fans are praying that Connor "McJesus" is at least half as good as the hype about him.

HoofedInTheChest
05-19-2015, 02:58 PM
What's a 50/30 grinder?

With McLellan on board the Edmonton Fans are praying that Connor "McJesus" is at least half as good as the hype about him.
Pant size, 50 Waist, 30 Leg.

Connor McJesus and the Erie Otters just got punted in the O Finals, the Shwa was much to much for the McNext One and co. One man doesn't solve all your problems, but i really love his skating, i just hope he can play net and defense on top of everything else.

Speaking of a 50/30 grinder, what do you think the odds are of Ken Hitchcock getting hired as the next coach in Toronto? Personally i want the Leafs to hire John Brophy, and tank for the next 3 years. Hitchcock would hold the players accountable and turn them into a respectable team too early...

Freddy the Goat will be the next Mark Messier in the NHL, you herd it here first.

HoofedInTheChest
05-20-2015, 12:56 PM
Babcock watch.....

-The Leafs and Sabres have been in a bidding war over Babcock this morning.

-Detroit made a final offer of $20 mill for 5 years, Babs is not returning to Detroit.

-Sabres have just pulled out of the Babcock chase. Looks like they couldn't match Leaf money.

-The three remaining teams, Toronto, St. Louis, San Jose.

-Just herd St.Louis is out of the mix.

Greyfox
05-20-2015, 01:07 PM
what do you think the odds are of Ken Hitchcock getting hired as the next coach in Toronto?

Hitchcock still has his job with St. Louis as I write.
Excellent coach with a brilliant hockey mind, but with too much emphasis on Defence for my liking.

Greyfox
05-20-2015, 01:11 PM

You're faster than yahoo news which was posted 5 minutes ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/buffalo-sabres--detroit-red-wings-out-of-mike-babcock-derby--reports-170250273.html;_ylt=A0LEVraHv1xVLSwA_IknnIlQ;_ylu= X3oDMTEybWxnZ2U1BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjAxMj dfMQRzZWMDc2M-

HoofedInTheChest
05-20-2015, 01:13 PM
You're faster than yahoo news which was posted 5 minutes ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/buffalo-sabres--detroit-red-wings-out-of-mike-babcock-derby--reports-170250273.html;_ylt=A0LEVraHv1xVLSwA_IknnIlQ;_ylu= X3oDMTEybWxnZ2U1BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjAxMj dfMQRzZWMDc2M-
I live in the centre of the hockey universe, it's 24/7 here.

MutuelClerk
05-20-2015, 01:13 PM
I hope Babcock stays a Wing and the Leafs hire Jeff Blashill the coach of the Griffins. Leafs aren't ready for quite awhile. Babcock can't make chicken salad out of chicken#$*@. As well as the Wings draft they need to tank a year or two themselves and not worry about their playoff streak. The Wings in the past 7-8 years have has much in the impact in the playoffs as the Leafs who have only made it once. The Leafs have no excuse always having a decent pick. The Wings draft great, just imagine them with a top 10 pick for two years in a row.

Greyfox
05-20-2015, 01:27 PM
I live in the centre of the hockey universe, it's 24/7 here.

Which is amazing as Toronto hasn't won the Cup since the 1960's, of course I'm guessing that you've never lived in Montreal, Edmonton, Winnipeg or Calgary where if a player sneezes it's in the news.

HoofedInTheChest
05-20-2015, 01:29 PM
I hope Babcock stays a Wing and the Leafs hire Jeff Blashill the coach of the Griffins. Leafs aren't ready for quite awhile. Babcock can't make chicken salad out of chicken#$*@. As well as the Wings draft they need to tank a year or two themselves and not worry about their playoff streak. The Wings in the past 7-8 years have has much in the impact in the playoffs as the Leafs who have only made it once. The Leafs have no excuse always having a decent pick. The Wings draft great, just imagine them with a top 10 pick for two years in a row.
Babcock has already announced that he is not returning to Detroit.

The Leafs private jet is scheduled to land in Detroit momentarily and depart soon after....

HoofedInTheChest
05-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Which is amazing as Toronto hasn't won the Cup since the 1960's, of course I'm guessing that you've never lived in Montreal, Edmonton, Winnipeg or Calgary where if a player sneezes it's in the news.
Yes that would be a guess.

