That is good news....I was starting to worry about him....:jump:

TheEdge07
09-18-2014, 07:02 PM
All time great?

Only horse to win the cap 3 times..

I have him a notch below great..

PhantomOnTour
09-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Sixteen wins in 34 lifetime starts, including eight Gr1 victories.

Any horse in this day and age who competes at a high level and compiles that record (34 starts) is okay in my book.

Rex Phinney
09-19-2014, 02:27 AM
All time great?

Only horse to win the cap 3 times..

I have him a notch below great..

Well your crazy.

Have to admit as a California racing homer this is somber day. My wife and I always described him a "big stupid animal". You never knew if he was going to run them off their feet or "sit down" as my wife called it. Reminded us of our stubborn as hell Corgi dog, no controlling him, just a fast as can be brute!

I'll miss him like no other. My best memory will be his last win, as he thundered down the stretch in the 2014 Big Cap, my wife telling "he didn't sit down! He didn't sit down" and me with a drunken "come get a taste Mucho Macho Man"

Nothing lasts forever but god damnit we loved you Dude! They don't make em like that any more!

classhandicapper
09-19-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm happy about this. He was a sensational horse for a long time, but he had clearly slipped a notch. It was time to go out gracefully and not take any unwarranted risks. Great job by the horse and the connections. :ThmbUp:

Mineshaft
09-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Yep i agree great job by the connections and he had lost a step or 2 i think it was the right move to retire him.

Fingal
09-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Going to miss him at works. Even if it was one of those days where you didn't recognize many on the track, you knew who Dude was. Dana Barnes ( Wife of Jimmy Barnes, Baffert's main assistant ) was usually on him for his gallops & she'd bring him over to the clocker's booth at the Gap while the track renovation was going on. He'd get his Smarties candy & after the candy ( because for him that was priority 1 ) getting in a couple scratches of the nose & ears before they headed out.

Those were the times you forgot how many Graded races, how much money he'd made.

mostpost
09-19-2014, 02:50 PM
How about a farewell appearance at Santa Anita on Breeders Cup Day?

VeryOldMan
09-19-2014, 05:36 PM
I'm happy about this. He was a sensational horse for a long time, but he had clearly slipped a notch. It was time to go out gracefully and not take any unwarranted risks. Great job by the horse and the connections. :ThmbUp:
This.

In my book, he doesn't rate in the gelding hall of fame quite like a Kelso or Forego, e.g., because he never had to carry the weight, but he has been a very honest horse who deserves to end up enjoying a well-earned retirement.

Tom
09-19-2014, 07:36 PM
How about a farewell appearance at Santa Anita on Breeders Cup Day?

He's going to be paraded at SA next Saturday, the 27th.
Agree, an appearance on the Big Day would be appropriate - it is his backyard after all.

The game owes a guy like this who shows up every dance and is not embarrassed to lose - he gets more of respect in defeat than most of the 5-6 race wonders that win a couple, doge mores, then retire.

Cholly
09-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Put Cholly in the genuflecting "We're not worthy" column.

27 of his 34 races were either GI or GII; Sixteen (16) were at the 1-1/4 mile distance, toting weight in the 120's. Anymore it is extremely rare for a horse to get the classic distance even 4 or 5 times before calling it quits.

Game On Dude...he was game and he was a Dude!

tanner12oz
09-21-2014, 07:36 PM
This horse burned a ton of BC money for me

Rex Phinney
09-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Put Cholly in the genuflecting "We're not worthy" column.

27 of his 34 races were either GI or GII; Sixteen (16) were at the 1-1/4 mile distance, toting weight in the 120's. Anymore it is extremely rare for a horse to get the classic distance even 4 or 5 times before calling it quits.

Game On Dude...he was game and he was a Dude!

Like I said they don't make them like this anymore, just eye-popping stats.

23 times he hit the board
Ran at 9 different tracks
Won on dirt and synthetic regularly

netbet
09-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Does anyone have the lifetime PP's for Game On Dude?

Thanks.

Patrick

GMB@BP
09-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Very very good horse.....compare him to Lava Man I think he was a much more genuine horse, he ran well all over the country.

burnsy
09-22-2014, 10:50 AM
He's going to be paraded at SA next Saturday, the 27th.
Agree, an appearance on the Big Day would be appropriate - it is his backyard after all.

The game owes a guy like this who shows up every dance and is not embarrassed to lose - he gets more of respect in defeat than most of the 5-6 race wonders that win a couple, doge mores, then retire.

Took some good shots betting against him........but I totally agree with you. Was a gamer and always came back for more. The 5-6 race wonders are yet another reason all these tracks are hurting or closing. It doesn't matter what game it is....when the best are ducking then retiring. How do you expect enthusiasm? There is more to competition than handle and making money by entering only the ones you think you will win.......Then going to the breeding shed. ;) .....(crickets chirping) like some of these defunct race tracks........

Rex Phinney
09-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Took some good shots betting against him........but I totally agree with you. Was a gamer and always came back for more. The 5-6 race wonders are yet another reason all these tracks are hurting or closing. It doesn't matter what game it is....when the best are ducking then retiring. How do you expect enthusiasm? There is more to competition than handle and making money by entering only the ones you think you will win.......Then going to the breeding shed. ;) .....(crickets chirping) like some of these defunct race tracks........

I agree, the Dude was basically a given on any big race day out here in the last 3 years. That's good for racing.