PDA

View Full Version : Obama declares war on.......Ebola

Tom
09-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Sending 3,000 troops to West Africa to "fight" Ebola.

This is NOT what our military is for.
This is NOT our job. This is the territory of the UN - where the Hell are they?
Why are WE paying for it?

But at least he found an enemy that won't behead people and embarrass him.
And he needs a new news cycle.

BlueShoe
09-16-2014, 05:43 PM
For sure. If we are to commit 3000 troops, why not put them where they belong and can do some good? The Southern border for example.

davew
09-16-2014, 05:44 PM
clearly ebola is a greater threat to US than ISIS.

TJDave
09-16-2014, 05:48 PM

Much greater, in fact.

BlueShoe
09-16-2014, 06:00 PM
This is a joke, right? Everything I have found states that ebola spreads slowly and an outbreak in the USA is not likely. Contrast that with what a chemical, biological, or old fashioned explosive attack by ISIS could do.

fast4522
09-16-2014, 06:01 PM

This is NOT what our military is for.
This is NOT our job. This is the territory of the UN - where the Hell are they?
Why are WE paying for it?

But at least he found an enemy that won't behead people and embarrass him.
And he needs a new news cycle.

Don't sweat it Tom, he is just drawing another red line into the sand. :lol:

TJDave
09-16-2014, 06:36 PM
This is a joke, right? Everything I have found states that ebola spreads slowly and an outbreak in the USA is not likely. Contrast that with what a chemical, biological, or old fashioned explosive attack by ISIS could do.

No joke.

The Ebola virus is just a plane ride away from your door. It kills indiscriminately and is pretty good at it...about 60% of those infected die. Contrast that with the Civil war, America's bloodiest which killed approximately 2% of our population.

While it may not be as likely now, doing nothing will ensure it's likelihood later.

We need to diligently fight both these scourges.

classhandicapper
09-16-2014, 06:38 PM
You guys are misunderstanding. He's using the troops to round up all the sick people and transport them to the US where he will give them amnesty right after the election. He figures alive or dead he'll still have more democrats here.

Mike at A+
09-16-2014, 09:19 PM
3,000 to fight Ebola.
1,000 to fight ISIS.

This must be that Common Core Math I keep hearing about. :lol: :lol: :lol:

boxcar
09-16-2014, 09:30 PM
No joke.

The Ebola virus is just a plane ride away from your door. It kills indiscriminately and is pretty good at it...about 60% of those infected die. Contrast that with the Civil war, America's bloodiest which killed approximately 2% of our population.

While it may not be as likely now, doing nothing will ensure it's likelihood later.

We need to diligently fight both these scourges.

With guns and bullets, we kill Ebola? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Boxcar
P.S. Civil War ended a long time ago. What is the other scourge we have to fight?

Clocker
09-16-2014, 10:07 PM

Got to have boots on the ground. You can't stop an epidemic with air power.

Tom
09-16-2014, 11:34 PM
You guys are misunderstanding. He's using the troops to round up all the sick people and transport them to the US where he will give them amnesty right after the election. He figures alive or dead he'll still have more democrats here.

Any that die will be relocated in Chicago.

davew
09-17-2014, 12:11 AM
Any that die will be relocated in Chicago.

so they can each vote 10 times?

the ebola outbreak is in an area that has less than 10% people served by plumbing for water and people defecate and vomit in the open. I was thinking the military is needed to control mobs and help transport and bury the dead (logistics).

Sort of a precursor to an outbreak in a place like Detroit, or even an ISIS attack on some city/area.

TJDave
09-17-2014, 02:34 AM
3,000 to fight Ebola.
1,000 to fight ISIS.

Ebola can kill 6 of 10.

War rarely kills more than 1 of 10.

Extrapolating, we should devote 6000 in fighting Ebola to every 1000 to fight ISIS.

boxcar
09-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Got to have boots on the ground. You can't stop an epidemic with air power.

Balderdash! There is always the nuclear option.

Boxcar

BlueShoe
09-17-2014, 10:12 AM
With "Boots-on-the-Ground." Each soldier will be issued a magnifying glass. They will walk around scanning carefully for those nasty little buggies that cause ebola, and when they find one, wham!, they stomp their boot on the ground and that's that. :ThmbUp: :rolleyes:

Mike at A+
09-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Ebola can kill 6 of 10.

