PDA

View Full Version : Los Al attendance

dilanesp
09-15-2014, 01:02 PM
2,700 this past Saturday afternoon. This is not viable. The track is in a location that is hard to get to, and there's no interest.

duncan04
09-15-2014, 01:22 PM
2,700 this past Saturday afternoon. This is not viable. The track is in a location that is hard to get to, and there's no interest.

Attendance is meaningless. It's all about handle. Unless it's a big race day or big meet, people don't show up. Much easier and more convienent to wager from home

TravisVOX
09-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Attendance is meaningless. It's all about handle. Unless it's a big race day or big meet, people don't show up. Much easier and more convienent to wager from home

Not quite. While you're supposed to be 100% right, the money a track earns on wagers placed off track is generally peanuts compared to what they earn via the on-track dollar. This is especially true for smaller tracks and the impact is lessened as you move up the ladder.

Rex Phinney
09-15-2014, 02:30 PM
They should have given Hollywood's dates to Golden Gate. The best thing for California racing as a whole is to unite the two circuits. Running a six month meet at Santa Anita and retrofitting Los Al cannot be a permanent solution.

dilanesp
09-15-2014, 02:34 PM
They should have given Hollywood's dates to Golden Gate. The best thing for California racing as a whole is to unite the two circuits. Running a six month meet at Santa Anita and retrofitting Los Al cannot be a permanent solution.

Absolutely. The late Tim Osterman advocated this in the Racing Digest, and nobody listened.

We had 5 and 6 horse fields on BOTH circuits for years. Run one circuit instead, and you have bigger fields.

The horsemen said it would mean travel costs. But this was actually done from the 1930's to the 1960's, before the interstates and widespread air travel, when travel was a lot more of a PITA. This is why horses like Seabiscuit, Noor, and Citation ran important races up in Northern California.

Stillriledup
09-15-2014, 02:34 PM
This Los Al meet is very bad from a quality standpoint, they are scrapping together what they have, which isn't much. Golden Gate offering far superior cards to what Los Al is offering. (GG closed Yesterday, it appears Stockton and Fresno are on deck).

dilanesp
09-15-2014, 02:37 PM

I think the economics of the Los Alamitos meeting actually correlate a lot more with live attendance than you might realize. Nobody's interested in this meeting, and handles aren't great either. (Even the horsemen, who pushed for it, aren't entering their horses.) And Los Al spent a lot of money on facility upgrades hoping that people would show up.

I think this experiment lasts only as long as Ed Allred decides he wants to lose money on it.

Stillriledup
09-15-2014, 02:45 PM
I think the economics of the Los Alamitos meeting actually correlate a lot more with live attendance than you might realize. Nobody's interested in this meeting, and handles aren't great either. (Even the horsemen, who pushed for it, aren't entering their horses.) And Los Al spent a lot of money on facility upgrades hoping that people would show up.

I think this experiment lasts only as long as Ed Allred decides he wants to lose money on it.

Also, the "novelty" of Los Al running races where there are actual real jocks, trainers and actual thoroughbreds there and afternoon racing you would think the place would get more people.

bello
09-15-2014, 02:50 PM
I saw upgrades of the track which they needed to do to accommodate the wider turns. If they upgraded the grandstand, I would hate to see it before the upgrades.

Hollywood and Pomona had personality and character. This place is what I call an industrial racetrack. No ambiance to speak of. Awful paddock, no green,
No reason for anyone but the hardcore to show up there. And those would be the hardcore that cannot afford a computer.

I miss Pomona! I would go cross country every other year to get to the fair.

dilanesp
09-15-2014, 03:02 PM
I saw upgrades of the track which they needed to do to accommodate the wider turns. If they upgraded the grandstand, I would hate to see it before the upgrades.

Hollywood and Pomona had personality and character. This place is what I call an industrial racetrack. No ambiance to speak of. Awful paddock, no green,
No reason for anyone but the hardcore to show up there. And those would be the hardcore that cannot afford a computer.

The fact that Fairplex so freely gave up those racing dates is actually a very scary data point for horse racing. Solano doesn't run a meeting anymore either. (The Orange County and San Mateo County Fairs have also gotten rid of horse racing, but those are different cases.)