HoofedInTheChest
05-20-2015, 02:08 PM
The Leafs are holding a press conference at 2:30pm or 3:00pm. You guys can guess the rest.... :jump:

Babcock signed an 8 year $50 Million deal to join the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Ladies and gentleman, the new coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs....

Mike Babcock

http://thehockeywriterscom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/700110220977_Red_Wings_v_Wild.jpg

Greyfox
05-20-2015, 02:18 PM
The Leafs are holding a press conference at 2:30pm or 3:00pm. You guys can guess the rest.... :jump:

Babcock signed an 8 year $50 Million deal to join the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Ladies and gentleman, the new coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs....

Mike Babcock

http://thehockeywriterscom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/700110220977_Red_Wings_v_Wild.jpg

Wow! Babcock should be a very good fit for developing the "Make Beliefs." :jump::jump:

HoofedInTheChest
05-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Wow! Babcock should be a very good fit for developing the "Make Beliefs." :jump::jump:
Say what you want today, but nothing is going remove the sh*t eating grin on my face right now.

Let the rebuild begin.

Greyfox
05-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Say what you want today, but nothing is going remove the sh*t eating grin on my face right now.

Let the rebuild begin.

I'm happy for Ontario and you HoofedinTheChest. :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
05-20-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm happy for Ontario and you HoofedinTheChest. :ThmbUp:
Thanks man.

I can't believe this unfolded the way it has, i wrote off Babs weeks ago. Unbelievable!

Last season MutualClerk made a prediction that Babs will be hired in Toronto next season, and i thought to myself, is this guy on drugs? Good call my friend, very good call!!

The Draft Lottery was crushing, but this has made up for that massive letdown, whew, time to do a little jig!

Shanny is crushing it!

MutuelClerk
05-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Lucky call. I don't think we need him. Yet. Right now the Wings finally are getting even for Cujo.

MutuelClerk
05-20-2015, 04:22 PM
As far as being on drugs goes. No comment. hehehe. Babcock is going to get crushed by the media in Toronto. The media in Detroit is a bunch of spoon fed pansies. Different story in Leafland. Good luck Mike, you'll need it.

MutuelClerk
05-20-2015, 04:25 PM
I think Babcock sees himself as a martyr for all coaches and how they are paid. Well that certainly changed today. Their is a new pay structure for coaching in the NHL.

HoofedInTheChest
05-20-2015, 06:37 PM
I agree with not needing an elite coach at this point in time, and i wanted to see a stiff coaching the Leafs for the next 3 years so we could accumulate high draft picks. But here is my thought process after today’s hiring....

When Shanny and Babs met up to discuss the plan in Toronto, i guarantee that the main issue was Kessel and Phaneuf. I believe Shanny’s plan is to ship out the core players and start from scratch, he’s fired everyone else in the organization, why stop there? We have a few assets to start with (Nylander, Reilly, Brown, The Goat, JVR) and the plan is to build off of those prospects. I believe that Babs didn’t want any part of the core players that were already here, and the fact that Shanny set him straight about his intentions was the selling point. See ya Fatboy, and enjoy the Oilers Dion...

This morning the Leafs fired the entire coaching staff for the Toronto Marlies, and Shanny has said all along that the two teams play two completely different systems, which is a complete joke when you think about it. When a player gets brought up from the Marlies he has to re-learn a new system on top of dealing with the game being played at a higher level. He wants the two teams to play the exact same system so the transition is a little smoother for the prospects. Bringing in Babcock has cemented that thinking, both teams will play a “carpet defence” under Babcock, and i think that he will have some influence on the hiring of the coaching staff for the Marlies.

Babcock wanted more say in player personnel, he doesn’t want to be the GM but he wants to have some say in the matter, something that he didn’t get in Detroit. The fact that the Leafs are going to be run by committee was a selling feature for Babs, he can have input on players and acquire assets that suits his style of play.

I like the fact that Babs will be the one overlooking the development of our prospects, do we really want a stiff looking after our prospects if we get a mediocre coach? You need someone there from the beginning to oversee their development, this is key in my opinion when your building through the draft. It is going to take 5 to 8 years of drafting and developing before the team is cup competitive, and i want to see the same vision throughout the entire process.

