PDA

View Full Version : Jockey Club Gold Cup

andtheyreoff
09-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Full field and a great bunch assembled here. Any opinions?

horses4courses
09-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Take your pick between Wicked Strong and V E Day

sammy the sage
09-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Moreno will STEAL this... ;)

Tom
09-24-2014, 08:56 PM
New surface at SA.....they change surfaces more often than I change my socks!
I expect a strong early bias from it. Start taking notes Saturday.

sammy the sage
09-24-2014, 10:37 PM

well this thread is about a race in NY....but yeah...otherwise do agree w/that comment thar Tom ;)

Thebigguy
09-24-2014, 11:06 PM

With that Cali horse right on top of him the entire race?
I like Wicked Strong.

Ocala Mike
09-24-2014, 11:08 PM

We should excuse Tom; he's about to face around 8 months of shitty weather as soon as autumn (which lasts one week up there) is over.

thespaah
09-24-2014, 11:48 PM
I expect a contested early lead.
Find your stalkers. There you will find your winner.

Tom
09-25-2014, 07:32 AM
I was thinking Classic - got ahead of myself.:blush:

Redboard
09-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Funny with both speed horses on the outside posts, would indicate that no one will have an easy trip. Big Cazanova has set some wicked fractions. Moreno will have his hands full.

Sparky13
09-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Going with :4: Zivo, :11: Moreno :10: V. E. Day

Appy
09-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Just from looking at the entry draw I'm inclined to agree with redboard, although I do admire both Moreno and VE Day. I also think Wicked could face the same challenge from the inside, leaving Tonalist (if he's on his "A" game) as a potential benefactor.

Rex Phinney
09-25-2014, 05:34 PM
I just can't see any way Moreno wins at 10F against this good a field.

I've been very low on Tonalist lately, but he is back at Belmont so we must consider if that's what he needs.

thespaah
09-25-2014, 09:28 PM
I noticed Clement has taken the blinkers off Tonalist..

Cratos
09-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Full field and a great bunch assembled here. Any opinions?
Tonalist loves this track and he gets my vote

Thebigguy
09-26-2014, 01:56 AM
Tonalist loves this track and he gets my vote

Everyone keeps saying he loves the track. I have seen it here, on twitter, DT, and HH. That is just a silly statement IMO. One of his races at Belmont was over a sloppy track. I think its more fair to say Tonalist loves a sloppy track. His other win was going the odd distance of 12f. He was all out that day to beat a 30-1 shot. That Belmont has been a pretty shitty race. 2nd place finisher has not run back. 3rd place finisher is 0/2 since. Its just a list of horse who have either not run back at all or have not won. Except for one. Wicked Strong..... As for Wicked Strong.... He is just better. He beat Tonalist head to head twice this summer. Why is that going to change Saturday? The only reason I see people giving is because Tonalist loves the track, I think that is just so silly. If I had to make a case for Tonalist it would be that his trainer is on fire right now.

Redboard
09-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Wicked Strong reminds me of Hard Spun, he’ll give you everything he’s got, every race, but he doesn’t have that “quick turn of foot,” as they say – he’s more of a plodder.
Tonalist’s excuse in the Travers is that he burnt himself out going after Bayern and yet he did hold on for third, an incredible feat(Bayern finished last). As far as the Jim Dandy, Jerkins admitted he was slow coming back off of a break and for him, he had bigger fish to fry – no way he was going to ruin the horse trying to win a prep race. That, along with the fact that the JCGC is an extra furlong, which suits him better distance wise.
I agree with you though, saying he loves the track is silly. He's just a better horse.

Cratos
09-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Everyone keeps saying he loves the track. I have seen it here, on twitter, DT, and HH. That is just a silly statement IMO. One of his races at Belmont was over a sloppy track. I think its more fair to say Tonalist loves a sloppy track. His other win was going the odd distance of 12f. He was all out that day to beat a 30-1 shot. That Belmont has been a pretty shitty race. 2nd place finisher has not run back. 3rd place finisher is 0/2 since. Its just a list of horse who have either not run back at all or have not won. Except for one. Wicked Strong..... As for Wicked Strong.... He is just better. He beat Tonalist head to head twice this summer. Why is that going to change Saturday? The only reason I see people giving is because Tonalist loves the track, I think that is just so silly. If I had to make a case for Tonalist it would be that his trainer is on fire right now.
To each his own; that is why it is called "pari-mutuel wagering."

