PDA

View Full Version : Is there a diiference in desktop tower brands?

Robert Goren
09-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Is there a diiference in desktop tower brands? What about laptops? My first computer was an IBM. Everyone since has been an HP. Is brand important anymore?

upthecreek
09-22-2014, 09:44 AM
Is there a diiference in desktop tower brands? What about laptops? My first computer was an IBM. Everyone since has been an HP. Is brand important anymore?

Probably not I think its user preference Im a Dell man I had a Dimension desktop with Windows Vista for 8 years and no major problems I just bought a Dell Inspiron All-In-One

DeltaLover
09-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Is brand important anymore?

It is when it comes to support and guarantees.

Brand matters more on laptops..

HUSKER55
09-22-2014, 09:54 PM
I found out the hard way that buying any desktop is wasted effort. You are way ahead to have it built locally and that way they can service it.

You will save yourself a lot of headaches, in my opinion.

Flysofree
09-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Maybe you are right.. but what is your guarantee that the person or locals that do this will still be in business in a few years? I guess you use how long in business as a guide here?

headhawg
09-23-2014, 09:50 AM
If you're looking at mainstream brands (HP, Dell, etc) they are pretty much the same. If you want quality components then you have to go the boutique route where the tendency is to build the computer with the options that you want and to use higher quality parts. (Falcon Northwest is king in this area, but you'll pay for it.) Hardware is unlikely to fail if basic maintenance is done and the parts aren't the bottom-of-the-barrel Chinese crap. That said, I also think that it depends on what one considers the normal life of a computer. I suppose that eventually the components will fail, but I build a new box about every five years or so. Not because things are failing -- I just want something faster/better. If you think that the life is 10 years then you probably will run into some kind of hardware issue.

The bottom line is that most problems with computers are caused by user error. I'm lucky that I can fix 'puters myself, but people really shouldn't need a "tech", at least not for the hardware part. And if the problems are software-related it's -- again -- probably something that the user did (or maybe didn't do). Considering how commonplace computers are people really should learn how to use them properly. It's not rocket surgery. :)

Tom
09-23-2014, 10:26 AM
It's not rocket surgery. :)

OH, I could tell ya tales!:bang:

HUSKER55
09-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Maybe you are right.. but what is your guarantee that the person or locals that do this will still be in business in a few years? I guess you use how long in business as a guide here?

Good point! Let me restate my position. The new repair guy I have was referred buy another business I go to. He does Systems Repair and analysis and etc for business and corporations. Been in business over 15 years. Works out of his house. Yes, he is gone more often than not but when he is out and I have left him a message he will stop by since I am on his way home.

Yes,...it is luck of the draw. But I still maintain there are good guys and gals out there and you are better off with them. For example, he will send me a list of parts. I order them and ship them to him. I only pay for his labor and the actual cost of the part.

If I call him sometimes he can get on my computer and he fixes it. He understands that some of us didn't age well.

I also maintain that there are decent people like him all over and all you need to do is find them. [ok...ok....I would like to think they are all over. Please don't bust my bubble] :D

There is no way I am the only one.....right?

DJofSD
09-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Good point! Let me restate my position. The new repair guy I have was referred buy another business I go to. He does Systems Repair and analysis and etc for business and corporations. Been in business over 15 years. Works out of his house. Yes, he is gone more often than not but when he is out and I have left him a message he will stop by since I am on his way home.

Yes,...it is luck of the draw. But I still maintain there are good guys and gals out there and you are better off with them. For example, he will send me a list of parts. I order them and ship them to him. I only pay for his labor and the actual cost of the part.

If I call him sometimes he can get on my computer and he fixes it. He understands that some of us didn't age well.

I also maintain that there are decent people like him all over and all you need to do is find them. [ok...ok....I would like to think they are all over. Please don't bust my bubble] :D

There is no way I am the only one.....right?
In a different era, these were backyard or shade tree mechanics.

If you knew one and trusted him, they're worth their weight in gold.

Why would PC repairs be any different?

FocusWiz
09-23-2014, 12:03 PM
The fellow who built my last four machines has been around for over 20 years. Frequently, I pay slightly more for the machine than I would have paid if I bought the parts alone (he obviously pays less). I give him my specifications (these are the critical for me: two system drives on drive drawers and a separate data drive plus card readers and ROM drives and the number of USB ports I want). I cannot get a retail unit built like this, but these custom machines don't cost much more. Plus, if I added my required components to the retail machine, it would end up costing a lot more.

If I need an upgrade or repair, he is a short drive away and I am not trusting my machine to the shipping companies or some kids at Best Buy who like to search through machines you bring them.

This is the second such vendor I have used since 1985, when I had my first machine custom built.

DeltaLover
09-23-2014, 12:20 PM
For my last two desktops (an HP and a system76) I just customized them through the web app and use them without ever having any kind of a problem... (I hope it stays this way !)

In the past, I used to either build my machines from scratch or order them from a local store. Not any more.

Dave Schwartz
09-23-2014, 02:40 PM
I buy white boxes. ALWAYS. (Except for laptops.)

The quality and performance I get for the money is just amazing compared to name brands.

