PDA

View Full Version : War President Obama Lights Up Syria

Boris
09-23-2014, 12:23 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/09/22/syria/16005277/

"I can confirm that U.S. military and partner nation forces are undertaking military action against ISIL terrorists in Syria using a mix of fighter, bomber and Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles," said Rear Adm. John Kirby, the Pentagon press secretary. "Given that these operations are ongoing, we are not in a position to provide additional details at this time."

Does he not understand that all he is doing is creating more terrorists?

Greyfox
09-23-2014, 01:00 AM

Are you saying : Let them do their own thing?
Let them rape, behead civilians, take prisoners and shoot them after they've dug their own ditches for gaves.
Ho hum.

But...if you kill any of those beasts, you are creating more?

Gimmee a break Jake.
The more of those transfixed lunatics that can be killed, the less of them that there will be. Fact.
If more are created by those actions, they can also get their wish to die for Allah!

rastajenk
09-23-2014, 07:39 AM
I have a feeling Boris was being a bit facetious.

incoming
09-23-2014, 07:51 AM
I bet George W Bush is having a little snicker about now.

thaskalos
09-23-2014, 09:23 AM
I bet George W Bush is having a little snicker about now.

Yeah...HE should laugh... :rolleyes:

Greyfox
09-23-2014, 09:29 AM
I have a feeling Boris was being a bit facetious.

Probably.
But you'd be surprised how many people actually believe that any intervention in the middle-East by Western Powers creates more terrorists.
Even ISIS would have you believe that.

classhandicapper
09-23-2014, 09:31 AM
I tend to be against almost all intervention overseas because most of it is none of our business and all it does is cause blowback and bigger problems while also adding risk of terrorism at home. In this case, I don't see much downside for humanity from exterminating this vermin. But we do need to close the borders and start deporting people aggressively or we WILL get hit back.

incoming
09-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Yeah...HE should laugh... :rolleyes:

Are you blaming the once again defunct Middle East on GWB?

Robert Goren
09-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Are you blaming the once again defunct Middle East on GWB?There is little doubt if Bush had not invaded Iraq, we wouldn't have this mess. That said, there is no point in crying over spilled milk. The question is how do we deal the mess we have now. It is not easy. This morning they are reporting that we hit an al Qaeda group in Syria that they had intell on that they were planning attacks in Europe. The group was allied with the "good" rebels fighting both Assad and ISIS. I do not want troops on the ground unless we are prepare to adopt a "kill them all and let God sort them out" strategy. To do anything else just makes it easier for them to kill Americans.

Tom
09-23-2014, 11:18 AM
There is little doubt if Bush had not invaded Iraq, we wouldn't have this mess.

Wrong.
Obama declared Iraq ready to stand on its own and pulled out.
Not Bush.

This might not have happened if Obama had not dropped the ball.

thaskalos
09-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Are you blaming the once again defunct Middle East on GWB?

No...I'm just saying that, in my opinion, GWB has nothing to snicker about. His presidency was as big of an embarrassment as anyone else's.

Marshall Bennett
09-23-2014, 12:07 PM
The middle east was a mess before GWB was born. He did attempt to station a military presence there under his watch to prevent exactly what is happening now. He did so, but Obama removed it. Thanks to our neglect of the region during his presidency, we're back with the situation many times worse.
Class Handicapper, it's really naive to believe we can't get involved with threats to our lively-hood abroad and expect it to simply vanish, particularly one of this nature. It's like an aggressive cancer.

incoming
09-23-2014, 12:29 PM
No...I'm just saying that, in my opinion, GWB has nothing to snicker about. His presidency was as big of an embarrassment as anyone else's.

I disliked GWB policies on the financial bailouts but I don't think he had much of choice about Iraq if you take into consideration 911, the oil fields and shipping lanes.

ArlJim78
09-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Syria didn't attack us, why are we bombing them?

I know, our bombs are hitting the extremists and not the moderates.:rolleyes:

Certain groups have been itching to get busy in Syria for some time now and finally got their wish. Last year the premise was to support the "freedom fighters" from Assad the monster who was supposedly gasing civilians for some reason. This year we take action that will require coordination with Assad, albeit probably not publicly, and will leave him in a stronger position. So much for a coherent strategy.

Robert Goren
09-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Wrong.
Obama declared Iraq ready to stand on its own and pulled out.
Not Bush.

This might not have happened if Obama had not dropped the ball.
The U.S.–Iraq Status of Forces Agreement which stated that all American troops would be out by the end of 2011 was signed by Bush in Nov of 2008 . Bush left to Obama to carry the agreement he reached. Like a lot of Obama haters, you seem to have gotten time line wrong.