Babcock has won everything there is to win in hockey, and the man loves a challenge, the ultimate challenge in the NHL is righting the ship in Toronto.

MutuelClerk is absolutely right, Babs wanted to set a precedence on how NHL coach’s are getting paid, and i bet coach Q is licking his lips today, if you have a winning pedigree as a coach, then you are inline for a raise in the near future thanks to Babcock.

I feel sorry for the media today, Babcock is going to set them straight from day one, did you see how he handled the media at the Olympics? Priceless...

If Babcock takes this team to the promise land, he will have god like status in this city and around the NHL.

There are a lot of pissed off people around the NHL today after the hiring, that in itself puts a smile on my face.

The key word today is Development, and i’m f’n jacked!

Greyfox
05-20-2015, 07:58 PM
There are a lot of pissed off people around the NHL today after the hiring, that in itself puts a smile on my face.

Yes. Buffalo believed they had Babcock in the bag and the signing would just be a formality.
Second huge set back for a GM who designed his team to tank for McDavid.

HoofedInTheChest
05-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Yes. Buffalo believed they had Babcock in the bag and the signing would just be a formality.
Second huge set back for a GM who designed his team to tank for McDavid.
I love the O-Dogs remark today, "Buffalo put a blow-up doll in net and they still couldn't land Connor McDavid, worry about what you can control".

I'm sure Babcock's wife opted for Toronto over Buffalo, that and Babcock was born in Ontario and Tim Murray is a bonehead.

Greyfox
05-20-2015, 09:46 PM
I'm sure Babcock's wife opted for Toronto over Buffalo, that and Babcock was born in Ontario and Tim Murray is a bonehead.

Undoubtedly his wife made the final decision. "A happy wife equals a happy life."

But even Toronto was surprised by Babcock's decision.
The same group that owns the Argonauts owns the Maple Leafs.
The Argos had a big press conference planned for today and Babcock stole their thunder.
If management had known in advance they wouldn't have scheduled the Argo Press Conference this week.
The same guys who were on stage at the Argo conference will be on stage with Babcock tomorrow.

p.s. Who's wife wouldn't take Toronto over Buffalo given the choice?

HoofedInTheChest
05-20-2015, 10:42 PM
Undoubtedly his wife made the final decision. "A happy wife equals a happy life."

But even Toronto was surprised by Babcock's decision.
The same group that owns the Argonauts owns the Maple Leafs.
The Argos had a big press conference planned for today and Babcock stole their thunder.
If management had known in advance they wouldn't have scheduled the Argo Press Conference this week.
The same guys who were on stage at the Argo conference will be on stage with Babcock tomorrow.

p.s. Who's wife wouldn't take Toronto over Buffalo given the choice?
2/3 of MLSE bought the Argos, Bell and Tanenbaum, i was watching the presser, the media instantly hammered them on the signing and it was extinguished immediately. Some times an opportunity just presents itself, much like today, ownership wanted Babcock and money wasn't an issue. Shanny played for Mike Babcock, and i imagine their past had some influence.

Of course it was a surprise, all the Leafs have to offer is cash, Babcock is inheriting a team and organization that has been burnt to the ground, i believe Shanny's exact words were "scorched earth". There is nothing on the farm that would sway a coach to come over, i think Babcock likes the idea of starting from scratch, literally.

MutuelClerk
05-20-2015, 11:32 PM
I still think Babcock's wife wanted to stay in Northville MI. About 10 minutes from Northville Downs. Presented with either Toronto or Buffalo I agree I'm sure she chose Toronto. Let's just hope the Leafs draft and trade well. That will speed up the re-build process. Draft Day this year for the Leafs could be a lot like that terrible Costner movie. a lot of action.

HoofedInTheChest
05-21-2015, 12:59 AM
You didn't like Draft Day? I thought it was a good flick.

MutuelClerk
05-21-2015, 07:03 AM
It wasn't realistic. I know you're supposed escape at the movies but that was ridiculous. My favorite Costner movie is Mr. Brooks. Here's my off season prediction. The Leafs make a huge 8-10 man swap with one of two teams. Either the Avs or the Wings.

