PDA

View Full Version : Claiming horses coming off layoffs

jasperson
09-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Some tracks have rules concerning horses coming off layoff that cannot be claimed if some conditions are met. Is there anyway that we can find out which tracks have this and what conditions are? I have seen optional claiming races for non winners of 2 that had a horse that had won 3 races other than maiden and claiming but he didn't have a claiming price. I think this is a good handicapping factor to know,but how do we know what tracks have this.

ultracapper
09-19-2014, 08:38 PM
California is one of the states. If you enter a horse at a claiming price equal to or higher than it ran before the layoff, the right to claim the horse can be waived. I believe the layoff must be 6 months or longer, but I'm not absolutely certain about that. It could be 9 months.

ultracapper
09-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Washington state is another. Emerald Downs has waiver claimers also.

Stillriledup
09-19-2014, 08:40 PM
UC is right, Calif has this, but i'm not sure if any other tracks have adopted this rule.

Calif also has voided claims rules where the horse has to return sound after the race or it gets sent back to original owner.

johnhannibalsmith
09-20-2014, 12:15 AM
Kind of an old thread, but has some useful information that might be a bit dated at the end.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100824&highlight=Waiver

Brogan
09-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Delaware is another jurisdiction that has a form of waiver claiming.