QTwithTQ
09-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Interesting stuff from Nick Tammaro on Thoroughbred Racing Commentary with regards to the pace scenario in the Jockey Club Gold Cup and how it should affect the horses in the race -

Pace is key in Jockey Club Gold Cup showdown pitting 3YOs against elders (https://www.thoroughbredracing.com//articles/pace-key-jockey-club-gold-cup-showdown-pitting-3yos-against-elders)

As for my thoughts on the race - I tried to land on a horse that will be within four lengths of the lead throughout, but I can see almost every one of them hanging down the stretch. Therefore, I'll be keying Zivo. Could do worse than a horse that likes to win. Good luck.

Robert Fischer
09-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Interesting stuff from Nick Tammaro on Thoroughbred Racing Commentary with regards to the pace scenario in the Jockey Club Gold Cup and how it should affect the horses in the race -

Pace is key in Jockey Club Gold Cup showdown pitting 3YOs against elders (https://www.thoroughbredracing.com//articles/pace-key-jockey-club-gold-cup-showdown-pitting-3yos-against-elders)

As for my thoughts on the race - I tried to land on a horse that will be within four lengths of the lead throughout, but I can see almost every one of them hanging down the stretch. Therefore, I'll be keying Zivo. Could do worse than a horse that likes to win. Good luck.

Nice Article.

letswastemoney
09-26-2014, 06:00 PM
If I have to think hard about a race, I probably don't have a good feeling for it, and the JCGC is a race that seems to require a lot of thinking.

If I had to bet, then Wicked Strong is my top choice, followed by Tonalist or Zivo. But, I'll pass.

Robert Fischer
09-26-2014, 07:31 PM
If I have to think hard about a race, I probably don't have a good feeling for it, and the JCGC is a race that seems to require a lot of thinking.

If I had to bet, then Wicked Strong is my top choice, followed by Tonalist or Zivo. But, I'll pass.
It looks to be an interesting race as far as handicapping.

raybo
09-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Suspected hot pace takes out both :11: Moreno and :12: Big Cazanova. :7: Speak Logistics has the top early velocities (in route dirt races only, albeit it at generally shorter routes), so wouldn't be a bit surprised if he adds even more pace pressure to the other two.

The "come from behind" velocities, in ranked order:

:4: Zivo (at 5/1-6/1 he would be my bet)
:3: Wicked Strong
:10: V. E. Day

NTamm1215
09-26-2014, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the shoutout and glad you enjoyed the article. This is a very fun renewal of a race that is generally lacking in terms of wagering appeal. Best of luck!

Grits
09-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the shoutout and glad you enjoyed the article. This is a very fun renewal of a race that is generally lacking in terms of wagering appeal. Best of luck!

Fine work, Nick. Thank you. A great race card with this one, the centerpiece.

ArlJim78
09-26-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm feeling a big one coming for Zivo. He'll be my choice.

raybo
09-26-2014, 09:38 PM
PROJECTED EARLY RUNNING POSITIONS
Ranked Horses 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
--------start -----11 12 6 8 5
---------1st -----11 12 8 6 5
---------2nd -----12 11 8 6 5

raybo
09-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Another look at it. How fast can they run, if they want to?