HoofedInTheChest
05-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Babcock watch.....

-The Leafs and Sabres have been in a bidding war over Babcock this morning.

-Detroit made a final offer of $20 mill for 5 years, Babs is not returning to Detroit.

-Sabres have just pulled out of the Babcock chase. Looks like they couldn't match Leaf money.

-Just herd St.Louis is out of the mix.
Now that the dust has settled, the truth has come out.

There was no bidding war on Wednesday morning between Buffalo and Toronto, the Leafs made a 10 year offer to Babcock 2 weeks ago, and Babcock wanted an 8 year deal. In the end the Sabres offered Babcock more money than Toronto, only Babs can answer why he chose Toronto. His mind was made up the night before that he was going to go with Buffalo, but he woke up in the middle of the night and looked at himself in the mirror, and changed his mind. The Buffalo media was in Toronto yesterday at the presser, and they tried to roast him calling him a liar and was only using Buffalo as leverage, Babs dummied them up pretty quickly.

At the press conference yesterday, Babcock talked a lot but didn’t say anything, the media better get used to this, both Shanny and Babs are playing the stealth game, i love it. If you read between the lines yesterday, the core players on this team are history. Make no mistake, Babcock is running this team now, he was introduced as “the new coach and builder” of the TML.

Babcock’s wife had a lot of say in the matter, she wanted to live in a nice city and they plan on moving into a downtown condo now that they are empty nesters. There are some beauties on the Harbourfront that are close to the rink, money shouldn’t be an issue...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.2384127.1432225426!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg

Greyfox
05-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Mike Babcock has a lot of rebuilding to do.
He's got a lot of coaching positions to fill.
I'd suggest that he snaps up Todd Nelson who was the Oilers interim coach after Eakins was shown the door.
The Oiilers loved Nelson, but with Chiarelli coming in his goose was cooked.
Nelson turned the Oilers around from Eakins pathetic record.
If McLellan hadn't accepted the Oilers job, Nelson would have had an excellent chance at it.
For starters I also think that Babcock has to get the Marlies playing the same system as the big team. I understand they need coaches too.
Then I suppose hand in hand with Shanahan they have a whole lot of scouts to replace.
Have patience HoofedInTheChest.
Your team may be at least four years away from making the playoffs.

HoofedInTheChest
05-22-2015, 12:17 PM
I agree, the Marlies should be priority one. Getting that team straightened out is actually more important than getting the big club together, all the prospects come through the Marlies.

The scouting department isn’t that bad at the moment, Hunter has 8 scouts working under him at the present time. Speaking of Hunter, he’s my bet to be the next GM, but then they would need another Director of Scouting that could do the job at his level.... should be interesting.

I’m onboard with all of this, they can take all the time they need from my perspective, i wanted to see all of this 20 years ago.

Tor Ekman
05-22-2015, 12:40 PM
I'll be thrilled if Slats can convince Babcock that all Nash needs is a change of venue . . . a bucket of practice pucks will be sufficient consideration in return

HoofedInTheChest
05-22-2015, 12:53 PM
I'll be thrilled if Slats can convince Babcock that all Nash needs is a change of venue . . . a bucket of practice pucks will be sufficient consideration in return
Not going to happen, any player over the age of 27 will not be acquired unless they are looking for a stop gap or a mentor.

I like Nash but it would be pointless to bring him in at this point in time.

42 goals wasn't enough for ya this season?

I would be more concerned with King Henrik at this juncture.

Greyfox
05-22-2015, 01:07 PM
I would be more concerned with King Henrik at this juncture.

He was brilliant in the earlier games, and now 12 goals against in two nights? Ugh.
If he starts poor again, they've got to give the King the hook.

HoofedInTheChest
05-22-2015, 01:15 PM
He was brilliant in the earlier games, and now 12 goals against in two nights? Ugh.
If he starts poor again, they've got to give the King the hook.
Henrik is dealing with the same problems Price had with Tampa, they move the puck incredibly well and are controlling the play. I still think New York is deeper but i am getting nervous in this series.

Tor Ekman
05-22-2015, 02:00 PM
42 goals wasn't enough for ya this season?