Robert Goren
09-23-2014, 01:01 PM

I know, our bombs are hitting the extremists and not the moderates.:rolleyes:

Certain groups have been itching to get busy in Syria for some time now and finally got their wish. Last year the premise was to support the "freedom fighters" from Assad the monster who was supposedly gasing civilians for some reason. This year we take action that will require coordination with Assad, albeit probably not publicly, and will leave him in a stronger position. So much for a coherent strategy. You have a better one? In all reality there are only real powers in Syria, ISIS and Assad. There was never anybody else although ISIS used to be part of al Qaeda until there was a falling out among the terrorists. The so called "good" rebel were never and are not now a real force there. To think otherwise is a right wing pipe dream.

woodtoo
09-23-2014, 01:34 PM
powe. The so called "good" rebel were never and are not now a real force there. To think otherwise is a left wing pipe dream.

FTFY

Boris
09-23-2014, 03:37 PM

Ugh! How did I forgot to add that one. I'd guess many of the left's chickens are preparing to come home to roost.

Hank
09-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Probably.
But you'd be surprised how many people actually believe that any intervention in the middle-East by Western Powers creates more terrorists.
Even ISIS would have you believe that.

I love the euphemisms"intervention" "Western powers" lol.Lets see here by my accounting the war on "Terror" got to love it, will be 13 years old on Oct 7 so 13 years of "interventions" has seen Al-Qaeda morph into the much larger much more dangerous Isis and Al- Qaeda in Iraq which did not exist before we "intervened" is also growing in strength,meanwhile the Taliban are waiting patiently for the pullout next year at which time they WILL takeover again.

incoming
09-23-2014, 06:25 PM
The U.S.–Iraq Status of Forces Agreement which stated that all American troops would be out by the end of 2011 was signed by Bush in Nov of 2008 . Bush left to Obama to carry the agreement he reached. Like a lot of Obama haters, you seem to have gotten time line wrong.

One of the favorite criticisms of GWB was the fact he didn't have an exit plan.... wonder why.

incoming
09-23-2014, 06:56 PM
I love the euphemisms"intervention" "Western powers" lol.Lets see here by my accounting the war on "Terror" got to love it, will be 13 years old on Oct 7 so 13 years of "interventions" has seen Al-Qaeda morph into the much larger much more dangerous Isis and Al- Qaeda in Iraq which did not exist before we "intervened" is also growing in strength,meanwhile the Taliban are waiting patiently for the pullout next year at which time they WILL takeover again.

Hank I don't know you at all but I am sure you are no Einstein. ;)

Marshall Bennett
09-23-2014, 07:20 PM
The Taliban, Al-Qaeda, ISIS, ect didn't flourish because of our intervention, it flourished due to civil war within and conflict unrelated to the US. Their M.O. is to pick up the pieces of their war-torn countries and grow. The larger they become and appealing they are to misfits elsewhere, the better funding they receive and recruiting they do. Syria appears to be the present hot-spot, where or when did we intervene there?
Had our past intervention been more thorough and well orchestrated, these terrorist organizations either wouldn't exist or be so small they'd be considered more of a pest. It's naive and hard headed liberals such as yourself that are the direst blame. I don't even blame your "ruling" party in general as much as the liberal public that your party bows to so diligently.
You either just don't get it, or you do and refuse to admit you're dead wrong about it. We're now facing a crisis with these vicious animals and YOU should be ashamed of yourselves for allowing it. Sometimes I truly believe you actually enjoy it. Nearly everything liberals represent seemed aimed in some fashion or another at destroying the country, so why wouldn't this be entertaining to you.
Idiots !!

Mike at A+
09-23-2014, 08:08 PM

That only applies to presidents like Bush who didn't get a Nobel Peace Prize.

davew
09-23-2014, 10:15 PM
That only applies to presidents like Bush who didn't get a Nobel Peace Prize.

and oBomber did it during middle of night to limit casualty/deaths - just went for the antennas and empty office buildings.

Tom
09-23-2014, 10:29 PM

Sorry, but OBAMA claimed a victory on his watch, he declared Iraq ready to stand on its own.

Tom
09-23-2014, 10:31 PM
and oBomber did it during middle of night to limit casualty/deaths - just went for the antennas and empty office buildings.

oBomber..... :lol: :lol:
Good one!

classhandicapper
09-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Class Handicapper, it's really naive to believe we can't get involved with threats to our lively-hood abroad and expect it to simply vanish, particularly one of this nature. It's like an aggressive cancer.

I am in favor of military action against ISIS.