The fairs ran horse races because they made money and brought people to the fair. The LA County Fair is one of the biggest fairs in the country. If horse racing is no longer worth it to them, this may mean that we see additional fairs shut down their meets in the future.

Stillriledup
09-15-2014, 03:17 PM
The fact that Fairplex so freely gave up those racing dates is actually a very scary data point for horse racing. Solano doesn't run a meeting anymore either. (The Orange County and San Mateo County Fairs have also gotten rid of horse racing, but those are different cases.)

The fairs ran horse races because they made money and brought people to the fair. The LA County Fair is one of the biggest fairs in the country. If horse racing is no longer worth it to them, this may mean that we see additional fairs shut down their meets in the future.

With no slots in Calif, the future is bleak, especially since they can't seem to figure out a way to get full card simulcasting and they're just getting around to having a few "satellite" locations to wager in such a big state.

WP1981
09-16-2014, 07:35 PM

Hollywood was an absolute dump when I started going there in 2001ish until the day it closed. Santa Anita has character, but Hollywood?

Granted the facilities aren't great at Los Al, they do keep it spotless. They built a new lake and had to have spent tens of thousands plus on new landscaping, so I don't get what you are talking about in regards to green. The paddock is what it is, should they tear it out or would adding a couple faux plants satisfy you?

This track was obviously built for their small night meet and I commend them for the job they have done and the time in which they made it serviceable. This also occurs at a time when tracks are closing and the fact they are upgrading and investing is only being met with crap like this. I don't get it. They aren't going to ship up north, period.

Free parking, $3 entry and the ability to get close to some decent horses. Let's get our torches and pitchforks.

bello
09-16-2014, 07:58 PM
I was a regular at Hollywood in the late 70's to mid 80s and it had plenty of character and characters. Then they built the backyard paddock which improved it for and after the breeders cup. When they knew they were dumping it, I agree it went downhill fast.

If you like Los al, go and enjoy yourself.....It is just not befitting of a big Mertopolis like the LA basin and will never draw a younger or family crowd....just a bunch of hardcore gamblers. Aqueduct in NY is the same way, but likely much dirtier than Los Al.....A better comparison would be if I just left the comparison to Pomona, which was fun and unfortunately replaced by Los Al.

DelMarJay
09-17-2014, 04:53 AM
I think I have something of value to add here. Why, because I traveled north to pull a double/double for Sat. and Sun. racing at Los this past weekend(every thoroughbred day and mixed nighttime races for both days). The racing situation has been misrepresented in most of the previous comments. I state this because:

1) It was close to 100 degrees EVEN AT NIGHT FOR BOTH DAYS. Maybe someday Ed can enclose the grandstand with glass and air conditioning like some other tracks, but for now it wasn't his fault as nobody could have foreseen the record scorching weather.

2) After years of going to Fairplex, I strongly state the racing was measurably better at Los. Also, they did a fantastic job of turning the half mile oval into a very unique mile track. Longest stretch in U.S. really does make a visually impressive sight and requires some extra brain power be used by the talented jockey colony. Add to that a GREAT dirt track.

3) I believe I read the field size and handle was up over Fairplex comparisons. While Fairplex was a historically great idea to expose the sport to new patrons, most of the people who strolled in from the fair stayed a short time before bolting and bet very little.

4) Trust me, I'm not a politician or a car salesman. There were TONS of families at Los this past weekend. Troopers due to the heat, most stayed all day and consumed mass quantities of cold liquids. Plenty of live tellers and SAM betting machines made it fan friendly.

Remember, this meeting had short planning due to the lateness of Fairplex giving up. They just need better marketing. I couldn't find anybody who knew anything about getting on their mailing list. Ed needs to up the efforts to get people like me who DO NOT live right there near the track. How about more giveaways and a voucher or two since it does cost a fortune just to drive from where I live in the San Diego area. Might want to expand food and drink choices now that MORE people are coming than for normal night racing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the racing(even with the heat scratches) and urge people to come out for the Winter short meet. We'll root for normal SOCAL weather and I guarantee the diehards AND the newbies will come away saying the future isn't as bleak as the naysayers would have you believe.