RANKED FRACTIONAL SEGMENT VELOCITIES
----- 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th (ranking)
FR1 -7 ---3----9---8---11 (start to 1st call)
FR2 -3 ---4----8---1---7 (1st call to 2nd call)
FR3 -3 ---4---10---1---2 (2nd call to finish)

raybo
09-26-2014, 10:48 PM
And the 3rd portion of the pace analysis (minus form determinations):

Running styles, early to late:

11 E8
-12 E/P4
------7 P0
-------8 P0
-------5 P0
--------6 P0
------------------2 P0
-----------------------4 S0
------------------------3 S0
-------------------------10 S0
----------------------------------------9 S0
----------------------------------------1 S0

raybo
09-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Superfecta ticket:

Win -- 3 4
Place - 3 4 7 8
Show - 3 4 7 8 5
4th ---- 3 4 7 8 5 10 1

Exotic1
09-26-2014, 11:20 PM
And the 3rd portion of the pace analysis (minus form determinations):

Running styles, early to late:

11 E8
-12 E/P4
------7 P0
-------8 P0
-------5 P0
--------6 P0
------------------2 P0
-----------------------4 S0
------------------------3 S0
-------------------------10 S0
----------------------------------------9 S0
----------------------------------------1 S0

I think i like this visual. Nice concept.

Exotic1
09-26-2014, 11:21 PM
Fine work, Nick. Thank you. A great race card with this one, the centerpiece.

Yes, good work, Nick.

cj's dad
09-26-2014, 11:25 PM
I remember a October Saturday about 5-6 years ago when a bunch of us met at belmont Park for the JCGC and we had a blast. If my memory serves me well, there were gatetowire, Nijinski, OTMal, Proximity, JustRalph, PA, Grits, trackcollector, Miesque and a few others who I cannot recall.

Maybe next year, These gatherings are always a blast.

JustRalph
09-26-2014, 11:27 PM
what a race......shit.....90% of these horses could win.

How about the oldest horse in the race

He's wound up tighter than a golf ball...............

Prayer for Relief? :5:

Anybody? I think he might be too old to win but Johnny V is the best out there now. And if it falls apart? I like his chances with a smart rider

ReplayRandall
09-27-2014, 12:15 AM
what a race......shit.....90% of these horses could win.

How about the oldest horse in the race

He's wound up tighter than a golf ball...............

Prayer for Relief? :5:

Anybody? I think he might be too old to win but Johnny V is the best out there now. And if it falls apart? I like his chances with a smart rider

It seems every time PFR pairs his top, he regresses. However, after his last race (paired top), I see two rather intense works which may indicate he could move forward again..........you might have something here at big $$$ Ralph.

raybo
09-27-2014, 01:11 AM
It seems every time PFR pairs his top, he regresses. However, after his last race (paired top), I see two rather intense works which may indicate he could move forward again..........you might have something here at big $$$ Ralph.

What is a "paired top"? Top speed rating last 2? Last equals his top? If so, I don't have it that way, his last isn't even his top, and his 2nd back is even lower. :confused:

He definitely has room to move up off his last, and his last work was pretty dang good, it appears.

Thebigguy
09-27-2014, 02:05 AM
Superfecta ticket:

Win -- 3 4
Place - 3 4 7 8
Show - 3 4 7 8 5
4th ---- 3 4 7 8 5 10 1

Cant really take this seriously with the 7 in the 2 spot.

raybo
09-27-2014, 02:34 AM
Cant really take this seriously with the 7 in the 2 spot.

Not asking you to. That's your decision, but stranger things have happened haven't they? if there is a pace meltdown, anything can happen and any horse other than the ones that meltdown can finish well.

Just some data I have, don't use it, won't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, that would be just fine by me.

Thebigguy
09-27-2014, 03:29 AM
Not asking you to. That's your decision, but stranger things have happened haven't they? if there is a pace meltdown, anything can happen and any horse other than the ones that meltdown can finish well.

Just some data I have, don't use it, won't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, that would be just fine by me.

What data do you have that tells you that horse has a shot to run 2nd? He is literally impossible on paper. In what world does that horse even belong in this race?? If the 11 and 12 kill each other and it does melt down there are seven other horses who are more likely then him to run 2nd.

Rex Phinney
09-27-2014, 03:49 AM
What data do you have that tells you that horse has a shot to run 2nd? He is literally impossible on paper. In what world does that horse even belong in this race?? If the 11 and 12 kill each other and it does melt down there are seven other horses who are more likely then him to run 2nd.

