Binder
05-01-2004, 08:02 PM
What can I say???

Congratulations to
Patricia and Roy Chapman of the Someday Farm,
John Servis and Stewart Elliot
You did it !!
What a dream come true for me to say
Smarty Jones winner of the 130th Kentucky Derby !!!!
Thank you Smarty Jones
:)

http://www.teamsmartyjones.com/ Smarty Jones winner of the 130th Kentucky Derby

Richard
05-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Here's the situation.Of the eleven Triple Crown winners,only one horse(Assault,1946)won the Kentucky Derby with closing odds greater than 4/1.SJ's closing odds were 4.1/1.Also demonstrated a little versitility today by deviating from his characteristic early running style and became a presser.Could this be the end of the dry spell?

melman
05-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Lot of very happy people in our area Binder. Winning lots of money on a race is great however it was that something extra today. A Derby winner home based at the PHA. Let me say that again a Kentucky Derby winner home based at the PHA. Sounds great. A big tip of the hat to John Servis for sticking with Stew Elliott but that just shows the type of guy he is. One who does not forget his friends. No matter what happens in the next couple races Binder wait until PA Derby Day. You will need ear muffs to help with the crowd noise when Smarty shows up.

GameTheory
05-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Who was that guy last year who wrote that the idea of an NY-bred winning the Derby made him puke? He must be really disgusted this year...

BillW
05-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by GameTheory
Who was that guy last year who wrote that the idea of an NY-bred winning the Derby made him puke? He must be really disgusted this year...

This was great. This guy was a sort of rough car salesman type (No disrespect intended ... looked like a guy that would be interesting to sit down and have a beer with). Reminded me of a mild case of the type of character Rodney Dangerfield has played in movies such as Caddyshack and Back To School (???).

The bluebloods must be having fits after two years in a row. :D

Bill

kingfin66
05-02-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by melman
A big tip of the hat to John Servis for sticking with Stew Elliott but that just shows the type of guy he is. One who does not forget his friends.

Forget that friend angle. The guy may not be a "big name" jockey, but he sure gave a big time ride today. My hats off to him. He knows that horse and put him into perfect position to win. There is no point breaking something that isn't broken. Go Smarty Jones!

Binder
05-02-2004, 02:56 AM
Yes, its a great day At PHA!!!

For me its
Meadowlands -Friends, Monmouth-Family but my heart is at Philly
The Hugh statue of the horse in the beautiful lobby has got to be Smarty now
The free coffee when you come in !!
Your right too about Stewart Elliot How many winners does he have
on frozen tracks, in bitterly cold weather in 4 horse fields with horses breaking down
all around him?. But the Chapmans and John Servis stuck with him and I was
real happy for him too. I agree The Penn Derby will be crazy
I tried to pull off getting down there Tuesday for Smarty Jones Day
but just couldn't make it. But I've got to make it this Labor day
For Smarty.
What a trip this is going to be
Go Smarty Go:)

JimL
05-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Its a bird, its a plane, No its Smarty Jones!!!! JimL

blind squirrel
05-02-2004, 09:25 AM
now that you fans in PHILLY finally
have a winner, will you please stop
booing SANTA CLAUS?

Buckeye
05-02-2004, 09:47 AM
He was a BAD Santa Claus, so there! We will continue to boo badness.

Buckeye
05-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Finally? Give us a break.:cool:
Philadelphia is the "Cradle of Liberty" for crying out loud.
No kidding. That was a bad santa so we booed him. We are the champions, my friend.

Tom
05-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Is it true Smarty Jones trained by running up those same steps Rocky did?? :D

Serioulsy, BillW, theses guys aren't bluebloods, but no one tops their class.

BillW
05-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Tom
Is it true Smarty Jones trained by running up those same steps Rocky did?? :D

Serioulsy, BillW, theses guys aren't bluebloods, but no one tops their class.

