PDA

View Full Version : Bigbee lawsuit, 40 years ago in Inglewood, Ca.

Stillriledup
09-22-2014, 04:05 PM
I was watching an interesting documentary about the woman who won a huge judgement against McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on her lap, she originally won 2.7 million but then the judgement went down to 500k or something like that. I think they eventually settled out of court for undisclosed sum.

While googling Stella Liebeck vs Mcdonalds i came across a lawsuit filed by Charles Bigbee against western electric company and the Hollywood Park Turf club.

In a nutshell, Bigbee was standing in a phone booth near Hollywood Park late at night on Nov 2, 1974 when a drunk driver veered off the road and hit the phone booth he was standing in. He alleged that the phone booth door "jammed" and he saw the car coming but couldn't get out and was hit. He also sued (out of court settlement?) Hollywood Park Turf Club for serving *too many* drinks to the perp during their night card of horse racing (not sure if it was harness racing or runners)

Interesting case.

If you want to read about it, google "Bigbee vs Pacific" and it should be the first link up on google from Berkeley EDU website. Its a pdf file.

DJofSD
09-22-2014, 04:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TysjNDTWEBc

HUSKER55
09-22-2014, 10:03 PM
your education dollars at work. You order hot coffee and expect what????

MutuelClerk
09-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Anything but what you ordered?