"Makes no sense in paper" famous last words LOL

thaskalos
09-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Suspected hot pace takes out both :11: Moreno and :12: Big Cazanova. :7: Speak Logistics has the top early velocities (in route dirt races only, albeit it at generally shorter routes), so wouldn't be a bit surprised if he adds even more pace pressure to the other two.

The "come from behind" velocities, in ranked order:

:4: Zivo (at 5/1-6/1 he would be my bet)
:3: Wicked Strong
:10: V. E. Day

Raybo...how did you deduce that Speak Logistics has the top early velocities in this race? Was this info extracted from the past performances...or was it garnered through some function of your automated handicapping method?

I am not being facetious here; I respect you as a pace handicapper...and I am honestly wondering if I am missing something in this horse's record.

Exotic1
09-27-2014, 07:58 AM
Raybo...how did you deduce that Speak Logistics has the top early velocities in this race? Was this info extracted from the past performances...or was it garnered through some function of your automated handicapping method?

I am not being facetious here; I respect you as a pace handicapper...and I am honestly wondering if I am missing something in this horse's record.

I won't speak for raybo. He may be referencing the 11/3/12 SA (BC Juv), 4/6/13 CRC, 9/2/13 PRX, 9/21/13 PRX and 11/10/13 GP races.

cj's dad
09-27-2014, 08:45 AM
:5: Prayer For relief

Nice balance between his early pace and late pace #s

Grits
09-27-2014, 09:36 AM
I remember a October Saturday about 5-6 years ago when a bunch of us met at belmont Park for the JCGC and we had a blast. If my memory serves me well, there were gatetowire, Nijinski, OTMal, Proximity, JustRalph, PA, Grits, trackcollector, Miesque and a few others who I cannot recall.

Maybe next year, These gatherings are always a blast.

Cjd, I just woke up.. and realized. I'm not in NY. I'm not at Belmont for JCGC. I should have driven up. Now I'm disgusted and depressed, all at the same time. One of the best days of the year and I'm looking at TVG. What a bitch! :lol:

That was a fun, a great day of racing. It was a laid back day. We all sat together handicapping, watching races, and having a few drinks. You hit a couple of triples.

In the big race today, with the condensed figures, I'm using Zivo, Wicked Strong and Last Gunfighter. LG has the highest back figure in the field, which always appeals to me. I'll use these three.

cj's dad
09-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Yeah Grits but at least you didn't have to drive through that Baltimore-Washington corridor that you soooo much enjoy.

raybo
09-27-2014, 11:44 AM

Notice I stated "top" velocities, I should have said "best top" velocities. I did qualify that by saying that "generally" he has run more shorter races than some of the others. But, if he wants to run hard early, he certainly can run as fast as anyone in that portion of the race. Moreno actually has only the 5th fastest early velocities, and Big Cazanova has the 6th fastest. Running styles must, of course, be taken into consideration regarding how much early speed is likely to be used, as well.

These velocities (average speed) are calculated from adjusted times vs distance in feet (feet per second) and are done by my program, using either routes or sprints and dirt or turf, depending on today's distance and surface. All of the last 10 past performance races are looked at and then separated by distance and surface.

thespaah
09-27-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm on Tonalist today.
He stalks a pace that stands a good chance of being relatively hot.
Plus, I like the equipment change. Blinkers Off.
In my mind, there has to be a good reason behind the change.

raybo
09-27-2014, 11:58 AM

Think what you want, it is paramutuel after all. The data is in my program and I will not reveal it here.

We all have our own stuff, at least we should have our own, not just the "impossible on paper" stuff, so while some see some things, others see other things also, that's just the way it is.

Robert Fischer
09-27-2014, 12:00 PM
In the Travers, Trainer Jimmy Jerkens came up with a 'pair of aces' when his top 3yo colt WICKED STRONG bravely wore down rivals, to enter the stretch in command, only to then have his own unheralded long-shot stablemate V.E. DAY 'parlay' a pace meltdown with a perfect ride from top jockey Javier Castellano, into a thrilling, "too close to call!" photo-finish. V.E. DAY paid $41.00 to win.