War rarely kills more than 1 of 10.

Extrapolating, we should devote 6000 in fighting Ebola to every 1000 to fight ISIS.
I have no reason to doubt your numbers but my initial point was meant to illustrate that I don't believe 3,000 of our military should be sent into an area infested with a communicable disease when there are world organizations more qualified to deal with a health crisis of this nature. This is clearly the responsibility of the UN, the WHO and the nations in closer proximity to the affected areas. I think 0bama needs to be much more focused on our problems here at home, most notably an unhealthy labor participation rate that is crippling many American families. I can also play the "race card" here but I won't. Let everyone consider those implications for themselves.

Clocker
09-17-2014, 11:39 AM

It's okay, because Ebola is not Islamic.

DJofSD
09-17-2014, 12:03 PM
I have no reason to doubt your numbers but my initial point was meant to illustrate that I don't believe 3,000 of our military should be sent into an area infested with a communicable disease when there are world organizations more qualified to deal with a health crisis of this nature. This is clearly the responsibility of the UN, the WHO and the nations in closer proximity to the affected areas. I think 0bama needs to be much more focused on our problems here at home, most notably an unhealthy labor participation rate that is crippling many American families. I can also play the "race card" here but I won't. Let everyone consider those implications for themselves.
The WHO and other agencies are overwhelmed and over matched.

First and foremost, you must understand the people in these countries are ignorant of too many things we take for granted. They do not understand what is a virus. They hide from any official, even when they're there to help or even just ask questions. They're told it is all a conspiracy.

They recycle anything which has come into contact with a sick person including clothes, bedding and equipment.

And to make matters worse, any one that is ill is hidden away.

So, like it or not, it has reached to point where massive aid including a military style use of force is needed if for no other reason just to contain the outbreak.

classhandicapper
09-17-2014, 01:20 PM
This thread gave me a few chuckles despite the seriousness of the problem.

Greyfox
09-17-2014, 01:42 PM
The last three Presidents, Clinton , Bush Jr., and Obama have all been committed to helping Africa.

Obama's commitment and views are colored though, no pun intended, by a personal long history in his roots.
Speaking in Ghana, he was reported as saying:

"I have the blood of Africa in me."......

Obama also got openly personal — recalling the grandfather who endured being called "boy" as a cook for the British in Kenya, the father who once herded goats in a small Kenyan village.

Committing money or health aid to fighting Ebola seems sensible.

But committing soldiers? boots on the ground?
If I had a son or daughter in the military, I wouldn't want them used for that purpose on another continent.

Robert Goren
09-17-2014, 01:55 PM
As I understand, the troops would be used to make sure the quarantined stay quarantined. If take a few troops to stop the spread of this disease, I am all for it. I think it passes the "It is likely to work" test. I hate it when we do things that we know have a very little chance of working just to say we are doing something.

Greyfox
09-17-2014, 02:35 PM
As I understand, the troops would be used to make sure the quarantined stay quarantined. If take a few troops to stop the spread of this disease, I am all for it. I think it passes the "It is likely to work" test. I hate it when we do things that we know have a very little chance of working just to say we are doing something.

There are 196 Nations in the World today.
All but 21 have armies, weak as they may be.
China, Russia, India, Iran, and so on have large armies.
Tell us why the United States has to be the one to send boots on the ground to Africa?
Don't those other nations perceive a threat in this horrible disease too?

DJofSD
09-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Tell us why the United States has to be the one to send boots on the ground to Africa?
I would estimate most of those countries do not have the logistics to be able to deploy their armies anywhere on the globe.

Tom
09-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Better to use the money here at home.
Refuse entry here to anyone who has been to Africa.

Greyfox
09-17-2014, 02:44 PM
I would estimate most of those countries do not have the logistics to be able to deploy their armies anywhere on the globe.

Huh?
India has over 1.3 million soldiers and they don't have the logistics?
They do have the bomb though.
China has 1.2 million soldiers and they don't have the logistics? and the bomb.

What logistics are you talking about?
Are you saying they could keep up a flow of goods to support 3000 military men?
Sorry, ain't buyin'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_military_and_parami litary_personnel

Tom
09-17-2014, 02:46 PM
OK, then we will round up all those infected and drop them off in India and China.

Fair enough.

TJDave
09-17-2014, 02:47 PM

Because it is expected of us. The United States is the de-facto leader of the free world.

