PDA

View Full Version : Are you more or less "into" Professional sports?

Stillriledup
09-15-2014, 05:21 AM
I had virtually zero interest in watching the NFL games today. If i saw one or two plays, it was by accident. This was not a conscious decision on my part to "boycott" the NFL for one reason or another, i just didnt have the desire and i'm not sure why.

I think the other 3 major sports are safe for now (for my viewership), but i find myself less and less interested in these games, especially the NFL.

Take fantasy football out of it and the need to view the games so you can make wagers at a later date, have you gotten more or less into the games strictly as a fan of the sport?

If you've gotten more and more excited about watching professional sports on tv and or going to the games live, let us know why.

lamboguy
09-15-2014, 05:44 AM
since i don't bet football, my interest is less than zero. i look up the results and hope that the Raider's win though.

i am kinda of still interested in horse racing. the only reason is because its my way to money that i try to give away to deserving charities and organizations that benefit unfortunate children. but i have given up on owning race horses, i can only lose if i do that and that don't help the kids.

Robert Goren
09-15-2014, 01:37 PM
I watch the NFL and the NBA. I do fantasy football, but I watched it before I started. I do not bet sports and haven't for a very long time because I sucked at it. I watch the games like I'd watch a tv show or a movie for pure enjoyment although all the commercials suck. I also watch some NASCAR. I have given up on baseball. It just doesn't work on TV.

Valuist
09-15-2014, 02:27 PM
I still like the NFL and I think the key is the relatively small number of games (only 256 regular season). When I look at the NBA, MLB or the NHL, all have regular seasons that drag on too long.

Dark Horse
09-15-2014, 02:56 PM
From a betting perspective there is far more opportunity in a league where teams play 82 or 162 games per season than a league where they play 16 games. Plus the NFL is the most overanalyzed competition in the world.

Like any form of investing, successful sports betting requires a level of primary focus. Secondary focus won't do. I took three years off to develop and program a horse racing methodology. During this time I renounced the NBA, NFL, and MLB and never missed it. With the horse program completed, I began to program some of my old stuff in those sports. Just on the side, but interesting enough to keep my attention peaked. To me programming -of top models- is key, because the alternative is far too time consuming. As to watching games on tv, that would mostly be a waste of time. I definitely prefer two minutes of heart pounding horse racing over 11 minutes of NFL action squeezed into a three hour package that revolves primarily around commercials.

RaceBookJoe
09-15-2014, 02:57 PM
NFL has turned into a joke to me, but I still watch more than an occasional game regardless of who is playing. Will watch the MNF game tonight. I do like college fb, but that's not for this thread. I might watch the Yankees if they are on, but otherwise don't watch MLB. I really enjoy playoff time in the NHL and will watch as many of those games as I can. Growing up I never watched hockey. I could care less about the NBA, to me its the most boring of them all. If I had to rank in order : NFL, WWE , NHL, MLB, Weather Channel, QVC , Emergency test, ...then maybe to the NBA :) Thank God for Horseracing whether on tv or my iPhone.

Johnny V
09-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I have not watched a NFL game in over a year. I have no desire or interest in the game any longer. I have learned long ago that I cannot win at betting NFL games and I am tired of the antics of the athletes on and off the field. I do like MLB but it is tough to watch an entire game on TV for the most part unless it is the playoffs or the WS and even then sometimes. Although the betting opportunities in MLB are what is the primary interest for me, I still like the sport especially in attending a game in person which is great sport to watch live at a stadium.
I used to like boxing but I could care less for the most part any longer unless something really sparks my interest. Racing and MLB are the only two I really care about and follow regularly any longer.

TJDave
09-15-2014, 07:06 PM
I have little interest in professional team sports. Wouldn't watch the NFL or NBA if you paid me. I'll watch the occasional soccer match or golf tournament without a care who wins. I'll sometimes listen to a baseball game on the radio. Takes me back.

EMD4ME
09-15-2014, 08:33 PM
As a mets fan, the wilpons have made my interest in baseball zero. As a knicks fan, I gave up on basketball 14 years ago as I don't relate to the players today. As a Giants fan, I'll watch an occasional game if I'm back from aqueduct in time. I never liked hockey.