Without a doubt, hats off to a great team (and for breaking me even for the race :rolleyes: )

Bill

Richard
05-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Think about it.The Smarty Jones (and for that matter,also Funny Cide)story screams out one big message:"THE LITTLE GUY CAN WIN IN THIS GAME TOO!".There's no thoroughbred aristocracy or highborn connections in the SJ team.Consider the following:
1.Smarty Jones was'nt foaled at a Claiborne Farm nor sired by a Native Dancer.
2.Someday Farm(and this not a put-down)probably cannot excercise a "Price Is No Object!"attitude exhibited by a Godolphin Stables or a Thoroughbred Corp..
3.John Servis probably does'nt have a "national" stable with horses on either coast as might a Baffert,a Frankel,or a Lukas.
4.And finally,we can probably assume that the riding career of Stewart Elliot does not include jetting about the country to meet Stakes commitments as might a Bailey,a Nakatani,or a Day.
Go Team SJ,Go1

cj
05-02-2004, 08:45 PM
In all honesty, I believe I could be the richest man in the world and would still never, ever spend a million for a horse. Where is the challenge in that? (Not to mention the fiscal insanity!) I love when the little guy wins, and its happening more and more and more...

WINMANWIN
05-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Nice tribute trainer Servis gave Robert Camac who was a trainer
at Philly Park for many years and was involved with the owners
of Smarty Jones. Camac and his wife were murdered by her son.
Servis said, this one is for you too Bobby Camac.............

cj
05-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Cashed many a ticket on Camac horses at the old (well, new old) Garden State Park. I somehow missed the story about his murder. Thanks WIN

Valuist
05-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Its funny how the media is portraying this warm and fuzzy picture of Chapman, trying to re-create last year's Funny Cide. Isn't this guy a car-dealer? Can you imagine rooting for an attorney? Chapman is Bud Selig with an oxygen tank.

blind squirrel
05-03-2004, 11:10 AM
[LOL}valuist....BUD SELIG is the reason i haven't been
to a baseball game since the last strike...

headhawg
05-03-2004, 11:57 AM
What is it about Smarty that people don't like? Last year it seemed everyone was rooting for Funny Cide regardless of whether they thought he was the best 3 year old or not. I sense more negativity about SJ than I would have expected.

Just wondering.

JPinMaryland
05-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Maybe they are just trying to get better odds for the next race.

Bruddah
05-03-2004, 08:16 PM
and I had my Smarty Jones cap on weeks before anyone outside of Arkansas thought he might win. From the Rebel Stakes forward this colt was impressive. I knew he would win the Ky Derby when he won the Arkansas Derby from the 11 hole on a muddy track. The outside posts had been the kiss of death for two turn races during the meet. He completely dominated. The repeated drum beat from the "talking head experts" (Andy Beyer & others) was " He hasn't beat anybody. He had beaten every horse they ever lined up against him and Saturday was no different. This horse has the heart of a Champion and the fans in Philly should be proud. His fans at Oaklawn have stood and screamed SMARTY! SMARTY! SMARTY! SMARTY! until we are hoarse. Every pun intended.

Bruddah
05-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Just wanted to correct the statement made stating Smarty Jones didn't have a Native Dancer bloodline. Simply not true. Native Dancer was SJ's 5th generation great great great grandsire. His sire line is Native Dancer, Raise A Native, Mr Prospector, Gone West, and Elusive Quality. The Raise A Native sire line has been dominant Ky Derby winners since 1987.

JPinMaryland
05-03-2004, 09:00 PM
are there any horses that DONT have Native Dancer at the 5th gen. or less?

Richard
05-03-2004, 11:42 PM
What I was immediately thinking about was SJ not being an immediate son of Native Dancer.I did'nt follow the bloodline that far back.I consider myself humbly corrected.My overall point however,stands.
Richard

Bruddah
05-04-2004, 12:30 AM
there are approximately 250 starters in the Ky Derby from 1987 to may 1, 2004 which did not have The Native Dancer-Raise A Native bloodline.

JPinMaryland
05-04-2004, 01:39 AM
Buddha how did you do that calculation so fast and what % does 250 represent? It would be nice to be able to do calculations like that very quickly and really do an analysis of bloodlines.

Stillriledup
05-01-2014, 01:41 AM
10 year anniversary of Smarty Jones Derby win.

Where does time go.

NJ Stinks
05-01-2014, 01:58 AM

Where does time go.

I don't know but I must say I love his name! :cool:

clocker7
05-01-2014, 02:14 AM

Where does time go.
Let's not forget the 100th anniversary of Old Rosebud's victory either. It was a major turning point in racing history. The purse that year doubled from $5k to $10k. It was a rejuvenation of sorts, and led to the participation of Eastern stables the next year, overcoming a multi-decade drought of so-so affairs and putting the KD on track to becoming our most important race.

Hoist a julep in his honor. He was chalk, and maybe that's an omen. :)