“I realized inside the eighth pole it was going to be between our two horses,” Jerkens said. “I thought WICKED STRONG was going to hold on, but V.E. DAY surged in the last three jumps and nailed him right on the wire.”

Now the deck has been shuffled for the $1,000,000 Jockey Club Gold Cup, and while #3 WICKED STRONG remains a strong contender, players and fans may be surprised to see a new trainer dealt "Pocket Rockets" today.

Chad Brown has the 2 value-packed "Aces" here in the JCGC. #4 ZIVO figures to benefit from the pace, and has to be feeling a serious case of déjà vu (see his ground-saving, late-running upset win in the Suburban). Trainer Chad Brown's other "ace" is the unlikely looking 20-1 long-shot #2 LAST GUNFIGHTER. After facing adversity in recent efforts, you get the big odds underneath today, on a horse most players will overlook.

Other value commentary: Consider Tossing #11 MORENO from the win and exacta spots. He could be in for a rude awakening today with the outside draw and that West-Coast monster on his flank.
Tread lightly with #10 V.E. DAY- If he didn't look so visually impressive, he'd be a complete toss in my handicapping - A perfect trip doesn't prove a Grade1 level or warrant 5-1 odds today!(not even in the Travers). But, wow was he visually impressive...
Tread lightly with #8 TONALIST - He's too good to leave off all tickets, and he had a rough trip last time, but his form has been in the decline. Physically, he does appear stronger than he was coming in to the Travers.
Don't toss long-shots #1 MICROMANAGE or #12 BIG CAZANOVA from the bottom of Tri's and Superfectas. MICROMANAGE has relentless stamina and a strong finishing jockey in a race that has some chance to favor such a style. BIG CAZANOVA must overcome both a wide draw and a duel with MORENO, but looks to be a possible legitimate Grade1 type horse that may outrun his odds from the forward group.

Good Luck :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Ocala Mike
09-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Always shopping the odds; maybe the :1: can get a great trip with that draw, and Zito's :9: woke up big last time.

GaryG
09-27-2014, 01:01 PM
I definitely like Tonalist. He should be able to rate off the speed this time and he obviously favors Belmont.

whodoyoulike
09-27-2014, 01:54 PM
I usually don't bet 10f because I don't have enough info in my database but, that's never stopped me from having an opinion.

I see :3: Wicked Strong (3-1), :5: Prayer for Relief (15-1) and :8: Tonalist (4-1) having the best chance to win.

I'm going with :5: can't pass up the odds (will probably be higher by post time).

zico20
09-27-2014, 01:56 PM
I am going with :4: over :1: :2: :5: :11: If Moreno does get an easy lead, he will be tough to beat. As you can see, I am throwing out all the 3 yr olds. If Tonalist and Wicked Strong couldn't beat VE Day last time out, I sure as hell don't see them beating the better older horses in here. I did this last year in this race only to have Palace Malice beat me if I recall correctly. Will try same strategy again this year.

thespaah
09-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Ok..After seeing the Kelso I am thinking it would be a good idea to toss all closers in this one. any horse more than 5 lengths off the lead at the quarter pole would appear to be compromised.
They went 45.64 for the half and home in almost 49 seconds. Golden Ticket which may have been too far back to be a real threat nevertheless looked like he was running on a treadmill trying to get to the lead pack. The other one that were in better contact with the field fared equally poorly.
This makes me believe an investment in Tonalist today has good potential for success....
GLTA..

olddaddy
09-27-2014, 05:13 PM
I just dont like the three year old crop, I picked the :6: and then the :1:

thespaah
09-27-2014, 05:45 PM
ALERT..
Prayer For Relief has just been scratched

Tee
09-27-2014, 05:54 PM
:9: Looked good on track, showed signs of life in last two. Let's see what he does today.