In a word, NO! I'd rather half that in the regular season and then put some in come playoff time. Tired of hearing about his effort and that he's doing everything else, we didn't bring him in at great cost to be a nominee for the Selke Award. It's beyond coincidence now that he's a no show offensively come playoff time . . . time and space get diminished in the playoffs, so too does Mr. Nash. The only way he can be on the team next year is if they somehow manage to win the cup (which I think unlikely) or he all of a sudden starts scoring again, because if neither happens, the Garden faithful are going to pound his delicate psyche into submission and then he'll become useless in the regular season too. I'd trade him back to Columbus even up for Dubinsky but that ain't happening.

HoofedInTheChest
05-22-2015, 03:24 PM
In a word, NO! I'd rather half that in the regular season and then put some in come playoff time. Tired of hearing about his effort and that he's doing everything else, we didn't bring him in at great cost to be a nominee for the Selke Award. It's beyond coincidence now that he's a no show offensively come playoff time . . . time and space get diminished in the playoffs, so too does Mr. Nash. The only way he can be on the team next year is if they somehow manage to win the cup (which I think unlikely) or he all of a sudden starts scoring again, because if neither happens, the Garden faithful are going to pound his delicate psyche into submission and then he'll become useless in the regular season too. I'd trade him back to Columbus even up for Dubinsky but that ain't happening.
Man, you make it sound like you were just eliminated last night, what was your opinion of Nash before the playoffs started? Elite players have the top checking lines covering them throughout the playoffs, and it’s not as easy as the regular season.

New York is paying King Henrik $11 Mill a season, and he is playing like a blow-up doll, but by all means put the blame on Nash.

How about Martin St.Louis? $5 Mill and he hasn’t produced jack in the playoffs, 6 assists and is a -1.

Nash makes $7.9 Mill and has produced 2 goals and 5 assists and is a +3 in the playoffs through 15 games. Sure his point production is down from the regular season but he is not the only problem at this point in time. If you remove those 42 regular season goals, where do the Rangers finish in the standings? Just ask Boston what happened when they lost Iggy’s goal production this season. Have injuries crossed your mind? When a goal scorer's production drops, generally there are injuries involved. Halfway through this season Nash was asked about his turn around, and he said this season is the first time in 6 years he has been 100% healthy. You have to realize that these guys are playing with 10 or 20 problems with their bodies.

Would you like to compare the $10 million dollar hockey player we have in Toronto with Rick Nash?

You don’t consistently make Team Canada by being a sh*tty hockey player, 2 Olympic Gold medals (named the best forward), 1 WC Gold medal and 2 Silvers. 1 Silver with the World Jr team.

Statistically, goal scorers peak at the age of 27, and their production slowly dwindles thereafter. Seeing that Nash is 30 years old, you should be thanking his Canadian ass for getting your team where they are today. I’ve said it before, anyone that thinks an Eastern Conference team is winning the cup this year is delusional, and that includes the Vegas oddsmakers. Much like last year, the final is being played right now in the Western Conference.

Let the series playout, and if they sewer the series than you can roast the players all you want, but i still have faith ($) in the lineup.

You must be related to Trotter.

Tor Ekman
05-22-2015, 03:37 PM
I don't have time to list all my Blueshirt gripes, but suffice to say I was against the trades for both Nash and MSL, and don't get me started on Slats trading the Duke for Yandle, or letting Stralman sign elsewhere and then signing Dan Boyle.

As for Hank, he has to do better, no doubt, but he's still the primary reason we've gotten this far, any talk of pulling him for Talbot who hasn't played since forever is ludicrous. And in fairness to Hank, he's been under siege from Tampa's gunners with little defensive help from his mates. If the teams had swapped tenders, Tampa would have put a dozen past Bishop last game, as Hank did make some big saves to hold them to 5 in regulation (I know, that sounds nuts but it's true), but bottom line he screwed the pooch with the OT goal after making big stop on breakaway. If Rangers don't slow Tampa down through the neutral zone and force them to dump and chase rather than skate in with ease, we're screwed. Hate to say it, but it's time for some Lou Lamoriello/Devils-style neutral zone trap, with as much obstruction as the refs will allow

HoofedInTheChest
05-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Game 4

Rick Nash – 2 Goals, 1 Assist

Are you a graduate of SRU’s school of Mush?