However, I don't think the idea that we create problems for ourselves by getting involved where we don't belong and especially by supporting unpopular and oppressive regimes just because they are willing to do business with us or align with us politically is false. We create problems for ourselves all the time.

I think we should generally always take the moral high road, think long term, only do business with governments that meet a high standard of behavior, and not interfere unless there is a strong consensus in the world that it's necessary. That doesn't make me an isolationist, but I think the neocons are borderline traitors and psychopaths.

Robert Goren
09-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Sorry, but OBAMA claimed a victory on his watch, he declared Iraq ready to stand on its own.Obama echoed Bush in that and both were wrong.

Tom
09-24-2014, 12:43 PM
So, tell me again why Romney was wrong for the job?
His foreign policy ideas have proven to be far better than Obama's.
Most of his warnings came true and his plans might have prevented ISIS from ever growing.

davew
09-24-2014, 03:53 PM
So, tell me again why Romney was wrong for the job?
His foreign policy ideas have proven to be far better than Obama's.
Most of his warnings came true and his plans might have prevented ISIS from ever growing.

Because many voters could care less about what happens around the world and would rather USA money be spent on them or around the corner to them. The condition holds true today.

Tom
09-24-2014, 08:59 PM
I thought is went without saying he was FAR more qualified to handle that part of the job.

But maybe most people better their asses out their heads......when economy went up against terrorism, a lot of financial people were in the two towers that day.......

fast4522
09-24-2014, 09:43 PM
FAR more qualified to handle that part of the job, Benghazi, Libya would not occurred on President George W Bush's watch period.

Marshall Bennett
09-25-2014, 04:31 AM
Had Bush remained president and had it his way, we wouldn't be in the position we're in now with ISIS, and perhaps spared us the casualties we're almost certain to experience down the road.
History will one say show without a doubt that Bush had it right, a those that replaced him (Obama administration) blew it badly.

ArlJim78
09-25-2014, 10:31 AM
I see now we're bombing oil factories. Yet another war for oil.
It doesn't seem to both anyone that the so-called moderates we are funding are more closely allied with IS than us.

Clocker
09-25-2014, 10:40 AM
It doesn't seem to both anyone that the so-called moderates we are funding are more closely allied with IS than us.

An alliance of convenience. They are getting more help from ISIS at the moment. They will be back when they need us.

Robert Goren
09-25-2014, 11:04 AM
An alliance of convenience. They are getting more help from ISIS at the moment. They will be back when they need us.More sarcasm in this thread.

Robert Goren
09-25-2014, 11:10 AM
FTFYI have never heard one left winger say that the "good" rebels were a real force.
PS I don't do FTFY to other posters treads and I expect the same courtesy from them. To do use FTFY is very rude.

Robert Goren
09-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Had Bush remained president and had it his way, we wouldn't be in the position we're in now with ISIS, and perhaps spared us the casualties we're almost certain to experience down the road.
History will one say show without a doubt that Bush had it right, a those that replaced him (Obama administration) blew it badly.Maybe not ISIS, but there would be another head of the multi-headed snake of Islamic Terrorism to deal with. We cut off one head and three more grow back. That is something Bush and the right don't seem to understand. I sometimes think Obama gets it but then he does something that makes wonder. There is nothing we can do in the Middle East except make things worse. I wish there were, but there isn't.

Greyfox
09-25-2014, 12:54 PM
There is nothing we can do in the Middle East except make things worse.

That's a philosophy that's very biblical.
"Give unto Caesar what Caesar thinks is his."
Unfortunately, it doesn't work with deranged fascists.

classhandicapper
09-25-2014, 01:28 PM
There is nothing we can do in the Middle East except make things worse. I wish there were, but there isn't.

We can become energy independent and leave. If they kill each other we can have a clearer conscious about it.

We can also take some anti idealistic delusion medicine. That would allow us to deport all the illegals back, close the border to them for legal immigration, and possibly even pay the legal immigrants to voluntarily leave. I know that sounds terrible and it is, but sometimes you can predict a marriage, business partnership, merger, potential relationship etc.. won't work. This one of those times. So we should cut our losses.

Their political, economic, social, and religious belief system is too different from ours to do anything other than create conflict. The percentage that wants what we want should be welcomed, but I believe that's not a very large percentage.

thaskalos
09-25-2014, 01:33 PM
I am in favor of military action against ISIS.

However, I don't think the idea that we create problems for ourselves by getting involved where we don't belong and especially by supporting unpopular and oppressive regimes just because they are willing to do business with us or align with us politically is false. We create problems for ourselves all the time.