How do I know if I do not buy them? Because periodically I buy used name brand machines to add to my stable. On another occasion, I have received commercial-grade machines as well.

The brand name machines simply do not measure up, IMHO.

I believe that the best course of action is to find a local store - preferably one that has been in business for a while. Buy a machine and see how it goes. Maybe you decide never to buy from them again, but more likely (in my experience) you find someone that becomes a known commodity to you.

The locally-owned computer store we've been doing biz with for the last 14 years just does a phenomenal job of supporting us. Not only do we get priority service (without paying extra) but we get high-quality parts from the beginning (when they build us a machine).

tupper
09-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Build your own -- you can easily save 30%-50% off name brand and get better components.

It is so easy, and there are zillions of tutorials online. If you can connect your stereo, you will have no trouble building a computer.

After your first build, you will wonder why you paid such high prices in the past for inferior components.

There are only six essential components to connect together:
1. The motherboard;
2. The CPU;
3. The memory sticks;
4. The hard drive;
5. A DVD burner (optional);
6. The case and power supply (often bundled together).

That's it, unless you want a to insert a special graphics (or audio) card into a slot on the motherboard. All of those items attach to each other merely with connectors and card slots. The only other thing that you have to do is secure some of the items to the inside of the case with a Phillips screw driver.

You won't need a warranty, because you are your own repair person. If one of those six components breaks, you know how to unplug it and swap it out. Furthermore, most components come with warranties.

headhawg
09-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Build your own -- you can easily save 30%-50% off name brand and get better components.
You won't need a warranty, because you are your own repair person. If one of those six components breaks, you know how to unplug it and swap it out. Furthermore, most components come with warranties.While I will agree about building your own and choosing better components, the 30%-50% is overestimating the cost savings -- by a lot. You might be able to save a little, but then you're getting crap parts. And the warranty thing is actually more of a pain then a reason to build your own. The turnaround time is outrageous -- customer service isn't a strong suit of most computer companies. Several years ago I had a brand name (can't remember which company) motherboard go bad -- under warranty -- and I had to send it to Taiwan for repair. The time frame I was given was six weeks. Dell might get things same-day or overnighted to them; Joe Schmoe will not. I just bought a new board instead. Maybe things are handled differently now but I doubt it.

PaceAdvantage
09-24-2014, 12:26 AM
Dell has an excellent shipping policy. At least for the one thing I've purchased from their website. I bought a $30 stylus for my Dell Venue 8 pro (an excellent 8-inch Windows 8 tablet by the way)...they shipped it overnight for free. I like that kind of perk.

Other places might make you pay close to as much for overnight shipping as the pen was actually worth in total...

Canarsie
09-25-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm wondering how many people had machines fail (brand new) due to their the manufacturer within the first of purchase. I always built my own until this HP I'm using now. None ever failed within the first year but I was always there to perform preventive maintenance every month or two. Making sure to blow dust out, look at the cables and wiring, make sure all the cards and memory are seated correctly, and so on.

I'm pretty sure the top shelf guys on here are always asked for recommendations on what to buy. If listened to (hard to imagine why not) my strong hunch is machine specific problems rarely popped up.

Most people who built machines probably have the least amount of problems due to their expertise. Back in the day overclocking was a true art and could save a person hundreds of dollars compared to a faster processor bought from a shop or manufacturer. Adding a top grade graphics card (some would have their own fans) would bring temps to a fairly dangerous level. Adding multiple fans and other cooling methods brought the machine down to near normal levels. Knowledge like this is immeasurable and benefits the average buyer immensely.

So my long winded answer is use a local pro (or someone here) and you won't regret it. Phone call responses won't be canned especially if they wind up in India.

Also the local guy or gal can't be beat on what type of sites and programs to avoid. One wrong push of a key could spell impending doom. The local person would also DEMAND that you don't use "pass" or "12345" as a password. So many systems get compromised because of this form of laziness.

tupper
09-25-2014, 04:03 PM
While I will agree about building your own and choosing better components, the 30%-50% is overestimating the cost savings -- by a lot. You might be able to save a little, but then you're getting crap parts.
Actually, it is the opposite.

The brand name outfits often use crap components to make more profit. Building your own will allow you to have quality items at a much lower price.

30%-50% savings is common when building your own machine.

And the warranty thing is actually more of a pain then a reason to build your own. The turnaround time is outrageous -- customer service isn't a strong suit of most computer companies. Several years ago I had a brand name (can't remember which company) motherboard go bad -- under warranty -- and I had to send it to Taiwan for repair. The time frame I was given was six weeks.
Well, I never had such an experience, and I don't know any others who have. Also, by getting quality components from the start, I have had very few problems that have required using a warranty.

Furthermore, I would rather send-in a single component than have to take my entire machine out of commission and send it in somewhere.

Dell might get things same-day or overnighted to them; Joe Schmoe will not. I just bought a new board instead.
If so, the overnight shipping is figured into the original inflated price of the Dell machine with the inferior components.

In addition, who is going to install the new component into the Dell? -- not clueless Joe Schmoe. He can't even plug a simple connector and is utterly reliant on a repair person -- Joe Schmoe's computer is out of commission while Geek Squad takes their time installing a memory stick.