Tom
09-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Lost rider - Wicked Strong.
IN a bad spot mid pack.....

thespaah
09-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Horse looked ok...Hope Maragh is as well. Didn't see how he was unseated.
Michelle Yu says "clipped heels".

thespaah
09-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Tonalist just solidified his place for best 3 year old.
Time is unimpressive. 2:02 plus...
Last half in 50.76

RXB
09-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Hope Rajiv is okay; that was a nasty spot to go down with a herd right behind him. Alvarado is getting days for sure; that was a bad maneuver he pulled going into the turn.

Alwaysonpoint36
09-27-2014, 06:02 PM
hope Rajiv is ok...jesus christ

thespaah
09-27-2014, 06:03 PM
11-Moreno was DQ'd from 4th and placed last.

lamboguy
09-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Rajiiv is able to move some parts of his body. so far good news, lets hope and pray for him

Shemp Howard
09-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Lezcano should have closed off that hole.

Robert Fischer
09-27-2014, 06:11 PM
tough race.

Good call to those who had Tonalist.

Tom
09-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Tonalist just solidified his place for best 3 year old.
Time is unimpressive. 2:02 plus...
Last half in 50.76

I'm giving it to Shared Belief.
Tonalist looks like a Belmont horse - another Easy Goer.

burnsy
09-27-2014, 06:23 PM
I am going with :4: over :1: :2: :5: :11: If Moreno does get an easy lead, he will be tough to beat. As you can see, I am throwing out all the 3 yr olds. If Tonalist and Wicked Strong couldn't beat VE Day last time out, I sure as hell don't see them beating the better older horses in here. I did this last year in this race only to have Palace Malice beat me if I recall correctly. Will try same strategy again this year.

Ouch, Burnsy did the same. Tonalist cost me the pick 4.

Redboard
09-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Ouch, Burnsy did the same. Tonalist cost me the pick 4.
I had Tonalist singled in the last leg, and still didn't hit it.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1715852#

OTM Al
09-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Went to Belmont today to see this and the other big races. We were running a bit late but should have been there in time for the 4th. Looks like the parking situation is still pretty bad. I get being that late that the preferred (pay) lots were full. Of course it isn't good when the first lot we go to gets blocked off and the attendant just leaves. The second lot directs us back to the lot across Hempstead, which would have been ok except they never moved out all the dealer cars that are parked there. NYRA would always do that in the past on big days, but since the current leadership fired the manager and most of the parking staff, guess no one thought to bother with that.

Sine I didn't feel like my guest experience including a walk almost from the Cross Island, we left. No worries there though as I had a fun day anyway. Went to Roosevelt Field and did some shopping and then went for dinner at Plattduetch, which you must go to if you are in the area and like German food. Played my bets from the mall and hit that all stakes P4 for $2 so that paid for dinner and the stuff we bought at the mall. Looked like there was a big crowd there and hope everyone had a good time but more and more it is clear that the execs don't really care about the customer experience they talk so much about in any more than a cosmetic way.

lamboguy
09-27-2014, 10:11 PM
TONALIST is going to be the second choice in the classic.

thespaah
09-27-2014, 10:36 PM
TONALIST is going to be the second choice in the classic.
He throws down the gauntlet...I like that!

ArlJim78
09-27-2014, 10:44 PM
I thought Tonalist looked better, more relaxed without blinkers. I had Zivo and Long River and he ran right by them when he got the opening.

Robert Fischer
09-27-2014, 10:48 PM
I thought Tonalist looked better, more relaxed without blinkers. I had Zivo and Long River and he ran right by them when he got the opening.

He did look better. I thought maybe more aggressive when in tight as well, given that he could see better in close quarters(maybe I'm stretching my interpretation?).
Zivo is kind of a measuring stick as far as we knew he'd get a trip and we know his quality at this point, and Tonalist was clearly superior.

thespaah
09-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Yep..When I saw that equipment change combined with Tonalist's running style, I was on him.
Given he wound up the favorite by a dime over Wicked Strong, it's not that great of a pick.
But, A winner is a winner. I thought 3-1 was good value.