I think we should generally always take the moral high road, think long term, only do business with governments that meet a high standard of behavior, and not interfere unless there is a strong consensus in the world that it's necessary. That doesn't make me an isolationist, but I think the neocons are borderline traitors and psychopaths.

No...this doesn't make you an isolationist. But it doesn't make you a realist either. This is clearly not how superpowers operate.

Clocker
09-25-2014, 01:39 PM
To do use FTFY is very rude.

No it isn't. It is a very common and generally accepted form of humor (and sarcasm) on any off-topic or political forum I have ever visited. This is the Internet, not the Op-Ed pages of the NY Times.

classhandicapper
09-25-2014, 01:52 PM
This is clearly not how superpowers operate.

I know.

The US is generally lead by the idealistically delusional totalitarian left and the borderline psychopathic neocons that are trying to create a world that cannot work in the current stage of human development instead of doing what would work better for now.

What works is "live and let live".

Only when forced, you get rid of anyone that aggressively tries to impose their views, values, economics, politics, religion etc... on those that want to live and let live.

Just think carefully about this

The psychotic neocons want to run around the world bombing and killing everyone that doesn't want democracy and to align with us politically and economically. WTF is the difference between them and ISIS other than that they are OUR psychopaths?

Then we have the left that is so delusional it can't recognize obvious differences that will cause conflict or that there are in fact evil people in the world that will not respond to kindness, fairness, negotiation etc... WTF is the difference between some extreme Muslim that want's to do harm to some non believer and the left in this country that wants to destroy a man's career and life for saying something ignorant or because he believe's the Bible?

Neither should be in a leadership position. They are in fact the type of people sensible, easy going, live and let live people, should be trying to isolate themselves FROM.

thaskalos
09-25-2014, 02:05 PM
I know.

The US is generally lead by the idealistically delusional totalitarian left and the borderline psychopathic neocons that are trying to create a world that cannot work in the current stage of human development instead of doing what would work better for now.

What works is "live and let live".

Only when forced, you get rid of anyone that aggressively tries to impose their views, values, economics, politics, religion etc... on those that want to live and let live.

Just think carefully about this

The psychotic neocons want to run around the world bombing and killing everyone that doesn't want democracy and to align with us politically and economically. WTF is the difference between them and ISIS other than that they are OUR psychopaths?

Then we have the left that is so delusional it can't recognize obvious differences that will cause conflict or that there are in fact evil people in the world that will not respond to kindness, fairness, negotiation etc... WTF is the difference between some extreme Muslim that want's to do harm to some non believer and the left in this country that wants to destroy a man's career and life for saying something ignorant or because he believe's the Bible?

Neither should be in a leadership position.

Classhandicapper...if you knew enough about our country's history and its foreign policy through the years, then you wouldn't reserve your hatred only for the left. The right hasn't been a bastion of virtue either.

classhandicapper
09-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Classhandicapper...if you knew enough about our country's history and its foreign policy through the years, then you wouldn't reserve your hatred only for the left. The right hasn't been a bastion of virtue either.

The neocons are republicans.

Marshall Bennett
09-25-2014, 03:24 PM
A few of you simply don't get it. This amazes me because it's basically easy to understand. This is no typical enemy. They're a ruthless monster growing by leaps and bounds. They do not value life as most of the world does. They don't even value their own lives. They strap explosives to themselves, use their woman and children as shields, and they're proud enough to put it on display to the world. Even the Nazis were a far cry less of this. They tried to hide their atrocities.
It's not about the oil. They're ultimate objective is to slaughter western civilization. They hate our guts with a powerful passion. We're already late in dealing with these bastards. How can you realistically believe with our best interest at heart, that we should abandon the situation and let them flourish? You cannot be that stupid.

thaskalos
09-25-2014, 03:27 PM
I was referring to your last paragraph...where the neocon reference was conspicuously missing. You said that the left and the radical Muslims are both not fit to be in power...

Robert Goren
09-25-2014, 03:45 PM
FTFY is not a very common nor is it a generally accepted form of humor (and sarcasm) on any off-topic or political forum I have ever visited. I was a jerk for using it. If I ever use it again I banish myself like BigMack did.FTFY

thaskalos
09-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Sorry CH. I was reading your post on this "smartphone" of mine...and I think I misunderstood the meaning that you were trying to convey.

Now that I read it more carefully, I fully agree. :ThmbUp:

classhandicapper
09-25-2014, 03:52 PM
I was referring to your last paragraph...where the neocon reference was conspicuously missing. You said that the left and the radical Muslims are both not fit to be in power...

Poor writing skills on my part.

I was also referring to the necons. They are willing to lie, cheat, steal, and do whatever else it takes to implement their policy of death and destruction to reshape the world in their own vision.