One other advantage of building your own -- no brand name bloatware!

headhawg
09-25-2014, 05:18 PM
You're going to have to show me how to save 50%. I'll pick some Dell or HP box at random, and you can go to NewEgg or Amazon and price out the equivalent machine with quality parts. There was a time that builders could do it cheaper, but that's not really possible now.

I ALWAYS pick quality parts. However, that doesn't mean that something still won't fail. I just wanted to mention the warranty hassle. And if it's a critical part, does it matter if it's one component or the whole box you're sending back? The computer's not available either way. I mentioned the turnaround time because if your building your own you are not going to get a speedy resolution to the warranty issue on a component from ASUS, Gigabyte, Corsair, or whomever. Dell might get a replacement motherboard from company X the next day. I wasn't stating that a customer of Dell's would get their repaired box overnighted to them.

PaceAdvantage
09-27-2014, 08:48 PM
You're going to have to show me how to save 50%. I'll pick some Dell or HP box at random, and you can go to NewEgg or Amazon and price out the equivalent machine with quality parts. There was a time that builders could do it cheaper, but that's not really possible now.

I ALWAYS pick quality parts. However, that doesn't mean that something still won't fail. I just wanted to mention the warranty hassle. And if it's a critical part, does it matter if it's one component or the whole box you're sending back? The computer's not available either way. I mentioned the turnaround time because if your building your own you are not going to get a speedy resolution to the warranty issue on a component from ASUS, Gigabyte, Corsair, or whomever. Dell might get a replacement motherboard from company X the next day. I wasn't stating that a customer of Dell's would get their repaired box overnighted to them.This was my experience as well. Up until I went out and bought a Dell Alienware a few years ago, I had built from scratch most of the PCs that have graced my desk.

When I built my last machine, I realized I saved nothing...and in fact, spent more simply because I bought top of the line parts...and that machine barely lasted me two years before something on the motherboard blew...so I decided to go find the best gaming machine I could find for the money, and settled on the Alienware...even though they were recently bought out by Dell...no regrets...and saved myself the hassle of buying all the individual components and putting them together...

Flysofree
09-27-2014, 10:29 PM
Guess I'm late in joining this thread, but maybe this is why Apple Computers ---what are they called "Macs" are so expensive. High quality parts maybe??

Capper Al
09-28-2014, 07:20 AM
Check out Consumer Reports and once you find one or two that you like there Google them and check out YouTube also for more info and demos.

I'm liking the latest All-In-One computers. They've found their niche now with Levono 27 inch for playing games with the family.

Levono All-In=One Computer Review (link) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DHzceXMb0I)

headhawg
09-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Guess I'm late in joining this thread, but maybe this is why Apple Computers ---what are they called "Macs" are so expensive. High quality parts maybe??Not necessarily. Now it's more like "market value". Apple almost went the way of Gateway until the Ipod. That product saved the company, and now there's so many fanboyz and fangirlz they can charge what the market will bear. (People waiting for hours for a IPhone 6 and paying over retail? That's so stupid; says a lot about Apple customers. But I digress...) I'm not saying that they don't make good computers, but I wouldn't pay a premium for them.

DeltaLover
09-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Apple has become the standard when it comes to IT professionals and especially devops and developers. In my previous job, in the whole floor, where more than 100 developers were working, there was probably one or at max two of them using WINDOW$ (7).. The rest were using Macs in their majority while much fewer linux.

MJC922
10-19-2014, 09:27 AM
This was my experience as well. Up until I went out and bought a Dell Alienware a few years ago, I had built from scratch most of the PCs that have graced my desk.

When I built my last machine, I realized I saved nothing...and in fact, spent more simply because I bought top of the line parts...and that machine barely lasted me two years before something on the motherboard blew...so I decided to go find the best gaming machine I could find for the money, and settled on the Alienware...even though they were recently bought out by Dell...no regrets...and saved myself the hassle of buying all the individual components and putting them together...

Sorry to bump the thread, I agree with you though, building your own isn't saving anything these days. You can buy 'previously ordered new' never been touched business-grade stuff from the Dell outlet now like Precisions and Optiplexes for a third of retail and get it with on-site next day warranty repair for three years. I fix plenty of Dells at work but this kind of warranty is a great value for everyday people who don't want to open up their machines.

MJC922
10-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Apple has become the standard when it comes to IT professionals and especially devops and developers. In my previous job, in the whole floor, where more than 100 developers were working, there was probably one or at max two of them using WINDOW$ (7).. The rest were using Macs in their majority while much fewer linux.

May depend where you work. Where I work the software we develop (at least the server-side stuff) only runs on Windows, not necessarily a good thing these days but a reality. We have very little apple stuff around. Apple is hot because of mobile and the ipad iphone revolution is undeniable... but for the larger corporations I think you'll find for much of the IT infrastructure plenty are running active directory domains, exchange email servers and MS Office installed on every corporate desktop in every cubicle. I agree many devs do prefer macs though, more than a few go home from work coding on Windows all day and sit down to a mac at home. Some even get us to purchase a macbook for work and then host a windows instance on it in a virtual machine.