PhantomOnTour
09-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Tonalist was 2-2 at Belmont
Zivo was 4-6 at Belmont

They ran 1-2

thespaah
09-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Zivo was 4-6 at Belmont

They ran 1-2
Yep.....The thing is when reading the comments of others it seemed most considered the race wide open.
Several good contenders. And based on the responses and picks issued in the thread, there were lots of opinions in different directions.
3-1 is a very good price on a betting favorite.
Oh well. Next case. We're only as good as our last bet.

Thomas Roulston
09-28-2014, 04:21 AM
Why was Moreno only disqualified from 4th and placed 9th when one of the victims of his foul (Wicked Strong) officially DNF'd (due to unseating the rider)?

This is totally unfair - and had this incident occurred at Santa Anita, Moreno would have been what is known as "left unplaced" - and therefore would not have received any share of the purse ($5,000 in this case), as Wicked Strong didn't either.

Tom
09-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Zivo was 4-6 at Belmont

They ran 1-2
Now, looking ahead to Santa Anita, what are their records away from Belmont?
That is the record that matters now.

Tom
09-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Why was Moreno only disqualified from 4th and placed 9th when one of the victims of his foul (Wicked Strong) officially DNF'd (due to unseating the rider)?

This is totally unfair - and had this incident occurred at Santa Anita, Moreno would have been what is known as "left unplaced" - and therefore would not have received any share of the purse ($5,000 in this case), as Wicked Strong didn't either.

Good point - he was placed ahead of the horse he fouled.

Rex Phinney
09-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Now, looking ahead to Santa Anita, what are their records away from Belmont?
That is the record that matters now.

Agreed. I'll add that WS has failed to win in 4 tries beyond 9F

Grits
09-28-2014, 12:56 PM
This was hard to watch yesterday. For a trainer to work so hard towards a $1,000,000 race only for his horse and rider to be taken out by another rider's foolishness. It could've been so much worse for all. Hope Rajiv heals quickly.

whodoyoulike
09-28-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm posting this for my own closure or because of my OCD which I always felt s/h/b labeled CDO.

1) :8: tonalist (3.05) .................... 8.10 .......4.30 ..... 3.40
2) :4: zivo (4.00) ........................................ 5.10 ..... 3.80
3) :6: long river (52.00) .......................................... 17.40
4) :11: moreno (DQ) (5.20)

Time: 2:02.12

Scratched: prayer for relief

$2.00 exacta ($39.00)
$2.00 trifecta ($1,495.00)

from the charts:

TONALIST was unhurried while off the inside during the initial stages, was one of many having its rider take hold and tipping outward to avoid the fallen rider in the vicinity of the half mile pole, worked out a tuck along the rail and took a respite there before angling back into the two path at the five-sixteenths pole, was forced to remain oh hold, idling behind a pair for the majority of the way through the furlong grounds, altered course towards a usable opening and after being given his cue, split rivals past the furlong marker while advancing towards the lead with good speed and momentum, wrested away the advantage in the final seventy yards and kicked away. ZIVO settled along the inside route shortly after the start, vacated it only long left to get steadied and safely moved past a prostrate jockey as three-quarters was being completed, left the rail permanently at the five-sixteenths pole by getting angled outward, ended up in the four path by the conclusion of the move, finished willingly to garner the place. LONG RIVER was quickly placed along the inside, sat forwardly placed, was forced to steady after being bumped by a stumbling opponent near the nine-sixteenths pole, was angled three wide entering the turn and scurried into contention during the rest of the way to the quarter pole, loomed boldly at that station, got set down and forged his way to a slim advantage, got collared with about seventy yards remaining and weakened into the show slot. MORENO was put to a firm hold by the rider and allowed to stalk BIG CAZANOVA in the initial stages, angled sharply over into the two path approaching the end of the backstretch, cut off WICKED STRONG, got clipped from behind by that opponent, pressed the issue for the next quarter, issued an abbreviated challenge for command turning for home, wasn't up to the task at hand and backed away.

15 of 65 selected the winner 23.1%.

whodoyoulike
09-28-2014, 03:21 PM
backed away.

15 of 65 selected the winner 23.1%.

Should be 15 of 60 selected the winner 25%.