It's hard for me to believe we can't find leadership that recognizes that there are emotionally ill (evil?) people in the world that must be dealt with differently than well adjusted rational human beings. But at the same time understands we should not be interfering in economics and politics all over the globe unless someone gets aggressive and the world asks for our help.

Even the problem with Russia is probably 50% our fault. We kept expanding NATO and then started screwing around in Ukrainian politics despite promises we would not. That's their border. If I was Putin I would have done something also. Is he a nice guy you can trust? NO. He'll walk all over a weakling like Obama. But we were asking for trouble when we meddled.

johnhannibalsmith
09-25-2014, 03:57 PM
FTFY

:lol: :lol:

Nice to see you can admit you were wrong and convert.

Tom
09-25-2014, 04:01 PM
FTFY

Wow, how RUDE!

Clocker
09-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Wow, how RUDE!

It wasn't rude, it was crude. Totally lacking in finesse or humor. Libs don't do either finesse or humor well.

thaskalos
09-25-2014, 04:32 PM
It wasn't rude, it was crude. Totally lacking in finesse or humor. Libs don't do either finesse or humor well.
And we thought you were one of those neutral guys... :rolleyes:

woodtoo
09-25-2014, 06:54 PM
You have a better one? In all reality there are only real powers in Syria, ISIS and Assad. There was never anybody else although ISIS used to be part of al Qaeda until there was a falling out among the terrorists. The so called "good" rebel were never and are not now a real force there.

I'm happy if your happy. :kiss:

Tom
09-25-2014, 09:17 PM
We are in this mess because we let a groups of muslims get a hold of our weapons, so our wy out is to give a bunch more weapons to another group of muslims.

ok

Clocker
09-26-2014, 01:35 AM
And we thought you were one of those neutral guys... :rolleyes:

Just an objective observation that most of the liberals on this forum have trouble recognizing humor that is any more subtle than a Roadrunner cartoon.

thaskalos
09-26-2014, 02:04 AM
Just an objective observation that most of the liberals on this forum have trouble recognizing humor that is any more subtle than a Roadrunner cartoon.

And I'll bet you've also observed that most of the conservatives here are comedic geniuses...right? What a joke you are....pretending to be "objective" as you take shot after shot at the liberals of this board. Grow some balls, for heaven's sake...and stand up and be counted like the rest of us here. "Objective", my ass...

Clocker
09-26-2014, 02:41 AM
stand up and be counted like the rest of us here. "Objective", my ass...

Stand up and be counted in a slot you define? Sorry, I don't fit. I am very conservative fiscally and moderate on social issues. I am not a Republican, and think that they are only slightly less incompetent than the Democrats.

Any "shots" I take here are generally at a lack of understanding of economic principles and ignorance of the way the private sector works, problems that are endemic here. And I assure you that I have been restrained in pointing out those short comings.

What do I have to gain by posturing on a forum of anonymous horse players? I say what I know as fact from experience. I have tried to share that experience, but generally find myself preaching to the choir. So sometimes I just cut loose and have fun pointing out that the Emperor has no clothes. But never unless true.

thaskalos
09-26-2014, 02:50 AM
Stand up and be counted in a slot you define? Sorry, I don't fit. I am very conservative fiscally and moderate on social issues. I am not a Republican, and think that they are only slightly less incompetent than the Democrats.

Any "shots" I take here are generally at a lack of understanding of economic principles and ignorance of the way the private sector works, problems that are endemic here. And I assure you that I have been restrained in pointing out those short comings.

What do I have to gain by posturing on a forum of anonymous horse players? I say what I know as fact from experience. I have tried to share that experience, but generally find myself preaching to the choir. So sometimes I just cut loose and have fun pointing out that the Emperor has no clothes. But never unless true.

My friend...you came to this board claiming to be an objective observer...and yet, your posting record here indicates that your opinion is totally one-sided. And it sometimes borders on the ridiculous...as in this most current case -- where you've declared that you've only noticed a deficiency of humor among the liberals.

You say that you have nothing to gain by posturing on a forum of anonymous horseplayers...and yet, that's exactly what you are doing.

Clocker
09-26-2014, 03:31 AM
And it sometimes borders on the ridiculous...as in this most current case -- where you've declared that you've only noticed a deficiency of humor among the liberals.

Further proof of my position. Exaggeration is a key element of humor; taking everything literally is a key sign of the lack thereof.

thaskalos
09-26-2014, 03:37 AM
Further proof of my position. Exaggeration is a key element of humor; taking everything literally is a key sign of the lack thereof.

And the comedian who blames his audience for not laughing is not only a bad comedian...but a fool as well.