I have no desire and have wondered if it was a childhood thing (being a sports fan). I could care less what happens in the world of sports.

Stillriledup
09-15-2014, 08:50 PM
I think people have gotten away from sports a bit due to the salaries of the players, the lack of loyalty between teams and players and so on and so forth.

Back in the 1950s, you could wake up as a Yankee fan and know for sure that Mickey Mantle would be wearing number 7 in pinstripes. Nowadays, nothing is for certain.

Think of all the Cespedes jerseys that were sold in Oakland, the Lester jerseys in Boston and the Price jerseys in Tampa. All worthless now.

And, because the players make millions, its hard to relate for many.

magwell
09-15-2014, 09:53 PM
I have little interest in professional team sports. Wouldn't watch the NFL or NBA if you paid me. I'll watch the occasional soccer match or golf tournament without a care who wins. I'll sometimes listen to a baseball game on the radio. Takes me back.I'm the total opposite I love MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, never would watch Soccer or Golf and only watched Tennis when Anna K played......... ;)

MutuelClerk
09-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Less, way less. Then again I'm getting older and hating everything. I still LOVE the NHL but go to more OHL games. Cheaper, excellent seats, good product. Also, my nephew is a sophomore in HS. He wrestles and plays football. My niece ( senior thankfully) plays lacrosse her team is the basically the Washington Generals, but I go because I love my niece. Watching HS sports takes you back. I enjoy that most of all.

Pro sports, even college sports has priced the average guy out of the game. HDTV keeps his interest.

Stillriledup
09-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Less, way less. Then again I'm getting older and hating everything. I still LOVE the NHL but go to more OHL games. Cheaper, excellent seats, good product. Also, my nephew is a sophomore in HS. He wrestles and plays football. My niece ( senior thankfully) plays lacrosse her team is the basically the Washington Generals, but I go because I love my niece. Watching HS sports takes you back. I enjoy that most of all.

Pro sports, even college sports has priced the average guy out of the game. HDTV keeps his interest.

No doubt. Any games worth going to are THOUSANDS per seat. There are only millionaires and billionaires at these games, the average Joe, especially one with a family, has no shot to go unless he gets freebies somehow. (even with free seats, its still pricey to go with a family)

NJ Stinks
09-16-2014, 12:53 AM
I'm with you on the player salaries, Stillriledup. Not too mention what the owners haul in. Big turnoff - in fact, I don't do pro sports live unless somebody practically begs me to do them a favor and go. I'm not paying for anything pro unless it's minor league level.

Having said that, here's where my sports interest lies:

1. Golf - far and away #1. Those guys can win a lot of money but at least they have to earn it. No teammates to be carried by or blame. And most pro golfers seem to have their egos in check - probably because they know their game could go south in no time.

2. Baseball - love the sport! There is nothing better than watching a crucial baseball game. No clock means nothing can save anybody from anything and three outs is sheer genius!

3. College football - great game to watch because anything can and usually does happen.

4. Pro football - if I couldn't bet on it, I'd watch it much less. Boring game more often than not....with far too many commercial interruptions and not enough action.

Lost interest completely in the NBA. Can't relate to the tatoos, the endless last few minutes....College basketball used to thrill me but those days are long gone. Probably started when star players jumped to the pros after their sophomore year. No continuity hurts - we see that in horseracing when our stars retire early....I don't appreciate enough the skill involved in car racing or the noise for that matter....

I should add that the NHL is an exciting game to watch. Because it is. But I usually wait for late playoff action because there are too many teams playing for too many playoff spots for far too long.

One more thing. The most viewed sport in my house is horseracing by a Long(acres) Mile. :ThmbUp:

dav4463
09-16-2014, 12:54 AM
I watch everything, especially the Spurs.

thaskalos
09-16-2014, 02:03 AM
It seems to me that I watch less television in general as I get older. Time seems more valuable as it gets in shorter and shorter supply. :)