HPFridays
09-17-2014, 03:43 PM
I agree with Del Mar Jay's assessment. While I wish HOL was still open, to me Los Al. is a mini HOL and is the correct size for most days attendance.

I do wish they'd spice up their food and drink offerings a bit more but do think mgmt. is listening to comments/complaints and actively trying to get better.

I'd say the horsemen are supporting the meet quite well.

9/18 - 72 horses entered for the 8 race card
9/19 - 70 horses entered for the 8 race card.

I think HOL or FPX would've loved to have roughly 9 horses per race.

elhelmete
09-17-2014, 03:57 PM
I think I have something of value to add here. Why, because I traveled north to pull a double/double for Sat. and Sun. racing at Los this past weekend(every thoroughbred day and mixed nighttime races for both days). The racing situation has been misrepresented in most of the previous comments. I state this because:

1) It was close to 100 degrees EVEN AT NIGHT FOR BOTH DAYS. Maybe someday Ed can enclose the grandstand with glass and air conditioning like some other tracks, but for now it wasn't his fault as nobody could have foreseen the record scorching weather.

2) After years of going to Fairplex, I strongly state the racing was measurably better at Los. Also, they did a fantastic job of turning the half mile oval into a very unique mile track. Longest stretch in U.S. really does make a visually impressive sight and requires some extra brain power be used by the talented jockey colony. Add to that a GREAT dirt track.

3) I believe I read the field size and handle was up over Fairplex comparisons. While Fairplex was a historically great idea to expose the sport to new patrons, most of the people who strolled in from the fair stayed a short time before bolting and bet very little.

4) Trust me, I'm not a politician or a car salesman. There were TONS of families at Los this past weekend. Troopers due to the heat, most stayed all day and consumed mass quantities of cold liquids. Plenty of live tellers and SAM betting machines made it fan friendly.

Remember, this meeting had short planning due to the lateness of Fairplex giving up. They just need better marketing. I couldn't find anybody who knew anything about getting on their mailing list. Ed needs to up the efforts to get people like me who DO NOT live right there near the track. How about more giveaways and a voucher or two since it does cost a fortune just to drive from where I live in the San Diego area. Might want to expand food and drink choices now that MORE people are coming than for normal night racing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the racing(even with the heat scratches) and urge people to come out for the Winter short meet. We'll root for normal SOCAL weather and I guarantee the diehards AND the newbies will come away saying the future isn't as bleak as the naysayers would have you believe.

Right on, I agree.

I'll add that Vessels is a very nice venue with good food and service.

elhelmete
09-17-2014, 03:58 PM
I agree with Del Mar Jay's assessment. While I wish HOL was still open, to me Los Al. is a mini HOL and is the correct size for most days attendance.

I do wish they'd spice up their food and drink offerings a bit more but do think mgmt. is listening to comments/complaints and actively trying to get better.

I'd say the horsemen are supporting the meet quite well.

9/18 - 72 horses entered for the 8 race card
9/19 - 70 horses entered for the 8 race card.

I think HOL or FPX would've loved to have roughly 9 horses per race.

And don't forget this is with no turf racing.

dilanesp
09-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Also, they did a fantastic job of turning the half mile oval into a very unique mile track.

Sure is a unique mile track. It's the only one that isn't a mile.

dilanesp
09-17-2014, 08:31 PM
I believe I read the field size and handle was up over Fairplex comparisons.

Racing at the fairs almost certainly loses money, unless it draws people to attend the fairs. They don't charge admission, the handle is tiny, etc.

So saying a dedicated race meet's numbers are better than the fairs is basically irrelevant.

Compared to Santa Anita's numbers, Los Al's are really terrible. (I won't even mention any comparison to the meet which directly preceded Los Al's.) And Santa Anita is not exactly a highly profitable track-- they went through a bankruptcy a few years back.

There's no way Allred isn't losing a ton right now. Now maybe it's all due to the heat and lack of promotion and racing fans will flock to his dumpy track once it cools down. But I am not holding my breath.