Greyfox
09-17-2014, 02:55 PM
The United States is the de-facto leader of the free world.

Once upon a time that was true for a few decades.

Clocker
09-17-2014, 03:04 PM

According to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_deployments), we have troops in over 150 of them.

DJofSD
09-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Huh?
India has over 1.3 million soldiers and they don't have the logistics?
They do have the bomb though.
China has 1.2 million soldiers and they don't have the logistics? and the bomb.

What logistics are you talking about?
Are you saying they could keep up a flow of goods to support 3000 military men?
Sorry, ain't buyin'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_military_and_parami litary_personnel
I ain't sellin' it.

I said most, not all, then you cherry pick from the top of the list. Geeze.

reckless
09-17-2014, 07:56 PM
It's okay, because Ebola is not Islamic.

Neither is ISIS, despite what the 'I' in the ISIS acronym means, according to a stupid US President who shall rename nameless.

reckless
09-17-2014, 07:58 PM
3,000 to fight Ebola.
1,000 to fight ISIS.

And don't forget the 0 number of troops to fight the invaders in our war on our southern border.

Tom
09-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Biden has ISIS's number.
He has it spot on.
Who would have thought Joe Biden would turn out to be the brains of the outfit?
To his credit, his plan for Iraq back when he was a primary candidate, was to split Iraq into three countries - Northern Alliance, Sunies and Shiites.

Looking back, seems to have been a good idea.

I will officially endorse Biden over Hillary.
Maybe even over any repub they find.

Tom
09-17-2014, 09:33 PM
"I have the blood of Africa in me."......

And he has the blood of the Benghazi diplomats on his hands.
Go spend your money on them, then Jerk - not my taxes.

Better yet, you and Michelle MOVE THERE and help them out first hand.

DJofSD
09-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Here's one example: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29256443

Tom
09-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Let the UN PAY 100% of our expenses - the rest of the worthless world relies too much on us. Let THEM stand up and do whatever pathetically little these mock nations can do.

NUNA
Not us, not anymore.

Robert Goren
09-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Don't those other nations perceive a threat in this horrible disease too?Do you really want Russian or Chinese troops in Africa?

Robert Goren
09-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Let the UN PAY 100% of our expenses - the rest of the worthless world relies too much on us. Let THEM stand up and do whatever pathetically little these mock nations can do.

NUNA
Not us, not anymore.When it comes to the UN paying, isn't that really the US is paying only with some funds diverted off to pay the crooks?

Tom
09-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Obviously, we need to drop all support of the UN, give it no money, kick it off our soil, and drop out of it.

UN - United Nothings.

Greyfox
09-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Do you really want Russian or Chinese troops in Africa?

You don't get out very much eh?

China and Africa have very solid economic trade agreements in place that are growing daily.

johnhannibalsmith
09-20-2014, 12:08 PM
When it comes to the UN paying, isn't that really the US is paying only with some funds diverted off to pay the crooks?

TOUCHDOWN GOREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

davew
09-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Neither is ISIS, despite what the 'I' in the ISIS acronym means, according to a stupid US President who shall rename nameless.

ISIS is an ancient egyptian goddess. That group using the name now is the Iran Syria Independent State. not a smidgen of islum involved

burnsy
10-01-2014, 12:26 PM

I laughed when I read this, didn't say anything though. Yeah, ISIS beheaded a few people with butter knives so they are capable of these vicious attacks...turn the TV off. Or you don't understand statistics. I knew one jack ass on a plane would bring it here. How is this rocket science? Oh yeah, the political "arguers" are blinded by bias and its got to be wrong if certain people say it...I get it. Its here now and wait until it spreads..... :bang: I suppose that's a longshot too? You found a lot, must of been looking really hard too. It took all of what? A month to get here? Since this thread was started. Not saying there will be an outbreak....but mark my words. People will get it. In this day and age when do diseases not spread? I heard ISIS was planning a pick up truck invasion...that Ebola....its non existent..oh the logic.

boxcar
10-01-2014, 01:11 PM
With "Boots-on-the-Ground." Each soldier will be issued a magnifying glass. They will walk around scanning carefully for those nasty little buggies that cause ebola, and when they find one, wham!, they stomp their boot on the ground and that's that. :ThmbUp: :rolleyes:

Well...then...maybe the strategy should be to airlift thousands of boots and drop them on the natives so that they can do the stompin'. :ThmbUp:

Boxcar

reckless
10-01-2014, 02:40 PM
ISIS is an ancient egyptian goddess. That group using the name now is the Iran Syria Independent State. not a smidgen of islum involved

I missed your reply until right now.

