PDA

View Full Version : USTA site "New Start"

RaceTrackDaddy
09-15-2014, 03:48 PM
A great column at USTA. http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolutenm/templates/article.aspx?articleid=60938&zoneid=36

Here is but a snip of it <snip>“I don’t know why they call them mile races. A seventh grade geometry student can figure out that only the number one horse actually races one mile, the rest of the horses travel a longer distance.”</snip>

Here is another <snip>“Starting at the back of the line, and several of the horses will always be in the rear of the pack, is like going to a baseball game and having your team down by ten runs in the first inning. This made me want to turn off the screen after about 15 seconds.”</snip>

Whether one agrees or disagrees, this is an interesting article with some very thought out proposed changes to improve the sport we love.

Sea Biscuit
09-15-2014, 07:04 PM
A great column at USTA. http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolutenm/templates/article.aspx?articleid=60938&zoneid=36

Here is but a snip of it <snip>“I don’t know why they call them mile races. A seventh grade geometry student can figure out that only the number one horse actually races one mile, the rest of the horses travel a longer distance.”</snip>

Here is another <snip>“Starting at the back of the line, and several of the horses will always be in the rear of the pack, is like going to a baseball game and having your team down by ten runs in the first inning. This made me want to turn off the screen after about 15 seconds.”</snip>

Whether one agrees or disagrees, this is an interesting article with some very thought out proposed changes to improve the sport we love.

A seventh grade geometry student can figure out that only the number one horse actually races one mile, the rest of the horses travel a longer distance.”

I actually disagree with this notion. If the #1 horse goes wire to wire and runs over the pylons he just might run close to a mile. But they don't/can't do that. They run at least 2 feet away from the pylons. A mile has 5280 feet and a horse going wire to wire from the one hole travels something like 5340/5345 feet. 60 to 65 feet more than a mile. This was clearly demonstrated when they used to have Trakus at WEG and they used to give out feet traveled by each horse in the program itself.

I am a little busy with the Mohawk program right now. I will dig some wire to wire from the one hole examples from the old WEG programs which I have saved with the exact feet traveled.

RaceTrackDaddy
09-15-2014, 07:20 PM
I actually disagree with this notion. If the #1 horse goes wire to wire and runs over the pylons he just might run close to a mile. But they don't/can't do that. They run at least 2 feet away from the pylons. A mile has 5280 feet and a horse going wire to wire from the one hole travels something like 5340/5345 feet. 60 to 65 feet more than a mile. This was clearly demonstrated when they used to have Trakus at WEG and they used to give out feet traveled by each horse in the program itself.

I am a little busy with the Mohawk program right now. I will dig some wire to wire from the one hole examples from the old WEG programs which I have saved with the exact feet traveled.
Been such a long time but back in the day with the hub rail, I used to watch the surveyors at the Meadows at the beginning of the month survey the track. They never used the hub rail to measure; but rather about six feet from it when they surveyed the track from the start line to the finish. Wonder if they still do it? If so, the horses might race a mile but if they measure it from the pylons, no horse races a mile but all race more than one mile... Very thought provoking post ...thank you

Sinner369
09-15-2014, 07:33 PM
I have many friends who do not like harness racing for the same reason...ie..they race in a single line for 1/4, 1/2 mile of the race, etc.....

I always try to explain that the horses cannot go full speed and that they have to rest (or go 3/4, 7/8 speed) saving themselves for the last half mile.

To understand harness racing........you have to understand the pace of the race..........thoroughbreds also have to go 3/4, 7/8 speed during portions of the race but it is not as obvious to the human eye.

If you do not know pace handicapping.......you will never appreciate harness racing!

Ray2000
09-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Sinner nailed it.

and you need to consider heart or grit too.

I saw a race at the meadows in the 70's where everyone on the backside knew the connections were going to try for a new LTM on an Invitational Pacer, going to stud. Everyone that is but the 7 yo gelding who drafted all the way, eyeballed the "stud" in the stretch and went right on by. New LTM for a gelding..

If the author wants speed and a staggered start then might as well do away with the horses. Use Midget cars...... :D

Sea Biscuit
09-15-2014, 11:59 PM

Couldn't find any examples from horses going wire to wire from the one hole but here are some examples from the middle posts with the distance in feet covered during the mile race.

April 7, 2012 Race 8

5 Golden Receiver 5 1/2 1/2 1/1T 1/1T 1/3T 1/5T 1:49.2 27.1 5343

April 9 2012 Race 9

4 Majestic(L) 4 1/1Q 1/1T 1/2H 1/3 1/3Q 1/H 1:55.1 29.3 5344

April 12, 2012 Race 2

5 Terror Smile 5 1/1H 1/2 1/2Q 1/2 1/3H 1/1T 1:56 28.3 5341

April 12 2012 Race 4

7 Lexus Helios 7 1/1Q 1/2Q 1/1H 1/1H 1/3Q 1/7H 1:58 28.1 5347

April 13,2012 race 4

4 Bullet Point 4 1/2 1/1H 1/1T 1/1T 1/2H 1/1T 1:52.2 28.3 5333