PDA

View Full Version : Differences Between US and GB Racing?

flatstats
09-20-2014, 08:52 PM
There are big differences between US and GB racing - mostly the fact that we have independent bookmakers that produce an industry starting price, and that they allow the taking of a fixed price pre-race. We also have betting exchanges that allow punters to back or lay a horse and thus create another independent market.

Other differences include the code of racing (we have flat turf, flat all weather and jumps / national hunt racing) and the difference in race types (we have mostly 'handicap' races, where weights are allocated based on past performances).

But what about quantity of data?

Specifically for the flat turf there are ~37 racecourses in the whole of Great Britain (3 in Scotland, 2 in Wales, 32 in England).

The distance in miles between the furthest north and south is about 470 miles. Some trainers ship horses by road these long distances daily.

In 2013 there were a total of 6,396 races on the flat turf in GB. 57,426 runners contested those races.

Questions:

1. How does this compare to US races? How many races took place in the whole of the US in 2013.

2. How many individual results (horses) in that time period? re: GB is 57,426

3. Are US races more localised, i.e. will connections (trainer, owner) and jockeys tend to focus in one state only? Or is interstate shipping common practice?

4. Are you concerned about travelling stats for connections that only race at one course and briefly visit another course either in the same state or in another state?

5.Do you think US sample sizes of races are sufficient?

6. Do you think GB sample sizes are way too low?

7. Do you mix inter state data? i.e. Would you consider A Sires record in New York course when analysing the same sires offspring that are racing in Florida?

flatstats
10-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Surely there are people here with their own databases?

I'm just asking what kind differences there are; how do sample sizes compare and such.

What's the figure for total races in US in 2013? What's the total number of races in east cost and west coast?

castaway01
10-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Surely there are people here with their own databases?

I'm just asking what kind differences there are; how do sample sizes compare and such.

What's the figure for total races in US in 2013? What's the total number of races in east cost and west coast?

There were 46,814 races in the United States last year. It was the lowest total since the 1960s. Since the average field was 7.85, my calculator says that 367,490 results. I never really thought about it that way, but that was one of the questions you asked.

I have no idea about east vs. west coast. If a track is carried by my Internet wagering site or simulcast location, I can bet it no matter where it is, so I don't consider location a factor.

It's the same with some of the other questions you asked. There are some small tracks where trainers and riders focus on just that area, and other trainers who have horses at a number of different tracks and the riders move wherever the big race meets are. It can't really be generalized.