I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight.

I did see/hear that 'I'SIS meant Islamic.... I actually heard that on MSNBC, Dave.

Clocker
10-01-2014, 03:05 PM
The group originally called itself ISIL, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. They later changed that to ISIS, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. They have since dropped that and simply call themselves the Islamic State.

The administration still refers to them always as ISIL. Most everyone else in the west still uses ISIS.

reckless
10-01-2014, 03:10 PM
The group originally called itself ISIL, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. They later changed that to ISIS, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. They have since dropped that and simply call themselves the Islamic State.

The administration still refers to them always as ISIL. Most everyone else in the west still uses ISIS.
What gives DaveW ?:)

Clocker
10-01-2014, 03:13 PM
There is a short history at wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant) that seems to be accurate.

reckless
10-01-2014, 04:06 PM
There is a short history at wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant) that seems to be accurate.

Thanks Clocker.

Originally, I thought his use of the term ISIL, instead of ISIS, by our silly president and his boot lickers in the media, was just a ploy to confuse the sick, the tired, the uneducated and the outright dimwits in this country -- simply his constituents, his apologists and the Democrat Party base.

tucker6
10-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks Clocker.

Originally, I thought his use of the term ISIL, instead of ISIS, by our silly president and his boot lickers in the media, was just a ploy to confuse the sick, the tired, the uneducated and the outright dimwits in this country -- simply his constituents, his apologists and the Democrat Party base.
For a minute there when I read your post, I thought you were talking about Mostie, but then I realized Mostie isn't tired.

Clocker
10-01-2014, 04:27 PM

The more cynical folks on the right say that Obama insists on ISIL instead of the widely used ISIS to avoid the association with Syria, because he was criticized for not doing anything to aid the rebels in Syria. Many believe that if we had aided the Syrian rebels, it would have been much hard for ISIS to gain a foot hold in Syria. I don't think there is enough evidence either way on that.

One thing that is clear is that the administration never uses the words Islam or Islamic in referring to the group, except the few times that Obama has denied that the group is Islamic.

Tom
10-01-2014, 06:39 PM
On a similar note, the current Executive Branch of the USA is called ASSES.

Tom
10-01-2014, 06:40 PM
One thing that is clear is that the administration never uses the words Islam or Islamic in referring to the group, except the few times that Obama has denied that the group is Islamic.

Professional courtesy?

Greyfox
10-01-2014, 07:00 PM

That post bears repeating. :ThmbUp:

His administration will not use Islam and Islamic in association with terrorists because that has been decreed by Obama.

Let us not forget that Obama has deep Islamic roots on his father's side.
Obama believes that Islam is a "religion of peace."
Therefore when he sees violent Islamists, he concludes that they cannot be Islamic.
He's like a man who stands in front of a green wall and keeps shouting "that's not a green wall."
No matter how many times he says it, that wall remains green.
And those Islamist terrorists, are still Muslims, whether he says so or not.
In fact, they may be practicing a purer interpretation of the Qur'an than many other Muslims.
Barry, Islam is not a peaceful religion.
Never has been, never will be.

The other thought that crosses my mind is that if you can't name what a problem is, then you have an additional problem.
Political correctness might succeed in America where the terrorists don't.

DJofSD
10-02-2014, 08:00 AM
The other thought that crosses my mind is that if you can't name what a problem is, then you have an additional problem.
Political correctness might succeed in America where the terrorists don't.
Makes me wonder what would happen if they ever went to some kind of 12 step meeting.

Don't those things always start out with "Hi, I'm Barack, and, I'm an alcoholic."

Tom
10-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Golfaholic

DJofSD
10-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Serial slicer.

davew
10-02-2014, 10:27 PM
I missed your reply until right now.

I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight.

I did see/hear that 'I'SIS meant Islamic.... I actually heard that on MSNBC, Dave.

what? I haven't heard the white house press secretary ever call them that. With projections of up to 1.2 million infected with ebola by January, I hope President Obama declared war soon enough. If only 20,000 get infected, it will be a great victory against african borne disease.